HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 12:31 PM
Beerfish

vCash: 500
I'll never understand the hate for tim Tebow every where, it's bizarre.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
I'll never understand the hate for tim Tebow every where, it's bizarre.
Not that I think it's justified, but I'm going to guess that for some it has something to do with his being so "religeous" and the confidence he portrays publically because of that.

For whatever reason it makes alot of people uncomfortable and even angry, go look at the past discussions on his twitter account when he tweets something about his beliefs.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:14 PM
abootzky

If Tim Tebow the person is anything close to his public persona (and I have no reason to believe that he isn't), he's a pretty hard guy to sincerely dislike.

The distraction that his mere presence on a pro football team's roster creates and his sub-par passing ability are things I could do without- on the teams I root for at least.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:15 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

He's a fraud of a football player and gets by (in the US) on the strength of his persona.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:27 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
Not that I think it's justified, but I'm going to guess that for some it has something to do with his being so "religeous" and the confidence he portrays publically because of that.

For whatever reason it makes alot of people uncomfortable and even angry, go look at the past discussions on his twitter account when he tweets something about his beliefs.
The "Hate" for Teebow comes from the fact he's a TERRIBLE football player, but people over look that VERY Obvious fact because of something something Jesus something.

The guy is a TERRIBLE Football player, but is held up like he's some kind of legend in his own time, it gets VERY OLD, VERY FAST.

I can only imagine how he'll be preceived in 10, 20 or 30 years. They'll probably start a movement to get him into the HOF because he's the "legend that was over looked by everyone"

He needs to go away.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:28 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
He's a fraud of a football player and gets by (in the US) on the strength of his persona.
Fraud is overly harsh. Tebow is an exceptional athlete. He's just not suited to play QB in the pros.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:30 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The "Hate" for Teebow comes from the fact he's a TERRIBLE football player, but people over look that VERY Obvious fact because of something something Jesus something.

The guy is a TERRIBLE Football player, but is held up like he's some kind of legend in his own time, it gets VERY OLD, VERY FAST.

I can only imagine how he'll be preceived in 10, 20 or 30 years. They'll probably start a movement to get him into the HOF because he's the "legend that was over looked by everyone"

He needs to go away.
A terrible quarterback in the pro game? Yes. He had enough success at Florida to debunk the idea of him being a terrible football player.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:30 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
Fraud is overly harsh. Tebow is an exceptional athlete. He's just not suited to play QB in the pros.
Plenty of people are high end athletes who don't get raised up as if they are actually good at a sport they suck at. He's a TERRIBLE Football player, Fraud, is an excellent choice of words.

I'll explain the Teebow "hate" this way, take Linus Omark, make him bigger but significantly less talented, take the people who blindly support him and treat him as if he's "being held down, unfairly treated" and turn them into semi-relgious Zealots, and you have the Teebow Myth.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:31 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by abootzky View Post
A terrible quarterback in the pro game? Yes. He had enough success at Florida to debunk the idea of him being a terrible football player.
That's like arguing someone like Cameron Mann is an excellent Hockey player because of his totals in the OHL. That dog don't hunt.

Being bigger and stronger then most of the players you play, doesn't make you good, it makes you bigger and stronger.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:38 PM
AUAIOMRN

Quote:

He needs to go away.
None of what you wrote is even the slightest justification for hating Tebow.

Annoyed by the people hyping him? Sure. Annoyed by the media that devotes so much attention to him? Absolutely.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:38 PM
abootzky

Quote:
That's like arguing someone like Cameron Mann is an excellent Hockey player because of his totals in the OHL. That dog don't hunt.
That's like arguing someone who's excellent on the radio in say, Westlock, was never excellent because Westlock isn't Edmonton. Speaking of dogs that won't hunt...

Quote:
Being bigger and stronger then most of the players you play, doesn't make you good, it makes you bigger and stronger.
Being physically dominant, productive and/or successful at a lower level than the pros doesn't make you a fraud or terrible. It just means you may not belong in the pros.

Last edited by abootzky: 04-29-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 01:54 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:

He needs to go away.
Pretty much this

Old
04-29-2013, 01:56 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Why do people like him is my question. The love is enough to make you hate the guy.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:57 PM
OilerFan4Life

Tebow is a great athlete. Terrible QB.

His 2 championships in college were based on playing next to some of the most stacked college teams in recent history.
I think 10 1st round picks on those rosters including Percy Harvin, Reggie Nelson, Derrick Harvey, Aaron Hernandez, Brandon Spikes, Joe Haden, Carlos Dunlap, and the Pouncey twins.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:57 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Tebow can't throw the football. He couldn't in University and he can't in the pros.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:03 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Tebow can't throw the football. He couldn't in University and he can't in the pros.
That's true. NCAA football better lent itself to an offensive system where an athlete like him could flourish. The NFL and especially the CFL (wider field) doesn't.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:59 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
Are you like friends with him or do you work for the esks or something?
No and no.

As for my ins with the team, I have several. The CFL is my favourite sport and the Esks, obviously, my favourite team and I try to encourage chatter here with other fans.

Regarding Tebow, I am neutral and also don't get the hatred. I think it's because he is very open regarding his Christianity and many people hate him for that. I applaud him for putting it out there.

I have a feeling we could see Austin Pasztor here sooner rather than later. It's just a hunch, nothing more.

I'm not big on the NFL but see that Canadian Luke Willson was drafted. He was an Argos draft choice so that's good news. Stefan Charles also went. He was a very highly ranked draft-eligible player for the upcoming CFL draft. Someone might snag him in a later round now. I think Matt Sewell has also signed.

CFL draft is next week.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Is there any reason to be talking about Tim Tebow in a CFL thread? Not sure what he has to do with the CFL.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
Lewy

Quote:
I think this will be his failing if he does play in the CFL. Gotta be able to push that ball to the sidelines.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

We saw Tim Tebow in the CFL: Jared Zabransky. They both suffer from poor mechanics and zero accuracy. That said, Zabransky had a rocket for an arm.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:33 PM
abootzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Is there any reason to be talking about Tim Tebow in a CFL thread? Not sure what he has to do with the CFL.
Good point. Several American sports media types automatically think that, given Tebow can't cut it in the NFL, he'd be a good fit for the CFL. They are blissfully ignorant of the fact that if you can't complete passes, you can't win in Canadian football.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:40 PM
abootzky

Quote:
We saw Tim Tebow in the CFL: Jared Zabransky. They both suffer from poor mechanics and zero accuracy. That said, Zabransky had a rocket for an arm.
Also like Tebow but on a far smaller scale, Zabransky had/has some pretty fanatical supporters (a.k.a. Tillman haters). Zee had the strong/inaccurate arm to be sure as well as poor decision making, average-at-best mobility and a cocky 'me-first' attitude.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:03 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1255
unless Tebow and/or his management says anything about the CFL, I don't think I'll get into it. Especially as the topic seems to inflame such heated passion.
Jimmi is kind of scary about it today.

weird how close to the season we're getting. not that long until the first preseason game.
think I'll look forward to it once things start to turn green and we actually get a spring.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:

He needs to go away.
Who is it that's holding him up like he's some kind of legend?

And how many other QB's have come into the pro level being over hyped and are never able to stick as a starter?

Do you "hate" on them as much as Tebow or is it just because you don't like how other Christians have latched on to a "pro" athlete that was championing their beliefs?

Why get so worked up about him?

Old
04-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:

He needs to go away.
You nailed it.

I grew up in an evangelical church and saw the heavy marketing and latching on to Christian pro athletes in the USA. Players like Tebow become recruitment tools and shining beacons for churches looking to boost their numbers. They endlessly promote openly Christian athletes for the benefit of marketing the religion and its products.

Normally, people wouldn't care too much, but when it turns professional football into a circus, people have a right to get pissed off. You don't enjoy having your pasttime being hijacked for someone else's benefit.

Religion has a huge place in football, and I completely respect that. Religious players need the praying and fellowship and whatnot to play at 100%. But I think they're even a little annoyed with the Tebow garbage.

Closed Thread