HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

End of Season Exit Interviews

Old
04-29-2013, 07:19 AM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

vCash: 500
Ryan Smyth
- "I would have loved to have chipped in a little bit more. I want to continue to help this team succeed." - Ryan Smyth
- "My speed isn't like Taylor Hall. It never was and it never will be." Ryan Smyth discussing if he still has the wheels to keep up.
- "Holding each other accountable one day to the next goes a long way. That's how you create consistency." - Smyth cont'd

Godammit, this guy isn't retiring.

Ryan Whitney
- "I'm hoping to sign on a really good team. I've made enough money and I'm hoping to prove them(Oilers) wrong." Ryan Whitney on being a UFA
- Whitney leaves very frustrated. "I'm not going to name any names, but there were definitely some other guys who could have been scratched."

Don't let the door hit you on the way out Canc. I agree with his second point though.

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:45 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4cup View Post
@InsiderTaj: Sounds like the Canucks are very interested in Ryan Whitney.
Doubt Whitney is coming to the Canucks. During the 2011 playoffs he was one the main players that came out and started bad mouthing the Canucks. Apparently hated some players on the team. Called them all kinds of names. Better to have kept his mouth shut here and in leaving Edmonton. Just man up, accept the organization gave you a bundle of money for playing some hockey, keep whatever to yourself and move on.

Whiteny is almost surely headed back to East Coast roots in America - probably Boston. (which in large measure explains his anti-Canuck rants). Don't think Whiteny ever appreciated the trade to Canada and it was never in the cards for him to re-sign anywhere in western Canada

Plus the Canucks have seen enough Barker to hopefully give up on Edmonton rejects.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:30 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

vCash: 50
i have zero problem with what ryan whitney said because he was right. he was press boxed for 13-14 games, when he did play he played with the crappest partner he could get and he still had the same amount of points as ryan smyth. his -7 was eclipsed by the schultz's -17/-13. and if im on a hockey team and corey potter is playing significantly more than me then im going to be bitter. Ryan whitney is still a great hockey player and his first pass will be a huge use to a contending team.

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:57 AM
MinnesotaFats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli View Post
One would think that if MacT was going to axe Krueger, we'd know before the draft. Hell, before the week is up even.

Krueger is speaking now.
Since taking over GM duties, has MacT publicly endorsed Kruger? I can't remember him giving him support. MacT's first big test really is deciding what to do on the coaching front. And he likely needs to decide this week, you're right. Any decent coaching talent out there is going to start drying up soon. If he wants to snag a guy like Ruff, or someone that he thinks is a better fit for the team he wants to build, then he'd better do it soon.

MinnesotaFats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:56 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcatown View Post
Doubt Whitney is coming to the Canucks. During the 2011 playoffs he was one the main players that came out and started bad mouthing the Canucks. Apparently hated some players on the team. Called them all kinds of names. Better to have kept his mouth shut here and in leaving Edmonton. Just man up, accept the organization gave you a bundle of money for playing some hockey, keep whatever to yourself and move on.

Whiteny is almost surely headed back to East Coast roots in America - probably Boston. (which in large measure explains his anti-Canuck rants). Don't think Whiteny ever appreciated the trade to Canada and it was never in the cards for him to re-sign anywhere in western Canada

Plus the Canucks have seen enough Barker to hopefully give up on Edmonton rejects.
Just because he doesn't like the Canucks doesn't mean he hates Western Canada in general. He didn't appreciate Oiler management [like most Oiler fans] but he seemed to enjoy his time in the city.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Aerchon

The whole Whitney things bugs me.

He was clearly the worst defenseman most the year and not even close to NHL worthy. We lost tight close games primarily because of this jack@@@.

He played decent during the stretch he thought he was gonna get traded and then went right back to being terrible.

If you have to blame only one person it would be Whitney for us missing the playoffs.

And I would bet a solid loonie that the person Whitney mentioned could have been scratched was Justin Shultz. Which has a bit of merrit in the last quarter of the season for Justin's play but makes no sense to bench a rookie in need of experience. Especially with Whitney playing terribad.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:41 AM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
i have zero problem with what ryan whitney said because he was right. he was press boxed for 13-14 games, when he did play he played with the crappest partner he could get and he still had the same amount of points as ryan smyth. his -7 was eclipsed by the schultz's -17/-13. and if im on a hockey team and corey potter is playing significantly more than me then im going to be bitter. Ryan whitney is still a great hockey player and his first pass will be a huge use to a contending team.
You are completely clueless.

Whitney was terrible. Much worse than Potter. You can contact any advanced stat guy and his number are seriously in the bottom 5% of the league.

And Potter was benched many times this year so Whitney is obviously not refering to him primarily. Money is on Shultz or Shultz.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

I would bank on the player Whitney thought should be benched being none other than N Schultz.

Whitney was obviously upset that he was not in top 4 all year and likely that he, as a veteran, wasn't given any chance to play with J Schultz.

Not saying he deserved it but from reports Whitney was pretty much told he'd be in bottom pairing all year which for a player like this removed all intensity.

Who knows if Whitney would have played better or not but I'm scratching my head a bit that a motivational coach would offer no carrot.

Replacement* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Beerfish

Ah yes, we needed a new black hat and we have one. Each year there has to be a chosen Snidely Whiplash for fans to beef about and hate for ever more. The same fans that bellow about just how terrible our front office and coaching staff is get their jimmies rustled when a player dares to make a negative comment (which are usually 100% correct) about our team. At least a few people have picked up on our fraud captains comments and see them for what they are.

I see our situation as being akin to Homer Simpson and his brain speaking to itself (Lisa needs braces! "Dental plan!.....Lisa needs braces! "Dental Plan"! Lisa Needs braces! "Dental Plan"!)

Except it is (Oilers have bad leadership....Horcoff!, Oilers have bad leadership....Horcoff!....Oilers had bad leadership...Horcoff!)

If we have bad leadership......we must get rid of Horcoff!

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines View Post
Lots of venom for Whitney here. Unfortunate as his season ending interview was even keeled and measured and he did not shy from the media and questions being asked of him. Really too bad injury robbed us for what was a promising start as an Oiler.

Whitney embraced being an Oiler, was involved in the community, and had a strong rapport with the kids. Coming from a premier organization like the Ducks and an American, Whitney might have bristled at being moved to Edmonton. He never did and always seemed to be a good guy having fun.

I wish Whitney well and agree with his assessment that a fresh start is needed. But he was a good Oiler teammate and loved playing in Edmonton. Best of luck Whit.
Should be noted as well that a bad rut on Rexall ice was what caused the injury and resultant disastrous turnaround in Whitneys career.

Its gotta be a **** off for any player as well that the mechanism of injury was a damned poor ice surface. Not saying this has much to do with Whitneys overall impression but I'd say it adds to it.

Kind of a gongshow here. Draft the best players in the world and have them play on awful ice and slamming into antiquated boards, and stanchions.

I wonder how much injury on this club is due to playing half its games at Rexall.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:14 AM
Koto

ryan whitney is still up on the side banners on oilers website lol...

someone in IT is failing.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
Ah yes, we needed a new black hat and we have one. Each year there has to be a chosen Snidely Whiplash for fans to beef about and hate for ever more. The same fans that bellow about just how terrible our front office and coaching staff is get their jimmies rustled when a player dares to make a negative comment (which are usually 100% correct) about our team. At least a few people have picked up on our fraud captains comments and see them for what they are.

I see our situation as being akin to Homer Simpson and his brain speaking to itself (Lisa needs braces! "Dental plan!.....Lisa needs braces! "Dental Plan"! Lisa Needs braces! "Dental Plan"!)

Except it is (Oilers have bad leadership....Horcoff!, Oilers have bad leadership....Horcoff!....Oilers had bad leadership...Horcoff!)

If we have bad leadership......we must get rid of Horcoff!
Its hilarious how its always somebody else. Nobody on this club has more input into how bad this club has been for years than Horcoff. I'll note as well that in addition to his futility all over the ice he didn't even manage to be 50% on the dot this year playing weak minutes and often against 3rd line centers. This guy is a ****ing sorry joke. Get his ass out of here.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
ryan whitney is still up on the side banners on oilers website lol...

someone in IT is failing.

So is Ryan Jones.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:21 AM
T-Funk

There's no arguing that Whitney didn't deserve to be scratched multiple times regardless of others maybe needing to be scratched. But you do not see Fistric being all pissy about not playing, and he got royally screwed ever since we picked him up. Peckham also got 4 games the entire season or something and he's not *****ing. It's not fans trying to make Whitney out to be some entitled whiny ass, he IS an entitled whiny ass. No one cared when he was playing well, but follow his twitter to see what kind of person he is.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Replacement*
Checked out

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
There's no arguing that Whitney didn't deserve to be scratched multiple times regardless of others maybe needing to be scratched. But you do not see Fistric being all pissy about not playing, and he got royally screwed ever since we picked him up. Peckham also got 4 games the entire season or something and he's not *****ing. It's not fans trying to make Whitney out to be some entitled whiny ass, he IS an entitled whiny ass.
While on a grumpy day I would agree with this its kind of odd of the org to say to an accomplished veteran that you got bottom pairing assignment this year and thats it.

From Whitneys account anyway doesn't seem there was much to work for if he was in the gulag anyway.

Would've easily led to some cynical thoughts as well watching the Schultzes and Petry struggling out there.

Its one thing to sink a Whitney in bottom pairing, its another to do it on a club with D as weak as ours.

For any guy with pride thats going to sting. You either buy that you suck or you develop a chip on shoulder. Kind of a no win situation.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:33 AM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

Quote:
There's no arguing that Whitney didn't deserve to be scratched multiple times regardless of others maybe needing to be scratched. But you do not see Fistric being all pissy about not playing, and he got royally screwed ever since we picked him up. Peckham also got 4 games the entire season or something and he's not *****ing. It's not fans trying to make Whitney out to be some entitled whiny ass, he IS an entitled whiny ass. No one cared when he was playing well, but follow his twitter to see what kind of person he is.
i dont think whitney was whining at all, he honestly answered a question he was asked, he said he wants to go somewhere that he could play, not sit on the bench in favor of plugs like potter and fristic and nick schultz

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:34 AM
AimsforGenji

Was Whitneys D partner really that bad? I look at Potters stats and he is one of our better D. Granted he has less ice time but he also makes less mistakes by quite a bit. This was before the last 2 games.

AimsforGenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:36 AM
AimsforGenji

Quote:
i dont think whitney was whining at all, he honestly answered a question he was asked, he said he wants to go somewhere that he could play, not sit on the bench in favor of plugs like potter and fristic and nick schultz
I swear I could count about a handful of games we lost due to Whitney's poor defensive plays that cost a goal. It wasn't even like it was easy to miss, they were glaring "WTF are you doing" sort of plays.

AimsforGenji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:37 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
yeah I don't mind athletes being honest and I give him credit for that, but the comments along with him having the A removed doesn't give him a flattering portrait.

I never really saw him, except for maybe a handful of games, where he looked like anything other than a 5-6 d-man, and some games he looked like he couldn't even play in the NHL anymore.

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:37 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Unfortunately for him, it's not going to be any easier on other teams. Imagine how accountable he will be held on Boston lol.

He will be the same **** player no matter where he goes. Pittsburgh fans hated him, Anaheim fans hated him, and now Oilers fans hate him. That's not some huge coincidence.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:57 AM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 11291
bouncing around a few on line morning shows-- a few out of town morning shows brought up Whitney and they were suggesting that "they heard" his comments were aimed at both Petry and Nick Schultz

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:58 AM
frag2

Quote:
Peckham was fat and had mono so he can't complain

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:26 PM
thinlizzy

If anyone would have a right to complain and rant it would be Peckham. The guy didn't sniff the ice this season.

In my opinion, Whitney was given a lot of leeway under Renny to make mistakes etc due to him chipping in offensively. Under Krueger he has been told to change his game and for whatever reason this has landed him up in the press box.

I feel that because Whitney didn't play during the lockout he wasn't in the best shape coming into the short season. That is his fault. The surgery has not been as positive as it should have been and Whitney still thinks he is a top 4 d man. Delusional. He did not address the not coming into camp ready to go at all and just said he had good and bad games expecting to get inserted from past play.

My problem is why didn't management trade him at the deadline. I know we were in the playoff race at that time but if he was playing that inconsistent I don't understand keeping him if he wasn't in the long term future etc. Ball dropped here.

Hemsky's exit interview was interesting . It is as if he knows the team is looking to move him. I get a real complacent vibe of, "whatever " hoe hum attitude. He needs to find another team to get a fresh start as well.

thinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:29 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
If anyone would have a right to complain and rant it would be Peckham. The guy didn't sniff the ice this season.
He came into training camp in terrible shape. The consequence was him not playing.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Digger12
Gold Fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinlizzy View Post
Hemsky's exit interview was interesting . It is as if he knows the team is looking to move him. I get a real complacent vibe of, "whatever " hoe hum attitude. He needs to find another team to get a fresh start as well.
Yeah, he's gone.

When you have someone like Matheson saying outright from his "10 questions" article that Hemsky has played his last game as an Oiler, that is all but the Oilers putting out a press release stating the same.

Digger12 is offline   Reply With Quote