HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Bears/NFL Thread #18 -

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 07:04 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recoil View Post

Here's two good articles for you guys to read:

Dan Pompeii Tribune Article on Kyle Long

(The above article is behind a paywall. If you download the add-on NoScript 2.6.6 in Firefox it gets you in just fine. You can disable the script when you are done)
Ever hear of copy and paste or even a screen shot?

Old
04-29-2013, 08:40 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Ever hear of copy and paste or even a screen shot?
Well, some forums have pretty strict rules about pasting content behind a paywall, so I tend to avoid doing it. If a mod here tells me its OK for this site, I'll happily copy/paste it. Still, the paywall is easy to bypass as I mentioned. Just install the plug-in no-script and you are good to go.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:43 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
Talk about the picks and tell me more about the Bears switching to a 3-4 soon. discuss
It's not happening. We don't have the personnel to do it, nor have we been trying to get the personnel to do it. Frankly, it's to our advantage to stay a 4-3 team with most of the league running 3-4. It's easier for us to get the players we want.

That said, I do expect a ton of sub-packages this season.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:12 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Well, some forums have pretty strict rules about pasting content behind a paywall, so I tend to avoid doing it. If a mod here tells me its OK for this site, I'll happily copy/paste it. Still, the paywall is easy to bypass as I mentioned. Just install the plug-in no-script and you are good to go.
That pompei article was free on twitter. So people can go read it there.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:46 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
I just now discovered that the Pack took Lacy. **** me!

Old
04-29-2013, 09:55 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I just now discovered that the Pack took Lacy. **** me!
I'm actually OK with the Pack not taking one but two RBs. They still aren't going to run the ball much. I also actually think the kid they got from UCLA is better than Lacy. There were at least a couple teams that didn't want Lacy, saying that he wasn't as impressive as he was hyped up to be. We will see though.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:57 AM
Illinihockey

Lacey was running behind 2 top 12 draft picks and another pro as well.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Lacey was running behind 2 top 12 draft picks and another pro as well.
Exactly. He isn't going to have that in Green Bay.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:43 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
I'm actually OK with the Pack not taking one but two RBs. They still aren't going to run the ball much. I also actually think the kid they got from UCLA is better than Lacy. There were at least a couple teams that didn't want Lacy, saying that he wasn't as impressive as he was hyped up to be. We will see though.
That is one of the biggest misconceptions about the Green Bay offense. They do run the ball a respectable amount. The production just hasn't been respectable. They have to run it a decent amount in order to set up play-action. Rodgers kills it in play-action. Eddie Lacy will punch you in the mouth. Franklin and (mostly) Harris are going to be the change-of-pace backs that are in there to reasonably protect the passer that catch screens and dump-offs and suck the will out of defenses.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:53 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
They run the ball enough to be a NFL offense.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
That is one of the biggest misconceptions about the Green Bay offense. They do run the ball a respectable amount. The production just hasn't been respectable. They have to run it a decent amount in order to set up play-action. Rodgers kills it in play-action. Eddie Lacy will punch you in the mouth. Franklin and (mostly) Harris are going to be the change-of-pace backs that are in there to reasonably protect the passer that catch screens and dump-offs and suck the will out of defenses.
I guess I should have phrased it differently: They don't run the ball well when they do run it, and as a result, they pass more than they probably should.

The new RBs will help, I just don't know how much they will help. I was actually glad to see that Green Bay didn't invest a ton of effort into their O-Line which I think is the larger problem.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
I guess I should have phrased it differently: They don't run the ball well when they do run it, and as a result, they pass more than they probably should.

The new RBs will help, I just don't know how much they will help. I was actually glad to see that Green Bay didn't invest a ton of effort into their O-Line which I think is the larger problem.
You should be happy we didn't get a safety. I'm only sold on Burnett. Opposite of him is a problem right now. McMillian, Richardson, and Jennings are all very raw, young, and inexperienced. The Nick Collins injury is still hurting us in 2013.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
It's not happening. We don't have the personnel to do it, nor have we been trying to get the personnel to do it. Frankly, it's to our advantage to stay a 4-3 team with most of the league running 3-4. It's easier for us to get the players we want.

That said, I do expect a ton of sub-packages this season.
Greene and Bostic project as 3-4 LBs as does Washington... Shea is a 3-4 guy and we lack DT depth on our roster.

Peppers will be cut in 1 year, Melton is just tagged and our CBs are all Free Agents after this upcoming season.

Getting the personel will be easy.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Greene and Bostic project as 3-4 LBs as does Washington... Shea is a 3-4 guy and we lack DT depth on our roster.

Peppers will be cut in 1 year, Melton is just tagged and our CBs are all Free Agents after this upcoming season.

Getting the personel will be easy.
What? No. No they don't at all.

Greene projects as a 4-3 Weak Side Linebacker --- Lance Brigg's heir apparent. He's not a QB rusher by any stretch, and is great in coverage.

Bostic projects as a MIKE, and also has solid coverage skills in zone and reading a QB --- which is what a 4-3 MIKE does.

Washington, well, he played everything in Georgia because they couldn't figure out what to do with him. He played OLB in the 3-4, DE in a 4-front and even some DT. Classic case of a team mis-using / under-utilizing a player with a ton of talent. He played his BEST with his hand on the dirt though. He looks to be a prototypical 4-3 DE, and if he develops, that is what he will be here.

I'll give you Shea. He's the one question mark of Emery's tenure I still don't entirely get, and could certainly be OLB in a 3-4. But the rest of the people we have are all not only candidates for a 4-3 defense, but the same schemes we tend to run.

We also don't have a 3-4 Nose Tackle on our roster at all. I also don't think we "lack" DT depth. We have Melton, Paea who are both solid and Nate Collins was a good rotational backup. We have 3 DTs. Our rookie Washington may be a rotational DT/DE if needed, but there's still a chance we sign someone like Izzy before the start of training camp. I don't think we have to, if Washington can develop and cover the DE/DT role, but we certainly don't "lack" depth at DT. I'm not sure where Bears fans got this idea on draft day. I think our DTs are both very solid.

And in regards to our two LBs we drafted, here was a good write-up as to why we took Bostic over Arthur Brown, and why he is a better fit for our 4-3 scheme:

Quote:
Brown is a great fit on a team that covers up the opponent’s line (like Baltimore) and uses the 46/Ryan defense – ie LBers drop to a short zone and then pick up any crossing reciever and carry them in a trail technique – (like Baltimore). If Brown was asked to drop and defend the deep third or have a gap assigned as his (and only his) responsibility then he would be a poor fit.

Bostic is better with his eyes on the QB and reading routes as he drops (like the Bears do). He also comes up to the line with more of a pop than Brown which is important in the Bears’ scheme, all the front seven are supposed to attack downhill onto the ball, not go sideways.

So for my mind both teams got the players best suited to their schemes; it is almost as though the players were drafted by proffessional personnel people.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:55 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Greene and Bostic would make good 3-4 ILBs. That's something you can read and hear on many sites. Watched some of their tape, I think I agree with it.

You aren't wrong either. They are versatile enough to play good at both systems.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:56 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Greene and Bostic would make good 3-4 ILBs. That's something you can read and hear on many sites. Watched some of their tape, I think I agree with it.

You aren't wrong either. They are versatile enough to play good at both systems.
There's a decent amount of people who could play in both systems, but there are some core elements that each system requires, and we don't have some of those for the 3-4. So basically, it's just something for the "OMG Bearz R changing 2 a 3-4 Scheme nom nom nom" conspiracy theorists to latch on to and talk about.

No scheme change for us, but as I said before, I expect a lot of interesting sub-packages off our 4-3 base.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Thought the Bears might switch with the coaching change but the personal moves prove they won't.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:27 PM
Recoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Thought the Bears might switch with the coaching change but the personal moves prove they won't.
That, and the fact that Emery and the new coaching staff have flat-out said they aren't changing schemes to a 3-4. Really, why is it even a discussion? It isn't like the draft where you keep all the details close to your vest. The Eagles are switching to a 3-4, so are the Browns and the Saints. The Cowboys are switching to a 4-3 after hiring Monte Kiffin. It's a pretty common thing. The Bears have said they aren't changing. They aren't changing. That's the end of it.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:41 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

they said they won't change it this year... with Peppers still here, Melton playing under the Tag and the CBs still here. Next year could be different

Old
04-30-2013, 12:18 PM
Recoil

Quote:
they said they won't change it this year... with Peppers still here, Melton playing under the Tag and the CBs still here. Next year could be different
Next year always could be different. I just don't see it. It's a possibility of course, but not a likely one. Too many advantages to being one of the few teams still in a 4-3 base. Also we wouldn't have to waste a draft on getting a couple Nose Tackles and changing our LB needs.

If our defense wasn't working, I'd say its on the table. But it has been, and as long as they are even average this year, I don't see the burning need for a change. Usually changes are done with coaching staffs but ours is keeping it the same. If our DC leaves, then perhaps. Or, they try to hire another 4-3 DC.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:51 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Geno Smith fires his agent ,, Blames him for fall to 2nd round

Quote:
Manish Mehta ‏@MMehtaNYDN 2m
How about this: Geno Smith thought he would be & should be the No. 1 overall pick, I'm told. That's why he fired his agents. #nyj
What a ********* move ,, Agent put up a lot of money and time into Smith and his family in these past months

Old
05-01-2013, 08:14 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I will never, ever, feel bad for players agents....

Old
05-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Recoil

Quote:
I will never, ever, feel bad for players agents....
Agreed.

But it makes Geno look like a ***** too. They aren't responsible for his fall to the 2nd round. It was a WEAK QB class. He was the tallest midget this year.

That being said, I still thought that he was the best of them. I don't get the Jaguars not taking him (twice) when they had the chance. I also thought Buffalo would like him over.....EJ Manuel? Man I still totally don't get that pick. I guess they liked the fact that he did well in their "bad weather workout" up there? Just weird.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:29 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
What a dick bag.

Old
05-01-2013, 02:24 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I'm not a Fan of Smith and think he won't even beat out Sanchez, chance given or not

Closed Thread