HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

All Purpose EJ Thread *Read Mod Warning # 1 & 34*

Old
04-28-2013, 10:15 AM
bradrich99

vCash: 500
Bottom line is that when he played, he simply didn't produce. Period! His defensive game was sound, for the most part. However, his offensive game was atrocious and cannot be blamed on anyone but himself. I don't care if he skated with a bunch of 12 yr olds. 4 pts is pathetic by any measure for someone with his ability. No excuses.

Forget the trade or how he got here. He has to be better. Allowing excuses because of his partners is just rubbish. If he needs someone of some certain ability to line up beside him so that his game can be better - well then he isn't a top guy to begin with.

Count me as one who is done with playing the "be patient" game. Next season begins his 7th season in the league. Development days are over.

bradrich99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:25 AM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrich99 View Post
Count me as one who is done with playing the "be patient" game. Next season begins his 7th season in the league. Development days are over.
6 seasons in the NHL should be close to 492 games. He has played the equivalent of 4 seasons. I would hardly count an entire year of hockey missed, as well as this 30 game season as full years of development. This whole "7th season" is incredibly misleading.

Avs71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 12:23 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradrich99 View Post
Bottom line is that when he played, he simply didn't produce. Period! His defensive game was sound, for the most part. However, his offensive game was atrocious and cannot be blamed on anyone but himself. I don't care if he skated with a bunch of 12 yr olds. 4 pts is pathetic by any measure for someone with his ability. No excuses.

Forget the trade or how he got here. He has to be better. Allowing excuses because of his partners is just rubbish. If he needs someone of some certain ability to line up beside him so that his game can be better - well then he isn't a top guy to begin with.

Count me as one who is done with playing the "be patient" game. Next season begins his 7th season .
Indeed.

That's a tough sale in these parts though.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:00 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
6 seasons in the NHL should be close to 492 games. He has played the equivalent of 4 seasons. I would hardly count an entire year of hockey missed, as well as this 30 game season as full years of development. This whole "7th season" is incredibly misleading.
Even if we ignore seasons and stick to numbers, with over 320 NHL games plus an Olympic stint, it should be pretty safe to say what Johnson can and can't do at this point.

Maybe he'll turn the corner, but no one should be banking on it.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:11 PM
expatriated_texan
Freaking Loopy

vCash: 50
I feel like folks are starting to come around to the fact that EJ is not going to be that offensive dmen but still would like us to get him a proper partner to play on the left side. Well, if EJ isn't going to be the offensive juggernaught, why not move HIM to the left side and allow one of the more offensive kids to play on his right. EJ is sound enough defensively and talented enough in his own zone that he should be able to make the switch (it also can't hurt his offensive production because it's close to absolute zero right now.)

I'd like to see this tried:
EJ-Barrie
Hejda-Elliot
Wilson-Jones(if drafted otherwise Orr'Brien/Huncules)
Nachos-Zannon

I think Duncan will fall victim to a numbers game and probably start the season in Lake Erie baring a trade/buyout of one of the one-way contracts)

expatriated_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:00 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
EJ sucks on the left. Barrie on the left makes more sense.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:22 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatriated_texan View Post
I feel like folks are starting to come around to the fact that EJ is not going to be that offensive dmen but still would like us to get him a proper partner to play on the left side. Well, if EJ isn't going to be the offensive juggernaught, why not move HIM to the left side and allow one of the more offensive kids to play on his right. EJ is sound enough defensively and talented enough in his own zone that he should be able to make the switch (it also can't hurt his offensive production because it's close to absolute zero right now.)

I'd like to see this tried:
EJ-Barrie
Hejda-Elliot
Wilson-Jones(if drafted otherwise Orr'Brien/Huncules)
Nachos-Zannon

I think Duncan will fall victim to a numbers game and probably start the season in Lake Erie baring a trade/buyout of one of the one-way contracts)
Actually the common thought is that you get more offense out of a guy but less defense when playing on the off-side.

EJ should stay on the right side and one of Barrie or Elliott should move to the left side if need be.

Actually last night Barrie played the left side during the shifts both he and Elliott were out on the ice. Which did happen late in the game, and they handled it pretty well to be honest.

Barrie would be interesting because he is the more creative play-maker. He could actually put EJs shot to use as big one-timers. EJ wouldn't need to figure out how to get his shot through or take forever to shoot. Just whale on the puck when it comes to him.

It keeps thing simple offensively for EJ, and allows Barrie the freedom to use his creative strengths.

Barrie - EJ

Scuderi - Elliott

Hejda - Wilson

(I'm not including Jones in our defense anymore until we either win the lottery or actually trade up.)

CobraAcesS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:13 AM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Actually the common thought is that you get more offense out of a guy but less defense when playing on the off-side.

EJ should stay on the right side and one of Barrie or Elliott should move to the left side if need be.

Actually last night Barrie played the left side during the shifts both he and Elliott were out on the ice. Which did happen late in the game, and they handled it pretty well to be honest.

Barrie would be interesting because he is the more creative play-maker. He could actually put EJs shot to use as big one-timers. EJ wouldn't need to figure out how to get his shot through or take forever to shoot. Just whale on the puck when it comes to him.

It keeps thing simple offensively for EJ, and allows Barrie the freedom to use his creative strengths.

Barrie - EJ

Scuderi - Elliott

Hejda - Wilson

(I'm not including Jones in our defense anymore until we either win the lottery or actually trade up.)
And Jones might not even be ready.

My concern with that set of pairings, is that Barrie and Elliott wouldn't be ready for 1st/2nd pairing defense in their own zone. If the Avs pay $4.5M or so for Scuderi (I believe that's what he will cost), he'll likely be playing 1st pairing minutes alongside EJ. Then the Avs could have Hejda-Barrie and Wilson-Elliott pairings. A nice potential mixture of offense and defense on each pairing. Barrie/Elliott get lots of PP minutes and few PK minutes. Scuderi and Hejda, the opposite. EJ/Wilson get both.

The biggest issue I believe the Avs have with potentially signing a 1st pairing defensive UFA, is salary. They have a LOT of players to sign after next season, and some of them are going to be expensive. If the Avs sign expensive UFAs now, they may be in salary/roster spot dumping position after next season.

I still believe that the Avs best option for getting a good defenseman next season, is to trade either Stastny or O'R. Probably Stastny, given UFA/RFA stuff.

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:23 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Barrie was played 25+ on several nights iirc. I think he can handle his defensive assignments if given a bigger partner to police the net a bit more. Barrie is smart, he attacks the high probability angles where he can wedge himself between the man and the puck and chip it up the boards that way.

Barrie or Seth would be with EJ next year if I were coach, both on the left. Elliott stays with Hejda. SOB or Wilson with Barrie or Seth or Hunwick. Zanon would be on Nacho duty everynight and be the team's third goalie during practice.

Lonewolfe2015 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:35 AM
Avs71

I wonder if slimming out would help his game at all. Duchene talked about losing some bulk. Johnson is 235. I believe when he first joined the Blues he was around 215. Not that mobility looks like an issue (once he gets going), but a quicker first step might give him more opportunities.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:21 PM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 291
Quote:
I wonder if slimming out would help his game at all. Duchene talked about losing some bulk. Johnson is 235. I believe when he first joined the Blues he was around 215. Not that mobility looks like an issue (once he gets going), but a quicker first step might give him more opportunities.
A little more foot speed wouldnt hurt but he needs to seriously just learn how to shoot the puck past that first defender. He has the hardest shot on the team but it means jack if he cant get it past that first shot blocker. I think seeing a sports psychologist might be able to help him out. It seems to me alot of Johnsons issues are between the ears.

The Kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:36 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
A little more foot speed wouldnt hurt but he needs to seriously just learn how to shoot the puck past that first defender. He has the hardest shot on the team but it means jack if he cant get it past that first shot blocker. I think seeing a sports psychologist might be able to help him out. It seems to me alot of Johnsons issues are between the ears.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:49 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Who is this man?

Old
04-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post
Who is this man?
Life coach Brian O'Reilly

Old
04-29-2013, 12:58 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

He coached/advised Ryan O'Reilly, and ROR won -- big time.

Maybe the Avs should employ him...

05-11-2013, 12:31 PM
Foppa2118

So the Blues lost in six games.

Shattenkirk - 0 goals 2 assists
Stewart - 0 goals 1 assist

Foppa2118 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 12:39 PM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post

Stews prolly gone

Old
05-11-2013, 12:49 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post

Avs didn't even make the playoffs.

I'm loving the Stewart hate. Avs/EJ have been shat on so much from that trade. It's nice that more people are starting to see the Avs didn't give up Iginla 2.0 and Brian Rafalski 2.0.

What I find more interesting is that Shattenkirk played the 5th most out of St. Louis' 6 defencemen.

Old
05-11-2013, 01:00 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Shattenkirk had a good series. The Blues only scored 9 goals and both of his assists were deflected shots.

Stewart was invisible, though.

shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote