HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 09:18 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Question for those who follow more closely than me, would you take Matteau (from last year) or this year's Mantha?
I'm a big fan of Matteau, but we're not talking about the same kind of prospect. Mantha is favorably comparable to James Neal, not overly physical, but he's a heck of a goal scorer, one of the best in this draft class. Feed him the puck and he'll finish the job.

I know people question his work ethic and his consistency, but this guy is money.

Matteau will most likely not become a 1st liner, so there's that. Not the same value at all.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
One guy nobody ever brings us and who has a nice blend of skill and grit is Boureau-Paquin. He's kind of skinny right now similar to Dauphin but should finish growing at 6' 190-195. I could see us taking him with one of our 3rds.
I agree. LIke I said, tons of games to watch....but I loved his determination and grit he showed so far.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:34 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
Before these two games where he was very good, Baptiste had tough games. But when he is on, he is unstopable. Game to game consistency is still a question mark to me. Laplante wasn't as good as I thought he would be. He didn't showed the great offensive flashes he showed this season with the PEI Rockets. He took some bad penalties. But he was fast, gritty and very good defensively. He was one of the few PEI players who didn't chock in the playoff. He will be the next PEI captain imo.

I'm sold on Dillon Heatherington. He has everything. He is so smart. He is big and physical. He is a good skater and a good passer. I don't see how he can't be a NHLer.
I thought Laplante was creative offensively and had a good tournament(I have yet to see the final though).

Old
04-28-2013, 09:37 PM
QuebecPride
@Etienne_Pouliot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
As of now....I'm stuck. I want to keep the rights to NOT make a comment at this time.... Still have tons of PVR games to watch, archives games on the net etc. My mind tells me to go with the big guy, who will be a force defensively, who is smart and so on....but my "other" mind tells me that Dauphin will end up a bigger scorer and more offensive minded player.

Then comes Emile Poirier and I'm most definately all screwed up.

Actually this year....I hope other teams, NOT NAMED THE BRUINS OR LEAFS, will end up picking guys I want for our team so it makes our choice easier....But we all know that those 2 freakin teams, mostly the Bruins, will end up picking our guy. You see Gauthier, and you are most definately sure he's going to end up being a Bruins. I mean, not only Bruins are good at drafting but somehow, you feel they like trolling at the same time. That's one reason why I didn't want the Sens to win tonight....
To me it's a no-brainer, Gauthier a mile before Dauphin.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
I'm a big fan of Matteau, but we're not talking about the same kind of prospect. Mantha is favorably comparable to James Neal, not overly physical, but he's a heck of a goal scorer, one of the best in this draft class. Feed him the puck and he'll finish the job.

I know people question his work ethic and his consistency, but this guy is money.

Matteau will most likely not become a 1st liner, so there's that. Not the same value at all.
I'm not sold matteau will be a 2nd liner either. He wasn't exactly ripping it up in the Q at 18.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:48 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Let the Bruins pick Gauthier...their clear need is for a defence prospect anyway.

Plus they may not even have their first, it's gone if they make the ECF.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:05 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
To me it's a no-brainer, Gauthier a mile before Dauphin.
There's still some growth in Dauphin...don't underestimate him. Unless it means you are really high on Gauthier, for which I won't blame you.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Let the Bruins pick Gauthier...their clear need is for a defence prospect anyway.

Plus they may not even have their first, it's gone if they make the ECF.
Choose your poison....a big and great player in the 1st round for the Bruins....or a ECF. I'll choose the ECF...but only if they get crush reaching it and lose in 4.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:13 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Choose your poison....a big and great player in the 1st round for the Bruins....or a ECF. I'll choose the ECF...but only if they get crush reaching it and lose in 4.
I'd rather the Bruins lose in the 1st round. Don't really care about them getting Gauthier at all. About as much as I care about them having Caron.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
I'd rather the Bruins lose in the 1st round. Don't really care about them getting Gauthier at all. About as much as I care about them having Caron.
Well I wasn't THAT high on Caron. So I didn't mind it at the time. Bruins are pretty solid prospect wise. There ****ing goalie depth annoys me a whole lot. One day, they will be able to trade that depth for some more prospects. Spooner might be their new Savard. Bartkowski might be able to make up for the losses on D's. Hamilton will not be worst. Honestly, I wouldn't mind seeing them lose too. 'Cause I hope it would mean panic for them and they'd fire Julien, who again, as I keep saying, is PERFECT for them. But they could panic and then go a different route and se their luck turn around.

Old
04-28-2013, 11:20 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
There's still some growth in Dauphin...don't underestimate him. Unless it means you are really high on Gauthier, for which I won't blame you.
Yep, It's closer than people think, but I'd pick Gauthier even though I am really not high at all on him.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Gauthier has a lot more upside than Caron.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:25 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Gauthier has a lot more upside than Caron.
Upside is never a guarantee to be reached. Gauthier is not a prospect who threatens me.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:59 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Upside is never a guarantee to be reached. Gauthier is not a prospect who threatens me.
I bet Fyodor Gotierinov wets your panties though

Old
04-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Hahaha

Old
04-29-2013, 10:20 AM
ClasslessGuy

Valentin Zykov... Someone saw him play in a couple of game?

Watched him closely in the last series againt BBB and he was the type of player we need.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post

Watched him closely in the last series againt BBB and he was the type of player we need.
Yes, big big big fan of Zykov! I prefer him to Mantha because he's more physical and the goal scoring tools are similar.

Will be interesting to see Zykov against the Mooseheads.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:27 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Yes, big big big fan of Zykov! I prefer him to Mantha because he's more physical and the goal scoring tools are similar.

Will be interesting to see Zykov against the Mooseheads.
With those kinds of stats he should be in the 10-15 range but he's a low 20 in every predictions. Hope we could grab him

Old
04-29-2013, 10:32 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post

He will go in the early teens sadly...

Old
04-29-2013, 10:34 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

Watching the highlights from last night and he was impressive again, dangling like a boss, going to the net and then a big shot on the 4th goal.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Watching the highlights from last night and he was impressive again, dangling like a boss, going to the net and then a big shot on the 4th goal.
He has that kind of skillset where you can't really see him be anything less than a 2nd liner. Physical, Strong, Fast, Soft hands, Great shot...

Old
04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
WeThreeKings

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
Only if he's drafted in the 4-5th round man, c'mon!!

Old
04-29-2013, 11:24 AM
gillyguzzler

Every year, there's some backlash when the Habs don't draft enough (or any) Q players. The Habs are usually right in not going the homegrown route. This year, however, they would be well served in looking in their back yard as the talent is finally there. I've been fortunate to watch many Q games this year.... I like what I see.

First round

Gauthier or Mantha - both will likely be gone by the time the Habs pick but if, by chance, one of the two slips, either one would be a tremendous first round pick for the Habs.

Second round

Carrier is a bit all over the place in the rankings because of his injury. I'm not sure I'd take him with one of our first two second round picks but definately with our third second round pick.

If Fucale is still there early in the second (unlikely), he would be a great early second round pick for us - he's a tremendous young goalie.

Others that I'd consider with one of our early second round picks are Dauphin, Erne, Zykov and Morin. Morin's a bit of a wild card but I've been impressed with him every time I've seen him. Erne is not my favourite player but I recognize his talent. I'm not 100% sold on Dauphin but would love him with our 3rd pick in the second round if he slips. He was impressive in the finals yesterday.

These players may not be available in the third round so they should be considered for our third second round pick. Emile Poirier has talent and speed. On a bad Gatineau team, he stood out, especially in the second round against Halifax. I'd be OK with Sorensen if he's still there. Two wild cards are Diaby and Duclair. I don't really like either of them. Diaby's skills are poor but he's huge and Duclair is over rated in my opinion. I'd prefer Kostalek, Laplante or even Desrosiers in the third round. All have solid upside.

In later rounds, I'd certainly look at Gregoire and Etchagry, maybe Murphy for Halifax.

There are others. I'm not at all saying the Habs should draft all Q players but, for the first time in a long time, there's lots of talent available - moreso than the OHL for sure.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
Every year, there's some backlash when the Habs don't draft enough (or any) Q players. The Habs are usually right in not going the homegrown route. This year, however, they would be well served in looking in their back yard as the talent is finally there. I've been fortunate to watch many Q games this year.... I like what I see.

First round

Gauthier or Mantha - both will likely be gone by the time the Habs pick but if, by chance, one of the two slips, either one would be a tremendous first round pick for the Habs.

Second round

Carrier is a bit all over the place in the rankings because of his injury. I'm not sure I'd take him with one of our first two second round picks but definately with our third second round pick.

If Fucale is still there early in the second (unlikely), he would be a great early second round pick for us - he's a tremendous young goalie.

Others that I'd consider with one of our early second round picks are Dauphin, Erne, Zykov and Morin. Morin's a bit of a wild card but I've been impressed with him every time I've seen him. Erne is not my favourite player but I recognize his talent. I'm not 100% sold on Dauphin but would love him with our 3rd pick in the second round if he slips. He was impressive in the finals yesterday.

These players may not be available in the third round so they should be considered for our third second round pick. Emile Poirier has talent and speed. On a bad Gatineau team, he stood out, especially in the second round against Halifax. I'd be OK with Sorensen if he's still there. Two wild cards are Diaby and Duclair. I don't really like either of them. Diaby's skills are poor but he's huge and Duclair is over rated in my opinion. I'd prefer Kostalek, Laplante or even Desrosiers in the third round. All have solid upside.

In later rounds, I'd certainly look at Gregoire and Etchagry, maybe Murphy for Halifax.

There are others. I'm not at all saying the Habs should draft all Q players but, for the first time in a long time, there's lots of talent available - moreso than the OHL for sure.
There are others for sure as we already mentioned, but when my list is done, it will s urely have more Q players than any other year before. And just for the fun of it, I'm absolutely sure that you could have a draft filled only with Q players. It would be easy to do so this year. You could even add an Andrighetto in the mix of players who were undrafted before as a candidate to be drafted this year for sure.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:57 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post

First round

Second round

Zykov won't be available in the second round and you forgot Poirier from gatineau

Closed Thread