HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Tri City making moves

Old
09-14-2006, 11:32 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

vCash: 500
Tri City making moves

Tri City Americans pulled off a big trade with Lethbridge getting Colton Yellow Horn and right winger Michael Kaye for a 1st round pick '07 and a 3rd round in '08.

In addition to this trade, Tri City picked up overager Ladislav Scurko from the Seattle Thunderbirds for a fourth round pick in '07.

Looks like the team is trying to bolster the lineup now since Yellow Horn and Kaye are 19 year olds and Scurko is 20. Guess Price will be staying put for now.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 11:54 AM
neopreneur

Tri City is trading away picks so it doesn't look like Price is going anywhere... unless they trade Price to get those picks back...

neopreneur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Dr_Hook

I heard somewhere that Tri-City's back-up Chet Pickard is supposed to be a pretty good goalie; anybody know him ? Given that he's younger and all, is it possible that the Americans may still trade Price for value and give him the net ?

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 12:31 PM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
I heard somewhere that Tri-City's back-up Chet Pickard is supposed to be a pretty good goalie; anybody know him ? Given that he's younger and all, is it possible that the Americans may still trade Price for value and give him the net ?
Hard to figure out what their gameplan will be. I'm not intimately familiar with their lineup, but I was under the impression that they were entering the season TOTALLY decimated... like, the kind of team that would struggle to win 10 games. And would thence be embarking on a serious rebuilding phase.

I'm not sure how even these recent trades can help them escape too much from that... maybe instead of a completely hopeless team they just become a weak team? I'm a bit surprised they'd give up draft picks to hit that still-uninspiring level, but who knows, maybe the tickets weren't moving too fast or something.

Past that, I wonder which would be better for Price... getting shelled on a weak team, or getting traded to a contender? Given that a lot of WHL contenders seem to have really superb defenses in recent years, perhaps staying for some shelling in Tri-City, at least for part of the year, isn't such a bad thing? Possibly they want to try to look a little bit competitive (remotely) to start the season, then they'll be ready to make their moves when they can hope to take advantage of deadline bidding wars? That's probably a decent scenario for us and Price.

Blind Gardien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Duster

I've seen Pickard twice - once here against the Giants in the early part of last season when Tri-City was simply awful. Both times he kept the score closer than it could have been. He showed quick reflexes, a good glove and seems to cover his angles fairly well. He seemed to get drawn out of position a lot but that's likely due to Tri-City's defense which allowed opposing players to walk in at will. Physically, he seemed small but he's likely still growing -the team page says he's now 6'2". Based on those two games though, I don't see him as a No1 goalie so Price stays, imo.

I'm glad for the Tri-City fans that an effort is being made to improve the team on offense. The players they got in exchange will help a lot. Unless the team gets veteran help on defense though, both goalies will still see a lot of rubber, imo.

Last edited by Duster: 09-14-2006 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Addition.
Duster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Fozz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Past that, I wonder which would be better for Price... getting shelled on a weak team, or getting traded to a contender?
These number should serve as an argument for the former:

44GP 2463Min 228GA 0SO 5.55GAA 16W 25L 1T

Can anyone tell me what those numbers are?
Yes. they are Patrick Roy's stats during his final junior year with a putrid Granby team.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 03:37 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Hard to figure out what their gameplan will be. I'm not intimately familiar with their lineup, but I was under the impression that they were entering the season TOTALLY decimated... like, the kind of team that would struggle to win 10 games. And would thence be embarking on a serious rebuilding phase.

I'm not sure how even these recent trades can help them escape too much from that... maybe instead of a completely hopeless team they just become a weak team? I'm a bit surprised they'd give up draft picks to hit that still-uninspiring level, but who knows, maybe the tickets weren't moving too fast or something.

Past that, I wonder which would be better for Price... getting shelled on a weak team, or getting traded to a contender? Given that a lot of WHL contenders seem to have really superb defenses in recent years, perhaps staying for some shelling in Tri-City, at least for part of the year, isn't such a bad thing? Possibly they want to try to look a little bit competitive (remotely) to start the season, then they'll be ready to make their moves when they can hope to take advantage of deadline bidding wars? That's probably a decent scenario for us and Price.
The thing that goes in Tri Cities favor is that they play in a weak division imo, so restocking the shelf might keep them in the playoff race. I followed the team more in the early parts of last year but it appears as though they will still be weak on defense, although I haven't stayed on top of all the moves made over the summer. With these trades I got to think that Price will be staying put at least for the time being.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 05:15 PM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
I think it actually does position Tri-cities in such a manner that they will be able to trade Price. Yellowhorn will be a fan favourite as he is flashy. They could slide Price out for a couple of good players and still be competitive.
On the flip side- why did Lethbridge trade their leading scorer for a first-rounder next season? That's a telling tale in itself.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 05:33 PM
KaptainKourage*

Price to Vancouver, please god make it happens !!

Price @ Memorial Cup

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 06:20 PM
Nielson81

Send a message via ICQ to Nielson81
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
On the flip side- why did Lethbridge trade their leading scorer for a first-rounder next season? That's a telling tale in itself.
Hey man.....

YellowHorn was shocked today, spoke with him this afternoon, says he had no clue this was coming. He said he wanted to be a Hurricane for his whole WHL career.

We were expecting 30 goals and 60 assists out of Yellow this season.

Also talk with Roy Stasiuk, the GM here, and he said it was a move to open up ice time for some 07 and 08 eligble players like Boychuk and King.

Nielson81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 06:34 PM
Habitant#1

Patrick Roy has always said that a goalie should play for the crappiest team so that he sees a lot of rubber.

Habitant#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 06:48 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaptainKourage View Post

Price @ Memorial Cup
I think we get your point

Habs Prospects website
habsprospects is online now   Reply With Quote