HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Regular Season MVP

View Poll Results: Rangers Regular Season MVP
Stepan 112 48.70%
Lundqvist 105 45.65%
Nash 8 3.48%
Callahan 3 1.30%
Mcdonagh 0 0%
Girardi 1 0.43%
Other 1 0.43%
Voters: 230. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 04:45 PM
aufheben
Jung at heart

vCash: 50
Hank if I had to choose, though it's essentially equal, I think. Wouldn't have made the playoffs without either of them.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Chimp

vCash: 500
As the poll indicates, this was the closest we've ever been to a new MVP on the team. As we have Lundqvist, perhaps an award should be given separately among the skaters.

Stepan ended the season with a +25, which was the 5th best in the entire league. He was 23rd in takeaways (34), tied 2nd with 6 GWG. Tied at 21st in points is also very solid. He should deservedly be given some Selke votes, even though he's probably some distance from being a nominee. Next season will be very interesting to see if Stepan can tie together several seasons playing this well. Consistency is what separates the elite players from the very good.

Old
04-28-2013, 06:07 PM
Calad
Section 422

Hank, but its not a gimme this year

Old
04-28-2013, 06:58 PM
goalsequalvictory

vCash: 95
Stepan, only because of the fact that if you can't score goals, it dosen't matter how many get scored against you, you're still going to loose. Very close, but stepan going above and beyond expectations, and really bailing out the team when Richards was in the dumpster, sealed it for me.

Old
04-28-2013, 08:46 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Lundqvist, Nash or Stepan.

I think Lundqvist or Nash is a toss up.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:59 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dethomas07 View Post
Hank was average for the 1st half of the year.. if step didn;t have the year he had with richards gabs and no secondary scoring this couldve been a disaster of a year... the middle stretch of the season where we thought we were done, step battled and put us in a position to be competitive every game..lundqvist is the easy answer.. but look where this team was this year with noone playing up to expectations and step shinning bright.. hes the guy that put us over the top..

1c is key to success.. if he didnt step up no bueno.. wouldve fell far back in the standings..
You don't get a GAA of a shade over 2 by being average for half a season. Bad first 3 games and he was great ever since for the most part.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:10 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Stepan had a really great year but its got to be hank

Old
04-28-2013, 11:48 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Literally every player except Stepan underachieved this season, so I'll vote him.
Nash was on a 78 point pace, 1 off his career high. How did he underachieve? Did you expect 100 points?

Old
04-29-2013, 12:25 AM
mooskating
flex

voted stepan, but it's a tossup. voted step because he got almost everybody he played with to improve.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:03 AM
stan the caddy

Stepan was great but.. c'mon. Another great season from the bust ****ing goalie on the planet.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:34 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
Nash was on a 78 point pace, 1 off his career high. How did he underachieve? Did you expect 100 points?
You would be correct, Nash as well. He was great.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:12 AM
Ola

My de facto MVP top 3 is pretty given:

1. Hank
2. Nash
3. Stepan

Stepan undoubtedly had the best season, in relation to ability.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:37 AM
Ail
Occult Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCresty View Post
Why all the Henriks

I'm all for Henrik but if Step doesn't deserve it then when will someone other than Henrik take MVP? Cally robs Step of the SMEEA and now you guys are too. Tsk tsk.
When Henrik retires.

Also the EEA felt like it was just given to Ryan just because. Henrik actually earned MVP as usual.

Stepan had a great year, but Henrik is the MVP year in and out.

04-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Nac Mac Feegle

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowblindNYR View Post
meh. He also had the best supporting cast in his professional career by a wide margin. He seemed to disappear for games at a time.

To be honest, with the perfect setup Nash had this season, I was a bit disappointed. Wasn't expecting a 100-point pace, but 78 feels a bit low.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:18 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
meh. He also had the best supporting cast in his professional career by a wide margin. He seemed to disappear for games at a time.

To be honest, with the perfect setup Nash had this season, I was a bit disappointed. Wasn't expecting a 100-point pace, but 78 feels a bit low.
Nash had the highest PPG on our team (.95), was tied 10th in the league in goals scored, 15th in the league in ESP (Even Strength Points). Ending with a +16 was also pretty good. He also contributed on the ice even when he didn't score.

Nash was a top 10 goal scorer (all ahead of him had played 3-4 games more) on a struggling team with a non functioning PP, how is that a disappointment?

Last edited by Chimp: 04-29-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old
04-29-2013, 06:29 AM
Nac Mac Feegle

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Nash had the highest PPG on our team (.95), was tied 10th in the league in goals scored, 15th in the league in ESP (Even Strength Points). Ending with a +16 was also pretty good. He also contributed on the ice even when he didn't score.

Nash was a top 10 goal scorer (all ahead of him had played 3-4 games more) on a struggling team with a non functioning PP, how is that a disappointment?
There were a number of games where he was invisible for the first two periods of a game, or invisible for a couple of game at a time. Yes, it was great he could turn on the light switch in the third period of some games, but I found the inconsistency in his game maddening.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:46 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
If Stepan had an "average" season, I feel like we'd probably finish around 10th. If Lundqvist had an "average" season, we'd be terrible.

It's just pain.
Old
04-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Ykvrangers1994
Rookie User

Has to be Lundqvist... Without him this team would be at the bottom of the conference... Hes been the team MVP the past 4 or 5 years running now... just a real pleasure to have him as or goailie... King Henrik!!

Old
04-29-2013, 03:05 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
If Stepan had an "average" season, I feel like we'd probably finish around 10th. If Lundqvist had an "average" season, we'd be terrible.
I dunno..

i only felt like Henrik "stole" us a few games this season, not as many as years past. I think there were a TON of games where he was spectacular, and lost.

Last year those games were wins, which makes sense to make him the MVP.

It feels like this year, the games we've won, were more because of the team in front of him finally playing well, rather than him stealing us wins.

and when those games happened, it felt like Stepan was at the epicenter of those games.

Does that make sense?

Henrik didn't have to be godly in our wins this year...it seemed like he was more god-like in our losses than our wins.

strange to make sense of that in my head.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Affinity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
I dunno..

i only felt like Henrik "stole" us a few games this season, not as many as years past. I think there were a TON of games where he was spectacular, and lost.

Last year those games were wins, which makes sense to make him the MVP.

It feels like this year, the games we've won, were more because of the team in front of him finally playing well, rather than him stealing us wins.

and when those games happened, it felt like Stepan was at the epicenter of those games.

Does that make sense?

Henrik didn't have to be godly in our wins this year...it seemed like he was more god-like in our losses than our wins.

strange to make sense of that in my head.
It makes sense to me and is essentially why I voted for Steps.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:27 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Stepan
Lundqvist
Nash

Old
04-29-2013, 03:36 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Well they do play different positions so their roles are obviously different. Lundqvist doesn't come off the ice when he's playing and plays the most important position in the game. That being said when judging the MVP we should evaluate the players contributions in the proper context given their positions/roles on the team.

For me Stepan played his best hockey and played to his full potential whereas many of the other players did not. The fact that Stepan upped his game at a time where our supposed #1 center struggled badly was particularly important & valuable.

Henke had a solid season and of course played a huge role in our making the playoffs but I don't necessarily feel like we saw his best hockey from him or that he played to his max potential.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Well they do play different positions so their roles are obviously different. Lundqvist doesn't come off the ice when he's playing and plays the most important position in the game. That being said when judging the MVP we should evaluate the players contributions in the proper context given their positions/roles on the team.

For me Stepan played his best hockey and played to his full potential whereas many of the other players did not. The fact that Stepan upped his game at a time where our supposed #1 center struggled badly was particularly important & valuable.

Henke had a solid season and of course played a huge role in our making the playoffs but I don't necessarily feel like we saw his best hockey from him or that he played to his max potential.
And yet Henrik finished with his 2nd best season statistically.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:47 PM
E Nixson