HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Northeast Champions!! Bring on the Sens!!

Old
04-29-2013, 10:36 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
I know Spezza is out for the first round, who else for the senators?

Philipps is goot to go? Michalek?
Michalek is fine, played last night. No update on Phillips from what I can tell on twitter.

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:38 AM
Jerk Store
Classless

vCash: 500
I'll stay away from here for the next couple of weeks, but just wanted to wish you all good luck, hoping for a good series!

Cheers!

Jerk Store is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Tyson

Habs are in for a tough series. I believe Ottawa should be favored. Goaltending and D wins playoff hockey, two areas where Ottawa is superior. I always believed that Carey Price had the potential to be a great goalie, a franchise type. Well after 300 plus games, he still has not shown that level of play. I am not sure he is the long term answer in Montreal. Please prove me wrong.

Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:42 AM
jpchabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
Habs are in for a tough series. I believe Ottawa should be favored. Goaltending and D wins playoff hockey, two areas where Ottawa is superior. I always believed that Carey Price had the potential to be a great goalie, a franchise type. Well after 300 plus games, he still has not shown that level of play. I am not sure he is the long term answer in Montreal.
Not so sure Ottawa's D is definitely better than ours. After 35 games this year, what did we think of our D?

I think we're gonna win this one. It's gonna be hard, especially if Anderson is as good as he's been all season (when he played of course). I think habs in 6.

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Habs are in for a tough series. I believe Ottawa should be favored. Goaltending and D wins playoff hockey, two areas where Ottawa is superior. I always believed that Carey Price had the potential to be a great goalie, a franchise type. Well after 300 plus games, he still has not shown that level of play. I am not sure he is the long term answer in Montreal. Please prove me wrong.
You think Anderson has shown more than Price ? Price is the better goalies no matter how you put it Anderson got the Halak treatment... No real dangerous shots

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Et le But

For once we have an advantage when it comes to offense, and a disadvatage when it comes to defense. We need to keep possession as much as possible in this series, and take advantage of the fact that we have the better centers.

Key matchups:
Zibanejad vs Eller - Spezza being out is huge, it means the Plekanec line can contain Turris and hopefully Eller can match Zibanejad. Winning this matchup is huge, if we can contain their depth scoring, the only significant offensive threats will be Alfie (Habs killer) and Karlsson.

Alfredsson who loves scoring against the Habs vs the Habs defense that loves giving up great scoring opportunities - Please, just keep Boullion off the ice as much as possible.

Anderson vs Price - Anderson is coming off the much better season, to say the least. I think some of you overrate the Sens goalies based on how good their defense has been this year, but the reality is Anderson, when healthy, has been consistently good, and Price...not so much. We need to crack Anderson as soon as possible, or this will be a short series and not in our favor.

Karlsson vs Desharnais:

Neil vs Everyone

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You think Anderson has shown more than Price ? Price is the better goalies no matter how you put it Anderson got the Halak treatment... No real dangerous shots
Easily Anderson has been lights out over Price. This is make or break for Carey. Habs have home ice advantage potentially for the first two rounds. He cannot lose this series to Ottawa and still be the Habs future goalie. After 300+ games, time to play to the potential many have talked about.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Easily Anderson has been lights out over Price. This is make or break for Carey. Habs have home ice advantage potentially for the first two rounds. He cannot lose this series to Ottawa and still be the Habs future goalie. After 300+ games, time to play to the potential many have talked about.
If it's "break", who exactly is replacing Price next year? Theodore?

Old
04-29-2013, 11:02 AM
TeamRenzo

Congrats on winning the division, looking forward to an epic first series between the Sens and Habs!!

TeamRenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
FlyingKostitsyn

Has anyone considered Price might have had a minor injury at the end of the season? Maybe thats why they rested him the last game.

They wouldn't reveal an injury to their goaltender this late in the season knowing they would be going in the playoffs. Does that make sense?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But
Thats a major problem of trading Price, we have no goalie depth and no1 goalies don't grow on trees, contrary to popular opinion.

If Price craps this series, and I really doubt he does, then perhaps Bergevin begins to consider he's not our future goalie but hopefully he won't be impatient. Replacing him properly is a process that could take a year or two, doing it purely as a reaction to a bad series probably means we get screwed in a trade. These trades rarely if ever favor the team trading the disgraced guy and in fact led to some of the most lopsided trades in history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRenzo
Congrats on winning the division, looking forward to an epic first series between the Sens and Habs!!
Karlsson sucks

I'm kidding This is going to be a great series, cheers!

Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 04-29-2013 at 11:09 AM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Budaj?

pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:05 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
enough said. No real dangerous shots.

Yeah the Habs were a real defensive machine back in 2010.

You can be pro-Price without making yourself look crazy.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:

Good plan. TOKARSKI all the way!

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
Options league wide may be limited, but you may see a goalie being drafted this year.

Too early for this talk though. I see a defensive series coming that has the potential to lift Carey's damaged confidence. Fingers crossed.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:15 AM
bhuya71

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Has anyone considered Price might have had a minor injury at the end of the season? Maybe thats why they rested him the last game.

They wouldn't reveal an injury to their goaltender this late in the season knowing they would be going in the playoffs. Does that make sense?
I do think the time off will help the team big time for a few reasons:

1. LOTS OF practice (for defense, Price, and team)
2. Details and prep time for the coaches
3. Price and others get to heal
4. Players get to rejuvenate so they can continue playing this demanding style of hockey

bhuya71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:16 AM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Good plan. TOKARSKI all the way!

I am a huge Price fan but he has to deliver the goods in this series. We have seen flashes of superstardom for several years but this year he has been very average. Of the the 16 starting goalies in the playoffs right now, Price is near the bottom in my books. Time to **** or get off the pot. He was drafted fifth overall 8 years ago. Time to step up.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:18 AM
pine

Quote:
I am a huge Price fan but he has to deliver the goods in this series. We have seen flashes of superstardom for several years but this year he has been very average. Of the the 16 starting goalies in the playoffs right now, Price is near the bottom in my books. Time to **** or get off the pot. He was drafted fifth overall 8 years ago. Time to step up.
Say we buy out Price, who is your backup plan?

Old
04-29-2013, 11:19 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
He's 25. I agree he needs to win in the playoffs, but let's not be over dramatic. Hell, Tim Thomas only entered the league at what....31?

I'm not about to set an arbitrary date for him to "have to win" or else we dump him, it makes no sense. Especially since we have absolutely no one to take over if we do trade Price.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:24 AM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by pine View Post
Say we buy out Price, who is your backup plan?
I am not a GM, just a huge fan who follows the team closely. All I am saying is that it is time to step up. I pray he does. He is key.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:26 AM
Tyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
He's 25. I agree he needs to win in the playoffs, but let's not be over dramatic. Hell, Tim Thomas only entered the league at what....31?

I'm not about to set an arbitrary date for him to "have to win" or else we dump him, it makes no sense. Especially since we have absolutely no one to take over if we do trade Price.
How many years are you willing to wait? He has to start showing the results. That is all I am saying. His 2013 numbers tells me he has regressed.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:27 AM
pine

Quote:
How many years are you willing to wait? He has to start showing the results. That is all I am saying. His 2013 numbers tells me he has regressed.
Jonathan Quick and Pekka Rinne also regressed, right... right?

Old
04-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Habtchum*

2010-2011 SENATORS 18 11 5 - 1 2 36 589 .939 2.05
2011-2012 SENATORS 63 33 22 - 6 3 165 1,917 .914 2.84
2012-2013 SENATORS 24 12 9 - 2 3 40 677 .941 1.69

These are Anderson's stats since he joined the Sens at the trade deadline in 2011. If he would not had been injured this year, he would had been the Vezina winner.

Price better wake up and smell the coffee.

Those games gonna be very tight and low scoring. The goalies will make the difference.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

Quote:
With goalies, you have to be patient. Giving up on a 25 year old would be very short sighted, to say the least.

It's just impatience.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:39 AM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Options league wide may be limited, but you may see a goalie being drafted this year.

Too early for this talk though. I see a defensive series coming that has the potential to lift Carey's damaged confidence. Fingers crossed.
Agreed, but we should consider drafting a goalie this year no matter what Price does in the playoffs.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:41 AM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Sorry folks but Price is NOT a better goalie than Anderson. At least not this year

Anderson on his game was better than Price on his game for pretty much the whole season. Just look at the stats , they don't lie on this one. I'm not saying Anderson won't crap the bed or that Price won't rebound but as of now i give the goalie edge to the Sens.

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote