HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > General Fantasy Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
General Fantasy Talk Forum for fantasy leagues, mock and all time drafts, and hockey video games.

PPM Part VIII: Sponsor Offers are in for Hockey!

Closed Thread

Old
04-26-2013, 10:20 AM
canucks357

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Blooded View Post
Is the sign-and-sell the best strategy? I have an RFA that I'm going to lose. The bid is only 2M, but I'm currently -5.9M so I don't have much of a choice. I have a ton of RFA's coming up two seasons though, so it'd be nice to know how to play it when it comes up!
It will cost me 5-10M to keep them and sell them for 10-20M I figure. The catch is it costs me a transfer count if I do that. If I let them go I don't lose a transfer count.

Old
04-26-2013, 10:48 AM
suprvilce

Quote:
This is going to come off as incredibly arrogant; but do you ever get a feeling of empty sadness when you scout a player of an upcoming opponent to get a feeling for their training philosophy and the result is a window into a black hole of wasted potential?

A newly promoted team in my league had this player who was pulled from his own academy:

25y 3/6 Universal

OR: 1185

G: 19 54%, D: 58 71%, O: 283 99%, S: 161 80%, P: 207 73%, T: 272 97%, A: 122 92%.

The guy is universal and has a winger EQ of 91.23%, but is trained as a center while wasting a ton of OR points in irrelevant attributes. The guy has 1185 OR (which granted isn't great for a 25y player) but he wouldn't even crack my lineup despite having what would be the 2nd highest OR on my team!

I almost want to send him a message with some pointers in player development, but I would probably just come off as a huge ***** and he wouldn't listen anyway.
Yeah i understand you. Out of curiosity i scouted several players around the leagues in my country, found several top prospects managers around the world love to get them, but instead they rot away on bad teams. For example, LINK this goalie, i think he was 6/6 at 15, he could have made a fortune had he sold him, he could have become a national team goalie no doubt, at least for u18 and u20 teams. It's so sad how many top, and i mean TOP prospects are pulled by such teams that don't have facilities even close to train them or don't even think of trading them.

Old
04-26-2013, 11:49 AM
Emerald76

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprvilce View Post
Yeah i understand you. Out of curiosity i scouted several players around the leagues in my country, found several top prospects managers around the world love to get them, but instead they rot away on bad teams. For example, LINK this goalie, i think he was 6/6 at 15, he could have made a fortune had he sold him, he could have become a national team goalie no doubt, at least for u18 and u20 teams. It's so sad how many top, and i mean TOP prospects are pulled by such teams that don't have facilities even close to train them or don't even think of trading them.
I hear ya.

The friends I have playing this game all started after I did, the advice I gave them straight away was to sell off ALL their top prospects until they get to about Lvl 10 TF.

Old
04-26-2013, 02:46 PM
saint2e

Welp, I just about doubled the maximum amount I've ever spent on one transfer today in hockey. I spent $75M on one player. Previous record: $40M.

This guy is gonna be a Franchise goalie for me though.

18years old
6/6 CL
already 869 OR with 362 Primary.

This makes him my 3rd string goalie, but my current goalie was only 666OR at the end of his 18th year, so this guy is on track to be my backup in 1-2 seasons, and my go to goalie in 2-3 seasons.

Old
04-26-2013, 03:15 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by saint2e View Post
Welp, I just about doubled the maximum amount I've ever spent on one transfer today in hockey. I spent $75M on one player. Previous record: $40M.

This guy is gonna be a Franchise goalie for me though.

18years old
6/6 CL
already 869 OR with 362 Primary.

This makes him my 3rd string goalie, but my current goalie was only 666OR at the end of his 18th year, so this guy is on track to be my backup in 1-2 seasons, and my go to goalie in 2-3 seasons.
Hmmm my 21 year old formerly declared a prospect but has aged to a ripe 21yo was only 700 OR when he turned 18. My #1 and #2 (now RFA and UFA-I age) certainly were worse. NICE GRAB!

My only hope is my 15 6/6 99/90/94 Q'd buy for 80M. He has trained 155 points in 65 days so even at 1.8/day (trains over 1.9 now) and not training camps he should crack 900 OR when he turns 18. So, in short, you got a guy very similar for less money and less wait!

Old
04-26-2013, 04:46 PM
tescosamoa

Lost by one goal....

Old
04-26-2013, 06:57 PM
Obryantj

In hockey, my team is exceeding expectations thus far. We're currently sitting in 2nd place; only 1 point behind the Psychos.

Note: For those of you checking the RFA market, I'll be keeping Malta unless you make a very generous offer (i.e. enough for me to upgrade that position).

-------------------

In soccer, I was able to pick up a win in today's NC match. This keep me in contention for reaching my season goals (top goal: finish the season in the top 10 in OTR).

Old
04-26-2013, 07:19 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obryantj View Post
In hockey, my team is exceeding expectations thus far. We're currently sitting in 2nd place; only 1 point behind the Psychos.

Note: For those of you checking the RFA market, I'll be keeping Malta unless you make a very generous offer (i.e. enough for me to upgrade that position).

-------------------

In soccer, I was able to pick up a win in today's NC match. This keep me in contention for reaching my season goals (top goal: finish the season in the top 10 in OTR).
Congrats! I lost in the NC. Was out-managed. Forgot about a red card at LB. Slotted in my backup but still had often offside trap set. He attacked that side specifically for that reason and won 2-0. It is fine though. Of the 4 teams advancing 2-3 will finish in the top 4 and thus will make the ChL. Should I fall from the top-4 I'll be in the CWC. I'm only missing out on the chance at OTR. I doubt I would have beaten NKDJ/Kenora Stingers - whichever I would have faced in the semi-finals.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:19 AM
tujague

Rough season in soccer so far. Just a lot of bad timing lately. If its not picking up early red cards or suspensions from cards, then it's injuries. Yesterday I had two reds in the first 30 minutes. And probably should have had another at 37 minutes when a Dman pole-axed someone, but only received a yellow. I still managed to hang on for a 2-2 draw. Lots of little bad luck like this so far.

The one position I can't afford to lose players from is SD. Leroy Blount,who was injured for a couple of weeks, finally comes back and picks up one of the reds. He'll have played a total of 30 minutes of a possible 990. Of course, he's my best Dman as well

Update on Leonard Stamper's training. He started with a 21 IGR as a CM. Trained Speed for 36 straight days and has been going back and forth between Speed & Pass for the last week plus. He's now up to a 26 IGR That's a very nice jump made even more surprising by his now 88 energy.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:02 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Originally Posted by tujague View Post
Update on Leonard Stamper's training. He started with a 21 IGR as a CM. Trained Speed for 36 straight days and has been going back and forth between Speed & Pass for the last week plus. He's now up to a 26 IGR That's a very nice jump made even more surprising by his now 88 energy.
What was his ratio and what is it now?

Old
04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
tujague

Quote:
Are we underestimating the importance of speed on a CM? (EDIT: Hell yes I was!) Here's two very similar players. Stamper has been on the team for a while, and Svorad is a new guy. Svorad was actually purchased to play LSM, but I'm using Bamburg out there in important matches until his chemistry is up a bit. So Svorad was moved inside to build chemistry when Bamburg plays.

Stamper|Svorad
Mid- 283|269
Shot- 128|121
Pass- 185|157
Tech- 212|165
Speed- 43|187
Head- 95|54

Exp- 38|31
Chem- 78|10

IGR 21|22
Stamper|Svorad
Mid- 283|280
Shot- 128|121
Pass- 192|157
Tech- 212|165
Speed- 82|202
Head- 95|75

Exp- 42|36
Chem- 100|71

IGR 26|23 (with ~8-10 less energy?)

Refresher: Svorad is an SM who was getting better ratings than Stamper at CM. Svorad gets a 26 outside.

Am I doing anything else blatantly wrong?

Old
04-29-2013, 02:37 PM
Blue Blooded

I just wasted a ton of energy beating a bottom-feeder 4-2 despite home-ice advantage and winning tactics.

I was planning on using a backup formation with some prospects sprinkled into the lineup while resting some veterans, but I had forgotten to actually put it in for the game, so all of my best players were playing.

I had the first 13 shots, then they score on their 1st shot. Halfway into the 2nd the shots are something like 23-3 in my favour when I finally tie it up. The game staying close throughout made me play L-N-N instead of the planned L-VL-VL. The shot count ended up being 49-14. Ridiculous, but I guess I at least got the 3 points in the end...

Old
04-29-2013, 03:52 PM
canucks357

Quote:
Stamper|Svorad
Mid- 283|280
Shot- 128|121
Pass- 192|157
Tech- 212|165
Speed- 82|202
Head- 95|75

Exp- 42|36
Chem- 100|71

Refresher: Svorad is an SM who was getting better ratings than Stamper at CM. Svorad gets a 26 outside.

I think it is more not enough speed on the guy on the left rather than the guy on the right is super awesome CM. If you look at the ratio of each atty between the two guys the secondaries are similar (with the left having ~20% more in P,T,H). Thus the guy on the right has a 20% reduction compared to the guy on the left's peak however the guy on the left has less-than-ideal speed (30-35% is best I've found). If you take 23 and times it by 1.2 you get 27-28 for an IGR. If you train speed on the guy on the left to the 30-35% I think it should be I suspect you'll see his IGR bang on in that range.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:18 AM
canucks357

Nhl predictor pool

Read the latest Canadian National News article. I'm running a NHL playoff predictor pool, a free-entry one for Canadian and American users as well as a pay one (higher prize pool) for everyone - 10 credit entry fee.

More info here: LINK

Old
04-30-2013, 06:31 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
Rough season in soccer so far. Just a lot of bad timing lately. If its not picking up early red cards or suspensions from cards, then it's injuries. Yesterday I had two reds in the first 30 minutes. And probably should have had another at 37 minutes when a Dman pole-axed someone, but only received a yellow. I still managed to hang on for a 2-2 draw. Lots of little bad luck like this so far.

The one position I can't afford to lose players from is SD. Leroy Blount,who was injured for a couple of weeks, finally comes back and picks up one of the reds. He'll have played a total of 30 minutes of a possible 990. Of course, he's my best Dman as well

You're doing a good job of hanging in the standings for the injuries and suspensions you've had. I keep seeing side defenders that I want on the market, but can't justify picking them up (due to lack of need). I'd imagine you could make a pretty big splash there.

Quote:
Stamper|Svorad
Mid- 283|280
Shot- 128|121
Pass- 192|157
Tech- 212|165
Speed- 82|202
Head- 95|75

Exp- 42|36
Chem- 100|71

I'm big on comparables, so here's a CM and LM with similar stats:

Hammons|Allen
Mid- 304|288
Shot- 152|116
Pass- 213|158
Tech- 198|143
Speed-106|217
Head- 107|72

Exp- 17|34
Chem- 82|77
Eng- 97|99

IGR -27 (CM)|28 (LM)

Old
04-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Obryantj

In soccer, I started dipping into available funds about a week and a half ago and added a few players and replaced a coach who was getting ready to retire. While I'm happy with what I've been able to add, I'll be paying over 1.8M a day between player salaries and the fee for having more than 30 players.

I'd be willing to shed certain players on my team (most likely not starters or NT players). If you're interested in anyone, let me know and we can discuss availability. I should mention that I suspect that some of the current players that aren't on a junior NT will be before the end of the season. I'd be less willing to let those players go as well.

team link: Boilermakers

Old
04-30-2013, 06:54 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
I just wasted a ton of energy beating a bottom-feeder 4-2 despite home-ice advantage and winning tactics.

I was planning on using a backup formation with some prospects sprinkled into the lineup while resting some veterans, but I had forgotten to actually put it in for the game, so all of my best players were playing.

I had the first 13 shots, then they score on their 1st shot. Halfway into the 2nd the shots are something like 23-3 in my favour when I finally tie it up. The game staying close throughout made me play L-N-N instead of the planned L-VL-VL. The shot count ended up being 49-14. Ridiculous, but I guess I at least got the 3 points in the end...
I've done the same thing in the past and generally make it a point to check my lineups in both sports before the game each day.

I typically use the same lineup in hockey, only replacing injured players or changing the lineup due to low energy. If you rested some veterans only to conserve energy, then I might recommend keeping the veterans in next time (especially if you anticipate going L-VL-VL). Of course, energy tactics largely depend on your league. Is your competition that stubborn with energy?

Old
04-30-2013, 07:05 PM
canucks357

First loss in 11 games for me. Was playing a good team but I've won the last 3 league meetings between us. He won 3-1 today but played H/H to my L/N. Perhaps it is time to up the ante energy-wise down the stretch though I do have a front-heavy schedule. Problem there is if I burn energy now I'll be screwed down the line when I player beatable teams that suddenly are competitive. If I don't burn now I'll have more later when I should be winning but will lose games that I could make up ground on...

Old
04-30-2013, 09:42 PM
Obryantj

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks357 View Post
First loss in 11 games for me. Was playing a good team but I've won the last 3 league meetings between us. He won 3-1 today but played H/H to my L/N. Perhaps it is time to up the ante energy-wise down the stretch though I do have a front-heavy schedule. Problem there is if I burn energy now I'll be screwed down the line when I player beatable teams that suddenly are competitive. If I don't burn now I'll have more later when I should be winning but will lose games that I could make up ground on...
Congrats on the undefeated streak. It's always nice to get on a run; in part to make up for the occasional unfavorable result. Has your defense performed better lately?

My philosophy on energy use is to use more energy in matches against the teams near you in the standings, or projected standings. Preferably this happens later in the season, but I find those matches to be the most important regardless of when they occur. In your case, a quick glance suggests those teams to be Loser Patrol FC and Muffin Fighters FC.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:12 AM
canucks357

Quote:
Congrats on the undefeated streak. It's always nice to get on a run; in part to make up for the occasional unfavorable result. Has your defense performed better lately?

My philosophy on energy use is to use more energy in matches against the teams near you in the standings, or projected standings. Preferably this happens later in the season, but I find those matches to be the most important regardless of when they occur. In your case, a quick glance suggests those teams to be Loser Patrol FC and Muffin Fighters FC.
My d-core and GK are the reason I win. Not until this year have I had guys consistently scoring. I just need to work on my midfield now.

Loser Patrol and Muffin Fighters are the guys I need to beat but there are other teams that tend to make a late-season charge. Any thoughts on Wednesday's ChL game for me? He'll surely play Very High based on his past games. Figure A-squad and L/N will get the win or shall I bump it to L/H or N/H? To be frank since we're meeting in round 2 I have low expectations beyond collecting OTR.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:52 AM
Obryantj

Quote:
My d-core and GK are the reason I win. Not until this year have I had guys consistently scoring. I just need to work on my midfield now.
My understanding was that your defense did not play as well at the beginning of the season as they did last year. I was wondering if they had returned to their previous form. I do see that you've already given up as many goals as you did last year.

Quote:
Loser Patrol and Muffin Fighters are the guys I need to beat but there are other teams that tend to make a late-season charge. Any thoughts on Wednesday's ChL game for me? He'll surely play Very High based on his past games. Figure A-squad and L/N will get the win or shall I bump it to L/H or N/H? To be frank since we're meeting in round 2 I have low expectations beyond collecting OTR.
I don't expect to play you in round 2 as I think there will be at least one upset of a top 12 seed. If you're only going for OTR, I'd vote N/H. If you're trying to advance, I'd suggest L/N and make up the difference as needed in the second leg.

Old
05-01-2013, 08:16 AM
canucks357

Quote:
I don't expect to play you in round 2 as I think there will be at least one upset of a top 12 seed. If you're only going for OTR, I'd vote N/H. If you're trying to advance, I'd suggest L/N and make up the difference as needed in the second leg.
That's a relief . I'll leave it L/N and see how it goes. With a mid-day game it doesn't leave anything to look forward to come the afternoon XD

Edit: Change of plans. Reserve players are going H/VH or H/VL depending on the score. We'll see how I do before adjusting for game 2. Given my A-squad's energy is 5-6 points below the guys chasing me/I'm chasing I need to make up some ground somewhere.

Last edited by canucks357: 05-01-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old
05-01-2013, 09:14 AM
tujague

Quote:
I think it is more not enough speed on the guy on the left rather than the guy on the right is super awesome CM. If you look at the ratio of each atty between the two guys the secondaries are similar (with the left having ~20% more in P,T,H). Thus the guy on the right has a 20% reduction compared to the guy on the left's peak however the guy on the left has less-than-ideal speed (30-35% is best I've found). If you take 23 and times it by 1.2 you get 27-28 for an IGR. If you train speed on the guy on the left to the 30-35% I think it should be I suspect you'll see his IGR bang on in that range.
Yep The guy on the right is certainly not a super awesome CM. He's a decent SM though. I compared them because originally Svorad the SM was getting a better rating than Stamper at CM. Trained Stamper's speed and that's no longer a problem. I even trained McCready's Pass to respectable levels. His IGR also jumped up several points.

What kind of ratings should I be getting at each position. Let's say I have 300 primaries for everyone. What rating would a properly trained player receive?

Quote:
You're doing a good job of hanging in the standings for the injuries and suspensions you've had. I keep seeing side defenders that I want on the market, but can't justify picking them up (due to lack of need). I'd imagine you could make a pretty big splash there.
McCready's having a very good season. That's the only reason why I'm up there. Diaz and Lemieux are playing a good second fiddle. Shipp's doing okay in goal. I'm happy with the integration of the 3 new Mids this season.

The dang defense is thin and missing games too often. I have 3 CDs. Two get 23igr and one a 30. But the 30 is also my top SD sub. (I've since changed this. He's going to stay at CD and I'll just have to be weak on the outside.) I've been looking to add another dman for a while. I kept coming up just short on the players I wanted. Then I made the 'mistake' of starting construction on SA14. I've had to refill the coffers so I can get back into the market.

Quote:
I'm big on comparables, so here's a CM and LM with similar stats:

Hammons|Allen
Mid- 304|288
Shot- 152|116
Pass- 213|158
Tech- 198|143
Speed-106|217
Head- 107|72

Exp- 17|34
Chem- 82|77
Eng- 97|99

IGR -27 (CM)|28 (LM)
I think both of my guys would be at least that high if they had that much energy. Are those starters? NO Thank goodness. That's some ridiculous energy.

NEW THREAD!!
The Players'List has been updated. I've probably missed something. Let me know asap while I care enough to fix it. Otherwise it could be 2-3 seasons before I fix it again

Old
05-01-2013, 09:17 AM
canucks357

Quote:
What kind of ratings should I be getting at each position. Let's say I have 300 primaries for everyone. What rating would a properly trained player receive?
Dwight Gartlan's 287 primary gets him a 27 match rating for me. He has 99 EXP and 91 energy mind you. He is trained: 100/70/65/30/35 with 30 shot (O/P/T/S/H). I suppose I don't have an abundance of speed on him which tells me an experiment lead me to believe heading was important.

Old
05-01-2013, 12:55 PM
canucks357

Wow. 1-1 draw in footy (B-squad, H/H on the road) but a 1-0 loss at home in hockey where shots were 44-11 in my favour. The kicker, he scored with 3min left and I had a breakaway with the best OR'd player in the league (a fwd too) and he "fanned on his shot on the breakaway" with seconds left.

Closed Thread