HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

$3.5 mill + 1st round draft pick/asset for ANY buyout

Old
04-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Paper

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Wang's not worrying about DiPietro's $1.5m per buyout and if Ratner and Prokhorov are indeed the new owners, they won't be worried about that $1.5m per either.
Ha. Not worried about $24,000,000 of dead salary? Come on now, there's not a owner in the league who wouldn't be a bit worried about that. They might be willing to choke it down, but that's a huge difference between not worrying about it. It's super super easy to throw around money on hfboards like it's not actually money, but these businessmen didn't get where they are by not worrying about that amount of money.

Edwards didn't let Feaster keep any of Bouwmeester's salary and that guy is worth 2B.

Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:50 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paper View Post
Ha. Not worried about $24,000,000 of dead salary? Come on now, there's not a owner in the league who wouldn't be a bit worried about that. They might be willing to choke it down, but that's a huge difference between not worrying about it. It's super super easy to throw around money on hfboards like it's not actually money, but these businessmen didn't get where they are by not worrying about that amount of money.

Edwards didn't let Feaster keep any of Bouwmeester's salary and that guy is worth 2B.
Edwards isn't trying to sell his team.He has reason to be concerned about future payrolls.

Wang's try to sell the team and turned over business operations to the Barclays group(potential buyers). Wang has an off ice friendship with RD, that I felt kept Wang from buying out DiPietro.

So, yeah. Imo Wang's not worried about DiPietro's buyout.That's the next owner's problem.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:10 PM
Paper

Quote:
Edwards isn't trying to sell his team.He has reason to be concerned about future payrolls.

Wang's try to sell the team and turned over business operations to the Barclays group(potential buyers). Wang has an off ice friendship with RD, that I felt kept Wang from buying out DiPietro.

So, yeah. Imo Wang's not worried about DiPietro's buyout.That's the next owner's problem.
...It would be easier to sell if their wasn't dead salary.

"Everything looks in order Wang, just one question. What's this $24,000,000 for? Some operating cost? Maybe parking maintenance?"
"Oh no, that's just Rick's salary."
"Wow, he must be a very important person with that type of salary. What's his job?"
"He has none, you'll be paying him to sit at home and eat cheezies until you're 70."
"..."

The next owner's problem is the current owner's problem. Again, maybe it's for the best they are willing to choke it down but if there's a way of clearing the Islanders of that 24M, you better believe Wang is looking at it. More likely a team isn't willing to take a 24M hit though for some draft pick.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:54 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
...It would be easier to sell if their wasn't dead salary.

"Everything looks in order Wang, just one question. What's this $24,000,000 for? Some operating cost? Maybe parking maintenance?"
"Oh no, that's just Rick's salary."
"Wow, he must be a very important person with that type of salary. What's his job?"
"He has none, you'll be paying him to sit at home and eat cheezies until you're 70."
"..."

The next owner's problem is the current owner's problem. Again, maybe it's for the best they are willing to choke it down but if there's a way of clearing the Islanders of that 24M, you better believe Wang is looking at it. More likely a team isn't willing to take a 24M hit though for some draft pick.
RD's in the ahl. No credible press has come out and said Wang will buy him out this summer. No one other then Wang+ Snow what Wang's plan is.

What we do know is..
1.Core players are signed to reasonable, multi yr deals.
2.Isles payroll is among the lowest in the nhl.
3.8 of Snow's top 10 prospects, ended the season in the ahl.More cheap options.
4.The County is open to letting the NYI go to Brooklyn early.
5.There's still 18 yrs/$450m left on the cable deal.

Plenty of positives for a potential owner.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Paper

Quote:
RD's in the ahl. No credible press has come out and said Wang will buy him out this summer. No one other then Wang+ Snow what Wang's plan is.

What we do know is..
1.Core players are signed to reasonable, multi yr deals.
2.Isles payroll is among the lowest in the nhl.
3.8 of Snow's top 10 prospects, ended the season in the ahl.More cheap options.
4.The County is open to letting the NYI go to Brooklyn early.
5.There's still 18 yrs/$450m left on the cable deal.

Plenty of positives for a potential owner.
I..umm. Alright? I think you're missing something here.

The simple fact is the new owner would rather not be paying DiPietro than paying him, right? That's all. It's not the be all and end all but it's going to cause a bit of a hiccup in negotiations. Nobody wants to pay 4.5M for the foreseeable future for an AHL goalie. If Wang was able to weasel himself out of that contract through means of a trade and not drastically hurt their future than you still got everything you said above and the new owner isn't wasting a fortune on ol' Rick.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:23 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
I..umm. Alright? I think you're missing something here.

The simple fact is the new owner would rather not be paying DiPietro than paying him, right? That's all. It's not the be all and end all but it's going to cause a bit of a hiccup in negotiations. Nobody wants to pay 4.5M for the foreseeable future for an AHL goalie. If Wang was able to weasel himself out of that contract through means of a trade and not drastically hurt their future than you still got everything you said above and the new owner isn't wasting a fortune on ol' Rick.
I understand the bolded part.

Do you understand we may not even see DiPietro bought out, under Wang's ownership ?
Wang could sell the team with DiPietro in the AHL.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:25 PM
Paper

Quote:
I understand the bolded part.

Do you understand we may not even see DiPietro bought out, under Wang's ownership ?
Wang could sell the team with DiPietro in the AHL.
In which case they are paying him 4.5M, which is worse. You brought up the buy out in the original chain of posts, not me.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:34 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
In which case they are paying him 4.5M, which is worse. You brought up the buy out in the original chain of posts, not me.
The OP asked what the NYI would give to trade DiPietro and have another team buy him out.

I pointed out that Wang has bought out Yashin, Witt and Bates.A $1.5m buyout is doable.

I also pointed out that Wang, selling the team, won't be on the hook for DiPietro's buyout. The next owner will.Wang won't be stressed over a buyout, he's not paying for and he won't be stressed over DiPietro still playing in the organization.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
Paper

Quote:
Wang won't be stressed over a buyout, he's not paying for and he won't be stressed over DiPietro still playing in the organization.
That's simply not how businesses work. The potential owners know the costs of a team, and DiPietro is going to be a big glaring one. It will hurt the teams value, there's no way around that. And that will end up costing Wang in the selling of it. Might not stop them but I can assure you the Islanders with DiPietro's contract is worth less than the Islander's without it, everything else equal.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:07 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
That's simply not how businesses work. The potential owners know the costs of a team, and DiPietro is going to be a big glaring one. It will hurt the teams value, there's no way around that. And that will end up costing Wang in the selling of it. Might not stop them but I can assure you the Islanders with DiPietro's contract is worth less than the Islander's without it, everything else equal.

I love how the $450m left on the cable deal, the young playoff team, the extra $35m per from luxury suites,a possible early move and the glut of cheap prospects, pales in comparison to a $1.5m per buyout

Old
04-29-2013, 02:47 PM
Paper

Quote:
I love how the $450m left on the cable deal, the young playoff team, the extra $35m per from luxury suites,a possible early move and the glut of cheap prospects, pales in comparison to a $1.5m per buyout
What? I have never brought these up, I have never commented on them. You're making up some argument in your head at this point.

The only thing I have ever said is Wang does care about DiPietro's contract in some capacity. No one would ever deny that...or I would have thought. I mean that's $36,000,000 the Islander's are going to pay DiPietro. If the average ticket price is $50, that's the equivalent to 720,000 New York Islander tickets or about 8 beers at the Bell Centre. You're trying to gloss over his contract with the notion that Wang wont have to deal with it if he sells the team. But that's not how it works, the next owner will take DiPietro's contract into account and offer him less for the organization than he otherwise would have if DiPietro magically disappeared.

Here, I got a decent used car I put it up for sale. You see it in the flyers and offer $12,000 for it, I say sure. We meet, you see the car but there's a dent on the door that will cost around $200 to fix it up. You're not satisfied since you'll want to get it fix and now only offer $11,800. DiPietro's contract is that dent.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:12 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
What? I have never brought these up, I have never commented on them. You're making up some argument in your head at this point.

The only thing I have ever said is Wang does care about DiPietro's contract in some capacity. No one would ever deny that...or I would have thought. I mean that's $36,000,000 the Islander's are going to pay DiPietro. If the average ticket price is $50, that's the equivalent to 720,000 New York Islander tickets or about 8 beers at the Bell Centre. You're trying to gloss over his contract with the notion that Wang wont have to deal with it if he sells the team. But that's not how it works, the next owner will take DiPietro's contract into account and offer him less for the organization than he otherwise would have if DiPietro magically disappeared.

Here, I got a decent used car I put it up for sale. You see it in the flyers and offer $12,000 for it, I say sure. We meet, you see the car but there's a dent on the door that will cost around $200 to fix it up. You're not satisfied since you'll want to get it fix and now only offer $11,800. DiPietro's contract is that dent.
I bought up the $450m left on the cable deal, the young playoff team, the extra $35m per from luxury suites,a possible early move and the glut of cheap prospects.

You counter with DiPietro's $24m buyout, which amounts to $1.5m per for the next owner.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:25 PM
Paper

Quote:
I bought up the $450m left on the cable deal, the young playoff team, the extra $35m per from luxury suites,a possible early move and the glut of cheap prospects.

You counter with DiPietro's $24m buyout, which amounts to $1.5m per for the next owner.
Countered what? Do you think I'm arguing that no one will touch the Islanders while DiPietro is there? Because I have never said anything close to that. All of those things are great and would make the Islanders an attractive commodity for some rich folk looking for an NHL team. Now that's entirely besides the point.

So what do you think the value of the Islander is today? Let's say the new owners are willing to offer 150M for the Islander's today. If DiPietro's contract was simply gone tomorrow and they don't have to pay him that 36M or 24M over the next couple decades they might be willing to offer 160M, or at least some value more than the original offer. That's why Wang would be concerned with DiPietro and would very likely love to explore an option of getting rid of it if it didn't gut the team's future.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:40 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:

So what do you think the value of the Islander is today? Let's say the new owners are willing to offer 150M for the Islander's today. If DiPietro's contract was simply gone tomorrow and they don't have to pay him that 36M or 24M over the next couple decades they might be willing to offer 160M, or at least some value more than the original offer. That's why Wang would be concerned with DiPietro and would very likely love to explore an option of getting rid of it if it didn't gut the team's future.
Who's buying the isles? Ratner and Prokhorov, who watched the NJ Nets value go up more then 60% after their Brooklyn move?

The Net's who don't have $450m left on a cable deal?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...zGNChiJgTIHGtI

Old
04-29-2013, 03:52 PM
Paper

Quote:
Who's buying the isles? Ratner and Prokhorov, who watched the NJ Nets value go up more then 60% after their Brooklyn move?

The Net's who don't have $450m left on a cable deal?

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/busines...zGNChiJgTIHGtI
Okay, pick any number and any owner. Again, way besides the point. But let's say 300M today. Now remove DiPietro tomorrow and it's 310M. Or whatever values you want to chose.

Doesn't change the fact that Islanders>Islanders+DiPietro.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:27 PM
Egoclapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Here's a link to cap geeks buyout calculator figures for Luongo: http://capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php?player_id=683.

They'd be paying until 2031, and from 2019-2022, it would be over 5 million per season.

Yeah, they may not be able to afford it.
It's $27,046,667 that they pay in a lump sum the day of the buyout.

Quote:

The teams will pay $24 million for DiPietro and $27 million+ for Luongo at the date of the buyout. The cap hit is spread out over twice the seasons so that it doesn't handicap teams, there's no way a team could compete if they counted it in one season.

The Canucks operating income in 2011-12 was $30.4 million, ownership might be hesitant to drop that to a mere $3 million to get rid of Luongo.

The Islanders on the other hand had an operating income of -$16 million. DP's buyout will come out of Wang's pocket or new ownerships.. I'm sure they'd like to avoid spending another $27 million to get rid of him.

The Leafs meanwhile brought in $81.9 million. They could take a shave if they were offered something worthwhile, the question is what hockey asset is worth $24-27 million? Also Bell and Rogers bring in enough profits, the true value of the team to them is the media rights.

Egoclapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Egoclapper

Obviously FANS would want to avoid this.

I'm asking from a strictly business perspective. What kind of hockey assets would a owner be willing to give up to save the money?

Old
04-29-2013, 07:39 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoclapper View Post

The teams will pay $24 million for DiPietro and $27 million+ for Luongo at the date of the buyout. The cap hit is spread out over twice the seasons so that it doesn't handicap teams, there's no way a team could compete if they counted it in one season.

The Canucks operating income in 2011-12 was $30.4 million, ownership might be hesitant to drop that to a mere $3 million to get rid of Luongo.

The Islanders on the other hand had an operating income of -$16 million. DP's buyout will come out of Wang's pocket or new ownerships.. I'm sure they'd like to avoid spending another $27 million to get rid of him.

The Leafs meanwhile brought in $81.9 million. They could take a shave if they were offered something worthwhile, the question is what hockey asset is worth $24-27 million? Also Bell and Rogers bring in enough profits, the true value of the team to them is the media rights.

1.Wang could leave DiPietro in the AHL and let the new owner decide what to do about RD and his $1.5m per buyout.Or buy him out, knowing he's not on the hook longterm.

2.Wang's turned over the business side of the team to the Barclay group, leading to speculation that Ratner and Prokhorov, the Russian billionaire, will end up as owners.

Imo Wang will either buyout DiPietro or let the new owner decide his fate.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:45 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Obviously FANS would want to avoid this.

I'm asking from a strictly business perspective. What kind of hockey assets would a owner be willing to give up to save the money?
Why don't you post a link from a credible source, that Wang's ever tried to move RD's contract and offered up top prospects or a first rounder.

That scenerio is a fans wish.

Part of what will make the Isles appealing to a buyer, is the young talent on cheap contracts.Those low payrolls.

Wang's not packaging top youngsters to save $1.5m per, when his team is nowhere near the ceiling.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:54 PM
Egoclapper

Quote:
Why don't you post a link from a credible source, that Wang's ever tried to move RD's contract and offered up top prospects or a first rounder.

That scenerio is a fans wish.

Part of what will make the Isles appealing to a buyer, is the young talent on cheap contracts.Those low payrolls.

Wang's not packaging top youngsters to save $1.5m per, when his team is nowhere near the ceiling.
You sound really upset that I used DiPietro as an example. Let's talk about Luongo, hypothetically, what kind of hockey assets would the Canucks give up to save $27 million today.

And I've already explained why it's not $1.5 mill per. It's $24 million cash that Wang or these Russian billionaires will have to pay in June, which is much more due to the time value of money.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:01 PM
robert terwilliger
the bart, the

Quote:
Teams do this in baseball, throw millions at international free agents hoping one turns out.
this isn't entirely true.

teams do not throw millions of dollars at international free agents anymore. there's a strict cap on international spending which you can read about here http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/rule-...tional-market/

and even if you'd get the odd aroldis chapman or yoenis cespedes, the "throw millions at" players were not as common as you're making them to be. there's a posting fee to take players from japan and as far as latin america, baseball teams set up academies in latin america where they develop talent that they sign for thousands of dollars, not millions. some of that talent hits, most of it does not.

robert terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:16 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:

Where are you getting lump sum from? Cap geek has it at $1.5m for 18 years, under amnesty it is all cap free.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:17 AM
CREW99AW

Quote:
You sound really upset that I used DiPietro as an example. Let's talk about Luongo, hypothetically, what kind of hockey assets would the Canucks give up to save $27 million today.

And I've already explained why it's not $1.5 mill per. It's $24 million cash that Wang or these Russian billionaires will have to pay in June, which is much more due to the time value of money.
You are wrong. The buyout would not be one lump sum.It would be spread out over twice the remaining length of the contract: $1.5m per season for 16 seasons.

I'm not upset. Just wish I didn't feel I was banging my head against a wall, repeating why points #1, 2, 3 and 4 matter, only to have them ignored by fans because they interfere with the fantasy. In 2009 we read these proposals with Tavares/ DiPietro. In 2010 we read these proposals with Nino/ DiPietro.
2011 it was Strome/ DiPietro.
2012 it was Reinhart/ DiPietro