HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs' off-season moves (all trades, proposals & free agent talk here)

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 01:39 AM
Habitant le colon

vCash: 500
Let's trade : Bourque, Leblanc and Calgary 2nd for Radim Vrbata, Chris Brown and a 3rd 2013

Vrbata - Plekanec - Gionta
(6f01 190lbs) - (5f11 196lbs) - (5f07 174lbs)
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
(6f01 196lbs) - (6f02 209lbs) - (5f08 174lbs)
Prust - Desharnais - Pacioretty
(6f02 195lbs) - (5f07 177lbs) - (6f02 219lbs)
Moen - Dumont ????????
(6f02 218lbs) - (5f09 170lbs) - ()

Shall we resign Armstrong or try another 4th liner?

Subban - Gorges
(6f00 216lbs) - (6f01 203lbs)
Markov - Emelin
(6f00 204lbs) - (6f02 219lbs)
Tinordi - Bouillon
(6f06 205lbs) - (5f08 197lbs)
Diaz - ????????
(5f11 197lbs) - ()

Do we need a number 8 d-man as a back up plan ?

Old
04-29-2013, 07:19 AM
Draft

To be honest, I think that Montreal is going to make minor moves that will either contribute as a piece of the future or as a stopgap until our prospects are ready for the NHL. Based off of this year's deadline, I don't think there's much reason to believe that Bergevin will be moving big pieces to compete now. The team is still very much in transition, slowly moving from Markov/Gionta/Plekanec/Bourque/Bouillon to the middle core of players, Pacioretty/Desharnais/Eller/Subban/Emelin/Diaz/Gorges. We have a new set of players coming into their prime years and an old group being moved out.

When we look at acquiring pieces, we should be looking at where and how they will contribute in our top-9/top-4 alongside our future group of forwards/defenseman. For this roster I'll include Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Tinordi/Beaulieu (Our younger core players, all of which look to be NHL players in a top-9/top-6 spot).

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
XXXXX-Eller-XXXXX
XXXXX-Desharnais-XXXX

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Diaz
Tinordi-Beaulieu

As we can see here, our defence is quite set for the future. Gorges may not be an ideal #2 but Beaulieu or Tinordi both seem capable of potentially filling that role as time goes by. We stick with the PMD and DDman configuration on each pairing as well as a physical element to each pairing. All could potentially be top-4 defenceman.

What the team lacks are wingers, especially left-wingers. We have Kristo, Collberg and Leblanc slotted as RWs in the system, only Timothy Bozon and Charles Hudon as potential LW candidates. Both Bozon and Hudon seem like good players but are not upper class, sure-fire prospects like Collberg and Kristo seem to be (Though I am a huge fan of both).

In regards to our issues with size, one of the biggest differences between our current and future roster is size down the middle. Instead of the smaller Desharnais and Plekanec we will likely have the comparatively large and strong Galchenyuk-Eller. This should make a huge difference in our lineup as both are capable and do play with some physicality, something that was missing with Plekanec-Desharnais who play with little to no physicality. In addition, Gallagher plays with an edge that makes him difficult to play against, something we haven't seen out of Gionta lately.

Are there potential UFAs/RFAs with size, speed and skill? Absolutely. Here are my favourites to fit into a top-6 role in the future:
Chris Stewart (RFA)
Magnus Paajarvi (RFA)
Blake Wheeler (RFA)
Nathan Horton
Patric Hornqvist (RFA)

Paajarvi has been rumoured to be available for quite some time and St. Louis may have difficulties to re-sign Stewart with big contracts being owed to Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo as well as having a self-imposed cap. Unlikely for Palmieri/Wheeler/Stewart to be available without a big piece being moved. All of these players would need to be traded for apart from Horton.

Top-9/3rd line roles that could be filled by UFAs/RFAs:
Viktor Staalberg
Bryan Bickell
Jordan Caron (RFA)
Cal Clutterbuck (RFA)

I didn't list Clarkson and Clowe here for several reasons. Both are 3rd liners. This is a fact that people often seem to miss out on. Absolutely, they are good players but, they can't fill the offensive role of a top-6 player. Their calling card is their physicality but they can't fill an enforcers role (which people seem to expect of them). They would be great guys to have on your team but in no way are they the solution to our troubles. How likely are we to sign both of them? We have just about no chance, unlikely even that Clarkson is not re-signed in New Jersey if he's the real deal. They are 29 and 30 years old. They will both be looking for contracts at around 4-4.5mil x 5/6yrs. Physical players often "age" quicker in the NHL because of the style of game they play. So in three years when our team is competing, will they be relevant? My guess is no, look at Moen. He got signed to his big contract because of his physical play. Clarkson and Clowe don't have the offensive ability to keep them going when their physical play is gone.

It will be much easier to sign a player for our top-9 (Bickell/Stalberg etc.). To get another player for our core we may have to look at a trade. My ideal candidate for the future top-6 is Paajarvi because of his size, skill, defensive ability, cost and potential. For the top-9, Stalberg because of his age, size, speed, and offensive ability.

Bourque + Moen for Paajarvi

Stalberg signed @ 3.3 over 5 years.

Future core forwards excluding prospects:

Pacioretty(24)-Galchenyuk(19)-Gallagher(20)
Paajarvi(22)-Eller(23)-XXXXX
Stalberg(27)-Desharnais(26)-XXXXX

None of Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Paajarvi, Eller or Stalberg are soft players. They all bring some sort of strong, two-way play to the table as well as skill. Let the enforcers do the enforcing and let the role players play their roles, the team would very difficult to play against. I think that this team could be quite successful in the future. Thoughts?

Old
04-29-2013, 07:20 AM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant le colon View Post
Let's trade : Bourque, Leblanc and Calgary 2nd for Radim Vrbata, Chris Brown and a 3rd 2013
Finally, someone to knock out that girl Marchand

Old
04-29-2013, 07:38 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Moen - Dumont ????????

Subban - Gorges
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Bouillon
Diaz - ????????
(5f11 197lbs) - ()

Why trade assets for Vrbata when we can just re-sign Ryder?

Bourque is a guy we should keep, he brings size and skill and has a pretty small cap hit compared to what it would cost to replace him with a UFA.

Diaz is definitely not #7, at this point he is #4.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:46 AM
otto bond

Come Summer time, I'm not sure we will resigned Ryder for one. Buying out Kaberle seems to be what will happen. An other guy who could be moved is Moen....depending what PO he has although he played ok vs TO to finnish the season. Weber should be moved and more likely for a draft pick. DD will have to play much better come PO.
I say depending what happens during the PO, this team will look alot alike come October.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:25 AM
HabsGER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerky View Post
Plus he could turn the other team into stone, just by looking at them. Might be expensive though, as every team could use a guy like that.

http://marvel.com/universe/Gorgon_%28Tomi_Shishido%29
Got me!

Old
04-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
I like this but we could get someone other than Raymond as we will have cap space if we can trade over 10 million above and buyout Kabs.
Raymond is one of the fastest skaters in the league plus could score 25 goals and may want a fresh start

Old
04-29-2013, 10:16 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Hate him in Boston, but I wouldn't mind Nathan Horton in the Habs' CH.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Horton's lazy as hell, play when he wants to, pass.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:02 AM
Et le But

Quote:
At least there will be a solution next time a Rihanna concert causes a schedule conflict.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:22 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Way too risky of a signing. Guy has been way too injured in the last 3 years I'd pass

Old
04-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Ginu

Quote:

Moen - Dumont ????????

Subban - Gorges
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Bouillon
Diaz - ????????
(5f11 197lbs) - ()

At least we'll have somebody who can hit.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:17 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
To be honest, I think that Montreal is going to make minor moves that will either contribute as a piece of the future or as a stopgap until our prospects are ready for the NHL. Based off of this year's deadline, I don't think there's much reason to believe that Bergevin will be moving big pieces to compete now. The team is still very much in transition, slowly moving from Markov/Gionta/Plekanec/Bourque/Bouillon to the middle core of players, Pacioretty/Desharnais/Eller/Subban/Emelin/Diaz/Gorges. We have a new set of players coming into their prime years and an old group being moved out.

When we look at acquiring pieces, we should be looking at where and how they will contribute in our top-9/top-4 alongside our future group of forwards/defenseman. For this roster I'll include Galchenyuk/Gallagher/Tinordi/Beaulieu (Our younger core players, all of which look to be NHL players in a top-9/top-6 spot).

Pacioretty-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
XXXXX-Eller-XXXXX
XXXXX-Desharnais-XXXX

Subban-Gorges
Emelin-Diaz
Tinordi-Beaulieu

As we can see here, our defence is quite set for the future. Gorges may not be an ideal #2 but Beaulieu or Tinordi both seem capable of potentially filling that role as time goes by. We stick with the PMD and DDman configuration on each pairing as well as a physical element to each pairing. All could potentially be top-4 defenceman.

What the team lacks are wingers, especially left-wingers. We have Kristo, Collberg and Leblanc slotted as RWs in the system, only Timothy Bozon and Charles Hudon as potential LW candidates. Both Bozon and Hudon seem like good players but are not upper class, sure-fire prospects like Collberg and Kristo seem to be (Though I am a huge fan of both).

In regards to our issues with size, one of the biggest differences between our current and future roster is size down the middle. Instead of the smaller Desharnais and Plekanec we will likely have the comparatively large and strong Galchenyuk-Eller. This should make a huge difference in our lineup as both are capable and do play with some physicality, something that was missing with Plekanec-Desharnais who play with little to no physicality. In addition, Gallagher plays with an edge that makes him difficult to play against, something we haven't seen out of Gionta lately.

Are there potential UFAs/RFAs with size, speed and skill? Absolutely. Here are my favourites to fit into a top-6 role in the future:
Chris Stewart (RFA)
Magnus Paajarvi (RFA)
Blake Wheeler (RFA)
Nathan Horton
Patric Hornqvist (RFA)

Paajarvi has been rumoured to be available for quite some time and St. Louis may have difficulties to re-sign Stewart with big contracts being owed to Shattenkirk and Pietrangelo as well as having a self-imposed cap. Unlikely for Palmieri/Wheeler/Stewart to be available without a big piece being moved. All of these players would need to be traded for apart from Horton.

Viktor Staalberg
Bryan Bickell
Jordan Caron (RFA)
Cal Clutterbuck (RFA)

I didn't list Clarkson and Clowe here for several reasons. Both are 3rd liners. This is a fact that people often seem to miss out on. Absolutely, they are good players but, they can't fill the offensive role of a top-6 player. Their calling card is their physicality but they can't fill an enforcers role (which people seem to expect of them). They would be great guys to have on your team but in no way are they the solution to our troubles. How likely are we to sign both of them? We have just about no chance, unlikely even that Clarkson is not re-signed in New Jersey if he's the real deal. They are 29 and 30 years old. They will both be looking for contracts at around 4-4.5mil x 5/6yrs. Physical players often "age" quicker in the NHL because of the style of game they play. So in three years when our team is competing, will they be relevant? My guess is no, look at Moen. He got signed to his big contract because of his physical play. Clarkson and Clowe don't have the offensive ability to keep them going when their physical play is gone.

It will be much easier to sign a player for our top-9 (Bickell/Stalberg etc.). To get another player for our core we may have to look at a trade. My ideal candidate for the future top-6 is Paajarvi because of his size, skill, defensive ability, cost and potential. For the top-9, Stalberg because of his age, size, speed, and offensive ability.

Bourque + Moen for Paajarvi

Stalberg signed @ 3.3 over 5 years.

Future core forwards excluding prospects:

Pacioretty(24)-Galchenyuk(19)-Gallagher(20)
Paajarvi(22)-Eller(23)-XXXXX
Stalberg(27)-Desharnais(26)-XXXXX

None of Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Paajarvi, Eller or Stalberg are soft players. They all bring some sort of strong, two-way play to the table as well as skill. Let the enforcers do the enforcing and let the role players play their roles, the team would very difficult to play against. I think that this team could be quite successful in the future. Thoughts?
A lot of people won't like it but I don't consider Desharnais a core piece in our youth. He's already 26. I see him more as a stop gap until our younger players are ready. He'll be here for four years, I believe Pleks will be here for at least 3. You might as well replace DD for Pleks in your discussion. Pleks hasn't shown his age. Markov and Gionta have, for example.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Habtchum*

What is the obsession with Stalberg ?

Better keep our assets and sign a UFA next July. Ryder will be gone. A guy like Bryan Bickell is way more important than Stalberg and can play on our third line with DD and Bourque, for example, Or Eller and Galchenyuk.

Bergevin knows Bickell very well.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
A lot of people won't like it but I don't consider Desharnais a core piece in our youth. He's already 26. I see him more as a stop gap until our younger players are ready. He'll be here for four years, I believe Pleks will be here for at least 3. You might as well replace DD for Pleks in your discussion. Pleks hasn't shown his age. Markov and Gionta have, for example.
I don't think many people would object with you about Desharnais I did it purely based on age. If it were up to me we'd be trading Desharnais for picks or prospects and playing Galchenyuk at centre next year.

Who likes:

Desharnais + MTL 2nd + Moen/White

to CGY for

1st (STL/PIT)

or to CBJ for

1st (NYR/LAK)

They're in need of players with offensive abilities in Calgary and Columbus, pretty sure any top-9 roster player would be welcome.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post

Better keep our assets and sign a UFA next July. Ryder will be gone. A guy like Bryan Bickell is way more important than Stalberg and can play on our third line with DD and Bourque, for example, Or Eller and Galchenyuk.

Bergevin knows Bickell very well.
I don't really understand what you mean....

First off, Stalberg is a UFA, there are no assets being moved. Secondly, Bickell and Stalberg are very similar players and Stalberg would be signed for our 3rd line as well. For me, the biggest difference between the two is Stalberg's speed. He fits in very well with our current (successful) strategy in addition to bringing size and a gritty game. Stalberg, often on the same line as Bickell, plays with Chicago and Bergevin knows him just as well as Bickell.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:46 PM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Viktor Staalberg
Bryan Bickell
Jordan Caron (RFA)
Cal Clutterbuck (RFA)
The only one I would love to have is Clutterbuck. I'm a big Clutterbuck fan. He can hit like a mac truck!

Old
04-29-2013, 01:49 PM
HCH

Quote:

Better keep our assets and sign a UFA next July. .
Ummmm... Stalberg is a UFA next July. We wouldn't have to trade any assets.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:44 PM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
Why trade assets for Vrbata when we can just re-sign Ryder?

Bourque is a guy we should keep, he brings size and skill and has a pretty small cap hit compared to what it would cost to replace him with a UFA.

Diaz is definitely not #7, at this point he is #4.
Vrbata seem to be a little upgrade over Ryder and freeing Bourque will leave a spot for a rookie. I think that Holland or Colberg can have their chance. And i never sais that Diaz was a number 7 but i see those pairing and Diaz as an extra wich is good for our team

Chris Brown is a young powerfoward not Rihanna's boyfriend by the way folks!!

Old
05-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Habitant le colon

sticky?

Old
05-03-2013, 06:34 PM
Draft

I want Clutterbuck. Him and Prust on the 3rd/4th line.... that's nice.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:49 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Ummmm... Stalberg is a UFA next July. We wouldn't have to trade any assets.
Bryan Bickell is a better option for the Habs.

Old
05-03-2013, 06:51 PM
Draft

Quote:
Bryan Bickell is a better option for the Habs.
Do you know anything about him or did you just notice he's 6'4 220lbs?

Old
05-03-2013, 08:00 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Do you know anything about him or did you just notice he's 6'4 220lbs?
this of course, plus the fact that is a very reliable 3rd liner who can be good defensively and chip in offensively too. The guy can hit but doesn't take stupid penalties. Anyway, Bergevin knows him better than you and me. The guy is just 27.

Old
05-03-2013, 08:12 PM
Draft

Quote:
this of course, plus the fact that is a very reliable 3rd liner who can be good defensively and chip in offensively too. The guy can hit but doesn't take stupid penalties. Anyway, Bergevin knows him better than you and me. The guy is just 27.
If that's all you know about Bickell.... why do you think he's a much better option than Stalberg?

Viktor Stalberg 6'03 210lbs Age: 27
Very reliable third liner with the offensive abilities to fit into a top 6 role in a pinch. Plays well defensively and in a checking role. Not known for taking stupid penalties. Doesn't fight but is tough enough to stand on his own. Incredibly fast.

The biggest difference is speed and offensive ability. Stalberg is above average speed-wise and Bickell is average bordering on below-average IMO. Stalberg's speed fits into our system better than Bickell's slow, defensive play. Bickell isn't as big of a deal as his stats propose, had a breakout year. He can't be put in a top-6 role without some changes.

I'd be happy with either one or both of them. Can't go too wrong, both are really what we're looking for this offseason. If we don't resign Ryder we need someone as a plan B in case of injuries in our top-6.

Closed Thread