HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Columbus Thread IV (All City/Arena Questions, Ticket Exchange, Meetups, etc in here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 01:22 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
"A man was pelted to death outside of Nationwide Arena. He is believed to have been attempting an act of terror, but was stopped when an undercover officer known as 'Chuckles the Anti-Terror Clown' unleashed a torrent of bowling pins. As per department policy, Chuckles would not speak on camera, but recreated the scene using balloon animals."
Classic.

Old
04-28-2013, 03:59 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
"A man was pelted to death outside of Nationwide Arena. He is believed to have been attempting an act of terror, but was stopped when an undercover officer known as 'Chuckles the Anti-Terror Clown' unleashed a torrent of bowling pins. As per department policy, Chuckles would not speak on camera, but recreated the scene using balloon animals."
I need to buy you a drink, sometime.

Old
04-28-2013, 04:04 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackets4life View Post
...As a result, the dad I was standing next to in line had to take his kids home disappointed, not being able to buy tickets to what would have been the kids first CBJ game of the year...
How many kids? If he had gotten there earlier and been limited to two, would he have had to choose which ones to leave on the street?

Old
04-28-2013, 05:11 PM
Zoo16
Bye West,Hello East!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby View Post
Security in the crowd was there, constantly circling, mingling, watching, opening backpacks, etc. Saw it firsthand. Arena security and CPD had a guy sitting near starbucks on plaza open his backpack and told him to move along if he wasn't attending game. Now, I don't think they actually could have FORCED someone to "move along" since it was clearly an invited gathering of hangers-arounders, but I do think there was increased vigilance.

Stinks like all out that society has come to this. But, speaking as a spouse of a first responder, there is very little that can be done to prevent such tragic events like the Boston incident. Balancing freedoms and security is a delicate charge.

Too bad we can't rely on human decency. I'm just thrilled the night went off without incident.
Excellent post. Seriously, saying security was a joke because a lot of people were amassed outside waiting to go in.....

Old
04-28-2013, 07:52 PM
jackets4life
Nosebleed Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
How many kids? If he had gotten there earlier and been limited to two, would he have had to choose which ones to leave on the street?
Like I said, each individual standing in line was allowed to buy 4, there were 3 of them so techically they would have been able to buy 12. Just give the money to each kid and let them buy the remaining needed quantity.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:48 AM
JacketsDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackets4life View Post
I would like to air one grievance I had yesterday. I got off work around 1:30, booked it down to the arena to stand in the green seat line. Got there at 2, was most likely in the front 15% of the line by the time the tickets went on sale. Had some awesome conversations and met some really cool people. Now, the line went from the ticket office all the way to the corner nearest Huntington Park, maybe a little longer. Right as I got inside the ticket office, there were no more seats to be had. Only the first 70 people or so got tickets. Why? Because CBJ policy says every individual can buy 4 Green Seats. So, nearly every single person did, came out of the ticket office, and sold their extras to scalpers at a huge profit. This was simple a complete mismanagement of ticket distribution by the club. Knowing the kind of demand there would be, they easily could have made the limit two tickets per person. As a result, the dad I was standing next to in line had to take his kids home disappointed, not being able to buy tickets to what would have been the kids first CBJ game of the year.

Also, season ticket reps came around offering free suite tickets to the game to anyone who placed a deposit last night, but could not offer anything for people like me who placed a deposit two weeks ago. My rep did offer to give me one of the three individual seats he had left in the arena free of charge, but I couldn't accept because I needed two together. Just happy I have season tickets next year so I don't have to deal with that experience ever again.
If you really wanted to go to the game - why wait until the day of the game to stand in line? I have no problems with the 4 limit.
Just to cut to the chase - we had 3 sellouts all year (maybe 4?). If you wanted to go to the game tickets were available to that game up to Thursday. Now by Friday a ton of people jumped on the bandwagon and only singles were left.
But the green seats are not a right. It's 200 tickets set aside for folks willing to stand in line to grab cheap tickets. if you get one consider yourself lucky, if you don't then it's not anyone's responsiblity except your own.
Again I apologize for being so direct - but as someone who has paid full PSL price since the beginning I definetely do not get upset if not everyone can get discounted tickets the day of the game. I sincerely hope in next few years that it becomes a huge problem. I know I've had students sit directly behind me talking about they walked up and got student rush tickets, for tickets I'm paying $66 for.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:56 AM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBleedUnionBlue View Post
I'll make 1 comment on the increased security last night.

I arrived at 5:45 pm. The line on west side of arena was backed up to and wrapped north on Front street. Assumed they opened gates at 6 pm. I entered the Arena at 6:35 pm.

If the Arena believes they enhanced security last night, they are fools. Any copycat with a pressure cooker inside a duffelbag or backpack could have killed dozens and injured 100's outside the arena last night as we waited in ridiculously long lines. A suicide bomber with explosives strapped to their chest could have detonated an explosion outside the arena as thousands waited to enter Nationwide.

It's utterly ridiculous to think security was increased last night in the wake of the Boston bombings. The notification to arrive to the Arena early only created a greater risk by causing a huge, exposed, and unprotected crowd to gather outside.
That's funny, because that is what we were all talking about while we waited in the massive crowd to get in. That would have been a suicide bombers dream. All those people massed into one spot. Hell, he didn't even have to worry about trying to enter the building.

We got a table on the patio at the 3LM at about 3:15. Even then there were security personnel walking up and down the pedestrian walkway checking the trash cans. Fire Dept. bomb sniffing dog showed up around 4:30 or so.

All that proved on Saturday is that there is no way that those nut jobs will be stopped. The terrorists will just adapt and adjust their tactics.

Last edited by Double-Shift Lassé: 04-29-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: too close to political
Old
04-29-2013, 09:23 AM
1857 Howitzer
******* Linesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Fire View Post
That's funny, because that is what we were all talking about while we waited in the massive crowd to get in. That would have been a suicide bombers dream. All those people massed into one spot. Hell, he didn't even have to worry about trying to enter the building.

We got a table on the patio at the 3LM at about 3:15. Even then there were security personnel walking up and down the pedestrian walkway checking the trash cans. Fire Dept. bomb sniffing dog showed up around 4:30 or so.

All that proved on Saturday is that there is no way that those nut jobs will be stopped. The terrorists will just adapt and adjust their tactics.
We were all saying the same thing where we were standing too. I was running late and was still outside around 6:50 when they just opened the flood gates and just started letting everyone in without really checking anything other then bags.

04-29-2013, 04:17 PM
IBleedUnionBlue

vCash: 940
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1857 Howitzer View Post
We were all saying the same thing where we were standing too. I was running late and was still outside around 6:50 when they just opened the flood gates and just started letting everyone in without really checking anything other then bags.
Agreed. I am a hazardous waste responder / instructor and have had sufficient CBRNE training. Anyone with half a brain could see this was a clusterf. 10,000 or more people on 2 plazas for a winter sport where a suicide bomber could easily hide explosives under a winter coat to a December or January game and take out dozens of people. But set aside the terrorist concerns and imagine a 1 hour wait in 40 degree temps and a pouring rain. There is no way fans are going to be willing to be backed up to Front street in those conditions and let these 2 pieces of human garbage that set off a bomb in Boston put us through that.

Old
05-17-2013, 05:09 PM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
Hey just a hypothetical, if Jackets changed their names to Ohio Blue Jackets for whatever reason would you be alright with it?

If they moved to Cleveland would you still root for the team?

Old
05-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Double-Shift Lassé
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnboy1009 View Post
Hey just a hypothetical, if Jackets changed their names to Ohio Blue Jackets for whatever reason would you be alright with it?
Wouldn't like it but in the end I'd live with it.

Quote:
Wow. Whole other issue entirely. I can't answer that.

Old
05-18-2013, 01:37 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:

Why would they move to Cleveland...?

Cleveland isn't on anybody's list of go-to destinations - particularly not an NHL team. Nor are the Jackets seeking to relocate ... this question is moot. But, to answer it bluntly, no. No, I wouldn't.

Old
05-18-2013, 03:30 AM
CBJWennberg41
Formerly CBJBrassard

Quote:
No. They're from Columbus, keep it as Columbus.

Quote:
Not worried about it.

Old
05-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Dr. Fire
What, me worry?

Move to Cleveland? Won't happen.

Columbus is growing, and Cleveland is shrinking. Columbus metro area will overtake Cleveland's in a few years.

They need to worry about attendance at Cavs and Indians games. Browns? No worries.

They had their shot and blew it.

Not bashing Cleveland, just being honest. Love heading up there for Browns games.

Last edited by Dr. Fire: 05-18-2013 at 12:57 PM.
Old
05-18-2013, 01:27 PM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Move to Cleveland? Won't happen.

Columbus is growing, and Cleveland is shrinking. Columbus metro area will overtake Cleveland's in a few years.

They need to worry about attendance at Cavs and Indians games. Browns? No worries.

They had their shot and blew it.

Not bashing Cleveland, just being honest. Love heading up there for Browns games.
Agree, and there's no need to change the team's name, either.

Old
05-21-2013, 10:34 PM
The Korean*

Purely hypothetical. Who knows what happens in 30 years. I am asking because theres a severe backlash towards Isles moving to Brooklyn which is merely 32 miles or so away from where they are now.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Purely hypothetical. Who knows what happens in 30 years. I am asking because theres a severe backlash towards Isles moving to Brooklyn which is merely 32 miles or so away from where they are now.
Big, big difference between 32 miles - and remaining in generally the same city - and 120 miles.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:49 PM
The Korean*

Carolina fans seemed to be happy supporting their team in Charlotte moving from Raleigh. Roughly the same distance between two cities.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:54 PM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Carolina fans seemed to be happy supporting their team in Charlotte moving from Raleigh. Roughly the same distance between two cities.
Charlotte is also the home of Carolina's AHL affiliate.

The state of North Carolina is only fractured among collegiate lines, not professional ones. Ohio is the opposite.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:06 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
They were playing in Charlotte because they were awaiting the completion of their new arena ... big difference.

Old
05-22-2013, 12:23 AM
The Korean*

I meant Carolina fans didnt seem to mind the IDEA of their team moving to Charlotte if thats what it took to keep the team in Carolina.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:15 AM
db2011

Quote:
The difference between Columbus and Cleveland exists, but it's nothing compared to the different cultures of Brooklyn and "Long Island". Consider, no love lost between Mets fans and Yankees fans, Gianst and Jets fans.

I'm not surprised there is a backlash; Brooklyn is not Long Island. I'm sure many Islanders fans feel like they're losing their team.

Old
05-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Skraut

The Indians are leading their division, and playing to an empty stadium every night.

This isn't the same town it was 20 years ago. There's no way it could support an NHL franchise.

Old
05-22-2013, 09:43 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
They were playing in Charlotte because they were awaiting the completion of their new arena ... big difference.
They played in Greensboro, not Charlotte. About a hundred mile difference.

Old
05-22-2013, 01:21 PM
The Korean*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
The Indians are leading their division, and playing to an empty stadium every night.

This isn't the same town it was 20 years ago. There's no way it could support an NHL franchise.
People are skeptical of the Indians, they will be back when Indians consistently win.

Closed Thread