HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

The YETI - Soderberg

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-26-2013, 01:39 PM
  #676
Nose Face Killah
It's Tuukka Time
 
Nose Face Killah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Methuen, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spylogic3 View Post
Jagr has a flu, so the "new" line at practice is:

Soderberg - Kelly - Daugavins

Also, Jagr didn't travel to Washington with the team.
I guess gods can get sick

Nose Face Killah is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 02:06 PM
  #677
BaBaBruins
Tuukka Time.
 
BaBaBruins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: NJ Shore
Country: United States
Posts: 1,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spylogic3 View Post
Jagr has a flu, so the "new" line at practice is:

Soderberg - Kelly - Daugavins

Also, Jagr didn't travel to Washington with the team.
This is excellent timing for the flu bug to come around....and no I am not being sarcastic.

Just enough time for it to run its course and mess up a few guys so everyone can get healthy in time for round 1.

BaBaBruins is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 03:26 PM
  #678
Wiggleboom
Registered User
 
Wiggleboom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 308
vCash: 500
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_S%C3%B6derberg

updated

Wiggleboom is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 03:40 PM
  #679
missingchicklet
Registered User
 
missingchicklet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Country: Sweden
Posts: 9,631
vCash: 500
It looks to me like he is wanting the puck but not getting it as much as he would like. There have quite a few times where he drifts into the slot and nobody acknowledges him and even attempts to get him the puck while he is in a good scoring position. I like the fact that he appears to have a scorer's mentality. Hopefully the guys will learn his style over time and start feeding the Yeti.

While he's not winning all the physical battles out there on offense and defense, he's certainly willing to get dirty and try to battle. That's been something that has been good to see from him. It's only a matter of time before Soderberg becomes a real force in the NHL.

missingchicklet is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 03:49 PM
  #680
Ogrim
Registered User
 
Ogrim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Stockholm
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Carl waited all these years to feel 'ready'. Still looks a little frightened to me but despite that he's doing his best to go to the dirty areas. I'm certainly happy about that and firmly believe that's exactly what he needs to do right now. The faster he can get used to the physical play, the sooner he'll get the confidence to use his talent.

Ogrim is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 04:57 PM
  #681
WhiteMandingo
Registered User
 
WhiteMandingo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Saskatchewan
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 500
I could be wrong but Soderberg looks closer to 220 or 230lbs than 207.

WhiteMandingo is online now  
Old
04-26-2013, 05:35 PM
  #682
Schnurvel
Registered User
 
Schnurvel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Växjö/Linköping
Country: Sweden
Posts: 253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazinBruins View Post
I could be wrong but Soderberg looks closer to 220 or 230lbs than 207.
He is. (Or at least he was the last time they checked in Sweden XD) I'm too lazy to convert this to lbs now (:p), but at the start of this season he was about 99 kgs, and he's said he usually gains weight during the season. In an article a couple of months ago it said he weighed around 104 kgs.

Schnurvel is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 05:57 PM
  #683
Lord Ahriman
Registered User
 
Lord Ahriman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnurvel View Post
He is. (Or at least he was the last time they checked in Sweden XD) I'm too lazy to convert this to lbs now (:p), but at the start of this season he was about 99 kgs, and he's said he usually gains weight during the season. In an article a couple of months ago it said he weighed around 104 kgs.
99 kg ~ 218lbs

104 kg ~ 229lbs

Lord Ahriman is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 10:43 PM
  #684
spylogic3
Registered User
 
spylogic3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Oh, no ... Soderberg wants to be like Kelly:

“They’re different players (referring to Jagr and Kelly), but Kelly is a great two-way player,” Soderberg said. “I watch him a lot because I want to be the same player like him.”

Wow ... Julien is thinking about using Soderberg in the playoffs:

Julien noted Soderberg has improved in every game, but admitted he is still figuring out what position (LW or C) to play him come playoff time.

Soderberg likes the NHL game and the ice surface:

“I feel actually good. I like the game here. I like the ice surface too,” Soderberg said. “It’s been tough maybe the first practices and games because I haven’t played in a long time, so the cardio was a little bit tough and the timing too. But it has been better and better.”

* FULL ARTICLE: http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin...carl_soderberg

spylogic3 is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 11:15 PM
  #685
RussellmaniaKW
Registered User
 
RussellmaniaKW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,411
vCash: 500
Love this guy's attitude

RussellmaniaKW is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 11:20 PM
  #686
neelynugs
Registered User
 
neelynugs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Vote Quimby!
Posts: 29,465
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spylogic3 View Post
Oh, no ... Soderberg wants to be like Kelly:

“They’re different players (referring to Jagr and Kelly), but Kelly is a great two-way player,” Soderberg said. “I watch him a lot because I want to be the same player like him.”
]
so soderberg's long-term goal is to become a 3rd line checker who makes 3M per year, and has a no-trade clause? oh yay.

wonder if carl saw any tape of kelly playing with the cage. possibly became an overnight idol for him with that gynormous half shield.

neelynugs is offline  
Old
04-26-2013, 11:38 PM
  #687
gillesgilbert
Registered User
 
gillesgilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1,456
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by missingchicklet View Post
It looks to me like he is wanting the puck but not getting it as much as he would like. There have quite a few times where he drifts into the slot and nobody acknowledges him and even attempts to get him the puck while he is in a good scoring position. I like the fact that he appears to have a scorer's mentality. Hopefully the guys will learn his style over time and start feeding the Yeti.

While he's not winning all the physical battles out there on offense and defense, he's certainly willing to get dirty and try to battle. That's been something that has been good to see from him. It's only a matter of time before Soderberg becomes a real force in the NHL.
I honestly haven't seen much offensive potential from him yet.He doesn't seem very strong on the puck .I hope I am wrong but I only see the Soderberg-Kelly -Jagr line providing minimal offense in the post season due to Jagr's presence on the line.It''s kind of a sad state of affairs of the team with Lucic and Horton's lack of production that we are looking for more offense from a guy with limited NHL experience.If the Krejci-Lucic-Horton line was playing up to potential,we could probably be a real legit contender for the Cup, even if we had Caron in the bottom 6.

gillesgilbert is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 06:36 AM
  #688
bluetib
Registered User
 
bluetib's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 319
vCash: 500
Another pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg‎ (106.8 KB, 33 views)

bluetib is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 02:49 PM
  #689
spylogic3
Registered User
 
spylogic3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 207
vCash: 500
Stephen Harris (Boston Herald) did an article on Soderberg:

http://bostonherald.com/sports/bruin...carl_soderberg

spylogic3 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 01:51 AM
  #690
MyXoMoPBL
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Linköping
Country: Sweden
Posts: 66
vCash: 500
So, I've not been watching the games but my initial thought is that Söderberg isn't doing too well?

MyXoMoPBL is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 02:07 AM
  #691
Cronuss
Registered User
 
Cronuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 6,102
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyXoMoPBL View Post
So, I've not been watching the games but my initial thought is that Söderberg isn't doing too well?
I think he is just fine.

He has been playing smart and responsible, and has shown that he has skill.

He is still learning the new system and everything, but I think he is going to contribute soon.


Cronuss is online now  
Old
04-29-2013, 08:27 AM
  #692
bp13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyXoMoPBL View Post
So, I've not been watching the games but my initial thought is that Söderberg isn't doing too well?
There are moments when he looks lost but overall he seems okay to me. With an offseason and a camp I think it's possible he's a top 9 player for us. Good size and good hands. As for now, he should be scratched for the playoffs. If he isn't, he'll be marginalized almost immediately. He barely keeps up towards the end of shifts now...he'll die out there when the level ramps up.

bp13 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 09:09 AM
  #693
BoyntBergie
Registered User
 
BoyntBergie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 5,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
There are moments when he looks lost but overall he seems okay to me. With an offseason and a camp I think it's possible he's a top 9 player for us. Good size and good hands. As for now, he should be scratched for the playoffs. If he isn't, he'll be marginalized almost immediately. He barely keeps up towards the end of shifts now...he'll die out there when the level ramps up.
Agreed. He needs time to become more acclimated. He was atrocious in yesterday's game vs. Ottawa, a poor time for a poor showing and I'd say he cemented himself as your top scratch candidate, especially as the B's will need Thornton against the Leafs.
To be honest, Daugavins has looked like the better option over Soderberg the last 2 games.

It's still good to have him in case of injuries in the post season, and I'm excited to see him next season, but he's not an everyday post-season player in the NHL yet.

BoyntBergie is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 09:11 AM
  #694
bp13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,676
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyntBergie View Post
Agreed. He needs time to become more acclimated. He was atrocious in yesterday's game vs. Ottawa, a poor time for a poor showing and I'd say he cemented himself as your top scratch candidate, especially as the B's will need Thornton against the Leafs.
To be honest, Daugavins has looked like the better option over Soderberg the last 2 games.

It's still good to have him in case of injuries in the post season, and I'm excited to see him next season, but he's not an everyday post-season player in the NHL yet.
Daugavins looked great again, though in typical Bruins fashion, he's got no finish. Still, I'd keep him in the lineup and scratch Soderberg. When intensity ramps up Soderberg is going to look like he's in slow motion.

bp13 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 09:14 AM
  #695
Bad Hat Harry
Registered User
 
Bad Hat Harry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: NH
Country: United States
Posts: 774
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyXoMoPBL View Post
So, I've not been watching the games but my initial thought is that Söderberg isn't doing too well?
Guy has played 6 NHL games. It's not that he isn't doing well, but he isn't living up to the unrealistic expectations people had about about him immediately scoring a hat-trick every game.

Bad Hat Harry is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 09:15 AM
  #696
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!
 
GloryDaze4877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Sticks (West MA)
Country: United States
Posts: 21,835
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Daugavins looked great again, though in typical Bruins fashion, he's got no finish. Still, I'd keep him in the lineup and scratch Soderberg. When intensity ramps up Soderberg is going to look like he's in slow motion.
Unless he has another gear and ramps it up as well?

I agree that he has had his issues, but I also don't think that it's a coincidence that the lines he is on have often been the best in games of late. When he was with Jagr and Kelly they looked good. Then when Jagr got sick and Dawgs was inserted, that line looked good.

It's doubtful Pevs sits because of his PK ability, but I might sit Thornton and see how Soderberg looks. If he doesn't have the extra gear, bring in a pissed off Thornton for Game 2.

GloryDaze4877 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 09:48 AM
  #697
DoubleAAAA
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Unless he has another gear and ramps it up as well?

I agree that he has had his issues, but I also don't think that it's a coincidence that the lines he is on have often been the best in games of late. When he was with Jagr and Kelly they looked good. Then when Jagr got sick and Dawgs was inserted, that line looked good.

It's doubtful Pevs sits because of his PK ability, but I might sit Thornton and see how Soderberg looks. If he doesn't have the extra gear, bring in a pissed off Thornton for Game 2.
I thought he's looked ok so far, but last night he was hot garbage. That line was a disaster.

DoubleAAAA is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 10:34 AM
  #698
TheReal13Linseman
Registered Abuser
 
TheReal13Linseman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Nation's Capital
Country: United States
Posts: 6,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neelynugs View Post
so soderberg's long-term goal is to become a 3rd line checker who makes 3M per year, and has a no-trade clause? oh yay.

wonder if carl saw any tape of kelly playing with the cage. possibly became an overnight idol for him with that gynormous half shield.
he'll end up being the Subotka we let go

__________________
My views have No Movement Clauses.
Bruins HF Board: Come for the lunacy; stay for the snipefest.
Marchand: Today's Linseman
No matter what, Soderberg would've scored there
TheReal13Linseman is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 10:48 AM
  #699
Jack Donaghy
Good God Lemon
 
Jack Donaghy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Somerville MA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,401
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryDaze4877 View Post
Unless he has another gear and ramps it up as well?

I agree that he has had his issues, but I also don't think that it's a coincidence that the lines he is on have often been the best in games of late. When he was with Jagr and Kelly they looked good. Then when Jagr got sick and Dawgs was inserted, that line looked good.

It's doubtful Pevs sits because of his PK ability, but I might sit Thornton and see how Soderberg looks. If he doesn't have the extra gear, bring in a pissed off Thornton for Game 2.
I would do that as well. I'm guessing Claude starts Thornton but I really have no idea.

Do we think Horton will be back? I didn't see anything in the injury thread. Daugavins did look good but he's got to sit if Horton's back.

Jack Donaghy is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 10:56 AM
  #700
SPV
Zoinks!
 
SPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 4,637
vCash: 500
I think if Soderberg & Jagr get continued time on the power play, they will find some rhythm in the post-season. It's my one glimmer of hope I'm clinging to regarding the power play.

It has to be Thornton that sits if Horton is healthy.

SPV is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.