HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Northeast Champions!! Bring on the Sens!!

Old
04-29-2013, 12:58 AM
Souvenirs

vCash: 500
My last exam is Wednesday night, so consider me thrilled with game 1 being on Thursday.

Souvenirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:00 AM
1UP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I never would have guessed him in a million years.

I'll one up you: Or Todd Simpson?
You guys went that far without saying Benoit Brunet?!?

Man, I know you're trying, but you can't forget him.

1UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:27 AM
BJG

Couple of interesting stats/trends: while Anderson's numbers are crazy, since he came back from injury they are not quite as stratospheric. His GAA is still an impressive 2.00 and his save % is 91.7, considerably better than CP's but they aren't as scary as his overall numbers are concerned. Also he was 4-5 since he came back.

The other thing I checked was shots for and against for the Sens. During the first 33 games they were outshot 19 times, outshot their opponents 13 times and had an equal number of shots in one game. They had 40+ shots 3 times. In the last 15 games, however, they were 12-2-1 in this category with 5 games of 40+ shots. This obviously doesn't take Karlsson into account very much.

I didn't do the same breakdown for the Habs, though I know we regularly outshot opponents before our slide, and perhaps even during it.

If these trends are at all indicative of something real (I know, small sample size...) then it's pretty simple. If we continue to outshoot and Price picks back his game, while Anderson stays at his good but not insane current pace, we should be fine. If the Sens recent shooting bonanza continues (I don't think it will as we are built to keep shots down), then CP will have to elevate his game not simply to Anderson's level but above it, which might be a tough task.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:50 AM
BJG

Ok. Can't sleep so I checked. As I suspected, we outshot our opponents 33/48 games. While we had 40+ shots 4 times, we gave up 40+ 3 times. Perhaps more impressively, while we were held to fewer than 20 shots on 3 occasions, we did it to the other guys 8 times.

BJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:05 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
This should be a low scoring series so we are going to need the D to be smart and Price to be on his game.

We have an edge in goaltending.
Scoring/depth is in our advantage.
D is a slight edge to us.
Ottawa beats us clean in the grit/coaching department though.
Please explain how Price gives us an edge over the best goaltender in the league.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:13 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Ok. Can't sleep so I checked. As I suspected, we outshot our opponents 33/48 games. While we had 40+ shots 4 times, we gave up 40+ 3 times. Perhaps more impressively, while we were held to fewer than 20 shots on 3 occasions, we did it to the other guys 8 times.
What's more impressive for the Habs is they've dominated the shot clock while holding the lead so much, score effects mean that the leading team tends to get less shots.

Habs have arguably the best puck control squad of the Eastern Playoff teams. Its the key to their stellar 5 on 5 play.

Except for the Cunneyworth collapse, the Habs have been a pretty good puck control squad ever since Subban and Pacioretty became regulars. The change from being a poor ES team to a good one is largely attributable to adding a pair of 5 on 5 puck possession studs via the 2007 draft.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:16 AM
Drunk World Order

The Sens are beatable but I feel that we gotta be hungrier then they are. They have had to fill some huge gaps in the lineup and guys stepped up throughout the year. This is a resilient team that is well coached. I believe we are more talented then them and have better scoring debt but we will need guys to step up and produce. I believe that Gallagher will be a beast is this series I can't wait. I am hoping to pick up a Gallagher Jersey before Thursday. Price will need to be on his game as well. I am also glad that we don't play until Thursday as it gives guys like Prust, Georges etc to rest and recover.

Drunk World Order is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:21 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Sens are better than the Leafs, but we're not gonna have to worry too much about some random goon trying to injure our players. If we really got our mojo back, we'll win in 6, maybe 7.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:25 AM
Sens Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJG View Post
Couple of interesting stats/trends: while Anderson's numbers are crazy, since he came back from injury they are not quite as stratospheric. His GAA is still an impressive 2.00 and his save % is 91.7, considerably better than CP's but they aren't as scary as his overall numbers are concerned. Also he was 4-5 since he came back.

The other thing I checked was shots for and against for the Sens. During the first 33 games they were outshot 19 times, outshot their opponents 13 times and had an equal number of shots in one game. They had 40+ shots 3 times. In the last 15 games, however, they were 12-2-1 in this category with 5 games of 40+ shots. This obviously doesn't take Karlsson into account very much.

I didn't do the same breakdown for the Habs, though I know we regularly outshot opponents before our slide, and perhaps even during it.

If these trends are at all indicative of something real (I know, small sample size...) then it's pretty simple. If we continue to outshoot and Price picks back his game, while Anderson stays at his good but not insane current pace, we should be fine. If the Sens recent shooting bonanza continues (I don't think it will as we are built to keep shots down), then CP will have to elevate his game not simply to Anderson's level but above it, which might be a tough task.
The Sens led the NHL in shots. Crazily because Karlsson led the NHL in shots per game at 4.6.. yet missed 2/3rds of the season. However averaging 32.4 shots a game has not really helped them score. Sens are like 20th in scoring. The Sens will go to the net and have a guy screening, but still many of those shots are perimeter shots. I think the Sens coach their players to shoot as often as they can. I would guess the Senators have less shots blocked then average... they also are among the league leaders in missed shots. The Senators have been trained to find a way to get shots through other teams blocking them, probably a hang over from facing the Rangers last year, when they beat the Senators in the playoffs (and won President's trophy) by blocking so many shots.

The Senators also give up a lot of shots. The Senators record is actually better when they are outshot then when they are the one with the most shots. Weird. Anderson plays better when he is busy it seems as well.

Senators have the best PK% in the NHL. Habs have, by far, the most minutes with a man advantage. Sens PP has sucked, and they take a lot of penalties.

I think special teams are huge. The less think the penalties the better it is for the Senators. I think the Senators would love to play more open hockey and trade some chances with the Habs then have low scoring games. The Senators have trouble scoring, and they can play good defence even if they give up some chances because the Senators D is relentless in clearing the crease after a shot and backing up Anderson. All Anderson has to do is stop the first shot.

It should be a good series. Good luck.

Sens Rule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:31 AM
BLONG7

What was our series record vs the Sens?

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:51 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens Rule View Post
The Sens led the NHL in shots. Crazily because Karlsson led the NHL in shots per game at 4.6.. yet missed 2/3rds of the season. However averaging 32.4 shots a game has not really helped them score. Sens are like 20th in scoring. The Sens will go to the net and have a guy screening, but still many of those shots are perimeter shots. I think the Sens coach their players to shoot as often as they can. I would guess the Senators have less shots blocked then average... they also are among the league leaders in missed shots. The Senators have been trained to find a way to get shots through other teams blocking them, probably a hang over from facing the Rangers last year, when they beat the Senators in the playoffs (and won President's trophy) by blocking so many shots.

The Senators also give up a lot of shots. The Senators record is actually better when they are outshot then when they are the one with the most shots. Weird. Anderson plays better when he is busy it seems as well.

Senators have the best PK% in the NHL. Habs have, by far, the most minutes with a man advantage. Sens PP has sucked, and they take a lot of penalties.

I think special teams are huge. The less think the penalties the better it is for the Senators. I think the Senators would love to play more open hockey and trade some chances with the Habs then have low scoring games. The Senators have trouble scoring, and they can play good defence even if they give up some chances because the Senators D is relentless in clearing the crease after a shot and backing up Anderson. All Anderson has to do is stop the first shot.

It should be a good series. Good luck.
Having a better record when outshot rather than outshooting is typical of a winning team. Its because teams will tend to play a lot more conservatively once they have the lead and take far fewer shots and give up more. Good teams often have games where they toasted the other squad in the early going and then spend the rest of the game comfortably picking their spots.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:11 AM
HabsByTheBay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post

I hate people like that.

Edit:
I knew he would look like this before I even checked up his profile.
Funny he wears a Nirvana t-shirt. I can't think of a musician Kurt Cobain would hate more than somebody who sells a shoddy commodified version of punk like Marie-Mai.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:18 AM
Geecko

I wish I had remembered to bring along a car flag of the Habs to put on my car here in Finland... Next time I come home I shall not forget again. Go Habs go!

Geecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:57 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I don't know if somebody did this already but I'm too lazy to check the whole thread.

We've played the Sens 4 times this year

Januray, 30th : MTL-1 OTT-5 ( http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...=OTT33&lang=en )
February, 3rd : MTL-2 OTT-1 ( http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...=MTL59&lang=en )
February, 25th : MTL-1 OTT-2 (SO) ( http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...OTT292&lang=en )
March 13th : MTL-4 OTT-3 (SO) ( http://video.canadiens.nhl.com/video...=MTL86&lang=en )

So they've outscored us 10-7 (not counting the shoot-out).

Our best scorers against them : Markov (1G-2A), Subban (1G-2A), Pacioretty (3A)

Budaj played 1 game, gave up 5 goals on 27 shots (0.815 SV%)
Price played the other 3, gave up 5 goals on shots (0.944 SV%)!!!

For them :

Anderson played 2 games, gave up 3 goals on 64 shots (0.953 SV%) *****!
Lehner played one and gave up 3 goals on 45 shots (0.933 SV%)
and Bishop gave only 1 goal on 45 shots but who cares...
Great post/info...thanks.

And, like Marc Habs Fan wrote:
'' You can throw out game 1 when they blew us out. No Subban or Pacioretty. Budaj was also shaky. ''

Go Habs Go!! (the Montreal electric playoff fever/atmosphere...this is what this city is all about...besides attractive girls, festivals, terraces, poutine, restaurants, adorable potholes, nightlife, strip-clubs, indie music scene, bilingualism...love english and french together especially during playoffs when english and french are like family cheering for the same team!!, etc,etc).

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:03 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk World Order View Post
The Sens are beatable but I feel that we gotta be hungrier then they are. They have had to fill some huge gaps in the lineup and guys stepped up throughout the year. This is a resilient team that is well coached. I believe we are more talented then them and have better scoring debt but we will need guys to step up and produce. I believe that Gallagher will be a beast is this series I can't wait. I am hoping to pick up a Gallagher Jersey before Thursday. Price will need to be on his game as well. I am also glad that we don't play until Thursday as it gives guys like Prust, Gorges etc to rest and recover.
Definitely. Prust, Gorges, Markov...they all need rest, so Thurs is actually good for our Habs (some rest and healing).

HEALTH:
When is the last time we've had so many healthy players going into the playoffs? (knock on wood). I'm VERY VERY happy about this.
Especially with out top 3-4 dmen being healthy (Subban, Markov, Gorges, Diaz).

Habs in 6 or 7...imo.

SPEZZA:
is he coming back anytime soon?

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:05 AM
onice

These are easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doors View Post
Noone is asking the big questions. If you're Radek Bonk who do you cheer for
The Czech Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
What about Guillaume Latendresse?
Minnesota Wild.

onice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:08 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenash View Post
I'm really happy that the series doesn't start tuesday because I wasn't able to watch the game.

B2B games ain't no thing. I don't get why the Bell Centre people overbooked the arena during playoffs time though.
Well, Geoff Molson needs money to pay for all the extra help that MB brought aboard.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:12 AM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
SPEZZA:
is he coming back anytime soon?
He's skating with the team. Earliest he comes back, which is being predicted by Sens fans, is the second round -- should they advance.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:19 AM
onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
This should be a low scoring series so we are going to need the D to be smart and Price to be on his game.

We have an edge in goaltending.
Scoring/depth is in our advantage.
D is a slight edge to us.
Ottawa beats us clean in the grit/coaching department though.
When you say that do you mean overall potential or this year's performance.

Cause if it's performance, Ottawa has a big edge.

Last edited by onice: 04-29-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old
04-29-2013, 07:49 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Please explain how Price gives us an edge over the best goaltender in the league.
you mean : in the east.

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:12 AM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Hey guys! Sens fan coming in peace before the bad blood starts flowing. Just want to wish you guys a great series, and may the better team win!

04-29-2013, 08:21 AM
Kiss My Rask
VGHC

Congrats on the division, what a turn around.

Here's to a possible second round matchup (If NYR win). Best matchup of the playoffs

Kiss My Rask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:26 AM
MonkeyBusiness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Since when is Henrik Lundqvist playing for the Sens?

MonkeyBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:27 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Didn't know where else this should go, so, umm....

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:33 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doors View Post
Noone is asking the big questions. If you're Radek Bonk who do you cheer for
Ottawa, based on career games played.

I might be biased, though.

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote