HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 07:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Man, the top 10 is so awesome this year. It kinda blows we got 11.
Someone always drops. Usually someone wants to prove they're a genius by taking someone rated in the late 10s-20s at like 6th overall.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:25 PM
Curufinwe

vCash: 500
There's no cliff at number 10.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:26 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
There's no cliff at number 10.
Wasn't the cliff last year right after Gally?

Old
04-28-2013, 07:28 PM
Curufinwe

I paid almost no attention to last years draft. But this year I'd rather have Ristolainen at 11 than Shinaruk at 10.

Oh that list had Ristolainen at 8. Pulock or Zadorov at 11/12 would be fine by me as well.

Last edited by Curufinwe: 04-28-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 07:29 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Feaster's picking inside the top 10 so he's a likely candidate for what GKJ's talking about.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:32 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I hope we see Homer walk up to the stage like a deer caught in headlights again similar to the Couturier pick two years ago.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:33 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Feaster's picking inside the top 10 so he's a likely candidate for what GKJ's talking about.
He'll probably pick Petan or something.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Yeah, I think Zykov could possibly end up in the top 15 in this draft. He's a great winger, blessed with good size, good speed, and a real physical presence. He's also a real coachable guy and his defensive game has improved since he arrive in Baie-Comeau.

I agree that he probably won't be available in the 2nd. With that being said, if Nurse and Ristolainen are gone by the time the Flyers pick, it won't surprise me if Zykov is the forward they go with, especially when you consider that Nolet's voice carries a lot of weight within the organization and Nolet is a very big fan of Zykov.
If Zykov is who they have their eyes on, then maybe the Flyers could trade down. Getting at least another 2nd would go a long way in boosting their prospect system in this draft.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:58 PM
poneill27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Man, the top 10 is so awesome this year. It kinda blows we got 11.
Im still pis sed.

Old
04-28-2013, 07:59 PM
Brozgalov

If they miss out on Nurse, Risto, Zadorov... what are the chances the flyers take Robert Hagg at #11? I remember them talking about how the Flyers asked Reneberg about him and he had great things to say, so I paid attention to him at the WJC and was impressed with his D first mentality.

Obviously the Flyers and every team ask everyone about people and this was just reported, but they clearly had an interest. Can someone do a breakdown of the Dmen in the draft? I will assume that Jones and Nurse are off the board, so go from there. As I stated before, I really like Ristolainen from the little I've seen and the bunch I've read which isn't saying much. I'd just like them to pick a Dman that could possibly play next season (and I know that might be crazy) but I think Risto might be the best chance at playing next year (maybe even above Jones?)

Also if it is a forward who we pick, who are the 3-5 players we might be looking at... I've mostly been reading about Dmen, but I'd like to know who we pick this year so I'm not disapointed when they don't take the obvious. (I trust the Flyers in any first round)

Old
04-28-2013, 08:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brozgalov View Post
If they miss out on Nurse, Risto, Zadorov... what are the chances the flyers take Robert Hagg at #11? I remember them talking about how the Flyers asked Reneberg about him and he had great things to say, so I paid attention to him at the WJC and was impressed with his D first mentality.

Obviously the Flyers and every team ask everyone about people and this was just reported, but they clearly had an interest. Can someone do a breakdown of the Dmen in the draft? I will assume that Jones and Nurse are off the board, so go from there. As I stated before, I really like Ristolainen from the little I've seen and the bunch I've read which isn't saying much. I'd just like them to pick a Dman that could possibly play next season (and I know that might be crazy) but I think Risto might be the best chance at playing next year (maybe even above Jones?)

Also if it is a forward who we pick, who are the 3-5 players we might be looking at... I've mostly been reading about Dmen, but I'd like to know who we pick this year so I'm not disapointed when they don't take the obvious. (I trust the Flyers in any first round)
Hagg's currently rated as late 1st rounder. So you could possibly have a chance at getting him with your 2nd rounder.

Some of the reasons scouts like Ristolainen, is because of his readiness and how he's considered a safe player in this draft. I would still say Jones has a better chance than Ristolainen at playing in the NHL next year. At this point I'm 99% sure Jones is playing in the NHL next year.

Some forwards they could be looking at:
-Valeri Nichushkin (if he falls)
-Elias Lindholm (if he falls)
-Sean Monahan (if he falls)
-Hunter Shinkurak
-Valentin Zykov
-Frederik Gauthier
-Alexander Wennberg
-Anthony Mantha
-Max Domi
-Bo Horvat
-Ryan Hartman

These are some guys projected to go around where the Flyers are picking. Most of them are good two-way forwards which the Flyers usually look for in forwards. Obviously someone ranked in the top 10 could fall to them.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-28-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 08:22 PM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
All the planets are aligned we win lottery

Old
04-28-2013, 08:38 PM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingerFetish View Post
All the planets are aligned we win lottery
Apparently we can see Saturn it must be a sign as Saturn is a planet that starts witht he letter S and Seth JoneS Starts and ends with the letter S and Flyers has an S at the end so clearly we are picking first overall.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:44 PM
ahthorne

The thing with this draft is how deep it is with talent. I'm 100% certain we will draft a player who will be a big part of the team going forward. I'd rather draft a winger with top-line potential, a pure scorer kind of like Sven Baertschi (Anthony Mantha is a beast). Sign Nikita Zaitsev and then draft a defender in the 2nd round!

Old
04-28-2013, 08:47 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Apparently we can see Saturn it must be a sign as Saturn is a planet that starts witht he letter S and Seth JoneS Starts and ends with the letter S and Flyers has an S at the end so clearly we are picking first overall.
What does that say about the other teams like the PantherS, CoyoteS, OilerS, DevilS etc??

Obviously the Avalanche and Lightning are out of it.

Edit: I know you are joking, but I just wanted to point out it is funny since it applies to many other teams as well.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:48 PM
flyers28giroux

If we're going to be picking at 11, I personally wouldn't mind us picking up either Zadorov, Pulock, or Ristolainen in which either one of those defenders should help us in the long term future for our back end.

I'm still holding out hope that Ed Snider has a pretty good relationship with Gary Bettman so that somehow we can win the draft lottery.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Prongo
Beer

I've always liked pulock I've seen him play a good amount of times earlier this year and the kid was phenomenal. His skating wasn't an issue either. I've seen some scouts question it, but I didn't see anything wrong there. He makes good outlet passes and he has probably one(if not best) shots in this draft. Man can be unleash a slapper. Defense could use some help. His gap control was a little shaky when I was watching him but it wasn't horrible. He also was physical and a leader. Good young player to have around. He might have the best overall offensive upside of the defenseman in this draft. I hate comparisons( absolutely dread them) but if you held a gun to my head and asked me, I actually think he reminds me of Ryan suter. Just a little more offensive. I don't think the comparisons of karlsson are accurate. He won't become that potent from the back end

Old
04-28-2013, 09:40 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers28giroux View Post
If we're going to be picking at 11, I personally wouldn't mind us picking up either Zadorov, Pulock, or Ristolainen in which either one of those defenders should help us in the long term future for our back end.

I'm still holding out hope that Ed Snider has a pretty good relationship with Gary Bettman so that somehow we can win the draft lottery.
That relationship helped a lot when we came in dead last and lost the lottery. And the guy we would have gotten scored the game-winning overtime goal against us in the Finals...

Old
04-28-2013, 09:49 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

someone rig this **** so we win it

Old
04-28-2013, 09:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Imagine the board exploding if we won it with a 1.5% chance .

Old
04-28-2013, 09:55 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Imagine the board exploding if we won it with a 1.5% chance .
You would hear every Ed Snider/Comcast conspiracy theory possible.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-28-2013 at 10:13 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 10:07 PM
domestique

I was under the impression that Ed Snider and Bettman do not get along too well.

Wasn't Ed on the side of the owners NOT wanting a lockout because his franchise actually makes money and didn't want to have to pay more playoff money to bleeding franchises?

In all honesty, the Flyers drafting Jones and going up against Crosby would be media gold. Burying him in Colorado, or Florida would do nothing for National NHL ratings.... Hopefully some NBCS executive is pressuring Bettman to bring Jones to Philly for them losing all the money on the winter classic/all-star game tv coverage etc.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:13 PM
GingerFetish

Send a message via Skype™ to GingerFetish
I hope they bring out a powerball machine like Pennsylvania lottery style.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by domestique View Post
I was under the impression that Ed Snider and Bettman do not get along too well.

Wasn't Ed on the side of the owners NOT wanting a lockout because his franchise actually makes money and didn't want to have to pay more playoff money to bleeding franchises?

In all honesty, the Flyers drafting Jones and going up against Crosby would be media gold. Burying him in Colorado, or Florida would do nothing for National NHL ratings.... Hopefully some NBCS executive is pressuring Bettman to bring Jones to Philly for them losing all the money on the winter classic/all-star game tv coverage etc.
Snider was apparently on the same side as Bettman and Boston owner Jeremy Jacobs. Some speculate he leaked info to the media and all that suggesting otherwise but who knows.

That's exactly the kind of theories you would hear though plus even crazier ones I'm sure. If we won the lottery that would phenomenal, the meltdown from opposing fans would just be a bonus. With that said we're not getting the 1st pick.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:22 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Do you think we take Nichushkin if he falls? He still has two years on his KHL deal and we usually shy away from Russians.

Closed Thread