HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL thread: Esks in camp

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 04:13 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

vCash: 500
Edited out...

Last edited by s7ark: 04-30-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old
04-29-2013, 07:03 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Is there any reason to be talking about Tim Tebow in a CFL thread? Not sure what he has to do with the CFL.
He was released by the Jets yesterday, his CFL rights are owned by the Als, lots of people think he needs to come to the CFL to develop. During the draft, Boomer said that he would come back and be a star if he went to the CFL. So, yes it is relevant.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
He was released by the Jets yesterday, his CFL rights are owned by the Als, lots of people think he needs to come to the CFL to develop. During the draft, Boomer said that he would come back and be a star if he went to the CFL. So, yes it is relevant.
At this point theres as much chance of Santa Claus playing in the CFL.

Tim Tebow isn't a CFL player and never was. Who cares if the Als drafted him either. Not sure how that means anything unless he actually DECIDES to play for the Als at which point maybe theres a point having the conversation.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
Ok, I think we have discussed Tebow and his religion enough. Unless there is some news about him deciding to try to make it in the CFL, let's leave the discussion about him to the Football forums and threads.

Edit: And Jason Collins isn't even a football player, so there is no way a discussion about him is on topic.
Thank you, missed this post before my latest post.

I'd prefer that a CFL thread is about actual CFL news.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:16 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 50
delete

Old
04-30-2013, 10:36 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
Thank you, missed this post before my latest post.

I'd prefer that a CFL thread is about actual CFL news.
Actually I think I jumped the gun a bit. The possibility of former NFL players coming to play in Canada hasn't been considered too far off topic before. It was mostly the discussion about Tebow's religion I was looking to curb, along with the very off topic question about Jason Collins.

So to clarify, if you guys want to talk about the possibility of Tebow coming to the CFL, that is fine. But try to keep the discussion about his religion out of it please.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Actually I think I jumped the gun a bit. The possibility of former NFL players coming to play in Canada hasn't been considered too far off topic before. It was mostly the discussion about Tebow's religion I was looking to curb, along with the very off topic question about Jason Collins.

So to clarify, if you guys want to talk about the possibility of Tebow coming to the CFL, that is fine. But try to keep the discussion about his religion out of it please.
The Tebow camp have expressed zero interest in going to Montreal while the Als have stated they are set, doubt that Tebow would adapt to this league, and are not interested and not making any enquiries.

So again, why this conversation for multiple pages?

Old
04-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
The Tebow camp have expressed zero interest in going to Montreal while the Als have stated they are set, doubt that Tebow would adapt to this league, and are not interested and not making any enquiries.

Because Tebow is/has/always will be all about the hype.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:06 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:

Because there is little else CFL related to talk about. Speculating on which homeless NFLers might consider a trip up north is common in CFL threads around this time of year.

Maybe Montreal trades his rights. Maybe Tebow's camp decides CFL > nothing. Who knows what happens. Hence why the speculation is fine.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:15 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Because there is little else CFL related to talk about. Speculating on which homeless NFLers might consider a trip up north is common in CFL threads around this time of year.

Maybe Montreal trades his rights. Maybe Tebow's camp decides CFL > nothing. Who knows what happens. Hence why the speculation is fine.
What do you mean "who knows" The Als have already weighed in and expressed their views. Tebow ain't coming. Read the papers.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:20 AM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
What do you mean "who knows" The Als have already weighed in and expressed their views. Tebow ain't coming. Read the papers.
Trades for players rights can happen. And just because a teams says something, doesn't make it written in stone.

I am going to allow the Tebow talk Replacement. If you don't like it, I'd advise you stay out of the thread until it passes over.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:14 PM
esks123

Quote:
Hopefully you don't think everything is so "absolute" all the time. The Als expressed their views through the media yesterday that they WOULD be interested in Tebow as a backup if he wanted to come north. Even if they aren't, his CFL rights can be traded. Highly drafted NFL QBs like Akili Smith and Eric Crouch have come to the NFL after having their careers fizzle out early. It is not out of the realm of possibility. If Tebow wants to play football as a QB, it may have to be in the CFL, and it may be a year or two before he starts. ESPN analyst and CFL football fan Chris Berman mentioned during the NFL draft the other day that he feels Tebow should come North for his best shot at reviving his career. A poll on either nfl.com or espn.com had 48% of Americans thinking that Tebow would end up in the CFL next (not another NFL team). A poll on cfl.ca yesterday has something close to 50% believing that Tebow COULD be an effective QB in the CFL.

Not to mention Tebow attended the Eskimos "secret" mini camp in Florida two weeks (according to the Edmonton Sun), with it being unclear whether he participated or not. That definitely shows some type of an interest to me if true.

Tebow is clearly a big topic of discussion right now in the football world and it definitely belongs in a CFL off-season thread. (No different than speculating about European or KHL players who might venture to the NHL). The religious aspect of this does not, as the mod already said.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:32 PM
timekeep

Quote:
"If Tim Tebow wants to come to Canada we'd definitely welcome him," Popp said. "That's why we have him on our neg list and we'd take a look at him and see if he can play in Canada but it would obviously be competing for a backup job."

In case you don't know, Popp, is Jim Popp, GM of the Als. Please re-read the papers. I could see his rights getting traded though.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cf...alouettes.html

Old
04-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by esks123 View Post
Hopefully you don't think everything is so "absolute" all the time. The Als expressed their views through the media yesterday that they WOULD be interested in Tebow as a backup if he wanted to come north. Even if they aren't, his CFL rights can be traded. Highly drafted NFL QBs like Akili Smith and Eric Crouch have come to the NFL after having their careers fizzle out early. It is not out of the realm of possibility. If Tebow wants to play football as a QB, it may have to be in the CFL, and it may be a year or two before he starts. ESPN analyst and CFL football fan Chris Berman mentioned during the NFL draft the other day that he feels Tebow should come North for his best shot at reviving his career. A poll on either nfl.com or espn.com had 48% of Americans thinking that Tebow would end up in the CFL next (not another NFL team). A poll on cfl.ca yesterday has something close to 50% believing that Tebow COULD be an effective QB in the CFL.

Not to mention Tebow attended the Eskimos "secret" mini camp in Florida two weeks (according to the Edmonton Sun), with it being unclear whether he participated or not. That definitely shows some type of an interest to me if true.

Tebow is clearly a big topic of discussion right now in the football world and it definitely belongs in a CFL off-season thread. (No different than speculating about European or KHL players who might venture to the NHL). The religious aspect of this does not, as the mod already said.
well Dave Campbell has a re-tweet of Dave Benefield, suggesting it's not so simple

Quote:
Dave Campbell retweeted
davedbenefield @davedbenefield 18h

Great NCAA qbs r eaten by #CFL Tebow stay away i beg you. Trying to learn to play qb in cfl is like learning 2 drive @daytona or surf @Jaws.
Tebow could make a good fullback, but that's about it.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:04 PM
esks123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
well Dave Campbell has a re-tweet of Dave Benefield, suggesting it's not so simple

Tebow could make a good fullback, but that's about it.
Personally, I doubt that Tebow could be effective in the CFL. The point of my post was just that Tebow to CFL is a legit discussion topic for the time being.

Old
04-30-2013, 03:15 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by esks123 View Post
Personally, I doubt that Tebow could be effective in the CFL. The point of my post was just that Tebow to CFL is a legit discussion topic for the time being.
I doubt he could be an effective Arena League QB.

Old
05-01-2013, 03:03 PM
BleedingOil

Tebow would fail bigtime in the CFL

Old
05-06-2013, 12:19 PM
Beerfish

With the 1st pick of the 2nd round, 10th overall the Edmonton Eskimos select: Stefan Charles - DL - Regina.

This is a risk reward pick as Charles is going to try his luck down south to start.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:20 PM
timekeep

CFL Draft

Ross Shep grad Linden Gaydosh, DL, Calgary Dinos, 6'4", 290, goes first to Hamilton.

Ottawa makes their first pick, Nolan MacMillan, OL, Iowa.

Eskies with no first rounders, but first pick of the second take, Stefan Charles, 6'5", 310, Regina Rams. Only bad thing is that he is signed with the Titans and will be going to their training camp.

Three Dinos in the first round, no Bears.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:22 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
no Bears.
With the quality of the bears teams the last few years it'll be a surprise to see many of any drafted. They have been BRUTAL.

Old
05-06-2013, 12:26 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
With the quality of the bears teams the last few years it'll be a surprise to see many of any drafted. They have been BRUTAL.
Maybe if the University put some money into other sports other than the hockey team, the football team would develop. All the hockey players are on free rides from the WHL and the UofA still give them money.

Old
05-06-2013, 01:28 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
CFL Draft

Ross Shep grad Linden Gaydosh, DL, Calgary Dinos, 6'4", 290, goes first to Hamilton.
The last local lineman drafted first overall by the Ti-Cats worked out well for us, getting him later without having to spend a draft choice.

Old
05-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Beerfish

So far for the Eskimos:

2 (10) Stefan Charles - DT - Regina
3 (24) Kyle Norris - LB - St. Marys
3 (26) Christopher Mercer - OL - Regina
4 (31) Jorgen Hus - LB/LS - Regina
4 (34) Taylor Servais - OL - Ottawa (via trade with Calgary)

Old
05-06-2013, 02:07 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
So far for the Eskimos:

2 (10) Stefan Charles - DT - Regina
3 (24) Kyle Norris - LB - St. Marys
3 (26) Christopher Mercer - OL - Regina
4 (31) Jorgen Hus - LB/LS - Regina
4 (34) Taylor Servais - OL - Ottawa (via trade with Calgary)
What was the deal? Anyone, more knowledgeable then I, know how these guys stack up in terms of helping the team out in the long term?

Old
05-06-2013, 02:14 PM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
What was the deal? Anyone, more knowledgeable then I, know how these guys stack up in terms of helping the team out in the long term?
It was for Etienne Legare(sp). Was expendable because we have solid depth at dl especially after Charles.

Closed Thread