HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McQuaid- I don't think deserves to play

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2013, 04:10 AM
  #1
MarshmontMcSlewfoot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 3,046
vCash: 500
McQuaid- I don't think deserves to play

I know he has folk hero status from beating a few middleweights in a few fights, and won a Cup skating on the third pairing w/Kaberle. However I haven't seen anything impressive from him since the 2011 season. Obviously he's been injured but a player of his age usually takes big steps in his game during those 2 years and he really hasn't at all. There have been no signs that he can handle a bigger role than third pairing D.

I actually like Johnson over him to be honest. I wish this post wasn't the slam post it obviously is but I believe REdden and Hamilton both deserve to play in the playoffs over McQuaid and to not do so would be stupid. Redden and Hamilton are both defensively responsible enough for the third pair (which is the only place McQuaid will play b/c he's not that good.) Don't be stupid Claude put McQuaid in the press box and give us some offense on the blue line.

Especially because CHara and Seidenberg look like different players than they were 2 years ago and while both are still great defensively the offensive side of each of their games has quickly become non existent and flat out poor.

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:10 AM
  #2
westernhome
Registered User
 
westernhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
Redden can be a little shaky in his own end, but he can make some big league offensive plays now and then... overall a pretty solid guy to have in the line up I think

the Toronto series has the potential to get pretty rough though, with fights, McQuaid comes in handy


Last edited by westernhome: 04-29-2013 at 05:17 AM.
westernhome is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:20 AM
  #3
KnightofBoston
MVP
 
KnightofBoston's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Easthampton, Ma
Country: United States
Posts: 13,329
vCash: 500
My reservation with McQuaid isn't that he hasn't taken big steps since the 2011 season, whatever that means. The issue is that his season has been plagued with injuries and he didnt start the season on the right foot to begin with. He should have waited and it his weight back up first. McQuaid is only effective when he's bruising and all there, this season has been tough for him in that regard and it's very obvious on the ice.

I know Hamilton has his defensive short comings but the team is struggling to score goals, he should dress and IF he looks like he's a bit out of place his minutes can be cut back, but his presence offensively on the blue line is missed, especially on the pp

In the end though, it's not going to make a significant difference and if this team can't beat the leafs this issue with the 6th D will not be the culprit

KnightofBoston is online now  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:23 AM
  #4
westernhome
Registered User
 
westernhome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,225
vCash: 500
true, he is playing kind of banged up when you look at what he has been through, he couldn't possibly be considered to be 100% I don't think

westernhome is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 08:19 AM
  #5
MaCam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eastern Mass
Country: United States
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
Love McQuaid, but it should be Hamilton in over him or Boychuk in the playoffs.

MaCam is online now  
Old
04-29-2013, 08:21 AM
  #6
doubleminor138
Call me Snake
 
doubleminor138's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northeast
Country: United States
Posts: 14,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaCam View Post
Love McQuaid, but it should be Hamilton in over him or Boychuk in the playoffs.
Same, but I think we all know that's not what's going to happen.

__________________
Terry Tomasi / Backin72

A true fan who will always be remembered.
doubleminor138 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 08:23 AM
  #7
MaCam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Eastern Mass
Country: United States
Posts: 3,737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by doubleminor138 View Post
Same, but I think we all know that's not what's going to happen.
Yeah, I doubt it either. Claude likes to go with experience first.

MaCam is online now  
Old
04-29-2013, 08:27 AM
  #8
ODAAT
Registered User
 
ODAAT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
My reservation with McQuaid isn't that he hasn't taken big steps since the 2011 season, whatever that means. The issue is that his season has been plagued with injuries and he didnt start the season on the right foot to begin with. He should have waited and it his weight back up first. McQuaid is only effective when he's bruising and all there, this season has been tough for him in that regard and it's very obvious on the ice.

I know Hamilton has his defensive short comings but the team is struggling to score goals, he should dress and IF he looks like he's a bit out of place his minutes can be cut back, but his presence offensively on the blue line is missed, especially on the pp

In the end though, it's not going to make a significant difference and if this team can't beat the leafs this issue with the 6th D will not be the culprit

Good pts, any other year, in which Quaider has played more, I have no hesitation with him in there, but with his pre-camp health problem, then some injuries during the year, the guy just hasn`t been able to play enough to appear as though he`s yet comfortable out there.

Having the grittier/meaner Quaider against the Leafs (and I believe CJ will do this) is wise.

ODAAT is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 08:36 AM
  #9
duckchobbins
Registered User
 
duckchobbins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 24,944
vCash: 500
McQuaid has been caught chasing guys and been out of position way too much lately. I wouldn't be surprised if he was scratched to start the playoffs, but I assume it will be Hamilton sitting.

duckchobbins is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 08:38 AM
  #10
DarrenBanks56
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,522
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
McQuaid has been caught chasing guys and been out of position way too much lately. I wouldn't be surprised if he was scratched to start the playoffs, but I assume it will be Hamilton sitting.
i agree.
i dont think claude is stupid enough to start mcquaid against a speedy team.

DarrenBanks56 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 09:02 AM
  #11
CptxMorgan
Dangerzone
 
CptxMorgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Lawrence, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 5,902
vCash: 500
I love Lonewolf, but he really hasn't been himself this season. Dougie and Redden should be starting over him IMO.

CptxMorgan is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 09:05 AM
  #12
DKH
Registered User
 
DKH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 29,899
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to DKH
Toronto is a good team for McQuaid- cant put Dougie out there because he has been shakey lately and Claude is not going to get fired using him over Redden or a Cup vet

DKH is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 09:06 AM
  #13
Bad Hat Harry
Registered User
 
Bad Hat Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ME
Country: United States
Posts: 1,034
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
I know he has folk hero status from beating a few middleweights in a few fights, and won a Cup skating on the third pairing w/Kaberle. However I haven't seen anything impressive from him since the 2011 season. Obviously he's been injured but a player of his age usually takes big steps in his game during those 2 years and he really hasn't at all. There have been no signs that he can handle a bigger role than third pairing D.

I actually like Johnson over him to be honest. I wish this post wasn't the slam post it obviously is but I believe REdden and Hamilton both deserve to play in the playoffs over McQuaid and to not do so would be stupid. Redden and Hamilton are both defensively responsible enough for the third pair (which is the only place McQuaid will play b/c he's not that good.) Don't be stupid Claude put McQuaid in the press box and give us some offense on the blue line.

Especially because CHara and Seidenberg look like different players than they were 2 years ago and while both are still great defensively the offensive side of each of their games has quickly become non existent and flat out poor.
So because he hasn't really improved and has shown that he's just a bottom pairing guy he doesn't deserve to play?

I think he brings a more physicality, experience, and poise than Hamilton, and I'll take him in a playoff series.

Bad Hat Harry is online now  
Old
04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
  #14
WreckItRask
Registered User
 
WreckItRask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 7,103
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightofBoston View Post
My reservation with McQuaid isn't that he hasn't taken big steps since the 2011 season, whatever that means. The issue is that his season has been plagued with injuries and he didnt start the season on the right foot to begin with. He should have waited and it his weight back up first. McQuaid is only effective when he's bruising and all there, this season has been tough for him in that regard and it's very obvious on the ice.

I know Hamilton has his defensive short comings but the team is struggling to score goals, he should dress and IF he looks like he's a bit out of place his minutes can be cut back, but his presence offensively on the blue line is missed, especially on the pp

In the end though, it's not going to make a significant difference and if this team can't beat the leafs this issue with the 6th D will not be the culprit
I've been saying this all along, so I'm glad we're all starting to notice it. Injuries are one thing, but he's literally the same player (and even worse this year) than the first NHL game he played. He hasn't improved even a little bit. I think this year has been an aberration with all the injuries, etc, so I'll say that I'm perfectly fine with him most years as a 6th defenseman. But I'd much rather roll with Hamilton in his spot at this point.

I like Adam McQuaid, but he's a dime a dozen NHLer. There are dozens of guys that can fill the role that he fills.

WreckItRask is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 10:39 AM
  #15
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 27,900
vCash: 500
You could literally say this about half the roster right now.

LSCII is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
  #16
DoubleAAAA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 3,388
vCash: 500
Quite frankly I think Aaron Johnson looked as good or better than McQuaid in that role this year. I think his surgery took a toll. He's clearly lost some weight and strength. I'll reserve judgement until he gets a full off-season/training camp next year before declaring him dead weight, but he's struggled this year for sure.

DoubleAAAA is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
  #17
smithformeragent
Moderator
 
smithformeragent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Manchester NH
Country: United States
Posts: 10,214
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
I'd go

Chara/Boychuk
Seidenberg/Hamilton
Redden/Ference

You hide Hamilton late in the game if need be, but they didn't go out and get a PMD at the deadline so he needs to play.

__________________
Don't put metal in the science oven.
smithformeragent is online now  
Old
04-29-2013, 11:39 AM
  #18
Colt.45Orr
Registered User
 
Colt.45Orr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,011
vCash: 500
The playoffs are a (hockey) war.

You want McQuaid when you go to war --he has already proven he is a playoff warrior. All those extra hits in the corner add up over a series.

Do not tell me, not for once second, that he wasn't missed last year.

Colt.45Orr is online now  
Old
04-29-2013, 11:44 AM
  #19
bme44
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
I know he has folk hero status from beating a few middleweights in a few fights, and won a Cup skating on the third pairing w/Kaberle. However I haven't seen anything impressive from him since the 2011 season. Obviously he's been injured but a player of his age usually takes big steps in his game during those 2 years and he really hasn't at all. There have been no signs that he can handle a bigger role than third pairing D.

I actually like Johnson over him to be honest. I wish this post wasn't the slam post it obviously is but I believe REdden and Hamilton both deserve to play in the playoffs over McQuaid and to not do so would be stupid. Redden and Hamilton are both defensively responsible enough for the third pair (which is the only place McQuaid will play b/c he's not that good.) Don't be stupid Claude put McQuaid in the press box and give us some offense on the blue line.

Especially because CHara and Seidenberg look like different players than they were 2 years ago and while both are still great defensively the offensive side of each of their games has quickly become non existent and flat out poor.



I understand the concerns about McQuaid, what I do not understand is how Boychuck's game is not being questioned more. IMO he has been a big disappointment this year, Mc Quaid at least has had injury issues Boychuck what is his explanation??

bme44 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 11:45 AM
  #20
HereWeGoBRUINS92*
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 217
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
I'd go

Chara/Boychuk
Seidenberg/Hamilton
Redden/Ference

You hide Hamilton late in the game if need be, but they didn't go out and get a PMD at the deadline so he needs to play.
Have you watched Boychuk this season?! WOOF. the guy blows. He is the teams worst defenseman far and away. i don't want him getting top 2 minutes when he's a 3rd pairing guy. He's gotten progressively worse over his years. I want him sitting tbh.

HereWeGoBRUINS92* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 12:18 PM
  #21
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer
 
Bruinswillwin77's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hooksett, NH
Country: United States
Posts: 5,738
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereWeGoBRUINS92 View Post
Have you watched Boychuk this season?! WOOF. the guy blows. He is the teams worst defenseman far and away. i don't want him getting top 2 minutes when he's a 3rd pairing guy. He's gotten progressively worse over his years. I want him sitting tbh.
Seems like every time he pinches even the slightest bit he causes a 3-2 or 2-1.

Bruinswillwin77 is online now  
Old
04-29-2013, 12:47 PM
  #22
Btown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Blah blah blah complain complain complain.
Wednesday u will all be singing another tune.
It's playoffs baby and the bruins will not be stopped!
Dry ur eyes and support ur team!

Btown is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 01:23 PM
  #23
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 24.6%
 
BrainOfJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: State St.
Country: United States
Posts: 20,022
vCash: 500
We are soft enough as is, unfortunately going up against a team like Toronto we need as much size as we can get.

BrainOfJ is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 01:32 PM
  #24
WBC8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 37,889
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
The playoffs are a (hockey) war.

You want McQuaid when you go to war --he has already proven he is a playoff warrior. All those extra hits in the corner add up over a series.

Do not tell me, not for once second, that he wasn't missed last year.
Everyone says we lost the Flyers series because of Krejci's injury...but the Bruins lost McQuaid that same game and as we know lost 4 straight...

He's a must start... a 70% McQuaid is worth it...especially vs the Leafs...

Komorov is going to be the most hated player in the NHL (by us) during this series..

WBC8 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 01:33 PM
  #25
WBC8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 37,889
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
I like a Dougie-Wade bottom combo would add up to the worst plus/minus rating ever recorded in a 7 games series (only half kidding)

WBC8 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.