HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is your Red Wings "rookie" of the year?

View Poll Results: Who is your pick for DRW Rookie of the Year?
Damien Brunner 51 41.46%
Brendan Smith 2 1.63%
Joakim Andersson 12 9.76%
Tomas Tatar 12 9.76%
Gustav Nyquist 10 8.13%
Brian Lashoff 0 0%
Danny DeKeyser 36 29.27%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old
04-28-2013, 06:44 PM
TatarTangle

vCash: 500
Had Tatar been given the opportunity it would have been him, so that's who I voted for.

TatarTangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:29 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

Kindl

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:14 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Brunner.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:52 PM
ThankYouBasedGod

Easily Brunner, the only other guys who played enough to actually be considered (for me) are Smith, Andersson, and Lashoff. None of those three come close IMO. If Tatar stayed up he was well on his way though.

ThankYouBasedGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:04 PM
obey86

Most impressive? Tatar.

Biggest impact per game? Maybe DD.

Brunner has started to find his groove on the 3rd line as of late. Even though the points aren't really coming anymore he's been better in the corners and defensively lately IMO.

obey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:09 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 165
If he's eligible, it's probably Brunner.

DK is probably the leading candidate for next year, but after seeing Riggy's 09 playoff run, then watching him take the next season off and then play extremely flaky hockey for the two seasons after that, I'm nervous about anointing any young defenseman based on a small debut sample size.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:02 AM
14ari13

Brunner
DeKeyser
Tatar
Andersson
Nyquist
Smith
Lashoff

Edit, I maybe put Tatar ahead of DeKeyser

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:08 AM
Bench
#notmyroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
If he's eligible, it's probably Brunner.

DK is probably the leading candidate for next year, but after seeing Riggy's 09 playoff run, then watching him take the next season off and then play extremely flaky hockey for the two seasons after that, I'm nervous about anointing any young defenseman based on a small debut sample size.
The good news is that next season any form of improved play from Kindl and Smith would basically nullify any missteps that our new Danny boy might have in a full season.

There's a lot to be hopeful for with the Wings blueline, unless they all regress at once and then, well... you think Howard can play like an $8 million dollar goalie?

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:26 AM
Tomas W

Brunner, even though he has slowed down a bit from his great start. I hope he can pick it up again.

Have you seen the season preview at NHL.com btw. There it says:

"The Red Wings also have a few inexperienced players, but the rookie trio of Gustav Nyquist, Joakim Andersson and Damien Brunner will be counted on to contribute. Brunner, 27, has adjusted well in his first North American season, and he has played important games in the Swedish Elite League and the World Championship."

Unless I have missed something, Brunner has never played in Sweden. One would have thought that a multimillion dollar buisiness like the NHL could afford spend some time to google thier facts, before they type an article. Maybe I should e-mail them and recommend them to look at eliteprospects.com...

Tomas W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:26 AM
LeighDx13

I voted Danny DeKeyser.

It's easy to vote for Brunner, but he has competed at a high level overseas not to mention got to develope chemistry with Hank before the season even started. And I'm not downplaying Brunner's play this season, he's been great. But DeKeyser (at least to me) has a stabilizing presence on the blueline since he started playing, from what I see I haven't seen a gigantic flaw in his game yet also. It has been only a small sample size but for what he brings after jumping from college to the NHL I gave my vote to him.

LeighDx13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:42 AM
acetehubernoob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesNichols14 View Post
went with Andersson he came up for a game and stayed for the year
my thoughts exactly.

acetehubernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:55 AM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

Brunner shouldn't count, he's too old

redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:15 AM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
Didn't get to see enough of DeKeyser, but if he played the way he has for even 1/2 the season I would give it to him.

So I'm gonna go with Tatar, I have no idea why he wasn't given more opportunity this season. I think if he was given Brunner's line mates and ice-time he would have done even more with it.
that's why i voted nyquist. i would also put tatar above brunner. both were more impressive than brunner, imo, but did not get similar linemates, TOI and PPTOI.

but it is unfair to brunner, since nyquist and tatar may have had a similar or worse decline if they had played a full season.

nyquist (6p, +0) played 22 games and tatar (7p, +2) played 18.

in brunner's 1st 20 games, he had 16p (10g, 6a) and was -2. with better linemates and TOI, though.

imo, nyquist's play late in the season was better than tatar's in midseason, mostly in his ability to control the puck and create chances. tatar's game relied a bit more on play without the puck, but he usually did not have proper offensive support.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:49 AM
Jussha

[QUOTE=nik jr;64886221]that's why i voted nyquist. i would also put tatar above brunner. both were more impressive than brunner, imo, but did not get similar linemates, TOI and PPTOI.

but it is unfair to brunner, since nyquist and tatar may have had a similar or worse decline if they had played a full season.

nyquist (6p, +0) played 22 games and tatar (7p, +2) played 18.

in brunner's 1st 20 games, he had 16p (10g, 6a) and was -2. with better linemates and TOI, though.

imo, nyquist's play late in the season was better than tatar's in midseason, mostly in his ability to control the puck and create chances. tatar's game relied a bit more on play without the puck, but he usually did not have proper offensive support.[/QUOTE]

honestly their styles of play seem very complimentary to one another and I can't believe we didn't keep Tatar up this season and have them as linemates to give us an awesome third line.

Put Brunner in for the useless Cleary with Flip and Franzen and then

Tatar - Andersson - Nyquist

and we got 3 damn pretty good lines.

Hopefully next year they are linemates in the NHL and not the AHL

Jussha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:26 AM
VladTheImpaler
Go Wings

Brunner, but if DD played even half of the season then he would've gotten my vote.

VladTheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:13 AM
Eyeblink
The Authority

Even though DeKeyser only played the amount of games he did, he had a huge impact on the way the team played. Brunner played really well from time to time too, but for me DD was the man. It amazes me how he's such a complete player all things considered.

Eyeblink is offline   Reply With Quote