HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jim Nill Being Named GM of Dallas Stars Monday (Conf Post #95)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-28-2013, 02:56 PM
  #76
Try Yer Mouth Mickey
Outta Waiver Stuff
 
Try Yer Mouth Mickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dan's House
Country: Norway
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie guy View Post
It has been said for years that he was Kenny replacement, that is why Stevie went to Tampa, he was not next in line for the GM spot here.
Kenny all so said he would retire when Nick did, I ask again is it such a bad thing to make Ken the pres and Jim the GM? Kenny would still be able to contribute to the team, working hand and hand with the guy he has trained for 15 yrs.

If all you have is a hard on to keep Kenny there that is fine, I am not saying he has to leave the team just move up is that a bad thing?
I've said many times that I haven't been pleased with the moves Holland has made over the past few years. I'm not a Holland apologist, and anyways, that's not even the point.

The point is people should take responsibility for what they write anonymously on the internet. You swore up a storm and blasted Holland for a decision that was not solely in his hands, and that's not right. You don't know!

I recognize you're angry for whatever reason, but come on! This team made the playoffs, they have for 22 years now. It's been maddening fun to watch. The gloom and doom **** is getting pretty silly.


And also, if something like this happened to your family in real life, you'd see how stupid and upsetting it is to see around here. This is a place for people to discuss hockey and the DRW. Many of us aren't lucky enough to talk about the Red Wings on a daily basis with the people in our lives for whatever reason, so we come here.

I'm just saying, think about what you type, man.



And I'm still waiting for a credible source saying that KH led Jim Nill on for 15 years.

Try Yer Mouth Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:03 PM
  #77
Goalie guy
Registered User
 
Goalie guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Taylor MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend Beasley View Post
I've said many times that I haven't been pleased with the moves Holland has made over the past few years. I'm not a Holland apologist, and anyways, that's not even the point.

The point is people should take responsibility for what they write anonymously on the internet. You swore up a storm and blasted Holland for a decision that was not solely in his hands, and that's not right.

I recognize you're angry for whatever reason, but come on! This team made the playoffs, they have for 22 years now. It's been maddening fun to watch. The gloom and doom **** is getting pretty silly.


And also, if something like this happened to your family in real life, you'd see how stupid and upsetting it is to see around here. This is a place for people to discuss hockey and the DRW. Many of us aren't lucky enough to talk about the Red Wings on a daily basis with the people in our lives for whatever reason, so we come here.

I'm just saying, think about what you type, man.



And I'm still waiting for a credible source saying that KH led Jim Nill along for 15 years.
I am not angry about anything, I just don't want this team to loose out on a very very good hockey mind! it is and has been the best team in hockey.
I really think this hurts more than any non move or trade that was made or not made. it is A very big part of the wings brain trust that has kept them on top for 20 plus years.

Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 03:15 PM
  #78
Try Yer Mouth Mickey
Outta Waiver Stuff
 
Try Yer Mouth Mickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dan's House
Country: Norway
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie guy View Post
I am not angry about anything, I just don't want this team to loose out on a very very good hockey mind! it is and has been the best team in hockey.
I really think this hurts more than any non move or trade that was made or not made. it is A very big part of the wings brain trust that has kept them on top for 20 plus years.
Then say that.

Instead of:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie guy View Post
Lol way to **** it up again Kenny you **** retire like you said you would!!!

Honestly the only reason we're still arguing is because you haven't given up and said I'm right yet!

Try Yer Mouth Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:26 PM
  #79
RedWingsNow*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,340
vCash: 500
The whole Holland will retire when Lids retires "joke/story" wasn't just from "Holland-Haters."

It was also repeated by people who espouses about Lidstrom's grandeur.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:28 PM
  #80
Crymson
Fire Holland
 
Crymson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesNichols14 View Post
thank god we already got Danny Dekeyser, if it was next year good chance he would have been in Dallas.
That makes no sense at all.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 04:29 PM
  #81
RedWingsNow*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ann Arbor
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,340
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend Beasley View Post


And I'm still waiting for a credible source saying that KH led Jim Nill on for 15 years.
Some folks have the entire line of succession figured out.
Zetterberg would be captain.
Blashill will be next head coach.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:36 PM
  #82
Bench
Moderator
Coffee. Pie. Owls.
 
Bench's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Twin Peaks
Posts: 9,937
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crymson View Post
That makes no sense at all.
The idea is that it was Nill's connection that landed DD.

I have no idea if that's true, but that's what he was referencing, and in that context, it makes sense.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:08 PM
  #83
Goalie guy
Registered User
 
Goalie guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Taylor MI
Country: United States
Posts: 1,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend Beasley View Post
Then say that.

Instead of:




Honestly the only reason we're still arguing is because you haven't given up and said I'm right yet!
Your not right at all, in any way shape or form! you will stand by Kenny.
and that is fine it is your opinion, which I do not agree with that is my opinion. neither of which really matter do they?

Goalie guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 07:52 PM
  #84
Henkka
Registered User
 
Henkka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Lempäälä, Finland
Posts: 11,521
vCash: 500
People who are worried about who will replace Nill, I think it's pretty easy to just look to our staff and guess that it could very probably be the current Director of Amateur Scouting Joe McDonnell.

Because of:

Ken Holland ----> Scout --> Director of Amateur Scouting --> Assistant GM --> GM
Jim Nill ---------> Scout --> Director of Amateur Scouting --> Assistant GM
Joe McDonnell --> Scout --> Director of Amateur Scouting --> ...

I hope Nill still drafts the next draft for us, and then he can go.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:25 PM
  #85
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 13,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
People who are worried about who will replace Nill, I think it's pretty easy to just look to our staff and guess that it could very probably be the current Director of Amateur Scouting Joe McDonnell.

Because of:

Ken Holland ----> Scout --> Director of Amateur Scouting --> Assistant GM --> GM
Jim Nill ---------> Scout --> Director of Amateur Scouting --> Assistant GM
Joe McDonnell --> Scout --> Director of Amateur Scouting --> ...

I hope Nill still drafts the next draft for us, and then he can go.
Isn't Nill joining the Stars next week?

It sucks to lose Nill, since he played such a pivotal role in our drafting and player development, but let's be honest, Nill isn't the only person in the organization who can do his job. They have a solid team of scouts and people who can make the right decisions. Nill was a good manager but our future isn't going down the drain because one person left for a new challenge. They'll bring in someone competent who can do his job and go on from there.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:34 PM
  #86
Crymson
Fire Holland
 
Crymson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,668
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
The idea is that it was Nill's connection that landed DD.

I have no idea if that's true, but that's what he was referencing, and in that context, it makes sense.
DD wanted to play for the Red Wings. Unless Jim Nill is the ultimate symbol of the Wings to DD, I don't think that claim holds any water.

Crymson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:36 PM
  #87
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!
 
Big Poppa Puck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: South Philly
Country: United States
Posts: 16,744
vCash: 500
Filppula to Dallas (e4)

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:37 PM
  #88
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 13,704
vCash: 500
As Brendan Savage writes in his article, I think Ryan Martin is also a strong candidate for the job.

Quote:
A top candidate to assume Nill's role in Detroit is Ryan Martin, the Red Wings assistant G.M. of hockey administration who has been with the club since 2005.

Martin's primary duties with the Red Wings include collective bargaining agreement compliance and administration as well as salary cap management. He has also assisted in player contract negotiations and analysis.

Martin was offered the assistant G.M. job in Tampa Bay in 2010, when the Lightning hired Steve Yzerman to be their general manager. Yzerman, the former Red Wings legend, became a vice president in Detroit after his retirement in 2006.
He also did some prospect reports for the Red Wings


ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 08:40 PM
  #89
ProPAIN
I am the DANGER!
 
ProPAIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paris
Country: Belgium
Posts: 13,704
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
Filppula to Dallas (e4)
If he takes Cleary, Filppula and Quincey off our hands, I'm ok with that.

Loui Eriksson at the draft, let's do it!

In all seriousness, it might be easier to trade with Dallas in the future being in a different conference and Holland and Nill having a good understanding. Silver lining, people.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 09:19 PM
  #90
tfong
HFBoards Sponsor
 
tfong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,770
vCash: 50
Can we bump up Hakan Anderson to director scouting?

Good luck with the new gig Nill, deserve every ounce of it.

tfong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 10:39 PM
  #91
Try Yer Mouth Mickey
Outta Waiver Stuff
 
Try Yer Mouth Mickey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Dan's House
Country: Norway
Posts: 948
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goalie guy View Post
Your not right at all, in any way shape or form! you will stand by Kenny.
and that is fine it is your opinion, which I do not agree with that is my opinion. neither of which really matter do they?
Pal, it was a joke to ease the tension, hense the emoticons. I disagree with you, i dont hate you. Youre a wings fan, thats great!

Debate is important because we get to understand each other.

As stephan hawking once said (on the division bell, that is): all we need to do is keep talking.

Try Yer Mouth Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:16 PM
  #92
Starsdude
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,489
vCash: 500
Obviously, as a stars fan, its great yall are upset about losing Nill. One big issue under Newy was the constant issue of what he wanted this team to be. Having Tippett then Crawford then Gully is like scitzo in style. His coaching hire will say alot. He starts today actually according to the paper. He had a short out clause.

I assume the defense will be redone with one of Daley and or Robidas gone. He will likely try to trade up and get a young center or go back and/or get Spooner/the Russian from Boston maybe for their pick back. Benn can go back to wing if we get 2 centers this year. We have like 8 AHL d-prospects. I assume we won't be limited to scouting college and WHL like Newy.

First test coaching hire. Would Ruff and him mesh?

Anything else about him hockey wise?


Last edited by Starsdude: 04-29-2013 at 03:52 PM.
Starsdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:36 PM
  #93
Number1RedWingsFan52
Registered User
 
Number1RedWingsFan52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Winter Haven Florida
Country: United States
Posts: 12,228
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Poppa Puck View Post
Filppula to Dallas (e4)
Yeah and Dallas will have to sign him for at least 5 years @ $25M If not more for a player that's only averaging 31 points a season for his entire career playing with the likes of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Just dont see him putting up big numbers there.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:49 PM
  #94
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!
 
SoupNazi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Kramerica Industries
Country: Argentina
Posts: 19,139
vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
Yeah and Dallas will have to sign him for at least 5 years @ $25M If not more for a player that's only averaging 31 points a season for his entire career playing with the likes of Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Just dont see him putting up big numbers there.
Agreed. I'd be willing to bet Dallas is a likely destination for him, but I doubt he puts up numbers there.

I stand by my original sentiment that whoever signs Flip to a major deal like that is going to be extremely disappointed.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
  #95
Jurky
Red Wings defense :(
 
Jurky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,618
vCash: 77
Not sure if it was mentioned but Ryan Martin is expected to take Nill's spot, via CBC

Quote:
The Red Wings are expected to promote Ryan Martin, the current assistant GM of hockey administration for the Red Wings, to take over for Nill
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...-jim-nill.html

Jurky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:31 PM
  #96
kov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: NYC
Posts: 6,058
vCash: 500
A guy like Nill had to be moving on at some point. While I am sad to see him go, I have to ask the uncomfortable question whether our player drafting/development is still working well enough? IMHO, our last 5-6 years have not been yielding as much as the previous decade.

kov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:32 PM
  #97
Winger98
powers combined
 
Winger98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 15,313
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Good luck to Nill, and congratulations to Martin. Our best hope is that Martin grows into being as well respected as Nill was.

__________________
RIP David
Winger98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:41 PM
  #98
Fugu
Administrator
HFBoards
 
Fugu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: ϶(°o°)ϵ
Posts: 33,881
vCash: 500
A huge loss to the organization, almost as big of a hit as Bowman leaving. Interesting times ahead for the Wings.

Fugu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:58 PM
  #99
Kiddington
Registered User
 
Kiddington's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 1,764
vCash: 500
take kenneh instead plz kthx

...but seriously, 'twas bound to happen eventually. Just think, this could've (and probably should've) happened YEARS sooner; how many open GM jobs has he already turned down up to this point?

Let's just be thankful it's not to a division rival.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:07 PM
  #100
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 27,034
vCash: 925
Nill on his presser:

Quote:
The biggest part of this game is drafting and developing; and we are going to be one of the best at it.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.