HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Claude Julien

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2013, 11:15 PM
  #526
dickiedunnwrotethis
Registered User
 
dickiedunnwrotethis's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: saskatoon
Country: Canada
Posts: 312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by finchster View Post
Is that why he is coaching the Latvian national team? Or why he hasn't coached since 2008 in the NHL? I suggest you might want to study a little bit about making any sense before you post your argument.

Yes Neely would send a message, "Hey here is a guy who's never coached a game in his life, so we have given up on you and this season completely"
Ted Nolan: Three straight Memorial Cup appearances (four overall) with one win. Turned a Sabres team with one all-world goaltender and not much else into a first place club. Amid the circus that was the Islanders he turned a floundering gong show into a respectable hockey team. But he's not coaching in the NHL so he must suck. Because there's never any reason why a good coach isn't in the NHL. Okay then.

dickiedunnwrotethis is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 12:17 AM
  #527
finchster
Registered User
 
finchster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Petersburg
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 7,516
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to finchster
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
Ted Nolan: Three straight Memorial Cup appearances (four overall) with one win. .
Some coaches are better suited for Jr hockey, because their abrasive style works better with young players who don't have much say (see Don Hay), unlike millionaires who will always outlive their coach.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
Turned a Sabres team with one all-world goaltender and not much else into a first place club.
Won the division, 6th place in the NHL and lost in the second round. Ruff got the Sabres to the finals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
Amid the circus that was the Islanders he turned a floundering gong show into a respectable hockey team. .
The 'circus' that is the Islanders was a more modern phenomenon. Prior to Nolan being hired the Islanders made the playoffs 4/5 seasons. Missing the playoffs in 2005/06 had a lot to do with DiPietro flaking out that season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
Because there's never any reason why a good coach isn't in the NHL. Okay then.
Because he's never got along with management ever? Look at some of the rumours about him do a google search on Nolan/Hasek . Many NHL teams also tried to hire him but he turned down jobs and according to Esposito's book, wanted too much money (750k in 1997, more than Scotty Bowman made). Ted Nolan is the wrong direction for the Bruins or any NHL team.


Last edited by finchster: 04-29-2013 at 12:23 AM.
finchster is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 06:11 AM
  #528
petrobruin
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: London Ont.
Posts: 647
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
Again, the fact that the team played lights out from an offensive standpoint was an apparition and should not be counted on to ever happen again from a Claude Julien team. I will concede to the fact that the Cup wasn’t simply won by Tim Thomas in 2010 but people need to realize that expecting that 2010 run to happen again given Claude’s “system” is like banking your retirement on hitting the lottery.
This is not at all fact ,

Bruins finished 2nd and third in goals for the last 2 years before this. That's in the entire league of great teams coached by great coaches. This year the bruins dropped to eight.

Clode is probably not the only problem the team faces right now. I see lots of lackluster play.

petrobruin is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 06:16 AM
  #529
bigcat188
Registered User
 
bigcat188's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Cape Cod
Country: United States
Posts: 1,089
vCash: 500
Julien is not going anywhere? Just to much left on his contract,and Jacobs is to freakin cheap to pay two coaches.

bigcat188 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 06:18 AM
  #530
Latrappe
Selke winner
 
Latrappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
I have to disagree. A loss to the Leafs and he could be out. It's a long shot and shouldn't happen but still a low possible outcome.
I have to disagree. We will see personel changes before Chiarelli fired Clode. Just take last night... on Ottawa 3rd goal. Where was the coverage? The guy was standing all alone in front of our net. Execution is the problem more then anything else. Clode is not responsible for the blind passes who are made in the neutral zone and he's not responsible for the intercepted crossice passes made in the defensive zone. Decision making, decision making, decison making...

Latrappe is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 06:33 AM
  #531
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 17,389
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
I have to disagree. We will see personel changes before Chiarelli fired Clode. Just take last night... on Ottawa 3rd goal. Where was the coverage? The guy was standing all alone in front of our net. Execution is the problem more then anything else. Clode is not responsible for the blind passes who are made in the neutral zone and he's not responsible for the intercepted crossice passes made in the defensive zone. Decision making, decision making, decison making...
There's definitely an execution problem, but Clode's D-to-D and long stretch passes to the half-wall system is easily countered by any coach who has watched tapes from Bruins games.

Fire Julien is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 06:37 AM
  #532
Vic Rattlehead*
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: St-Hubert, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat188 View Post
Julien is not going anywhere? Just to much left on his contract,and Jacobs is to freakin cheap to pay two coaches.
?

Is that why Lewis was let go after one season?

Jacobs isn't cheap. It's hard to call a man who is quite philanthropic cheap, btw.

Vic Rattlehead* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 06:43 AM
  #533
Latrappe
Selke winner
 
Latrappe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
There's definitely an execution problem, but Clode's D-to-D and long stretch passes to the half-wall system is easily countered by any coach who has watched tapes from Bruins games.
Execution and decision making. I'm not sure why, this year, our forward refuse to shot on goal. There's so many scoring chances who are generate only because you shoot the puck on the net. The Bruins are overpassing to a fault; they REFUSE to shoot the puck. There's too many players, on this team, who doesn't want the puck on their sticks in cruch times. That's why i think we need a MAJOR overhaul upfront. We need to acquire players who WANTS the puck and make it happen.

Latrappe is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 06:48 AM
  #534
du5566*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 2,471
vCash: 500
This thread has been going on for a couple weeks now. I stand by my original post...... If the Bruins get bumped early in the playoffs Chia will take a long look at this coaching staff. This team needs an major overhaul starting from the top down. Ownership may even take a long look at Chia.

There is no room for complacency in professional sports. 2010/2011 was great but it's irrelevant when evaluating the piss poor effort shown by this team over the past two years.

du5566* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 06:49 AM
  #535
Fire Julien
Registered User
 
Fire Julien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bergen
Country: Norway
Posts: 17,389
vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Execution and decision making. I'm not sure why, this year, our forward refuse to shot on goal. There's so many scoring chances who are generate only because you shoot the puck on the net. The Bruins are overpassing to a fault; they REFUSE to shoot the puck. There's too many players, on this team, who doesn't want the puck on their sticks in cruch times. That's why i think we need a MAJOR overhaul upfront. We need to acquire players who WANTS the puck and make it happen.
I just think most teams have figured out Julien's system... and since he hasn't done any adjustment in years, the book is out on how to stop the Bruins from scoring. A star like Jagr can make things happen on his own despite of the system, but for some reason Chiarelli doesn't seem interested in getting guys like that, he'd rather load the team with two-way guys who can't score.

Fire Julien is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 09:18 AM
  #536
bp13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confound View Post
Ok.....would you still feel the same if the Bruins lost in 5 or 6?

Not saying it's gonna happen, every series for us under Julien has gone to at least 7. Another first round exit for a second consecutive year is pretty bad though.
Yeah I would. I don't judge a coach based on one series.

I'm not opposed to the idea of firing a coach if it's the best way to turn a team around, but I just feel like CJ is well-respected in the room and not the biggest issue. Call it confidence or maybe bigger problems, but you're not going to win when 2 of your top scorers (Lucic and Horton) are lousy all-around hockey players in 75% of the games they play. Further, if your team mantra is toughness, how do you expect to be a consistent force when some of your toughest guys either fail to show or stop doing their job (Lucic, Horton, Thornton)?

If this team loses in Round 1 (seems very possible to me, but they're almost certainly done in round 2 if not), they need to make real changes. Firing the coach, IMO, would be glossing over the bigger issues. If you clean out a few lazy guys and instill some new blood and you still don't get anywhere, then go ahead and try a new coach.

bp13 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 09:21 AM
  #537
LSCII
Dark Cloud
 
LSCII's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Central MA
Country: United States
Posts: 24,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvelertak View Post
?

Is that why Lewis was let go after one season?

Jacobs isn't cheap. It's hard to call a man who is quite philanthropic cheap, btw.
Jacobs made Chia carry Lewis' salary as part of his cap as a penalty for hiring/firing him.

And let's not rewrite history. Jacobs entire tenure in Boston has been very much about being profitable instead of winning.

LSCII is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 09:24 AM
  #538
bp13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,933
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by du5566 View Post
This thread has been going on for a couple weeks now. I stand by my original post...... If the Bruins get bumped early in the playoffs Chia will take a long look at this coaching staff. This team needs an major overhaul starting from the top down. Ownership may even take a long look at Chia.

There is no room for complacency in professional sports. 2010/2011 was great but it's irrelevant when evaluating the piss poor effort shown by this team over the past two years
.
If you believe this, and I think I do too, how do you justify keeping multiple players on your team who are the definition of complacent players?

The "Fire the Coach" camp uses a logical reason to fire the coach, but it applies even more so to some key players. Why not try to bring in more professional, consistent players and if that fails, THEN fire the coach?

bp13 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 10:54 AM
  #539
SPV
Zoinks!
 
SPV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Country: United States
Posts: 4,814
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvelertak View Post
?

Is that why Lewis was let go after one season?

Jacobs isn't cheap. It's hard to call a man who is quite philanthropic cheap, btw.
Some reputations will never go away. since the transition to a salary cap though; I have no issue with Jacobs, who seems willing to spend to the limit.

On topic, the one thing I like heading into this post-season is the eerie feeling of simliarity to the 2011 post-season. We are relataively healthy, not playing well, the players and coach are both playing with the Sword of Damocles hanging over their respective heads, but the guys seem to still like each other and have each other's backs.

I don't expect Julien will be fired even if this team has a first round exit; but I expect that if that happens he will be on a short leash next year.

SPV is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
  #540
GloryDaze4877
Thanks Burkie!!
 
GloryDaze4877's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: The Sticks (West MA)
Country: United States
Posts: 21,980
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Yeah I would. I don't judge a coach based on one series.

I'm not opposed to the idea of firing a coach if it's the best way to turn a team around, but I just feel like CJ is well-respected in the room and not the biggest issue. Call it confidence or maybe bigger problems, but you're not going to win when 2 of your top scorers (Lucic and Horton) are lousy all-around hockey players in 75% of the games they play. Further, if your team mantra is toughness, how do you expect to be a consistent force when some of your toughest guys either fail to show or stop doing their job (Lucic, Horton, Thornton)?

If this team loses in Round 1 (seems very possible to me, but they're almost certainly done in round 2 if not), they need to make real changes. Firing the coach, IMO, would be glossing over the bigger issues. If you clean out a few lazy guys and instill some new blood and you still don't get anywhere, then go ahead and try a new coach.
Agree with this 100%.

Make some personnel changes, including adding at least one PMD, and if the team still struggles, then Clode gets the boot.

GloryDaze4877 is online now  
Old
04-29-2013, 11:15 AM
  #541
panny2727
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 850
vCash: 500
guys that don't change and adapt get the boot. tom coughlin was on a short leash with his defense and run game style for the giants. 2 championships and a big time passing game later he is still there. clode needs to let jagr take control of the pp. let him assemble both units and how they will be run. heck i think he should be on both of them, like we saw in a couple games. if clode doesn't allow for change, these guys are toast and it would be time for a new vision . unless he is stubborn and his way works again. It won't work because of boychuck and mcquaid don't have enough vision to make the right break out pass instead of just up the boards.

I think dougie should play for this reason because it will enable them to score 2-3 goals more over a series. clode won't buy into it for game 1. I would be shocked to see Doug.

panny2727 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 11:24 AM
  #542
willy29
Registered User
 
willy29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 431
vCash: 500
down by a goal or even with 6 minutes left in a must win (for 2nd seed and to avoid PITTS in the second round) and you are playing your fourth line....Cloude must go....play the ***** out of your top two lines and maybe stick the third line in once and a while.

willy29 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 11:45 AM
  #543
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?
 
Mike Yeos Eyebrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
down by a goal or even with 6 minutes left in a must win (for 2nd seed and to avoid PITTS in the second round) and you are playing your fourth line....Cloude must go....play the ***** out of your top two lines and maybe stick the third line in once and a while.
I would not be surprised at all if Campbell gets 15-18 minutes.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 11:49 AM
  #544
panny2727
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 850
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
down by a goal or even with 6 minutes left in a must win (for 2nd seed and to avoid PITTS in the second round) and you are playing your fourth line....Cloude must go....play the ***** out of your top two lines and maybe stick the third line in once and a while.
the 4th line has the most pulse right now. he should of had thornton on it instead of dogman. don't know why he broke up the chemistry of the 4th after they were playing well and hard.

panny2727 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 12:04 PM
  #545
the overrated
wicked overrated
 
the overrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Suburbia
Country: United States
Posts: 4,210
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
If you believe this, and I think I do too, how do you justify keeping multiple players on your team who are the definition of complacent players?

The "Fire the Coach" camp uses a logical reason to fire the coach, but it applies even more so to some key players. Why not try to bring in more professional, consistent players and if that fails, THEN fire the coach?
Agreed. If there are complacent players, those guys should be moved, not the coach. If playing in the NHL, for one of the better teams in the league and with a realistic shot at a Cup, isn't enough to motivate a guy, I don't think a new voice in the locker room is going to work miracles.

Maybe seeing someone that was presumed to be 'safe' traded away would be a wake-up call for the others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willy29 View Post
down by a goal or even with 6 minutes left in a must win (for 2nd seed and to avoid PITTS in the second round) and you are playing your fourth line....Cloude must go....play the ***** out of your top two lines and maybe stick the third line in once and a while.
There's been a lot of games in which the 4th line has been the most productive & energetic lines. Overskating a top 6 that haven't been lighting things up lately isn't much better than skating a line that might cause a turnover or at least bury the other team in it's own end.

the overrated is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 12:54 PM
  #546
bp13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 10,933
vCash: 500
It's also telling to me just how much fan sentiment changes based on the smallest of things.

For example, if any of our forwards bury the bevy of chances they had in the 3rd last night and the Bruins win, what's the mood regarding the coach today? And just what does he have to do with guys like Seguin and Lucic forgetting how to score DESPITE getting numerous great chances?

The inconsistent efforts are alarming. The power play disaster continues to be a fatal flaw. There are viable reasons to question CJ, I admit. But this team still outchances their opponents and would look a hell of a lot better today if some of the supposed stars just delivered more consistently.

bp13 is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 12:57 PM
  #547
GodTukka*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
Oh god people want Ted Nolan over Claude?

Even if Boston were to get humiliated in this series i wouldn't want him gone, guy has done a lot and has earned a couple seasons worth of leash imo

Change the players first, if that doesn't work THEN you look at perhaps changing coaches

GodTukka* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 01:10 PM
  #548
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Derp?
 
Mike Yeos Eyebrows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Swansea, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 16,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodTukka View Post
Oh god people want Ted Nolan over Claude?

Even if Boston were to get humiliated in this series i wouldn't want him gone, guy has done a lot and has earned a couple seasons worth of leash imo

Change the players first, if that doesn't work THEN you look at perhaps changing coaches
It's people like that who make every fan that is in favor of a coaching change sound like a whackjob.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 01:16 PM
  #549
GodTukka*
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
It's people like that who make every fan that is in favor of a coaching change sound like a whackjob.
Indeed.

Alaways thought Nolan was overrated, kind of thought i was proven right by the fact he hasn't coached in the NHL since like what, 2008?

GodTukka* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 01:29 PM
  #550
Fenian24
Registered User
 
Fenian24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 933
vCash: 500
I have been hot and cold with Clode since he came here. I like the fact that he likes tough hockey but it drives me crazy to see guys like Seguin not turned loose and Hamilton being sat while Johnny Boychuk looks like a human turnstile.

Saturday night is the reason I would let Claude go. I cannot believe that 18 guys got together without the coach around and all said "hey, let's stop forechecking, which has been working great so far, and just sit back and let the Caps come at us with a two goal lead, that should work out well huh?". Claude has had them go into a shell in the third period with a lead ever since they lost to Pittsburgh in the third.

I don't just blame Julien, I think there are some major issues here that need to be looked at over the summer. I would start by moving (or buying out if needed) Boychuk and Peverley, think long and hard about moving Lucic, not just as a throw away but as the piece that gets you a number 1 or 2 puck moving defenseman. For a team built on character and grit they have shown very little of it this year, time to shake things up.

Oh and needless to say whatever happens in the playoffs Geoff Ward should be fired, awful power play and now a leaky penalty kill.

Fenian24 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.