HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Emergence of Ray Emery as the #1 goaltender

Old
04-29-2013, 08:17 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

vCash: 500
Rotating goalies in the playoffs is a ludicrously bad idea and is never going to happen, so I'm not sure why anyone's bothering to waste time talking about it, to be honest.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:09 AM
Hawkaholic

I could definitely see Crawford being replaced for a game or 2 during the playoffs, and if he struggles being replaced by Emery until Emery struggles. But if Crawford is playing well, they won't be switching back and forth.

To say switching of goalies never happens is false...didn't Philly switch from Leighton, to Boucher, back to Leighton, back to Boucher, back to Leighton in 2010?

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:42 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I could definitely see Crawford being replaced for a game or 2 during the playoffs, and if he struggles being replaced by Emery until Emery struggles. But if Crawford is playing well, they won't be switching back and forth.

To say switching of goalies never happens is false...didn't Philly switch from Leighton, to Boucher, back to Leighton, back to Boucher, back to Leighton in 2010?
Boucher was their starter and then got hurt in Game 5 against Boston. He stayed hurt throughout the Montreal series, in which Leighton had three shutouts, so the Flyers stuck with him through the SCF. So they switched from Boucher to Leighton because of an injury, and Leighton remained the starter for the rest of the playoffs.

Not the same at all as rotating continuously between goalies when both guys are healthy. That has never been done before in the playoffs and never will be. You name a #1 and go with him.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Boucher was their starter and then got hurt in Game 5 against Boston. He stayed hurt throughout the Montreal series, in which Leighton had three shutouts, so the Flyers stuck with him through the SCF. So they switched from Boucher to Leighton because of an injury, and Leighton remained the starter for the rest of the playoffs.

Not the same at all as rotating continuously between goalies when both guys are healthy. That has never been done before in the playoffs and never will be. You name a #1 and go with him.
Ya, it's not the same as willingly switching your goalies, but it's not like it's something you should be completely against. If Crawford get's hot, and then has a couple games where he absolutely stinks, you switch. With our goalies, you never know what you are going to get, so I think the option is there if Crow starts struggling at any point. Ultimately, he's our guy, but I have zero issue with Emery going in if he's healthy and Crow is playing like last years playoffs.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:56 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Crawford will play all the games unless he falters big time, can't play due to injury or if we lead a series 3-0 and even then he won't start emery

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Unless Crawford is giving up 5+ regularly, I wouldn't put in Emery given that (at that point) he wouldn't have played in a game in weeks. You can't knee-jerk as soon as a goalie starts struggling in the playoffs. Would destroy his confidence.

Old
04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Unless Crawford is giving up 5+ regularly, I wouldn't put in Emery given that (at that point) he wouldn't have played in a game in weeks. You can't knee-jerk as soon as a goalie starts struggling in the playoffs. Would destroy his confidence.
They should of put Emery in last year when Crow gave up those 2 OT goals. I don't care how many Crow is letting in, it's the quality of the goals he's letting in.

If he let's in 2 OT goals like last year, get him the **** out of there...who gives a **** about his confidence at that point?

Old
04-29-2013, 01:09 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

And what happens when Emery's brutal side-to-side movement results in weak goals against him? At the end of the day the Hawks do not have an elite goalie. They have two guys who are capable of putting up good numbers and playing well behind a good defensive team, which is what the Hawks have become. Crawford is more athletic and more talented. They will go with him. If he has a bad game, Emery won't just be handed the starting role and thrown into the fire despite barely playing for weeks. It's not going to happen.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Pailhead

If there are no injuries to deal with and Q switches from Crawford to Emery multiple times, it means both have **** the bed and the Hawks are done.

If Crawford is playing well, Emery won't see the ice. If Crawford falls apart and they make the switch to Emery, Crawford won't see the ice again.

Pailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
And what happens when Emery's brutal side-to-side movement results in weak goals against him? At the end of the day the Hawks do not have an elite goalie. They have two guys who are capable of putting up good numbers and playing well behind a good defensive team, which is what the Hawks have become. Crawford is more athletic and more talented. They will go with him. If he has a bad game, Emery won't just be handed the starting role and thrown into the fire despite barely playing for weeks. It's not going to happen.
Depends how the team reacts to each goalies weak goals. If Crawford is ******** the bed, and Emery comes in and plays well for a game and then ***** the bed, I have no problem going back to Crawford.

This is not your typical G situation, so it's entirely possible the situation isn't your typical #1 guy. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying it's going to happen (switching G's), but it far more possible than it ever has been for any team in the playoffs.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:34 PM
LBS8844

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Depends how the team reacts to each goalies weak goals. If Crawford is ******** the bed, and Emery comes in and plays well for a game and then ***** the bed, I have no problem going back to Crawford.

This is not your typical G situation, so it's entirely possible the situation isn't your typical #1 guy. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying it's going to happen (switching G's), but it far more possible than it ever has been for any team in the playoffs.
This.

LBS8844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:19 PM
Pailhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBS8844 View Post
This.
...but that's not what you've been saying. He's saying it's simply more likely that it could happen here. I'll agree that's it more likely that at any time previously, but more likely still doesn't make it likely.

You've been flat out saying it will happen and obnoxiously linking to the GAA leaders as your definitive proof.

Pailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:27 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Rotating goalies in the playoffs is a ludicrously bad idea and is never going to happen, so I'm not sure why anyone's bothering to waste time talking about it, to be honest.
The only time I remember it having any modicum of success was when Minny did it with Fernandez/Roloson.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
The only time I remember it having any modicum of success was when Minny did it with Fernandez/Roloson.
They both played in a good number of games during the playoffs? I didn't watch other teams quite as closely back then as I do now, I was pretty young. I remember being jealous of how good both those guys were when they played the Hawks.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:05 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
They both played in a good number of games during the playoffs? I didn't watch other teams quite as closely back then as I do now, I was pretty young. I remember being jealous of how good both those guys were when they played the Hawks.
They had a system where you kept starting til you lost. They did the same thing in the regular season though so it was hardly a controversy.

Edit: That's what I remember anyway. My brain has been addled by a concussion or five.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote