HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The New OT Thread: Spring Training is Here!

Closed Thread

Old
04-24-2013, 02:02 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Well, they look pretty pathetic to me. Their bats are completely dead. Just zeros all across the board.
Yep they do, so just write them off for the next 140 games?

Old
04-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
No, but there are some major issues AA needs to fix. He can't afford to sit back now because he's already more or less gone all-in. He needs to get more contact hitting through the batting order and - surprisingly - needs another starting pitcher. Dickey has been underwhelming and JJ has been horrid.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Old
04-24-2013, 06:29 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
No. But like Cloned said, they have major issues and they're not just going to go away. Besides Bonifacio and Cabrera, right now the Blue Jays are fielding the same everyday players as last season... and that team was not good. Reyes would be a difference maker if he was healthy.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:09 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
No. But like Cloned said, they have major issues and they're not just going to go away. Besides Bonifacio and Cabrera, right now the Blue Jays are fielding the same everyday players as last season... and that team was not good. Reyes would be a difference maker if he was healthy.
You seem bitter about every sports team you follow. Are you a Browns fan too? Raptors fan?

I laugh at Cloned comment of Dickey being underwhelming. He's had one bad start of his 5. With some run support he could easily be 4-1 instead of 2-3.

Yes contact hitting has been an issue & JJ has sucked too. I'm sure they can look at Romero as an option to come up and start a game. The loss of Reyes is going to hurt this team but the loss of a top 2 player from any team is going to hurt. I don't see a reason to hit the panic button yet in the 1st month of the season.

Last edited by Reimer: 04-25-2013 at 01:14 PM.
Old
04-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Quote:
You seem bitter about every sports team you follow. Are you a Browns fan too? Raptors fan?

I laugh at Cloned comment of Dickey being underwhelming. He's had one bad start of his 5. With some run support he could easily be 4-1 instead of 2-3.

Yes contact hitting has been an issue & JJ has sucked too. I'm sure they can look at Romero as an option to come up and start a game. The loss of Reyes is going to hurt this team but the loss of a top 2 player from any team is going to hurt. I don't see a reason to hit the panic button yet in the 1st month of the season.
Dickey's had 2 bad starts (for an ace), 2 good ones and 1 average one.

That's underwhelming so far.

Old
04-26-2013, 06:41 PM
bluesclues92
Rookie User

Should I Drop out of University to pursue other interests?

Hey guys, I came here seeking some advice about this situation I find myself in. Long story short, I'm 20 and going into my 3rd year at the UofA majoring in Classics. I have found recently however that my interest has waned, despite my marks, and I don't harbour any specific career ambition nor do I think about the subject matter in my spare time at all. It doesn't feel like a passion anymore or something I am goal oriented in.

On the other hand, I've acquired a growing interest in fitness and keeping a healthy lifestyle. I've found what appears to be a creditable personal training course here in Edmonton that would fast track me to a career in a far shorter amount of time than my degree would. As well, its something that, rather than my major, I do think about and research in my spare time.

I am debating whether or not to drop university entirely and take this personal training course, which is a 5 day a week, for 17 weeks, tuition-based program. On the one hand, I'd feel like I just wasted two years, but on the other hand I don't want to waste my future doing something I've lost interest in.

Any recommendations on the route to take?

Old
04-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

As somebody who is in the industry, and you being quite young, I would recommend power engineering. Just take a look into it.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:14 PM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

AA must be in shock right now.

I know I am.

And this is what I mean by Dickey being underwhelming.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Blue Jays blow another lead.

9-17 record. According to Bruce Arthur they need to go 81-55 the rest of the way to get to 90 wins (duh).

This is one of the worst teams in baseball.

Last edited by Moonlapse Vertigo: 04-28-2013 at 11:52 PM.
Old
04-28-2013, 11:24 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Blue Jays blow another lead.

9-17 record. According to Bruce Arthur they need to go 81-55 the rest of the way to get to 90 wins.

This is one of the worst teams in baseball.
this season has been a disaster so far. They could have easily won a couple of those game and now be 11-15, which is a lot easier to recover from. They could go 81-55 they need to get a lot betting pitching though to do it.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:08 AM
Muscles Glasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
AA must be in shock right now.

I know I am.

And this is what I mean by Dickey being underwhelming.
It's not just Dickey, every big name this season has been bad-awful (Dickey has actually been one of the better star players shockingly)

Burle- 6.35 ERA
Morrow- 5.27 ERA
Johnson- 6.86 ERA
Bautista- .192 Average only 7 hits that are not home runs this year
Rasmus- .225 Average- 36 Strikeouts in 80 At bats
Bonifacio- .188 Average
Encarnacion- .225 Average
Lawrie- .213 Average

The only bright spot of the Jays season so far has been Reyes and he is gone for a while and the bullpen has been solid for the most part.

But that is seemingly what happens when your entire coaching staff last year was coaching in the minors.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:14 AM
BleedOil83

Running my annual NHL Playoff Pool, which some members here have participated in. Most of you know I run a few pools around year on a yearly basis and am at least 94.7% likely to not steal your money.

$30, pick 22 skaters and 4 goalies and your roster is set for the playoffs. Very easy to use website that includes a loose salary cap of $105MM. We had 30 entries last year, PM me for more details or login info!

Old
04-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscles Glasses View Post
It's not just Dickey, every big name this season has been bad-awful (Dickey has actually been one of the better star players shockingly)

Burle- 6.35 ERA
Morrow- 5.27 ERA
Johnson- 6.86 ERA
Bautista- .192 Average only 7 hits that are not home runs this year
Rasmus- .225 Average- 36 Strikeouts in 80 At bats
Bonifacio- .188 Average
Encarnacion- .225 Average
Lawrie- .213 Average

The only bright spot of the Jays season so far has been Reyes and he is gone for a while and the bullpen has been solid for the most part.

But that is seemingly what happens when your entire coaching staff last year was coaching in the minors.
In the pitching staff's defense it's really hard to pitch when you don't get any run support.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues92 View Post
Hey guys, I came here seeking some advice about this situation I find myself in. Long story short, I'm 20 and going into my 3rd year at the UofA majoring in Classics. I have found recently however that my interest has waned, despite my marks, and I don't harbour any specific career ambition nor do I think about the subject matter in my spare time at all. It doesn't feel like a passion anymore or something I am goal oriented in.

On the other hand, I've acquired a growing interest in fitness and keeping a healthy lifestyle. I've found what appears to be a creditable personal training course here in Edmonton that would fast track me to a career in a far shorter amount of time than my degree would. As well, its something that, rather than my major, I do think about and research in my spare time.

I am debating whether or not to drop university entirely and take this personal training course, which is a 5 day a week, for 17 weeks, tuition-based program. On the one hand, I'd feel like I just wasted two years, but on the other hand I don't want to waste my future doing something I've lost interest in.
I think you answered your question with the bolded.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesclues92 View Post

Obviously you've finished this year anyway, meaning you have some time to think before the next University term in September. TBH you sound like a young person that doesn't know what they want to do yet which is perfectly normal. What can be a mistake is in spending a lot of coin on things you don't know you will be interested in for long.

Your use of words is revealing as well. You "acquire" interests. But you can just as easily lose those interests. Doesn't sound like Classics was a lifetime path for you. I doubt fitness is either.

Do some aptitude tests, explore, ask questions, look around the world and see what really might interest you. Nothing odd about having some career thought changes. I'd also suggest you do much better job researching what might actuallly be available to graduates in any program you might want to take. Also, I mean independent research, not that which is supplied as propaganda by source.

Oh, and the Jays suck, just so I'm on topic in an OT thread..

Old
04-30-2013, 08:34 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
In the pitching staff's defense it's really hard to pitch when you don't get any run support.
Or you know, they finally get some run support and just hand the game to the Red Sox.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:30 AM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

I’m not sure if this is the best place for this, but there is an active NHL13 GM Connected League for PS3 that is about to start its off-season. There following teams are available: BOS, BUF, CAR, FLA, MON, NYR, PHI, PIT and WIN in the East and ANA, CAL, DAL, EDM and SJ in the West. Current rosters were posted by the league’s commissioner on the EA Sports NHL thread in the Fantasy Hockey & Video Games section here: http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1417095.

Seeing as your team is open (although there have been some roster changes,) I was hoping to get some interest in joining. We really have a good group of people with an solid and dedicated core of GMs. Only mandate is to join our Facebook group to converse, talk trades or setup games. The Commissioner does a lot to keep things organized and moving along. He advances every 5 days (off-season will be different, so please sign up soon, if interested!) Feel free to PM me or “Devil X” for more info. Thanks!

Old
05-01-2013, 02:16 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Or you know, they finally get some run support and just hand the game to the Red Sox.
Hah, almost.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:21 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

I just read in the paper this morning that the Edmonton Rush might be the latest NLL team to move. Despite the team's success this year (outside of their home court struggles and first round exit) the franchise experienced an all-time low at the gate averaging just over 7000 people. Down from last year. Rush ownership has looked at a move to Saskatoon but isn't actively pursuing it (yet).

You know that a league is running on fumes when one of their franchises is looking at moving to Saskatoon.

Old
05-01-2013, 04:57 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
I just read in the paper this morning that the Edmonton Rush might be the latest NLL team to move. Despite the team's success this year (outside of their home court struggles and first round exit) the franchise experienced an all-time low at the gate averaging just over 7000 people. Down from last year. Rush ownership has looked at a move to Saskatoon but isn't actively pursuing it (yet).

You know that a league is running on fumes when one of their franchises is looking at moving to Saskatoon.
Edmonton hasn't been a viable option and with the Oil Kings doing as well as they are it isn't helping. I've heard that the Rush are trying to reach out the community more going forward but it's something that needed to be done a long time ago. Why these teams don't give free tickets to school kids is beyond me. I remember getting tickets for Esks games when I was in school, those games always had a lot more fans. What does it hurt the Rush, Capitals or Oil Kings to give away a few thousand free tickets? Get butts in the seats anyway you can.

Old
05-01-2013, 10:24 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

This league was running on fumes when it ran to Edmonton and nothing could be more patently obvious. There is no grassroots support for lacrosse here and predictably very little interest.

I'm sure to make about 3 people in the city passionately angry with this post.

Who cares if they move the Edmonton Rush?

Old
05-02-2013, 02:36 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/life/...489/story.html

God this pisses me off.
****ing cowardly piece of ****.
Weak minded and the brain of a sub-human.

I would love to beat the **** out of a person that abused an animal like that. Cat, dog, hamster, doesn't matter.

Old
05-02-2013, 02:58 PM
timekeep

Whats the max sentence this guy can get?

Old
05-02-2013, 03:39 PM
dnicks17

It's **** like that where an "eye for an eye" type of punishment should be legal.

That kid deserves everything(and more) that happened to that dog to be done to him.

A couple of broken legs before he gets thrown into a cell would be a good start.

Old
05-02-2013, 04:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

^Beating a dog like this would only be the part of it. This man would be one sick puppy that is capable of doing something like that to a kid, or woman.

kudos to the neighbor. Thats some awful stuff to see and never easy to deal with when its your next door neighbor.

Not sure why the mans family allowed him to have a dog as there is enough information contained in the article that hilites the family had pre concerns about the man having a dog in the first place.

I use "man" in the above but not to indicate this individual is worthy of being called one.

Closed Thread