HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

End of a dismal season: Panthers @ Lightning

Old
04-29-2013, 12:19 AM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
I don't want to say it put ours to shame necessarily. They definitely do things differently there that's for sure. I'll get to the scoreboard later but here's my thoughts initially about their arena first:
first world problems (of third world hockey cities).

has anyone been to the bell centre? hightops outside? flat screens facing both ways?

that place is cramped (it's always a full house and the concourses are small), the scoreboard is meh. the concession lines are long. the hockey experience? insane. if you're a hockey fan, you will have the time of your life. it's all about HOCKEY.

and yes, i'm fully aware the audience is different. nonetheless, the game should be the focus. it can sell itself. whether it can outsell the myriad advertisers and shills it has to compete with in our arena is another question and one i'm afraid we might not like the answer to.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:28 AM
pb1300
#CatsAreComing

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post

has anyone been to the bell centre? hightops outside? flat screens facing both ways?

that place is cramped (it's always a full house and the concourses are small), the scoreboard is meh. the concession lines are long. the hockey experience? insane. if you're a hockey fan, you will have the time of your life. it's all about HOCKEY.

and yes, i'm fully aware the audience is different. nonetheless, the game should be the focus. it can sell itself. whether it can outsell the myriad advertisers and shills it has to compete with in our arena is another question and one i'm afraid we might not like the answer to.
I agree, but you have to admit that the scoreboard needs to be changed. Hockey is the focus when you go there, and that goes for in play and replays. Everyone wants to see those replays of the big hit, the bad penalty, that incredible deke and goal by Huberdeau, but its so hard to see on that scoreboard, and sometimes non-existent (but that isnt due to the scoreboard). We have a beautiful arena, but that scoreboard sticks out like a sore thumb.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:18 AM
RainingRats

Our scoreboard is embarrassing. It's like having a CRT TV.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:32 AM
CoolburnIsGone

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post

Dont get me wrong, I understand what you're saying. But people up in Canada would go watch pond hockey if they had no other options. So you cant even compare those fans to us down in FL.

The game doesnt sell it itself when the product itself sucks. And I'm not even talking about the results either really. I'm talking about not having an entertaining product on the ice (minus last season). Thursday's game saw many of us leave midway thru the 3rd period because there was no one capable of scoring it seemed. Look back at the yrs when we had Bure and he was scoring at will, that was when the game can sell itself without needing more. We could be on the cusp of that now too with Huberdeau and potentially the top draft pick. And seriously, Tampa had a myriad of advertisers too throughout the game so they are no better than us so that seems like just a dumb complaint if you ask me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I agree, but you have to admit that the scoreboard needs to be changed. Hockey is the focus when you go there, and that goes for in play and replays. Everyone wants to see those replays of the big hit, the bad penalty, that incredible deke and goal by Huberdeau, but its so hard to see on that scoreboard, and sometimes non-existent (but that isnt due to the scoreboard). We have a beautiful arena, but that scoreboard sticks out like a sore thumb.
I dont think its that hard to see on the current scoreboard. I just feel like they never have the replay ready to go and most of the time they're more concerned with some little game or contest that Murphy is MC'ing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Our scoreboard is embarrassing. It's like having a CRT TV.
So if they just replaced the existing monitors with HD screens and kept the same scoreboard itself, no one would complain right?? See I think people would still complain if that was the case. Did you see my comment about how I actually didn't like their scoreboard that much and its this giant HD masterpiece?? I guess what I'm saying is be careful what you wish for, you may just get it!

CoolburnIsGone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Haj
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Sorry guys, but this is the GDT for tonights game. I found out recently that my dad has a Low grade papillary urothelial carcinoma, which is pretty much cancer in the bladder. We dont know the extent of it yet, but since its low grade, Im thinking (and hoping) that he only has to go through some chemo. We will find out in a couple of weeks what steps we are going to take next. He already had a surgery to clean it out, and the low grade outcome was from the biopsy. It is aggressive, but it hasnt spread to any other organs, so the outcome looks positive. Im the rock of the family, so Im looking at this as positive as possible, but the Panthers stinking up the joint really doesnt help

Anyways, lets enjoy putting these kittens to sleep tonight, because its been a long, and painful season. Id really like to see Jugs or Howden get on the board tonight, and Huberdeau get a couple of points for the Calder race. Here is to ending the season on a high note

Sorry to hear this. Good luck to you and your family. Hope everything works out well.

Haj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:52 AM
SeasonTicket

I don't really want a massive scoreboard or HD screen. I just want one a little bigger but much much better quality.

I also find they run some pretty good stuff on the screens like pregame video and the stuff they do on players now and then. Like a recap of goals or plays or hits.

What they are bad at is the lack of timely replays.

I hate the in game little games they do at every break. Keep them simple like trivia games on past players and events displayed on the score board were everyone can participate. But keep it related to the team. That's what keeps the history of the team in peoples minds.

I don't need to see someone stack pucks faster than another guy or whatever. That stuff just takes away the experience for me.

SeasonTicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:49 AM
adam graves
Panther 20 yr sth

Quote:
I dont think its that hard to see on the current scoreboard. I just feel like they never have the replay ready to go and most of the time they're more concerned with some little game or contest that Murphy is MC'ing.So if they just replaced the existing monitors with HD screens and kept the same scoreboard itself, no one would complain right?? See I think people would still complain if that was the case. Did you see my comment about how I actually didn't like their scoreboard that much and its this giant HD masterpiece?? I guess what I'm saying is be careful what you wish for, you may just get it!
Yes I would absolutely prefer they simply swap out the screens for an HD screens. Its what the Garden did and it worked out fine. Upgrade the electronics show some ******* timely replays and perhaps out of town scores more often.

The present state is ridiculous. We've coddled 600 fans before taking care of the rest.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 02:33 PM
zeroG

vCash: 540
Quote:
Dont get me wrong, I understand what you're saying. But people up in Canada would go watch pond hockey if they had no other options. So you cant even compare those fans to us down in FL.

The game doesnt sell it itself when the product itself sucks. And I'm not even talking about the results either really. I'm talking about not having an entertaining product on the ice (minus last season). Thursday's game saw many of us leave midway thru the 3rd period because there was no one capable of scoring it seemed. Look back at the yrs when we had Bure and he was scoring at will, that was when the game can sell itself without needing more. We could be on the cusp of that now too with Huberdeau and potentially the top draft pick. And seriously, Tampa had a myriad of advertisers too throughout the game so they are no better than us so that seems like just a dumb complaint if you ask me.
i would never use tampa as a basis of comparison. for anything.

everyone likes to give the "bad product" spiel and it always goes unchallenged. i don't believe it's true. i think the casual fan who is new to the game doesn't know whether they are watching malkin or matthias. they are attracted to the speed, beauty and violence of the game. on the other hand, they do know when they are being pounded over the head by ads and annoying schtick.

bad product is a turn off for fans who know the game. *you* knew nobody was going to be able to score. a casual fan who liked the sport (those who don't won't anyway) would still be entertained by the action. even good teams have bad nights and are shut out so this example is rather arbitrary; if someone is turned off by a game like that, there's not much you can do. however, as long as the environment is enjoyable, people who are inclined to like hockey will come back, imo. personally, i don't find these types of presentations geared toward the ADD set enjoyable. i suffer through it because i love the game.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote