HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Carey Price Discussion Thread (part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-27-2013, 10:01 PM
  #901
ottawa
Avatar of the Year*
 
ottawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orleans
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,495
vCash: 69
Woo, Price played great tonight!


Just kidding, but I was hoping he would have played tonight and gotten the W. Our #1 needs all the confidence he can get going into the playoffs. I honestly have a good feeling about Price this post-season, I hope he proves me right.

__________________
http://img63.photobucket.com/albums/v191/SpiderManNL/24cups.gif
ottawa is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:00 PM
  #902
Frank Drebin
Registered User
 
Frank Drebin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottawa View Post
Woo, Price played great tonight!


Just kidding, but I was hoping he would have played tonight and gotten the W. Our #1 needs all the confidence he can get going into the playoffs. I honestly have a good feeling about Price this post-season, I hope he proves me right.
I think he'll be fine too.

Frank Drebin is offline  
Old
04-27-2013, 11:49 PM
  #903
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty
 
Born in 1909's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Montreal
Posts: 5,963
vCash: 500
I'd start Budaj vs. the Leafs.

Born in 1909 is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 01:37 AM
  #904
pine*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,339
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
I'd start Budaj vs. the Leafs.
Okay

pine* is offline  
Old
04-28-2013, 11:01 AM
  #905
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 28,181
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born in 1909 View Post
I'd start Budaj vs. the Leafs.
Start, like game 1? Don't know about that, big guy. Wouldn't hesitate to bring him in, though. He has only started against the Leafs twice in a Habs uniform (came in to stop 22/24 in relief of Price's 1/4 start earlier this month, too), but stopped 68/72 shots in those two games, picking up two wins in the process, so you'd assume he has some confidence against them.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 04:50 PM
  #906
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,355
vCash: 500
Dave Nonis called Price among the best, if not the best goalie in the league.

Silly GM of a professional hockey team. What does he know ?

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 04:54 PM
  #907
Habtchum*
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 2,723
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Dave Nonis called Price among the best, if not the best goalie in the league.

Silly GM of a professional hockey team. What does he know ?
Was he saying that before knowing against whom his team would play ?


I am sure he wanted the Habs to start Price in net if the two teams would have met.

Habtchum* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 04:55 PM
  #908
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese View Post
Was he saying that before knowing against whom his team would play ?


I am sure he wanted the Habs to start Price in net if the two teams would have met.
He said it today. Crazy how GM's keep repeating it. I heard that he is mediocre on HF. Hmmm...

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 04:56 PM
  #909
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!
 
hototogisu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,914
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Dave Nonis called Price among the best, if not the best goalie in the league.

Silly GM of a professional hockey team. What does he know ?
Price is least respected among his own team's fanbase, that much seems obvious.

hototogisu is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 04:58 PM
  #910
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Dave Nonis called Price among the best, if not the best goalie in the league.

Silly GM of a professional hockey team. What does he know ?
He's not a particularly good GM, look, Price's age/potential to be the best probably makes him one of the most logical players to have at the position, however, he is not anywhere close to the best goalie in the league, he might be someday, but that day is not here yet.

Having said that, I wouldn't trade price for the other goalies who out perform him, their either older, on more defensive oriented teams and so on. Price is the guy going forward and most GM's if they had him wouldn't trade him for anyone else at the position, but he is not the best goalie in the league, never has been. It's not even up for debate. Nothing he has done warrants being the top goalie in the league.

habsfanatics* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 04:58 PM
  #911
HeShootsHeScores
Registered User
 
HeShootsHeScores's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,789
vCash: 500
Weather you're a Price fan or not, these playoffs will give us the opportunity to evaluate him. And this time we shouldn't talk about "potential". It's gonna be about results and numbers.

Now is the perfect time for him to show what he is capable of (or not).

HeShootsHeScores is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 04:58 PM
  #912
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,944
vCash: 500
How there's still a discussion about the guy is beyond me. Some people have an unhealthy obsession.

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:02 PM
  #913
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Price is least respected among his own team's fanbase, that much seems obvious.
Strongly disagree, he won the Molson cup award while being outplayed by his counterpart. There are strong opinions on both sides, many of them illogical, but Price is one of the most protected players the Habs have had in recent memory. From management all the way down to the fans.

When someone says that he isn't the best goalie in the league or even top 5, people get offended, no one here is saying he's terrible, well, there might be a few, but they're are also some who wanted our Norris caliber defensemen traded, DD, pleks is a bum ect. It's a large fan base, many are pretty good at evaluating talent and many wouldn't know a good hockey player if they fell over one, the situation isn't any different here than anywhere else, there's just more of us.

habsfanatics* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:03 PM
  #914
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan
 
Dr Gonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bat Country
Posts: 4,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
He's not a particularly good GM, look, Price's age/potential to be the best probably makes him one of the most logical players to have at the position, however, he is not anywhere close to the best goalie in the league, he might be someday, but that day is not here yet. .
He's a GM of an NHL hockey team, obviously his opinion carries a fair amount of weight compared to others, but I don't necessarily think he's the best goalie in the league either. Was just posting a juxtaposition to the "Make or break!" crowd.

It's nothing new though, as someone on twitter pointed out, Habs fans have never been rational regarding goaltending. Roy was under fire after two SCFs, a Cup and 3 Vezinas. And before anyone gets their panties into a bunch, I am not, I repeat, not comparing Price to Roy.

Dr Gonzo is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:05 PM
  #915
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
How there's still a discussion about the guy is beyond me. Some people have an unhealthy obsession.
Discussing the habs number one goalie and potential franchise player doesn't make anyone obsessed. We're fans, and this is what the forum is for.

habsfanatics* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:09 PM
  #916
Price My Man Crush
Registered User
 
Price My Man Crush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 4,830
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
Weather you're a Price fan or not, these playoffs will give us the opportunity to evaluate him. And this time we shouldn't talk about "potential". It's gonna be about results and numbers.

Now is the perfect time for him to show what he is capable of (or not).
I still don't wanna see that **** during the playoffs whatever happens with his performances:

Price My Man Crush is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:10 PM
  #917
68*
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Mount Olympus
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Dave Nonis called Price among the best, if not the best goalie in the league.

Silly GM of a professional hockey team. What does he know ?
A former Habs GM and former player in the HHoF once called Price a thoroughbred. That same GM traded McDonagh for Gomez.

Now I'm not a Price hater, I just wanna remind people that even these professionals can make mistakes when analyzing a player. (talking of Gomez-McDonagh, not Price)

68* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:10 PM
  #918
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,944
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Discussing the habs number one goalie and potential franchise player doesn't make anyone obsessed. We're fans, and this is what the forum is for.
No, I'm talking about the needless bashing, teenage drama queen angst and constant second-guessing, which is simply mind-boggling and for some reason, the majority of the posts concerning him (along with the rebuttals).

Em Ancien is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:11 PM
  #919
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
He's a GM of an NHL hockey team, obviously his opinion carries a fair amount of weight compared to others, but I don't necessarily think he's the best goalie in the league either. Was just posting a juxtaposition to the "Make or break!" crowd.

It's nothing new though, as someone on twitter pointed out, Habs fans have never been rational regarding goaltending. Roy was under fire after two SCFs, a Cup and 3 Vezinas. And before anyone gets their panties into a bunch, I am not, I repeat, not comparing Price to Roy.
I realize your not, which is fine. I find it rather annoying that if we judge his actual performances and admit to him not playing good, it somehow equates to being a hater or bla bla bla. Nothing wrong with saying he needs to be better when it's obvious to everyone including Carey himself. He hit a rough patch and has had a tendency to struggle a bit in the past, to say it's not a bit worrisome is completely ignoring reality imo.

I get equally frustrated when those on the other side of debate want to trade him ect over a slump, but I find those posters to be a huge minority and once they say things like that it makes me take their opinions a lot less seriously in other discussions. Trade him, really. Like seriously? Every GM has one thing in common, they would love to have him. I don't however, take anyone serious who suggests he is currently the best in the league, he isn't.

habsfanatics* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:11 PM
  #920
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 37,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Gonzo View Post
Dave Nonis called Price among the best, if not the best goalie in the league.

Silly GM of a professional hockey team. What does he know ?
The other day, two analysts on the NHL network said that before his late season swoon he was their choice for Vezina. He's well respected across the league but here we don't know how good we have it. One analyst phrased it as: 'When Montreal wins it's because their playing well and when they lose it's always Carey Price's fault. He's a great goalie and it seems the fans don't always recognize this.'

I sincerely hope he has a good round because if he doesn't the haters will freak out and it won't surprise me in the least if we get to watch his prime years somewhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I realize your not, which is fine. I find it rather annoying that if we judge his actual performances and admit to him not playing good, it somehow equates to being a hater or bla bla bla. Nothing wrong with saying he needs to be better when it's obvious to everyone including Carey himself. He hit a rough patch and has had a tendency to struggle a bit in the past, to say it's not a bit worrisome is completely ignoring reality imo.

I get equally frustrated when those on the other side of debate want to trade him ect over a slump, but I find those posters to be a huge minority and once they say things like that it makes me take their opinions a lot less seriously in other discussions. Trade him, really. Like seriously? Every GM has one thing in common, they would love to have him. I don't however, take anyone serious who suggests he is currently the best in the league, he isn't.
We all saw the TSN poll where Price was the choice for Vezina winner in the East. That vote came after the TO blowout but before the next four or five games of suckage.


Last edited by Lafleurs Guy: 04-29-2013 at 05:16 PM.
Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:15 PM
  #921
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The other day, two analysts on the NHL network said that before his late season swoon he was their choice for Vezina. He's well respected across the league but here we don't know how good we have it. One analyst phrased it as: 'When Montreal wins it's because their playing well and when they lose it's always Carey Price's fault. He's a great goalie and it seems the fans don't always recognize this.'

I sincerely hope he has a good round because if he doesn't the haters will freak out and it won't surprise me in the least if we get to watch his prime years somewhere else.
Luckily I don't think management will make decisions based on the reaction of fair-weather fans.

habsfanatics* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:18 PM
  #922
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 37,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Luckily I don't think management will make decisions based on the reaction of fair-weather fans.
Players sometimes take matters into their own hands. Mahovolich did, Roy did and we all saw what happened with Larry Murphy. If the boos reign down we could lose him.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:20 PM
  #923
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 5,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
The other day, two analysts on the NHL network said that before his late season swoon he was their choice for Vezina. He's well respected across the league but here we don't know how good we have it. One analyst phrased it as: 'When Montreal wins it's because their playing well and when they lose it's always Carey Price's fault. He's a great goalie and it seems the fans don't always recognize this.'

I sincerely hope he has a good round because if he doesn't the haters will freak out and it won't surprise me in the least if we get to watch his prime years somewhere else.

We all saw the TSN poll where Price was the choice for Vezina winner in the East. That vote came after the TO blowout but before the next four or five games of suckage.
Sure, it's a good thing the Vezina isn't picked until the season is over. Now he's not even remotely in the conversation. These little sound bites don't mean a whole lot.

habsfanatics* is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:22 PM
  #924
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,897
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeShootsHeScores View Post
Weather you're a Price fan or not, these playoffs will give us the opportunity to evaluate him. And this time we shouldn't talk about "potential". It's gonna be about results and numbers.

Now is the perfect time for him to show what he is capable of (or not).
Problem with this craptastic logic is that you only have 2 possibilities, win the series = price good, lose the series = price bad. I'm thankfull the pros who run the leagues and other institutions in the world don't apply this primitive thinking process.

uiCk is offline  
Old
04-29-2013, 05:27 PM
  #925
Lafleurs Guy
Moderator
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 37,788
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Sure, it's a good thing the Vezina isn't picked until the season is over. Now he's not even remotely in the conversation. These little sound bites don't mean a whole lot.
Of course it does. The guy's a great goalie, his own fanbase may not be able to see it but others can. Every goalie goes through rough patches but Price for the most part has been immune to this. He's been rock solid for a couple of years now.

Yeah, his slump wrecked any chance at winning (Bryz would've won anyway) but it doesn't take away from the fact that folks saw this season as being strong.

Dismiss it if you wish but goaltending stats aren't the same as point getters. One or two bad games can make you look a lot worse than you are. I'm fine going in with Price against any goalie in the league. He'll lead a team to a cup someday, I just hope it's us.

Lafleurs Guy is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.