HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 09:02 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

vCash: 500
There's been a lot of buzz to suggest Drouin may be the best forward in the draft. It started around the time of the WJC, when NM was largely invisible and Drouin was one of Canada's best forwards.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:31 AM
token grinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing Is New View Post
About a 70% chance the Preds draft 4th or better (http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013-nhl-draft-lottery-odds/). These drafts almost always go the way the scouts say they will. So, Jones, Drouin, McKinnon will be gone. We go Barkov - you can take that to the bank.
not completley. Just rewind to last year when it Anaheim picked Lindholm at 5. And Grigerenko fell from 3rd to 12th. And that Forsberg fella dropped too. Maybe the top 2-3 picks kinda go the way they are supposed to. And honestly after Jones at 1, it would not surprise me which of Mackinnon, drouin, Barkov and the russian kid go in whatever order. What I fear is we get stuck drafting Drouin and not one of the 2 centers.

I fear that, but don't think it is likely though--reason being-Florida has very good young center depth in Huberdeau, Shore, Rocco Grimaldi and Nick Bjugastad with top 3/6 potential. They are very light on the Wing, and can use a Dman to go with Gudbranson, and quinton howden. No excuse not to draft Jones.

Colorado is deep at center-Duchene-stastney-O'Reilly are established and beyond that, Sgarbossa and Joey Hishon are there. Beyong, Landeskog, they have a few top 6 potential options at the wing. Sgarbossa played there some, but even then, their wings are weak. This is where I hope/think Droiun goes.

TB is interesting, as they need wings more than anywhere else organizationally. Stamkos and Lecavlier are there, and VL is getting old which screams a center to groom. but they have Namestankov or however you spell it, who should be ready soon. They have a decent depth at wing and in net. D is a huge need as well organizationally. I wouldn't be surprised to see them either trade down to picks 5-7 and draft the Russian and let someone else draft MacKinnon or Barkov.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:34 AM
maplepred

I still think it's a big five rather than a big four. The more I study, read, and watch.

To me it is easily Mack, jones, drouin, bark and nichushkin. After that it drops quite a fair amount IMO. But the difference in those five is not very much at all. In most normal drafts any of those five could be first overall.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Nashville Transplant

I thank GOD Dean Lombardi doesn't have to chime in here... I'm still feeling a bit nauseous sitting around the Kings draft party and hearing him pick Thomas Hickey at 4. LOL.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:05 AM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
One note...

Nicushkin is probably the second most talented\skilled forward in the entire draft. His frame, ability and shot are said to be the best that Russia has produced since Ovechkin--whom he compares favorably to, stylistically. On several scouting lists, he's ranked number 2 in the whole draft.

HOWEVER-- the "Russian Factor" is heavily at play, which will turn many teams off.

The good news is that Tampa Bay has historically not shyed away from taking a Russian--using high picks on Andrei Vasilevski and Nikita Kucherov just last year, whereas many others passed on them due to KHL questions.

If there's one team that could take Nicushkin based on ability alone without fear of his nationality, it's Tampa--which could cause one of the other "big three" to fall to four.
I agree. I could totally see yzerman going for it.

Hell that could mean mackinnon or drouin fall. Jones goes to Florida, Colorado takes drouin as long term winger, Tampa takes nichushkin, and preds get mack.

Really anyway the draft goes, the preds will get a stellar player to build the team around long term.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
I agree. I could totally see yzerman going for it.

Hell that could mean mackinnon or drouin fall. Jones goes to Florida, Colorado takes drouin as long term winger, Tampa takes nichushkin, and preds get mack.

Really anyway the draft goes, the preds will get a stellar player to build the team around long term.
Nichushkin is going to drop after his U18 WC performance, I don't think he's going to be picked top 10 actually. He is a big, strong and fast player but he does not have a whole lot else.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I want Barkov.

Beck-Bark-Bourque

Old
04-29-2013, 10:18 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I want Barkov.

Beck-Bark-Bourque
Would that be our version of the killer B's?

Old
04-29-2013, 10:26 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I want Barkov.

Beck-Bark-Bourque
Forsberg-Wilson-Horns
Killer B's

=

Future Top-6

Old
04-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I don't even like that line, it would just be funny to watch Pete and Terry struggle through it miserably.

Beck to Bourque to Bark, back to Bourque, to Bartley at the point, Bartley passes to Beck who scores!

Old
04-29-2013, 10:30 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
I don't even like that line, it would just be funny to watch Pete and Terry struggle through it miserably.

Beck to Bourque to Bark, back to Bourque, to Bartley at the point, Bartley passes to Beck who scores!
Crispy would sound like he's gargling mouthwash.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:35 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Crispy sounds like he's gargling mouthwash.
Fixed it

Old
04-29-2013, 10:37 AM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaWhaler View Post
Forsberg-Wilson-Horns
Killer B's

=

Future Top-6
If bourque is in our top six we will struggle to score.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Fixed it
True...

Old
04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
braindead

I see almost no chance of Nichushkin being selected in the top 4 and zero chance Poile picks him at 4 or 5.

Poile has a fairly consistent history of making the safest pick possible with a top 10 pick (which I don't mean as a slam at all). He passed on Lupul because Upshall was safer. He picked Suter in the "big 3 defensemen" debate because it was the safest option.

Barkov seems a lock at 4 if available. Poile has a history of selecting guys who's family member played at a high level (Suter, Wilson, Geoffrion... seems like I'm forgetting one) so I think Barkov, who's dad played for a long time in Russia and Finland and who now coaches, is a good bet at 4.

At 5, I think Poile would opt for Lindholm as a safer bet than Nichushkin. Maybe there are others as well that he would favor.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:58 AM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashville Transplant View Post
I thank GOD Dean Lombardi doesn't have to chime in here... I'm still feeling a bit nauseous sitting around the Kings draft party and hearing him pick Thomas Hickey at 4. LOL.
But he has leadership and intangibles. Kind of like a young Scott Niedermayer. Cup or no Cup, I really hate that guy.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:03 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
I see almost no chance of Nichushkin being selected in the top 4 and zero chance Poile picks him at 4 or 5.

Poile has a fairly consistent history of making the safest pick possible with a top 10 pick (which I don't mean as a slam at all). He passed on Lupul because Upshall was safer. He picked Suter in the "big 3 defensemen" debate because it was the safest option.

Barkov seems a lock at 4 if available. Poile has a history of selecting guys who's family member played at a high level (Suter, Wilson, Geoffrion... seems like I'm forgetting one) so I think Barkov, who's dad played for a long time in Russia and Finland and who now coaches, is a good bet at 4.

At 5, I think Poile would opt for Lindholm as a safer bet than Nichushkin. Maybe there are others as well that he would favor.
That has turned out to be a crap draft unless you got Semin or Nash, on the forward side

By performance at the NHL level, he turned out right on that one

Old
04-29-2013, 11:16 AM
maplepred

Hey guys.
Just have two quick questions.

1. Does anyone know when the hockey news brings out its prospect ranking issue?

2. Can teams currently not in playoffs make trades?? (Example: could we acquire vanek now?? Or have to wait until playoffs end?).
I'm pretty sure once out we can make moves, but just want to confirm.

Thanks in advance.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:38 AM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Thn said some time this wk or nxt

Old
04-29-2013, 11:42 AM
utkpred

If Drouin is there he is an absolute take. Dude shows shades of Datsyuk in his highlight reels. Kid is phenomenal, he is exactly what the team needs go forward.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
If we win the lottery I hope we trade to #2 and take Mack. If we pick 4th I hope we take Barkov and if we move to 5th I hope we trade down and take Lindholm.

If we do win the first pick and can't trade to the 2nd pick I still want them to pick Mack but the best thing that could happen is winning the lottery and then trading that pick to Florida for their 2nd round pick plus the #2 pick. I don't see Florida doing something like that though as that second round pick has a good chance to be a good player this year as well. We can hope though.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:52 AM
Top 6 Spaling

If we win, we better be trying to trade down to 2 or 3.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:14 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
Thn said some time this wk or nxt
Is that for hockey news prospect edition or for trades?

Old
04-29-2013, 02:24 PM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
If we win the lottery I hope we trade to #2 and take Mack. If we pick 4th I hope we take Barkov and if we move to 5th I hope we trade down and take Lindholm.

If we do win the first pick and can't trade to the 2nd pick I still want them to pick Mack but the best thing that could happen is winning the lottery and then trading that pick to Florida for their 2nd round pick plus the #2 pick. I don't see Florida doing something like that though as that second round pick has a good chance to be a good player this year as well. We can hope though.
I don't think we can move out of #5 and expect to get Lindholm. He pretty much the #5/#6/#7 guy on all boards depending on where people have the Russian and D.Nurse.

If we move out of #5, there's too great of a chance that we get stuck with a guy we don't want (the Russian/Nurse/Monahan) to risk picking up an extra 3rd or 4th or whatever we would stand to gain by moving up 2 slots, max.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
maplepred

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
I don't think we can move out of #5 and expect to get Lindholm. He pretty much the #5/#6/#7 guy on all boards depending on where people have the Russian and D.Nurse.

If we move out of #5, there's too great of a chance that we get stuck with a guy we don't want (the Russian/Nurse/Monahan) to risk picking up an extra 3rd or 4th or whatever we would stand to gain by moving up 2 slots, max.
I think Lindholm goes #7 personally. Here is what I see happening.

1. Jones
2. Drouin
3. Mackinnon
4. Barkov
5. Nichushkin
6. Nurse
7. Lindholm
8. Monahan

But if we come out of draft with Lindholm I for one would not be impressed if you consider guys we could have got...

Closed Thread