HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Northeast Champions!! Bring on the Sens!!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-29-2013, 02:15 PM
  #476
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Prust a good 3rd line player. But yeah, a VERY good 4th line player.

I think the edge Neil has is that he's just plain meaner/nastier. Prust will drop the gloves, and he occasionally does a bit of agitating or gets into the "antics". But not to the extent that Neil does. And it's not a knock on Prust to say that Neil is just willing to be more reckless and nasty. Few players are, which is what makes Neil so valuable. I think the idea that Neil is a better scorer or could play on a higher line is a little bit outdated... at his peak he was, but to watch him now, while he still chips in, and goes to the net in a way that will get him a few goals, he's still not the player he used to be. Except for the nastiness factor.

Anyway, Neil is definitely the player on the Sens that I fear/respect the most.
Fair enough.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:16 PM
  #477
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,632
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Actually no they didnt. Did Thomas outplay Price in the first round? NO. The difference between goaltending is not what wins the game.
The difference is a concussed Halpern and the fact Gionta couldn't lift a ****ing puck in OT. GAH

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:18 PM
  #478
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Actually no they didnt. Did Thomas outplay Price in the first round? NO. The difference between goaltending is not what wins the game.
Thomas clearly outplayed Price. He was the Conn Smythe winner. Your memory of hockey history is less than weak, it's non-existent.

I can guarantee you that there will be multiple series won because one goaltender stepped up and made timely or spectacular saves and one didn't. It's been this way in every year of NHL history. The goaltender is the single largest difference maker in hockey.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:18 PM
  #479
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJsens1 View Post
I think you're using a lot of cop outs here. I don't think Price has been bad this year. A team that finishes 2nd in the conference (granted the east sucks) must have good goaltending, but I don't think Price has been lights out either. Essentially, you're suggesting that we should just disregard his stats because it is convenient for your argument. Goaltending is enormous series after series. If you have an average performance, you aren't going anywhere, we all know that. But go through every Stanley Cup winner over the last 15-20 years and see what their stats are. Usually hovering around a 2.00 gaa and a save percentage of at least .920.

Sure a defense can cover up for mediocre goaltending and vice versa, but as an Ottawa fan, I can assure you that having inconsistent goaltending can set your playoff aspirations down the crapper pretty quick.
Stats in the regular season should be disregarded because they mean absolutely nothing come PO time. That's not just about goaltending.
One of our biggest strength this year was our depth provided by our third line. Eller has certainly turned a corner, and our two rookies in Gallagher and Galchenyuk provided us with some helpful scoring. Should we look at their reg. season stats in the POs? Of course not, they're irrelevant, but we're still gonna need those guys to step up and keep providing that depth scoring.

If you want to look at stats to make PO comparisons, at least look at the previous performances in the POs. Anderson has great numbers in the POs, but only got there twice for a total of 13 games, and never went past the 1st round.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:19 PM
  #480
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred
 
habs03's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 4,671
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
I think I'd prefer White too. There's no real FO specialist in Ottawa and White is a good forechecker, which we will need in the PO's
Only down fall is that he sometimes White gets caught out of position going for hits, and I noticed the Sens like to have their d-men jump into the rush a lot, could be an issue, but IMO that is one thing we need to cash on. Sens gave up four, five 2 on 1's to the Bruins, but the B's couldn't capitalize, need to make sure we put them into their net on those.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:21 PM
  #481
HeShootsHeScores
Registered User
 
HeShootsHeScores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 500
I have no problem admitting karlsson is one of the best, if not the best defensemen of the league, but let's not forget we have the most electrifying passion fueled, offensive powerhouse defensemen in PK subban. I don't know if the sens fans (or habs fan for that matter) are aware of that...

I point this out because there seems to be that crazy love fest for a guy who's been injured all season long, while we had the chance to see our very own star showcasing his talent and determination, contender for Norris trophy. Guys, Subban in the playoffs will be a machine.

HeShootsHeScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:26 PM
  #482
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Thomas clearly outplayed Price. He was the Conn Smythe winner. Your memory of hockey history is less than weak, it's non-existent.

I can guarantee you that there will be multiple series won because one goaltender stepped up and made timely or spectacular saves and one didn't. It's been this way in every year of NHL history. The goaltender is the single largest difference maker in hockey.
Clearly?
Thomas won the Conn Smythe because of 4 rounds of great goaltending, it doesn't mean he clearly outplayed Price.
I think your memory isn't as good as you think it is either..

That series wasn't decided on goaltending. Tim Thomas faced less shots overall than Price (229 vs 242) and allowed 1 more goal. Three games, including game 7, went to OT.
This Series was literally decided by 1 goal.

If you think Thomas clearly outplayed Price you need to re-watch that series.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:27 PM
  #483
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,632
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Clearly?
Thomas won the Conn Smythe because of 4 rounds of great goaltending, it doesn't mean he clearly outplayed Price.
I think your memory isn't as good as you think it is either..

That series wasn't decided on goaltending. Tim Thomas faced less shots overall than Price (229 vs 242) and allowed 1 more goal. Three games, including game 7, went to OT.
This Series was literally decided by 1 goal.

If you think Thomas clearly outplayed Price you need to re-watch that series.
Agreed whole-heartedly.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:34 PM
  #484
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Clearly?
Thomas won the Conn Smythe because of 4 rounds of great goaltending, it doesn't mean he clearly outplayed Price.
I think your memory isn't as good as you think it is either..

That series wasn't decided on goaltending. Tim Thomas faced less shots overall than Price (229 vs 242) and allowed 1 more goal. Three games, including game 7, went to OT.
This Series was literally decided by 1 goal.

If you think Thomas clearly outplayed Price you need to re-watch that series.
The series was lost in game 3 and 4 when Price lost focus and let the Bruins back in the series when they had a stranglehold. Shoddy puck handing and bad goals. It had nothing to do with game 7. Go back and view the games.

Thomas > Price in that series.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:42 PM
  #485
Muminek
Registered User
 
Muminek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,214
vCash: 500
One good thing that comes from playing the Sens and not the Leafs is less extracurricular drama from the media, childishness from the fans as well as douchebaggery on the ice.
I hope the product will be better for it.

But next year I want Bruins in the first, Leafs in the second round. I wonder how many mods would have to be put on IR afterwards

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:45 PM
  #486
76ftw
24
 
76ftw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,543
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Thomas clearly outplayed Price. He was the Conn Smythe winner. Your memory of hockey history is less than weak, it's non-existent.

I can guarantee you that there will be multiple series won because one goaltender stepped up and made timely or spectacular saves and one didn't. It's been this way in every year of NHL history. The goaltender is the single largest difference maker in hockey.
In the first round Price outplayed Thomas dude lol

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:47 PM
  #487
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,632
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The series was lost in game 3 and 4 when Price lost focus and let the Bruins back in the series when they had a stranglehold. Shoddy puck handing and bad goals. It had nothing to do with game 7. Go back and view the games.

Thomas > Price in that series.
We had a chance to take a strangle hold on a 2-on-1 in overtime and Mr. Gionta couldn't even get a Timbit level shot on Thomas for the would be winner. THAT was the difference.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:53 PM
  #488
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We had a chance to take a strangle hold on a 2-on-1 in overtime and Mr. Gionta couldn't even get a Timbit level shot on Thomas for the would be winner. THAT was the difference.
Price was scored on from behind the net and gave the puck directly to Peverley on the winner in game 3. That was the series turning point. Thomas outplayed him in critical game 3 and 4, and onward after that.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:56 PM
  #489
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 40,978
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Price was scored on from behind the net and gave the puck directly to Peverley on the winner in game 3. That was the series turning point. Thomas outplayed him in critical game 3 and 4, and onward after that.
So game 6 wasn't important ?

Ok.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:57 PM
  #490
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
We had a chance to take a strangle hold on a 2-on-1 in overtime and Mr. Gionta couldn't even get a Timbit level shot on Thomas for the would be winner. THAT was the difference.
If Gionta was a goaltender then that might be relevant in the Thomas>Price in 2011 discussion.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 02:58 PM
  #491
elsubz
Registered User
 
elsubz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Price was scored on from behind the net and gave the puck directly to Peverley on the winner in game 3. That was the series turning point. Thomas outplayed him in critical game 3 and 4, and onward after that.
Even bruins fans would admit Carey was the better goalie in that serie. You're the only that seems to think that way. Wake up. Nonetheless, this discussion is irrelevant to the coming playoffs.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:01 PM
  #492
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
Even bruins fans would admit Carey was the better goalie in that serie. You're the only that seems to think that way. Wake up. Nonetheless, this discussion is irrelevant to the coming playoffs.
Attempting to speak on behalf of an entire fan base (and making **** up) is irrelevant buddo.

Price cost them the series in game 3 when a bullet could have been put into the bear.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:08 PM
  #493
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,632
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
If Gionta was a goaltender then that might be relevant in the Thomas>Price in 2011 discussion.
If Gionta scores that goal.. Price doesn't get scored on in OT and we go up 3-0.

The series turning point was -right- there. Thomas was down and out and Gionta choked.

You do know the goaltender is not the only reason for every loss, right?

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:10 PM
  #494
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,086
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Attempting to speak on behalf of an entire fan base (and making **** up) is irrelevant buddo.

Price cost them the series in game 3 when a bullet could have been put into the bear.
Honestly, for the love of god, give me a break with this.

"Price cost us the series in game 3."

Reread that a zillion times and tell me if it ever starts making sense.

hototogisu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:11 PM
  #495
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
If Gionta scores that goal.. Price doesn't get scored on in OT and we go up 3-0.

The series turning point was -right- there. Thomas was down and out and Gionta choked.

You do know the goaltender is not the only reason for every loss, right?
Come on. Why talk about playoffs that happen two years ago.

Price has to perform his best in the next weeks.

That's from there we gonna be able if he is a Series goalie or not.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:12 PM
  #496
WeThreeKings
Registered User
 
WeThreeKings's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 32,632
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Honestly, for the love of god, give me a break with this.

"Price cost us the series in game 3."

Reread that a zillion times and tell me if it ever starts making sense.
Price is the reason you touch yourself at night. Price

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:19 PM
  #497
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,006
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Honestly, for the love of god, give me a break with this.

"Price cost us the series in game 3."

Reread that a zillion times and tell me if it ever starts making sense.
This is not originally a Price discussion, Kriss E made it one. The point originally was directed to someone who inexplicably doesn't think that goaltending makes a hill of beans worth of difference in the playoffs.

In any case it does, but given the response it seems some still need to come to terms with 2011 as one that got away.

Agnostic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:23 PM
  #498
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,192
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
The series was lost in game 3 and 4 when Price lost focus and let the Bruins back in the series when they had a stranglehold. Shoddy puck handing and bad goals. It had nothing to do with game 7. Go back and view the games.

Thomas > Price in that series.
Seriously, now you're just being ridiculous.
The series was lost in Game 7 OT, that's it. Both goalies played great. You want to put the loss of that series on Price because you wanted to keep Halak and so have always been hard on Price, then go ahead, but everybody can see right through you.

I have absolutely no problem blaming Price when he deserves it. He hasn't been solid this year, was horrible in the latest slump, and has been pretty mediocre in the POs aside from two rounds. But the last series versus Boston wasn't lost because of him, nor did Thomas clearly outplay him.
Trying to pin the loss of a 7 game series on just one goal is almost as dumb as when I hear Thornton is the reason why they won the cup.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
  #499
Muminek
Registered User
 
Muminek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Poland
Posts: 1,214
vCash: 500
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1405063

No need to thank me, gentlemen. Enjoy!

Muminek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:57 PM
  #500
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW
 
Hannibal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,545
vCash: 500
Guys, the sens troll are out full-force in the Playoff board. They already pisses me off. Anderson is god, Karlson should win the norris every season, they have the best team in the nhl, etc...

**** them. We just need to destroy them.

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.