HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Neuvirth signed to a two-year, $5M extension ($2.5M per)

Old
04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
fishman has always seemed to have a pretty good handle on the salary cap. this move doesnt bother me.

luongo has a 12 year/$64m contract. there is no compare to neuvirth.

for some reason this forum has wanted to caps to decide on a goalie and jettison the other young goalies immediately. i would rather have neuvirth than biron. i'd rather have neuvirth playing than just about any other veteran back up goalie in the league.
If Neuvirth cost as much as Biron, I'd agree with you. But Neuvirth is essentially twice as expensive as Biron.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:29 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
If Neuvirth cost as much as Biron, I'd agree with you. But Neuvirth is essentially twice as expensive as Biron.
And twice as good too.

If Holtby went down for any length of time we'd be in trouble with Biron in net but not with Neuvirth.

Ask Carolina about the importance of having a quality backup.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:34 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
fishman has always seemed to have a pretty good handle on the salary cap. this move doesnt bother me.
Fishman has 11.6% of the cap tied up in third line wings next year.

He has 22+% of the cap dedicated to third line wingers, a likely 13th forward, our 7th dman and our backup goaltender. That's more than Vancouver pays the Sedins. How on earth is that a good handle?

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:34 PM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post

He has 22+% of the cap dedicated to third line wingers, a likely 13th forward, our 7th dman and our backup goaltender. That's more than Vancouver pays the Sedins. How on earth is that a good handle?
It's like you own a logging business and ask your manager to buy a truck, and he buys a Mazda, a couple of scooters, and a leaking boat. And then somebody says, well, if our daily driver breaks down, at least we'll have the Mazda -- and our scooters are top of the line! Zoom-zoom!

It's terrible.. carrying around overpaid or useless junk is like a McPhee specialty, and the worst part is that it seems like as long as it all fits under the cap, he doesn't seem to think it's a big issue.

artilector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:17 PM
Millhaus

Quote:

Just to make sure we are talking about Laich, Ward, Schultz, Neuvirth, and Fehr here right? 4.5+3+2.75+2.5+1.5=14.25 / 64.3=22.16%?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:23 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
And twice as good too.

If Holtby went down for any length of time we'd be in trouble with Biron in net but not with Neuvirth.

Ask Carolina about the importance of having a quality backup.
Carolina didn't just lose Cam Ward, they also lost Dan Ellis for a substantial period. Not to mention that they had Boucher in the fold just prior to the start of the season, and decided to trade him to Philadelphia since Ellis had played so well in the AHL.

Beyond that, Philipp Grubauer gives us depth that Carolina didn't have. Even if we lost Holtby, we'd be able to plug in either the vet back-up or Grubauer. Needing an emergency starter is not a pressing concern of the Caps, they already have that covered.

Jonathan Quick only has a $1.8M cap hit. James Reimer only has a $1.8M cap hit. Brian Elliott only has a $1.8M cap hit. Anton Khudobin and Thomas Greiss are both 27 and under UFAs this off-season with comparable performances to Neuvirth's (and arguably higher upside), providing alternatives to Neuvirth both for the Caps and any franchise looking for a young goaltender (driving down both his free agency leverage and his trade value). Emery and Labarbera are UFAs coming off of strong back-up seasons, both with half of Neuvirth's cap hit. Giguere makes $1.25M and is a top notch back-up who's capable of filling in for a string of starts. Even guys like Tomas Vokoun and Josh Harding, who have proven a hell of a lot more than Neuvirth, make $2M or less.

Neuvirth's contract is ridiculous, and he certainly didn't have the leverage to demand the kind of money he ended up getting.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Liberati0n*

Yeah...good post. For several years now we've seen goalies taking small contracts because it's the only way they can get a job, even if they're pretty good. It's a buyer's market, and within that market Neuvirth had below average leverage to ask for any kind of raise. The more I think about it, the more pissed I get. Absolutely moronic.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:27 PM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Just to make sure we are talking about Laich, Ward, Schultz, Neuvirth, and Fehr here right? 4.5+3+2.75+2.5+1.5=14.25 / 64.3=22.16%?
I was thinking Chimera more than Fehr but there's even odds either is the 13th f when everyone's healthy. We're in sync on the rest.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
I was thinking Chimera more than Fehr but there's even odds either is the 13th f when everyone's healthy. We're in sync on the rest.
Ok I was only working backwards off the numbers but I don't see either of them as 13th forwards next season. I don't see Laich as a 3rd line winger next year either. He will either be the 2nd or 3rd line center or 1st or 2nd line LW.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:45 PM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Ok I was only working backwards off the numbers but I don't see either of them as 13th forwards next season. I don't see Laich as a 3rd line winger next year either. He will either be the 2nd or 3rd line center or 1st or 2nd line LW.
Barf. Laich isn't a competent center. Hell he's not even a guarantee to come back as the player that he was. I'd rather have freakin Bozak there.

If Erat keeps up this scoring pace and Brouwer is a product of Ribeiro, the second line could be a very expensive flop next year.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Barf. Laich isn't a competent center. Hell he's not even a guarantee to come back as the player that he was. I'd rather have freakin Bozak there.

If Erat keeps up this scoring pace and Brouwer is a product of Ribeiro, the second line could be a very expensive flop next year.
Well I don't know how you see things shaking out for next season but this is pretty much how I see it at this point:

Johansson/Laich - Backstrom - Ovechkin
Erat - Perreault/Johansson/Laich - Brouwer
Chimera - Laich/Perreault - Ward/Fehr
Volpatti/Hendricks(if he re-signs) - Beagle - Fehr/Ward