HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Northeast Champions!! Bring on the Sens!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2013, 02:07 PM
  #451
Slashers98
Registered User
 
Slashers98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,349
vCash: 500
Playoff Preview: Montreal Canadiens Ottawa Senators
http://thehockeywriters.com/playoff-...tawa-senators/

The title says it all.

Slashers98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:08 PM
  #452
EJsens1
Registered User
 
EJsens1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Should pound this guy every chance they get, he is their best defensive dman and I just hate his fake tough guy persona

Phillips is not our best defensive dman. No question that honour goes to Marc Methot and Jared Cowen, followed by Karlsson.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:09 PM
  #453
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I love Prust, but he's no Neil.
Prust is the closest thing to Neil in the league. Or its the other way around?

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:13 PM
  #454
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,689
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Prust is the closest thing to Neil in the league. Or its the other way around?
Neil is faster, bigger, has a better shot, is a better scorer and is a better fighter. He can be a regular third line player and can play on the top 2 lines if needed.

Prust is a very good 4th line player...

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:22 PM
  #455
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Neil is faster, bigger, has a better shot, is a better scorer and is a better fighter. He can be a regular third line player and can play on the top 2 lines if needed.

Prust is a very good 4th line player...
Prust is actually taller than Neil
They've also squared quite a few times and you can't pick a winner.
Prust as played on the third line most of the year... And he filled in the top 6 also. Our this line is one of the best in the league...

This seems like a good 'ol case of the grass being greener on the other side of the fence.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:23 PM
  #456
Bronn
Registered Sellsword
 
Bronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Highest Bidder
Posts: 11,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post



Anderson has been a starter for three seasons. The rest he was either A)Injured B)Horrible C)5TH string goalie.

Saying things like ''This season'' doesn't make sense. Who had the ''better'' season ? Well I can say Anderson, he played 20ish games, fine. Who has the most talent ? Surely Anderson, right? Who is the best goalie? No seriously? Is it really Anderson ?

Anderson looks like the best goalie on paper because he has outstanding stats (Like Lehner, Bishop, Halak, Rask, Thomas, Crawford, Emery...) but on the ice, I doubt he looks like the better goalie.


Oh and I have no doubt you guys will come out of this saying that Carey didnt play well. I know it will happen, you will blame him for giving 4 goals and not making the timely saves when Alfredsson was alone in the slot or when Bouillon watches Karlsson walk-in on Price, but no one will point to the 4 breakaways he stopped or the three point blank shots he stopped.

That's Montreal, thats what bandwagon fans do, thats what uneducated and emotional fans do.
Look i'm not a Price hater at all. I'm just trying to be objective as far as this season is concerned. Anderson may be in contention for the Vezina while Price looked very average at time this year. Those are facts my friend. Is Price the better goalie overall ? Possibly. Does this mean that Anderson will outplay Price ? No but to call me and others uneducated, emotional and bandwagon fans just because we think the Sens may have an edge in goaltending this year is bit shortsighted. Nothing personal

Bronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:23 PM
  #457
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,099
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Neil is faster, bigger, has a better shot, is a better scorer and is a better fighter. He can be a regular third line player and can play on the top 2 lines if needed.

Prust is a very good 4th line player...
Prust can do that as well as Neil, and he's more than a 4th line player. The only reason he sees time there is because we have 9 healthy skilled offensive forwards that would be ill suited to 4th line play. Most of the year he played 3rd line and he played 3rd&2nd line at times with the Rangers. He's had similar production to Neil in recent years and being younger, is entering his prime rather than getting out of it.

Oh and NO WAY is Neil faster. He has a very wide tooth gap however, gotta hand it to him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee
Look i'm not a Price hater at all. I'm just trying to be objective as far as this season is concerned. Anderson may be in contention for the Vezina while Price looked very average at time this year. Those are facts my friend. Is Price the better goalie overall ? Possibly. Does this mean that Anderson will outplay Price ? No but to call me and others uneducated, emotional and bandwagon fans just because we think the Sens may have an edge in goaltending this year is bit shortsighted. Nothing personal
I believe in Price but I agree with you. Both ''pro'' and ''anti'' Price fans get quite emotional at times...


Last edited by FlyingKostitsyn: 04-29-2013 at 02:29 PM.
FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:30 PM
  #458
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
I love Prust, but he's no Neil.
Yes he is, and even more. Way quicker, at least as good a pair of hands, younger, and as a whole a better defensive player. Neil is arguably a better fighter, but if you give me the chance to pick between those two guys, I take Prust. Way more complete as a player.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:31 PM
  #459
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
Look i'm not a Price hater at all. I'm just trying to be objective as far as this season is concerned. Anderson may be in contention for the Vezina while Price looked very average at time this year. Those are facts my friend. Is Price the better goalie overall ? Possibly. Does this mean that Anderson will outplay Price ? No but to call me and others uneducated, emotional and bandwagon fans just because we think the Sens may have an edge in goaltending this year is bit shortsighted. Nothing personal
Short story : Not many teams have an edge in goaltending, in their respective series. Of all the team in the playoffs, there's no real question mark in goaltending. Reimer and Allen come to mind, but I doubt they crumble.

You guy's put too much emphasis on goaltending. If we lose, it will not be because Price didn't show up. If we win it won't be because he stole the show. It's a team game, Price is there to stop pucks, the rest of the team to prevent pucks from hitting him and putting them in the other net.

Price as not been average this year, its not a fact at all. It's some kind of weird weird uneducated guest people have taken when looking at him allowing goals and his stats. For sure no one looks at all the defensive breakdowns around him. For a goalie to be ''good'' he needs to have a good defense. Give Budaj a good defense and he will win this playoff. Give Price a bad one and he will lose it. Pretty simple.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:33 PM
  #460
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,027
vCash: 500
There's no way Neil is faster than Prust.

Prust is even better defensively than I thought he would be. Neil is a better fighter and probably has a better shot, but that's about it. They are comparable players but Prust is slightly better at most things and is definitely the better skater.

Et le But is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:33 PM
  #461
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
That's why I'm afraid of Neil. He's intelligent and will hurt the habs not by simply target the d-men, but rather by showing them that they can't do anything if he decides to put himself in front of Price. Plus he can score goals and play on any line.
Hah... I can't wait to see Neil wake the beast inside Subban up.

I told it to my friends and I'll say it here; If Ottawa makes the mistake of targetting Subban both physically and mentally, they're in for a tough, tough series.

Neil doesn't scare me. This Sens lineup is filled with a bunch of players who have a history of backing down in front of physical play. Look no further than their captain.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:47 PM
  #462
EJsens1
Registered User
 
EJsens1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Short story : Not many teams have an edge in goaltending, in their respective series. Of all the team in the playoffs, there's no real question mark in goaltending. Reimer and Allen come to mind, but I doubt they crumble.

You guy's put too much emphasis on goaltending. If we lose, it will not be because Price didn't show up. If we win it won't be because he stole the show. It's a team game, Price is there to stop pucks, the rest of the team to prevent pucks from hitting him and putting them in the other net.

Price as not been average this year, its not a fact at all. It's some kind of weird weird uneducated guest people have taken when looking at him allowing goals and his stats. For sure no one looks at all the defensive breakdowns around him. For a goalie to be ''good'' he needs to have a good defense. Give Budaj a good defense and he will win this playoff. Give Price a bad one and he will lose it. Pretty simple.
I think you're using a lot of cop outs here. I don't think Price has been bad this year. A team that finishes 2nd in the conference (granted the east sucks) must have good goaltending, but I don't think Price has been lights out either. Essentially, you're suggesting that we should just disregard his stats because it is convenient for your argument. Goaltending is enormous series after series. If you have an average performance, you aren't going anywhere, we all know that. But go through every Stanley Cup winner over the last 15-20 years and see what their stats are. Usually hovering around a 2.00 gaa and a save percentage of at least .920.

Sure a defense can cover up for mediocre goaltending and vice versa, but as an Ottawa fan, I can assure you that having inconsistent goaltending can set your playoff aspirations down the crapper pretty quick.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:47 PM
  #463
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
I'm hoping for the same lineup as the one with the Leafs, expect Halpern in for White, Sens are not too physical and need Halpern for faceoffs (only RH faceoff man).

I have feeling MT will put Armstrong in for Moen though.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:51 PM
  #464
Pancakes Pancakes
Registered User
 
Pancakes Pancakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Cattawa
Posts: 3,086
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Hah... I can't wait to see Neil wake the beast inside Subban up.

I told it to my friends and I'll say it here; If Ottawa makes the mistake of targetting Subban both physically and mentally, they're in for a tough, tough series.

Neil doesn't scare me. This Sens lineup is filled with a bunch of players who have a history of backing down in front of physical play. Look no further than their captain.
What? Talk about looking into the past, there are maybe 3 players (Alfie, Phillips, maybe Neil?) left from those teams that played the Leafs. I think the Sens proved last year VS the Rangers that they won't back down from physical play. Believe whatever you want to believe if that makes you feel better, but as far as physicallity, at the moment I think the Sens have the edge in that over the Habs.

Good luck in the series though, should be a good one.

Pancakes Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:53 PM
  #465
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJsens1 View Post
I think you're using a lot of cop outs here. I don't think Price has been bad this year. A team that finishes 2nd in the conference (granted the east sucks) must have good goaltending, but I don't think Price has been lights out either. Essentially, you're suggesting that we should just disregard his stats because it is convenient for your argument. Goaltending is enormous series after series. If you have an average performance, you aren't going anywhere, we all know that. But go through every Stanley Cup winner over the last 15-20 years and see what their stats are. Usually hovering around a 2.00 gaa and a save percentage of at least .920.

Sure a defense can cover up for mediocre goaltending and vice versa, but as an Ottawa fan, I can assure you that having inconsistent goaltending can set your playoff aspirations down the crapper pretty quick.

You missed the point. What I said is that most of the goalies in the playoffs are in the same category. There's no Hasek, there's no Marc Denis. The real result will be based on defense and offense. You won't see Anderson or Price clearly outplaying one another(just like in any other series.).

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:55 PM
  #466
Habit11
Registered User
 
Habit11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I'm hoping for the same lineup as the one with the Leafs, expect Halpern in for White, Sens are not too physical and need Halpern for faceoffs (only RH faceoff man).

I have feeling MT will put Armstrong in for Moen though.
Lines at practice today had White/Moen on the 4th line with Prust according to HIO. Halpern/Armstrong as extras. Is Halpern injured because otherwise he should be at 4C and not White.

Habit11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:55 PM
  #467
EJsens1
Registered User
 
EJsens1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
There's no way Neil is faster than Prust.

Prust is even better defensively than I thought he would be. Neil is a better fighter and probably has a better shot, but that's about it. They are comparable players but Prust is slightly better at most things and is definitely the better skater.
Neil doesn't have blazing speed, but he's a pretty good skater for his roll. He can be downright awful sometimes at getting the puck out of his zone for us. One thing he has gotten a lot better at the last 3-4 years is cutting down on dumb penalties. He rarely takes them. Trying to get under his skin after 10 years in the NHL is not gonna happen. He's known at being one of the best tough guys who can play for a reason. I think Prust is growing into the same role.

One thing you can maybe expect Neil to do is deliver a big hit that is borderline that will set your whole fan base off. Neil is one of the best players in the entire NHL at picking his spots and not crossing the line, hence not 1 suspension in his career.

EJsens1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:55 PM
  #468
HabsFan33Zero
Registered User
 
HabsFan33Zero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 97
vCash: 500
What a great season.I hope for a good run in the playoffs. I predict a Montreal victory over Ottawa in 6.

HabsFan33Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:58 PM
  #469
Poulet Kostopoulos
Registered User
 
Poulet Kostopoulos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Hah... I can't wait to see Neil wake the beast inside Subban up.

I told it to my friends and I'll say it here; If Ottawa makes the mistake of targetting Subban both physically and mentally, they're in for a tough, tough series.

Neil doesn't scare me. This Sens lineup is filled with a bunch of players who have a history of backing down in front of physical play. Look no further than their captain.
But it's irrelevant because Habs aren't physical either.

In any case, yeah, I doubt that Neil alone will make much of a difference in this series.

Poulet Kostopoulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:00 PM
  #470
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis
 
Blind Gardien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Four Winds Bar
Country: France
Posts: 19,868
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
Neil is faster, bigger, has a better shot, is a better scorer and is a better fighter. He can be a regular third line player and can play on the top 2 lines if needed.

Prust is a very good 4th line player...
Prust a good 3rd line player. But yeah, a VERY good 4th line player.

I think the edge Neil has is that he's just plain meaner/nastier. Prust will drop the gloves, and he occasionally does a bit of agitating or gets into the "antics". But not to the extent that Neil does. And it's not a knock on Prust to say that Neil is just willing to be more reckless and nasty. Few players are, which is what makes Neil so valuable. I think the idea that Neil is a better scorer or could play on a higher line is a little bit outdated... at his peak he was, but to watch him now, while he still chips in, and goes to the net in a way that will get him a few goals, he's still not the player he used to be. Except for the nastiness factor.

Anyway, Neil is definitely the player on the Sens that I fear/respect the most.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:09 PM
  #471
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,782
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habit11 View Post
Lines at practice today had White/Moen on the 4th line with Prust according to HIO. Halpern/Armstrong as extras. Is Halpern injured because otherwise he should be at 4C and not White.
Thanks,

Guess they want to go with the same lineup as Saturday, looked up White faceoffs, not bad at around 54%, still rather have Halpern, but if MT can deal with White the right way and keep him in check, he can be effective.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:10 PM
  #472
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69 View Post
That's why I'm afraid of Neil. He's intelligent and will hurt the habs not by simply target the d-men, but rather by showing them that they can't do anything if he decides to put himself in front of Price. Plus he can score goals and play on any line.
Price can take of that.

loudi94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:10 PM
  #473
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
You missed the point. What I said is that most of the goalies in the playoffs are in the same category. There's no Hasek, there's no Marc Denis. The real result will be based on defense and offense. You won't see Anderson or Price clearly outplaying one another(just like in any other series.).
This is your prediction because this is how you view the world.

Goaltending is always a difference maker, every year there are goaltending mismatches that create compelling playoff stories and legends. Did Cam Ward, Tim Thomas or Jonathan Quick outplay their opponents? Of course they did.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:11 PM
  #474
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
Thanks,

Guess they want to go with the same lineup as Saturday, looked up White faceoffs, not bad at around 54%, still rather have Halpern, but if MT can deal with White the right way and keep him in check, he can be effective.
I think I'd prefer White too. There's no real FO specialist in Ottawa and White is a good forechecker, which we will need in the PO's

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:12 PM
  #475
Mrb1p
Registered User
 
Mrb1p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Citizen of the world
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,677
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
This is your prediction because this is how you view the world.

Goaltending is always a difference maker, every year there are goaltending mismatches that create compelling playoff stories and legends. Did Cam Ward, Tim Thomas or Jonathan Quick outplay their opponents? Of course they did.
Actually no they didnt. Did Thomas outplay Price in the first round? NO. The difference between goaltending is not what wins the game.

Mrb1p is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.