HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Karlsson Appreciation Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 12:28 PM
HavlatMach9

vCash: 500
Wasn't explosive as others have said. Watching some old clips of him, the first few steps of him were frighteningly fast. Still yesterday he was at least as fast as anyone else like Karlsson himself said.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:26 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
When he took that first wind-up 44 seconds into the game. I.. felt like my world was at ease..

ReginKarlssonLehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 01:51 PM
sens2k9

Thank you for giffing this

sens2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
I want one more than anything: http://www.the613.com/products/karlsonn

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:54 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
nvm lol

18Hossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Ghost in the Shell
#WeLikeOurKarlssons

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Silfverberg View Post
Karlsson*
I take it you haven't been to Ikea.

Ghost in the Shell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Senscore
The Superior B-Side

vCash: 4734
Yeah it's a joke.

I wonder if they will update it every time he wins a Norris. That's seriously awesome though.

Senscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Nordic*

Where would he rank if he never gets his wheels back? Just like Orr, the wheels is the one thing that (mostly) sets him apart from the rest of the field.

Nordic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:24 AM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

In that unlikely event, he'll merely be an improved Lidstrom.

dennilfloss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:42 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Where would he rank if he never gets his wheels back? Just like Orr, the wheels is the one thing that (mostly) sets him apart from the rest of the field.
Exactly, it's his skating that sets him apart from others as it was for Bobby Orr. Unfortunately for Orr his injuries & specifically his knees gave out. Karlsson will be a marked man in the playoffs & throughout his career, hopefully he will be quick enough & smart enough to avoid most hits but it's the cowards like Cooke that hit you when you have your back turned that you really have to wtch out for & sometimes can't avoid.

Should be interesting in this yr's playoffs if anyone takes a run at Karlsson or does something like Boyle did, I imagine there will be an instant response to it, I doubt they wait a game to respond.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr123 View Post
I don't think his skating will improve (or be back to what it was) until next season. IMO. He has lost those surrounding muscles because of lack of movement in that leg, and it will take quite a while to build them back up.

People shouldn't be expecting the "Karlsson from pre-injury" until at least next season.

But just having him to help the PP and his offensive awareness will be huge for this team!
Guy, his stride noticeably improved as the game went on. Practice to game is a different ball game. His skating will likely improve game to game and so will his comfort in game play. And when the playoffs hit, adrenaline could take over.

Generally speaking, I don't think there's much point in creating expectations one way or another. He'll probably get better, it only makes sense after 2 months off of game play. But how much is really up in the air. But ya, I wouldn't underestimate the different playoff adrenaline could make....players play through injuries normal people wouldn't be able to walk with through playoffs. Often times you can't even tell. And by all account, the achilles itself is 100% healed...but when you have an injury that affects your daily movement, just walking, its gonna take time to develop trust in it...but maybe not long. When I ruptured my spleen, I coughed cautiously for almost a year after it was fully healed, when it wasn't healed, it was awkward to cough. Now I'm not suggesting that it will take that long to get comfortable, had I been in elite coughing competitions, I'd have probably got my act together real fast. Especially if I was going head on to the championship round.

Last edited by Minister of Offence: 04-27-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 02:30 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
Even if his skating doesn't go back to what it was he will still be the best defense man in the league for years to come.

However, his wheels make him not only the best defender but in conversation for best player every single year.

With that being said, as MoO mentions, last game you could tell as the game went on his improved and a couple times he used those wheels for beautiful bursts. He hasn't lost it which is marvelous news for us.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:41 PM
HavlatMach9

I know he's fast, but to me it seems it's his vision, the speed at which he sees and thinks the game, that sets up apart for other D.

Old
04-27-2013, 02:44 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
I know he's fast, but to me it seems it's his vision, the speed at which he sees and thinks the game, that sets up apart for other D.
His vision, terrific IQ, amazing ability to get the puck on net, stickwork and passing creativity are not matched by any defender in the league.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:25 PM
malcolmedge

I was thinking of heading out today to do a few things, however with Erik playing. I am watching no matter what. He is amazing and I will watch every second of a game he plays no matter what.

malcolmedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 04:49 PM
Magix

It will take some time for his skating to return to the level it was pre injury. Give or take a year and he will be back to normal.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Orr123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Guy, his stride noticeably improved as the game went on. Practice to game is a different ball game. His skating will likely improve game to game and so will his comfort in game play. And when the playoffs hit, adrenaline could take over.

Generally speaking, I don't think there's much point in creating expectations one way or another. He'll probably get better, it only makes sense after 2 months off of game play. But how much is really up in the air. But ya, I wouldn't underestimate the different playoff adrenaline could make....players play through injuries normal people wouldn't be able to walk with through playoffs. Often times you can't even tell. And by all account, the achilles itself is 100% healed...but when you have an injury that affects your daily movement, just walking, its gonna take time to develop trust in it...but maybe not long. When I ruptured my spleen, I coughed cautiously for almost a year after it was fully healed, when it wasn't healed, it was awkward to cough. Now I'm not suggesting that it will take that long to get comfortable, had I been in elite coughing competitions, I'd have probably got my act together real fast. Especially if I was going head on to the championship round.
First off, not a guy.

But... I think you misunderstand what my point is.

This is Karlsson at his worst. Essentially. I agree that he did get better, but its nothing what he was like. And it shouldn't be expected that he will be.

I don't expect his skating to be back to pre-injury until he has an offseason of training. And I don't think that is at all unrealistic to think. He would have lost nearly all his surrounding muscle in that leg, and it will take quite a while to build up again. Plus getting used to Kevlar socks at the same time (which I know Karlsson stated he didn't like them because of how he felt skating with them).

I think the most we can expect from Karlsson at this point is great hockey IQ, help on the PP and some great passes and point shots. Beyond that, whatever he does is an absolutely miracle!

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:24 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Thank you... Oh, Karlsson...

Old
04-28-2013, 09:29 PM
Cowen Time

It is scary that EK is clearly not skating as strongly as pre-injury. Missing that incredible roadrunner take off from a standing start.

Cowen Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:31 PM
armani
Guy Likes

Karlsson played a ****** period 1 and 2, looking every bit like somebody coming back from a long-term injury and still not at a 100%.

EK65 showed up on the 3rd period. He owned it.

armani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Alfie View Post
It is scary that EK is clearly not skating as strongly as pre-injury. Missing that incredible roadrunner take off from a standing start.
For some reason when we play the Bruins we look lazy, slow and disinterested. Don't judge EK on his performance tonight, judge him in the other games he played since coming back.

He was skating great in the game against the Flyers. I expect he'll be the same against the Habs.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:39 PM
faire
classless

I really hope he regains his speed by next season.. it's so weird to see him skate so....averagely(if that's the right word for it??) out there.

faire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:40 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
He was skating great in the game against the Flyers. I expect he'll be the same against the Habs.
He had problems in the Flyers game as well. Several players walked around him near the net. We have some time off so he should be better come Thursday.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Hale The Villain

Quote:
He had problems in the Flyers game as well. Several players walked around him near the net. We have some time off so he should be better come Thursday.
That was more of a positioning issue. Didn't put himself between the opposing player and the net, as he opted to stickcheck the opposition instead.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:02 PM
DylanSensFan
Walk On!

vCash: 1470
Quote:
He is not having too many issues pivoting, it is just his explosive speed off the start and his over all top speed that have been very noticeable. He is still faster than nearly every skater he goes against. His speed and maneuverability will return in the next while -- he will be back to normal eventually.

DylanSensFan is offline   Reply With Quote