HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Playoff Perdictions

Old
04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Playoff Perdictions

Okay, it's hockey pool time again. And I'm trying to be unbiased (although I'm a huge Pens fan, and a Leafs fan). While not wanting to get too far ahead of myself, for my hockey pool I need to figure out the final 4 teams. Pens and Chicago are the two easy picks. But I need at least 1, ideally two more teams who I think will make it to the conf finals. Playing it out like this allows me to see matchups and whatnot. Ie Boston/Pittsburgh conf final doesn't happen unless there's an upset in round 1 (Sens/Rangers).

1. Pens - I see the Pens winning in 5 or 6.

2. Habs - I see the Habs winning in 5/6 (assuming they play better than when we played them, and that Price has found his game).

3. Caps - I see the Caps losing - Rangers in 6/7. Maybe I just don't give the Caps enough credit... but I don't see them betting New York.

4. Bruins - If they play like they should (and are all on their game - which hasn't been the case lately), Boston in 6. Boston's downside... they still have a crappy PP.

5. Leafs - Only chance they have is if they get damn lucky and Reimer stands on his head. Would love to see them win, but I just don't see it happening.

6. Sens - Without Spezza, I don't see them going anywhere. However they've proved many wrong all year. If Montreal plays like crap (how they were a couple weeks ago) then the Sens could win.

7. Rangers - This is a team poised to make another run. Talented up front, solid defensively with an allstar goalie. Honestly I don't want to meet them in the playoffs. Out of all the teams here, it's the Rangers and the Bruins that scare me the most. This is where you hope that injuries play a key role, and that Staal doesn't return (not in a mean way... I just don't want to play him)

8. Islanders - Nabby would have to stand on his head, and every Islander exceeding expectations. While I don't want to write them off, I don't see them getting out of the first round (and would be bitterly disappointed if they did).

Round 2
Now if the above predictions come true (Pens, Habs, Bruins, Rangers), round 2 would be the Pens/Rangers and the Habs/Bruins. The other option is Pens/Sens and Bruins/Caps. In both situations I'm conformable with Boston and Pittsburgh making the final 4.

Now to the west. One disadvantage of the short season... I don't think I watched more than 2-3 games of western teams... and all of those games would have been of the Oilers.

1. Hawks - without Pomi (concussion) and Heatley I'm expecting this to be a short series. Chicago has been playing very very good. Hawks in 5.

2. Ducks - I'm actually giving the edge to the Wings here. While Anahiem has been good enough to get into 2nd in the west, I have no confidence that they can beat Detroit.

3. Nucks - Can't stand this team... however I think SJ was not the matchup that Vancouver wanted. I don't think that it matters who plays in net (Lu or SC). Part of me would like to see Lu stand on his head to prove people wrong... while the rest of me wants Vancouver to go down in 4. But I think this could go either way. For the sake of my pool, will say SJ wins.

4. Blues - Kings in 6/7. Blues are a good team... but I don't see them getting past LA.

5. Kings - I'm not really giving the Blues any credit... as I haven't though for a second since seeing the match up that they'd make it to round 2.

6. Sharks - again... no idea if Vancouver is good enough to get past SJ. This is a good deep team with a hot goalie.

7. Wings - Tons of experience here. Not quite the wings of old with Lidstrom... but I think they're good enough to beat the Ducks.

8. Wild - Unfortunately for Minny, with Heatley and Pomi injured I don't think they stand a chance.

Round 2
If my predictions are right... that means the following matchups:
Hawks / Wings - Hawks. Hawks are simply playing out of this world right now.
SJ / Kings - If this comes true, I think this could be one of the best series we'll see. Two big deep teams. Giving LA the edge due to last years run.

So my final 4. Pens/Bruins and Hawks/Kings. Anyone want to offer some thoughts/insight before I pick my pool in a couple hours?

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:03 PM
cheesedanish87

There is so much parity in the NHL right now, Chicago losing in the 1st round is the only series that would surprise me, I think there is gonna be a ton of upsets this year, gonna be fun to watch cant wait for Tuesday.

cheesedanish87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Fire Shero

PIT v. NYI - PIT in 5
MON v. OTT - OTT in 7
WASH v. NYR - WASH in 6
BOS v. TOR - BOS in 6

CHI v. MIN - CHI in 4
ANA v. DET - ANA in 6
VAN v. SJ - SJ in 7
STL. v. LA - LA in 6

Fire Shero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:10 PM
Nfumass

vCash: 386
PIT v. NYI - PIT in 5
MON v. OTT - OTT in 7
WASH v. NYR - Nyr in 7
BOS v. TOR - BOS in 5

CHI v. MIN - CHI in 5
ANA v. DET - ANA in 7
VAN v. SJ - SJ in 7
STL. v. LA - STL in 5

Nfumass is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:12 PM
Sivek

Round 1 picks

PIT vs NYI-PIT in 4
MTL vs OTT-MTL in 5
WSH vs NYR-WSH in 6
BOS vs TOR-TOR in 7

CHI vs MIN-CHI in 5
ANA vs DET-DET in 6
VAN vs SJ-VAN in 7
STL vs LA-STL in 6

Round 2
PIT vs TOR-PIT in 5
MTL vs WAS-WSH in 6

CHI vs DET-CHI in 5
VAN vs STL-STL in 7

Conference Finals
PIT vs WSH-PIT in 6
CHI vs STL-CHI in 6

Finals
PIT vs CHI-PIT in 6

As for your final 4, definitely agree with Haws and Pens but Boston and LA are ripe for losing early imo. Boston has been plodding along for 2 months now and I get the feeling the team just thinks it's going to flip the switch come playoff time, but that practically never happens. They did the same thing last year, hot, hot start, plod down the last quarter of the season and then lose in the 1st round. I can definitely see it happening again this year and don't see them making past round 2 if they win in the 1st. As for LA, think the Blues are quietly humming along since Elliot stopped playing like garbage a few weeks back and Quick has been unimpressive all year, likely still feeling the effects of back surgery in the off-season.

Have the feeling we're finally going to the Caps/Pens rematch everyone been waiting for in the Conference Finals in the East, while in the West, likely Chicago vs St. Louis or Vancouver, with a slight edge to the Blues.

Last edited by Sivek: 04-29-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:27 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Perdiction or Prediction?

Perdiction
Eternal death or damnation

Prediction
A thing predicted; a forecast.

Mo Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:36 PM
KIRK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post

Perdiction

Prediction
Fine, here's a perdiction: Pens fans will have the pleasure of watching Glass start every Penguins game in the playoffs.

KIRK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:44 PM
wgknestrick

Here's how all the teams have played in the 2nd half of the season (and ranked). I am growing more concerned about the Pen's chances against the NYI. NYI (as demonstrated here) were the best possession team and averaged 6 more shots than their opposition on average. I don't think this is going to be the slam dunk, empty net goal conversion that most people here think.

I think the NYI are going to give the Pens everything they can handle. It might get ugly if MAF plays his typical playoff style in a couple of games, and Bylsma continues to ice his worst players while better options are scratched.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo Wanchuk View Post

Perdiction

Prediction

Crafton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Mo Wanchuk
Embrace the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIRK View Post
Fine, here's a perdiction: Pens fans will have the pleasure of watching Glass start every Penguins game in the playoffs.
Well played, Sir.

Mo Wanchuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:07 PM
SirBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafton View Post
Perdiction would be the name of the playoff thread they have going on over in the Flyers message board.

SirBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:30 PM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post

Here's how all the teams have played in the 2nd half of the season (and ranked). I am growing more concerned about the Pen's chances against the NYI. NYI (as demonstrated here) were the best possession team and averaged 6 more shots than their opposition on average. I don't think this is going to be the slam dunk, empty net goal conversion that most people here think.

I think the NYI are going to give the Pens everything they can handle. It might get ugly if MAF plays his typical playoff style in a couple of games, and Bylsma continues to ice his worst players while better options are scratched.
NYI played SE teams 11 times in the second half compared to 4 in the first half of the season. Their record against Atlantic and NE teams is 14-15-4. Goal differential in the second half of the season vs. those same teams was -8 in 13 games. They were -7 in 20 games against those teams in the first half, so they really haven't improved, they just played a much, much more favorable schedule recently.

Last edited by bambamcam4ever: 04-29-2013 at 03:40 PM.
bambamcam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:21 PM
BrookswasHere44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
NYI played SE teams 11 times in the second half compared to 4 in the first half of the season. Their record against Atlantic and NE teams is 14-15-4. Goal differential in the second half of the season vs. those same teams was -8 in 13 games. They were -7 in 20 games against those teams in the first half, so they really haven't improved, they just played a much, much more favorable schedule recently.
Boom! Nice serve, son!

BrookswasHere44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:00 AM
plaidchuck

Dunno about other series or teams but the Rangers and Lundqvist have to prove themselves first, even after a Conf. Finals appearance like last year. For as good as Lundqvist is he always seems to let in some back-breaking goals in the playoffs. You can't even judge a team by a big first round win. Everyone seemed to think Philly would be going on a run after the 1st round and even game 1 against the Devils.

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:48 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

NHL.com writers and NHL Network analysts give their picks.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:55 PM
turd

Usually I get nervous and don't like that everyone picks them, but this year is different for me. I'm pretty confident this season.

turd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:50 PM
NastyNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambamcam4ever View Post
This is really true for a lot of teams and the perceptions of each.

The Rangers finished the season on a tear.. playing the southeast.
The Capitals finished the season on a tear.. playing the southeast.
The Islanders finished the season on a tear.. you get the idea

The Penguins had their tour of the south east too.. during that 15 game win streak. In the case of this short season.. the overall picture is far more accurate IMO.

NastyNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:59 PM
Crafton
Liver-Eating Johnson

Quote:
Originally Posted by turd View Post
Usually I get nervous and don't like that everyone picks them, but this year is different for me. I'm pretty confident this season.
15/18 predicted they would make the finals, but only 8 of those predicted that they would win. not quite the slam-dunk that opposing fans are complaining about

Old
04-30-2013, 03:06 PM
bambamcam4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
This is really true for a lot of teams and the perceptions of each.

The Rangers finished the season on a tear.. playing the southeast.
The Capitals finished the season on a tear.. playing the southeast.
The Islanders finished the season on a tear.. you get the idea

The Penguins had their tour of the south east too.. during that 15 game win streak. In the case of this short season.. the overall picture is far more accurate IMO.
Actually the Pens only played 3 SE teams during their 15 game win streak, meaning they almost had as many wins against teams from a respectable division over those 15 games as NYI had all season.

bambamcam4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2013, 10:00 PM
Riptide

So out of the 5 series that are finished (SJ, Chicago, Pens, LA, Sens) I was right in 4 of them. And the important part being that my final 4 prediction is still looking good (at least in the sense that 1 of them would eliminate the other before the conf finals).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
1. Pens - I see the Pens winning in 5 or 6.

2. Habs - I see the Habs winning in 5/6 (assuming they play better than when we played them, and that Price has found his game).

6. Sens - Without Spezza, I don't see them going anywhere. However they've proved many wrong all year. If Montreal plays like crap (how they were a couple weeks ago) then the Sens could win.

1. Hawks - without Pomi (concussion) and Heatley I'm expecting this to be a short series. Chicago has been playing very very good. Hawks in 5.

3. Nucks - Can't stand this team... however I think SJ was not the matchup that Vancouver wanted. I don't think that it matters who plays in net (Lu or SC). Part of me would like to see Lu stand on his head to prove people wrong... while the rest of me wants Vancouver to go down in 4. But I think this could go either way. For the sake of my pool, will say SJ wins.

4. Blues - Kings in 6/7.

Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote