HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

NYI - Montreal : Draft picks

Old
04-29-2013, 11:34 AM
boredmale

vCash: 500
As it stands now Islanders pick 15th and Montreal had the 4th best record(which means their is a small chance they pick as low as 23(which would mean Pitt, Mon, Ana and Chic all don't make the semifinals) but depending who makes the Semifinals they could pick anywhere between 23-30)

Montreal is now at a point no matter where they finish I would want Nashville or Calgary's pick to exchange firsts

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Habsrback

Bergevin won't get caught overpaying to make a splash, which is what it would take to move up to Drouin, who is still a prospect. However, one player that the Habs might trade up and realistically have chances to do so is Anthony Mantha, a 6'4" RW that scored 50 goals in 67 games and is presently ranked 10th amongst NA skaters, which means that he should go in the 15-20 range. It is realistic to think that they can move up from the 27th by adding either a player or a 2nd.

Lookout if he is still available come the 14-15th pick.

Last edited by Habsrback: 04-30-2013 at 12:45 AM. Reason: Typo
Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:56 AM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
As it stands now Islanders pick 15th and Montreal had the 4th best record(which means their is a small chance they pick as low as 23(which would mean Pitt, Mon, Ana and Chic all don't make the semifinals) but depending who makes the Semifinals they could pick anywhere between 23-30)

Montreal is now at a point no matter where they finish I would want Nashville or Calgary's pick to exchange firsts
If Pittsburgh and Chicago reach the semis and 2 non division winners also make it then Montreal would draft 25th.

Nashvile's pick would be what is required to move from 25 to 15.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:04 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
The Islanders don't have a 2nd rounder Montreal has 3.

Currently the Islanders sit at 18th, Montreal at 24th

Assuming neither teams makes the ECF or Montreal doesn't win division simple deal

NYI
1st

MON
1st
2nd

If Montreal Wins Division but not ECF

NYI
1st
4th

MON
1st
Calgary 2nd

Montreal makes ECF
NYI
1st

MON
1st
Calgary 2nd
Don't know how excited Montreal would be about doing this, but I can surely imagine the Isles being open to it.

And whether or not MON has a history of moving, certainly many teams do and when a club has a 2 or more 2nds, it often takes place.

At the end of the day, the Isles are very likely to be picking 15th. I don't know how far back Montreal will be picking, but the price of moving up 7-9 picks is usually an added second rounder.

It would then all depend on how desperate MON would be for a certain kid available at 15 - and honestly I can see a few real good desirables being there as well as a possible dropper like Nichushkin. Surely, there are a couple of other teams who'd possibly be looking to move up.

I can see this draft as being one where the Isles would be willing to drop down. As can be said about many drafts, there's a real big open field of players after the first few and teams will go with what they like, one way or the other.

Alone at the U18 I saw a number of boys who teams could 'fall in love with' and who'll likely move up a bit based on their tournament performance. I'm sure the end stage of the CHL playoffs is seeing guys rise and drop at the moment as well.

In other words, there's surely good reason for the Islanders to be willing and confident in dropping back from 15. Heck, if their eyes are set on a guy they think most teams have somewhere between 30-50, then they might even be willing to drop back several times, especially in light of the number of guys who they have or will need to be signing.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:07 AM
blinkman360
Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie Daggers Crime View Post
This is why these type of deals are draft day decisions based who has and who hasn't been drafted. If you're NYI at 18 and you LOVE Timmins, are you gonna wait until 18 and hope he gets to you, or do you see him still available at 14 and make a deal to move up? Does the team at 14 know that their favorite player will be available at 18? That's what these deals are based on, not "higher is better" fan stuff.
I get your point and agree with it in this case, but Timmins is a part of Montreal's front office, not a draft eligible prospect.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Richie Daggers Crime
Fistie Daggers Crime

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I get your point and agree with it in this case, but Timmins is a part of Montreal's front office, not a draft eligible prospect.
Oh, oops. I was keying off the other guys post and got my brain mixed up.

Richie Daggers Crime is offline   Reply With Quote