HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 09:29 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Let us all say a prayer to the hockey gods this evening and hope that they are merciful. We have been waiting a long time.

04-29-2013, 09:31 AM
Prongo
Beer

vCash: 500
Flyers are going to make a move for Bobby Ryan. I can see it happening at the draft easily. I don't know if Couts(rumored to have been discussed) will be in the deal, but Anaheim is going to be in a cap crunch come next year. Depending on what they do they have about 6-8 million in cap to go into the off season to bring in a second line center(or re-sign Saku Koivu. Selanne needs to be re-signed(he has made some comments sounding like he could still play. They will be up against the wall if they do decide to spend to the cap(not sure if they do or not but seems like they have to)

I much rather have

Ryan-Giroux-Voracek

than

Gagne-Giroux-Voracek.

I understand some want to wait till he hits UFA, but thats two years away. Flyers probably want to get him now because he is locked up for 2 years and also they will have first right to negotiate beyond this contract. Although I did see Sam Carchidi(I think it was him) say the Flyers brass wasn't sure about bringing him in because of the pressure playing for your home town. I don't think that's really a major distraction though.

Now with that 11th or so overall I really want Pulock. Out of all the defenseman around there, he has the best offensive upside and has shown what he is capable of the most. He isn't a raw prospect like Zadorov, Mueller is still somewhat raw as well. Button has Shea Theodore all the way down at 59, but CSS has him at 11th. He has some offensive potential and size as well at 6'2 but he needs to put on weight being under 180. So damn hard to project these guys. Of course there is Rismus there, who I wouldn't be surprised being take by us. So many possibilities , I can't wait for the damn draft.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Curufinwe

Add to the cap problems, make the team even worse defensively, and give up on a 20 year old with Selke potential. Sounds like a bad idea all round.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:45 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I think teams will target needs here. Buffalo already has Enroth. I see them going for d .

Colorado
Carolina
Buffalo
Edmonton

Should all be targeting D men. If jones go first, then colorado will get bpa. The teams behind us , winnipeg, blue jackets and phoenix are probably going to all target forwards. That is why i think we can get the same player at 11 at 14. I think we will have to jump buffalo to get the player we want .
Well, I'm not sure teams target needs as much as you seem to imply. Colorado wants Jones--no doubt--but if someone else (besides them and FLA) wins the lottery and they drop to 3, they'll take Mackinnon/Drouin--EDIT: As you suggested (didn't see that the first time)

Honestly, Edmonton may well need a big, shutdown 2C more than a 2/3 defenseman. If they win the lottery, they will take Jones, but if they stay put, I think Monahan is the pick.

Buffalo is a wildcard. They have a young potential #1 in Myers and a nice set of young supporting defenseive prospects (McNabb, Pysyk, etc.), but they also have a fairly impressive set of young forwards and forward prospects.

Carolina, too, could go anywhere. They could easily take Nurse--but I don't think that they reach for Ristolainen if Nurse is somehow gone. I also think Nichushkin makes a ton of sense for them.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Add to the cap problems, make the team even worse defensively, and give up on a 20 year old with Selke potential. Sounds like a bad idea all round.
Bobby Ryan isn't a horrible defensive player, but he isn't as good as Couts. I would try a hard as I could to push Matt Read on them, but I don't think that makes it happen. I'm just throwing ideas out there, I can see us targeting him though big time.

Team needs two things desperately, a sniper for Giroux and a top notch defender. Of course we need the two things that are probably the most difficult to acquire through trades.

The line of Hartnell-Schenn-Simmonds was pretty impressive I though also. They seemed to click during their time together at the end of the season.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
Well, I'm not sure teams target needs as much as you seem to imply. Colorado wants Jones--no doubt--but if someone else (besides them and FLA) wins the lottery and they drop to 3, they'll take Mackinnon/Drouin--EDIT: As you suggested (didn't see that the first time)

Honestly, Edmonton may well need a big, shutdown 2C more than a 2/3 defenseman. If they win the lottery, they will take Jones, but if they stay put, I think Monahan is the pick.

Buffalo is a wildcard. They have a young potential #1 in Myers and a nice set of young supporting defenseive prospects (McNabb, Pysyk, etc.), but they also have a fairly impressive set of young forwards and forward prospects.

Carolina, too, could go anywhere. They could easily take Nurse--but I don't think that they reach for Ristolainen if Nurse is somehow gone. I also think Nichushkin makes a ton of sense for them.
The only problem with Carolina is they have a good amount of decent wingers. Semin, Skinner, Ruutu, Tlusty... They might target defense because that is one of their weaker positions. They have Murphy right now and that's about it with defensive prospects for their team. I think big defender makes more sense than Nichuskin.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Last completely uninformed pre-lottery mock draft:

Quote:
1. FLA* - N. Mackinnon
2. COL - S. Jones
3. TBL - J. Drouin
4. NSH - A. Barkov
5. CAR - V. Nichushkin
6. CGY - E. Lindholm
7. EDM - S. Monahan
8. BUF - D. Nurse
9. NJD - Z. Fucale
10. DAL - H. Shinkaruk
11. PHI - R. Ristolainen
Thoughts?

EDIT: Assumes that no trades are made, since they are impossible to predict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
The only problem with Carolina is they have a good amount of decent wingers. Semin, Skinner, Ruutu, Tlusty... They might target defense because that is one of their weaker positions. They have Murphy right now and that's about it with defensive prospects for their team. I think big defender makes more sense than Nichuskin.
I'm assuming that they are drafting BPA--and that CAR is one of a few teams who wouldn't hesitate to pick Nichushkin in the top 7 or so. If you think Nichushkin has the potential to be a top-line winger, and you're willing to take the risk, then he's likely to be BPA any time after pick #5.

Also, while the prospect pool might seem a bit thin for CAR, they do have Faulk (21) and McBain (25) already on their roster.

I could see them taking Nurse--and if Nichushkin is off the board, I think it is probably pretty likely. But if he's there, I'm not so sure.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-29-2013 at 10:15 AM.
Old
04-29-2013, 10:09 AM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I think Florida takes jones and Waits for a team to make a big offer or just keep him. COlorado badly wants jones and im sure they can get something out of them even if its just a 2nd.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Kind of agree. But if Couturier continues to not develop his ability to still be an asset will dwindle tremendously.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:13 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
I think Florida takes jones and Waits for a team to make a big offer or just keep him. COlorado badly wants jones and im sure they can get something out of them even if its just a 2nd.
The most I would offer for Jones is 1st 2013 + 1st 2014 + Cousins (+ Meszaros).

If that doesn't get it done (which it won't), Florida can shove it.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Krishna

Akeson is scoring at an 82 Goal pace and you are saying we need a sniping winger? Cmon prongo

Old
04-29-2013, 10:25 AM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Akeson is scoring at an 82 Goal pace and you are saying we need a sniping winger? Cmon prongo
I heard Akeson has already won the Calder Trophy before next season has even started. Much like Kreider for the Rangers did this season....

Old
04-29-2013, 10:27 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
The most I would offer for Jones is 1st 2013 + 1st 2014 + Cousins (+ Meszaros).

If that doesn't get it done (which it won't), Florida can shove it.
i think we keep 2014 pick since the draft is in philly.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:30 AM
Prongo
Beer

Akeson will probably start the season in the AHL and get called up when there is injuries. I understand it's a joke about him being an 82 goal scorer, but I think he needs to prove more tha one game with the big club before we pencil him into the lineup. If he starts the AHL on a tear, maybe he gets the call without injuries. The only players from our call ups I see here starting the year with the Flyers is Gus. He will fit in nicely on the bottom pairing and moving the puck with Grossmann hopefully. Now where do we trade Mez to for their first

Actually, let's hope Mez has a big rebound year and the Flyers look to trade him. Hopefully with the development of Gus makes Mez disposable at the deadline next year even if we are in contention? Would be nice to sneak another pick in our draft year next year.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:35 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Akeson will probably start the season in the AHL and get called up when there is injuries. I understand it's a joke about him being an 82 goal scorer, but I think he needs to prove more tha one game with the big club before we pencil him into the lineup. If he starts the AHL on a tear, maybe he gets the call without injuries. The only players from our call ups I see here starting the year with the Flyers is Gus. He will fit in nicely on the bottom pairing and moving the puck with Grossmann hopefully. Now where do we trade Mez to for their first

Actually, let's hope Mez has a big rebound year and the Flyers look to trade him. Hopefully with the development of Gus makes Mez disposable at the deadline next year even if we are in contention? Would be nice to sneak another pick in our draft year next year.
If we're in contention next year, our deadline acquisition would theoretically be a top 4 defenseman.

If Mesz is healthy and performing as one again, there is no reason to trade him.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Krishna

If meszaros is healthy?

He's never going to be healthy

Old
04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
If meszaros is healthy?

He's never going to be healthy
True.

In all honesty, there's a reason nobody has penciled him into our lineup for next season.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:46 AM
SuchySays

1% LETS GO..

is it like the NBA lottery where they pull a ball?

Old
04-29-2013, 10:51 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
True.

In all honesty, there's a reason nobody has penciled him into our lineup for next season.
Where is he going to go? He has to be penciled in there. No team will trade for him and his shoulder will be ready to sustain another injury in time for the year to start.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:56 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchySays View Post
1% LETS GO..

is it like the NBA lottery where they pull a ball?
It is all done in a backroom--like the NBA. They just reveal the results--they don't happen live.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:05 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
It is all done in a backroom--like the NBA. They just reveal the results--they don't happen live.
Do they normally televise this? I feel like this would be boring. At least with the NBA Lottery the whole order is randomized (right?). Seems like it will be pretty anti-climactic to talk about crap for a half hour (hour?) then sya oh by the way Florida has first pick GOOD NIGHT!

Old
04-29-2013, 11:11 AM
StevensCakeBakerBacker

Quote:
i think we keep 2014 pick since the draft is in philly.
I doubt the Flyers throw away a deal for Seth Jones because teams historically have a first round pick when hosting the draft. 2 1sts + a prospect to get exactly what this team needs? I think the Flyers make that trade easily.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
I doubt the Flyers throw away a deal for Seth Jones because teams historically have a first round pick when hosting the draft. 2 1sts + a prospect to get exactly what this team needs? I think the Flyers make that trade easily.
Which is why no team would do it...

Even if you only assume a modest bounce-back next year, the Flyers should be in the playoffs--why deal a #1 overall for a mid- and late-1st?

When we were slated to pick 8th, most acknowledged that 8th + Couturier wouldn't be enough to pry jones away from whatever team ended up 1st. We'd need to add even more on top of the 11th overall pick.

Trading up to get Nurse is more realistic.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:22 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Which is why no team would do it...

Even if you only assume a modest bounce-back next year, the Flyers should be in the playoffs--why deal a #1 overall for a mid- and late-1st?

When we were slated to pick 8th, most acknowledged that 8th + Couturier wouldn't be enough to pry jones away from whatever team ended up 1st. We'd need to add even more on top of the 11th overall pick.

Trading up to get Nurse is more realistic.
I love Nurse, but I like our team as it is because of the emergence of Gus.

I think Gus and Ghost are starting to become two legitimate pieces to this puzzle so any defenseman we can take would be a good addition.

In fact, we want to think about moving down at this point.

If someone like Columbus wants to move up to 11 using two of their later-1st round picks this year. We could possibly snatch Zadorov and something else shiny.

11th overall for CBJ 1st and either LAK 1st or NYR 1st.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Do they normally televise this? I feel like this would be boring. At least with the NBA Lottery the whole order is randomized (right?). Seems like it will be pretty anti-climactic to talk about crap for a half hour (hour?) then sya oh by the way Florida has first pick GOOD NIGHT!
You obviously aren't on the programming executive for TSN. They can churn out the expert commentary and projections for as long as they need while nothing of substance is going on (see Trade Deadline Day). They will review the needs of each of the lottery teams, the new rules for which is a boon to them, as it gives them 14 teams to microdissect instead of the previous 5.

All you need to know about the lottery as a TV 'event' is that it is sponsored by Scotiabank. We silly, hockey-mad Canadians will just keep drinking the Kool-Aid until we die of diabetes-related complications.

Closed Thread