HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: What WILL Mac-T do with the pick?

View Poll Results: What will the Oilers do with the pick?
Stay at #7 127 46.01%
Move up 26 9.42%
Move down 22 7.97%
Trade it for immediate help 101 36.59%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 04:19 PM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

vCash: 500
Trade Rumours and Proposals Thread: What WILL Mac-T do with the pick?

Last thread passed 1000,

Here are some posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
These are from Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts.

22. Oilers GM Craig MacTavish, asked if he sees Taylor Hall as a winger or a centre: "We wanted to try him at centre this season, but aside from some faceoff work when Ryan Nugent-Hopkins struggled, it never materialized ... Terry O'Reilly always used to tell me, 'Position is just a place where you line up when they drop the puck.' Taylor covers a lot of ice from the wing."

23. MacTavish had another good quote: "My vision of the team will be very obvious very quickly." He pointed to Montreal as a team he hoped to emulate. It's tough to make trades right after the season because you can't deal with anyone in the playoffs and those who are out of it prefer to decompress before making important decisions. It's a good thing he was at the under-18s in Russia because this week's been a nightmare.

24. MacTavish did not specifically address Oscar Klefbom, but the sense is the Oilers consider the left-shooting defensive prospect an untouchable. I also think they are realistic about his impact, especially after Justin Schultz's late-season struggles. They believe he can be a top-pairing blue-liner, but maybe not for two years.

25. Finally, Edmonton is going to try and upgrade in goal. Devan Dubnyk's held them in a lot more games than the Oilers deserve, but they don't have much throughout the organization. I wouldn't be surprised to see them chase guys who can help them in both the NHL and AHL.

I am surprised and happy that MacT is looking for an upgrade in goal. I hope they get it, Dubnyk has played good this year but really needs to improve his rebound control. I don't see him being the answer next year..

Also to "emulate" Montreal seemed interesting to me... I am also glad that they are looking at Klefbom as a couple years away from playing big minutes. I would hate to see him get thrown to the wolves his first year in the NHL. They need to ease him into things.

I also wonder if they start Hall at centre starting at the beginning of training camp (Hall said if he was going to try it, he would want to do it from the start of the year).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
What do Oilers fans think of a Hemsky for Derek Morris deal?

Coyotes need help at forward and Hemsky would be one of their top powerplay options.

Oilers gain a reliable 20 minute a night 2nd pairing quality veteran dman, save 2.25 million in cap space and opens up a spot for a more robust winger to be inserted into the lineup.

Both players are UFAs after next season.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Teams I think might want a shake up

Couturier for EDM 7th (Darnell Nurse), I think they want Nurse bad and then can pick Gauthier with their selection to replace Couturier in the long run.

Sam Gagner for Dustin Byfuglien. I think Winnipeg wants to shake things up also.

Ales Hemsky for Steve Ott, we agree to eat some of Hemsky's contract. Vanek is sniffing for an out, perhaps getting more skilled vets around him will settle him down and Ott has butted heads with the fanbase.

I'd sign Clutterbuck for sure, though it'd be kinda funny with him here after the Taylor Hall thing. I'd sign Brian McGratton too.

Amnesty Horcoff (bye) and sign Streit on a short term, but top heavy contract. I'd bring back Jones just because he's cheap and I think he just had an off-year.

Hall RNH Eberle
MPS Couturier Yakupov
Clutterbuck Ott Jones
Smyth Lander Brown
McGratton

Streit Buff
Smid J. Schultz
Petry N. Schultz
Klefbom

Definitely isn't a non-physical team. I don't think they will get rid of Smyth even though they probably should. Who knows maybe he scores the goal that clinches a playoff berth next year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I don't mind those moves, I wonder though, how will Buff be treated here given Kruger's feelings on guys and their commitment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
If Buffalo is getting rid of Vanek and Miller, they won't be getting Hemsky.
Quote:
Actually I could see Hemsky making sense in that situation too, they're going to need some skill coming back that has some experience.

We may have to eat some of Hemsky's salary though, but he can be a good winger for say Grigorenko.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilmoose View Post
I like that line up. Even McGratton. Yes Smyth could be a good playoff guy again (one last time?) and potentially score a huge goal for us. I could see that.
Quote:
Not for Ott though. You don't move Ott for 1 year of Hemsky. Someone will offer up a 1st+ which at this point is exactly what Buffalo needs. Hemsky should cost them a 2nd round pick.
Quote:
I don't think Philli does this... Also I don't know if Edmonton does it either... Which makes me think it makes sense

Sean didn't improve from last year.. He actually stayed the exact same for points wise if you pro rate his 15 point to 82 games (27pts).

But he has a pretty bad plus minus as compared to his rookie year...I don't know if this is because he played harder competition?

I do like how he played against Malkin in last years playoffs but it could of just been a glimpse
Quote:
Ott only has 1 year on his deal too and didn't exactly have a great year (Hemsky honestly was better last year).
Quote:
Can you explain how a player who had more points and plays in all situations had a worse year then Hemsky who only plays in one zone?

Ott was Buffalo's #1 used player last year, he isn't getting dealt for injury prone Hemsky regardless of how much of his salary you keep.
Quote:
I'd go get Vanek (if the price was right) to play in the top-6, he may not be a "banger" but he's a big body who can play like it and score.
Quote:
Ott and Hemsky are different players, Ott was added I think when Buffalo felt like they'd be gearing up for playoff runs and needed center depth.

But since drafting Grigorenko and Grigsens and possibly heading into a rebuild, he may be expendable.

There was also the whole thing where he got into a media thing with the fanbase which leads me to think his time there is nearing an end.

I'll grant you we may have to add.
Quote:
I would like to see Cal Clutterbuk, Max Talbot, Bryan Bickell and Victor Stahlberg being targets for the Oilers this summer.

If they can get 3 of these guys for the bottom six I would be happy in regards to addressing the bottom six.

Resign Jones as well to low money.

Clutterbuk-Horcoff-Stahlberg
Smyth/Jones-Talbot-Bickell
Lander

I don't know how often this group will drop the gloves but they would be hard to play against and give our top 6 some depth if need be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
You can't just sign Clutterbuck when he's an RFA - unless you're willing to offer-sheet him.

Also - if Philly is looking to grab Nurse, they aren't going to throw away Couturier on the 7th unless Nurse magically falls down to that spot. I say they gun for 5th-6th instead to ensure that they get him.
Quote:
Ott probably is expendable and more then likely dealt by next year's TDD at the latest. But they'll want futures, not a guy who more then likely is only there for one year.
Quote:
Carolina is likely the only other team that would pick Nurse in the top 7 IMO, and they already have a better version of Couturier (at least for now) in Jordan Staal. If they pick Nurse, they'll likely keep him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
Would love to get Vanek but this isn't a guy we need. I would rather target Miller.
Quote:
I'd love to grab Vanek, but it doesn't make sense to me. He's going to be something like 6mil a year if not more and is going to want 7 years next summer. Can't lock into that. The price to get him just for one year wouldn't be worth it. Unless somehow he agrees to a 5x5 deal before you deal for him.
Quote:
Of the two of them, the Oilers need Vanek ALOT more then Miller
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
Vanek is just another scoring winger. He isn't the powerforward type winger we are looking for. I'm not sold on Dubnyk, he just isn't that good of a goalie IMO and Miller could be the type of goalie that could steal us games and get us to the playoffs. We need Miller a lot more. There is a reason why even management isn't completely sold on Dubnyk.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:26 PM
DousedInOil

I like Vanek but his cap hit would kill this team. I'd rather sign Horton to be honest. We don't exactly need the scoring, he would be less of a cap hit and wouldn't cost anything to give up. Not sure If Horton would sign here though.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:35 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I like Vanek but his cap hit would kill this team. I'd rather sign Horton to be honest. We don't exactly need the scoring, he would be less of a cap hit and wouldn't cost anything to give up. Not sure If Horton would sign here though.
And can we just stop pretending that management doesn't believe in Dubnyk, certain fans are not infact management, and this team doesn't NEED Ryan Miller anymore then it Needs Linus Omark.

Yes, the cap hit is a killer, I don't dispute that.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Shanahanigans

What do you guys think about targeting Shattenkirk from the Blues? He's essentially a top pairing Dman, although undersized at 5-11. Him and Pietrangelo are both RFA's this year on the back end, along with Stewart, Berglund and a couple of other Blues. By all accounts, Blues are a budget team and not a cap team, so I can't see them paying 3 Dmen over 6 million dollars next year. They already have their top pairing set with Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo. thoughts?

Old
04-29-2013, 04:45 PM
Joey Moss

Ugh. Not happy Smyth will be back. Where do you put him when he's barely a roster player on this team that is supposedly going to have major changes in the off-season? Does he take a role as a Press Box player who jumps in every once in a while? Doubt it..

MacTavish confirmed we should see around 8 new players next season.. doesn't seem like there will be that many spots available to me. I think Hemsky is guaranteed to be traded. Belanger, Jones, Smithson, Petrell?, Whitney, Peckham, Potter (please), Fistric?, Khabibulin will all be gone.

So..

Hall - Nuge - Yak
xxx - Gagner? - Eberle
Paajarvi - Horcoff? - xxx
Smyth - xxx - Brown
xxx - xxx (Petrell)

xxx - J. Schultz
Smid - Petry
Klefbom - N. Schultz?
xxx (Fistric)

Dubnyk
xxx

The question marks are maybe the bolder moves Mac was referring to. A Horcoff buyout, or a Nick Schultz trade seem the most likely to me. The way he was talking about Gagner today makes me believe he'll be back.

Really tough to predict what will happen. I don't think there's any doubt Belanger, Jones, Whitney, Peckham, Khabibulin, Hemsky, Smithson, and one of Potter or Fistric will be gone, however.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:46 PM
dixs35

vCash: 50
Just listening to Gregor, he had a reporter on from Colorado who basically said the Avs are going all in on Jones. Lets say they miss out on him would you pitch Klefbom + for their pick. It would guarantee Mac or Barkov. It would also allow you to move Gagner or the 7th or whatever to fill out other holes on the roster.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:01 PM
belair

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Just listening to Gregor, he had a reporter on from Colorado who basically said the Avs are going all in on Jones. Lets say they miss out on him would you pitch Klefbom + for their pick. It would guarantee Mac or Barkov. It would also allow you to move Gagner or the 7th or whatever to fill out other holes on the roster.
I don't think there's a chance in hell we move Klefbom.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:03 PM
armandh01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
What do you guys think about targeting Shattenkirk from the Blues? He's essentially a top pairing Dman, although undersized at 5-11. Him and Pietrangelo are both RFA's this year on the back end, along with Stewart, Berglund and a couple of other Blues. By all accounts, Blues are a budget team and not a cap team, so I can't see them paying 3 Dmen over 6 million dollars next year. They already have their top pairing set with Bouwmeester and Pietrangelo. thoughts?
I think if Philly offersheets Piet, we should offersheet Shat, maybe 5 mill for an offersheet. He's small in height but is 207lbs on NHL.com. Maybe sign FA like Leopold. May have to trade some existing D though to free up spots.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:03 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Nope, I wouldn't. Klefbom simply has too much potential. We need quality D men as much as we need a big forward, probably more .

Old
04-29-2013, 05:12 PM
SterlingArcher

So if canes sit at 5 and they want nurse could we not trade up and gaurntees us getting Monahan and the having a shot at Barkov? If they are really set on nurse or something what could we offer a second? A prospect like gernat?

Old
04-29-2013, 05:19 PM
tv14

I would prefer to move our 1st with other pieces for an immediate impact player (like Carter/Staal deals last year) as I think this would go a long way to helping us improve immediately. With the quality and quantity of draft picks we've had in recent years I definitely think we can afford to lose a couple and I think now is the time to do it.

As for moving down, if we can't find a trade for immediate help I wouldn't be totally against it. I'm not too familiar with this years draft, so I can't really comment. Is there a drop off after the top picks? If so it might not be a bad idea to move down a couple if they feel there isn't much separation in the middle of the round. However as I stated before, I believe now is the time to move picks, as I think we should be done stock-piling them.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:22 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
If anything, if they're desperate for Jones, and the Oilers end up with 1st overall, give Sherman a call, say hey we've got this pick if you want it.

To COL: 1st Overall, Hemsky and Potter

To EDM: Duchene and Wilson

Old
04-29-2013, 05:26 PM
BowDangles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
I would prefer to move our 1st with other pieces for an immediate impact player (like Carter/Staal deals last year) as I think this would go a long way to helping us improve immediately. With the quality and quantity of draft picks we've had in recent years I definitely think we can afford to lose a couple and I think now is the time to do it.

As for moving down, if we can't find a trade for immediate help I wouldn't be totally against it. I'm not too familiar with this years draft, so I can't really comment. Is there a drop off after the top picks? If so it might not be a bad idea to move down a couple if they feel there isn't much separation in the middle of the round. However as I stated before, I believe now is the time to move picks, as I think we should be done stock-piling them.
I 100% agree with your first point and 100% disagree with your second.

Trading down out of the top ten is disastrous. If they can't find a trading partner for their 7th overall than they should just use the pick to draft the BPA.

Than if you still have holes comes later in the summer once free agency is over you can look at trading that 7th overall prospect.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:28 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Personally, I'd like to package our 1st+other pieces for a big second line forward or impact dman.

If we can't do so, I'd like to see us hold onto our pick and draft 7th or wherever we end up.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:40 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
they dont want a top D prospect... They want Seth Jones.
Klefbom's father did not play for Denver Nuggets nor did Klefa grew up in Denver Colorado..

Its like the whole Lecavalier\MTL dream. (or Doan to EDM)

Old
04-29-2013, 05:58 PM
Koto

Quote:
If anything, if they're desperate for Jones, and the Oilers end up with 1st overall, give Sherman a call, say hey we've got this pick if you want it.

To COL: 1st Overall, Hemsky and Potter

To EDM: Duchene and Wilson
uhhhhhhhhhhhhh......no.

hell no.

keep jones. thats a brutal trade.

outside of winning the lotto, only way COL gets jones: FLA wins lottery, wants mack instead-willing to pick at 1, or trade to 2 for cheap.

its not like they can be offering the pick+anyone good. so unless its just another later pick, its not happening.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:00 PM
dixs35

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Klefbom's father did not play for Denver Nuggets nor did Klefa grew up in Denver Colorado..

Sure there is that. He alluded to the fact that Johnson has progressed to where they thought he'd be. It has more to do with Johnson than legacy, but I see what you're getting at.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:25 PM
DousedInOil

Not that it's going to happen, but I'm glad MacT basically said they would draft Jones given the opportunity and that you would be crazy to trade the pick.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:28 PM
DousedInOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
I've likes Shattenkirk ever since his draft year and was pretty upset when he went 1 pick before us in 2007. I'm not sure what the Blues would want for him though. He's a right handed dman so I'm not entirely sure acquiring him should be a top priority.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:42 PM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post

It'd be interesting how bad they want him if we win the lottery.

I'd do our 1st (Jones) + Gagner for Erik Johnson + their 1st (Nathan MacKinnon?).

Old
04-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Paralyzer008

Hope with MacT here is:

A) Klefbom and Marincin come into training camp but Edmonton still vastly improves their D.

B) Goalie depth potential doesn't mean a Miller or a Smith, more of a Khudobin or an Emery.

C) Toughness means a player who can play who is also tough, not just a scrub.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:46 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
Not that it's going to happen, but I'm glad MacT basically said they would draft Jones given the opportunity and that you would be crazy to trade the pick.
I dunno that it's crazy to trade the pick. Just with the fact that Jones' dad was a big name NBA player ups his hype/value to American teams greatly. It wouldn't surprise me if an owner of an American team who has low attendance/revenue forces his GMs hand with regards to a trade. Quite possible there could be an overpayment there.

You've gotta be willing to listen, and make the deal if it's there.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:57 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I would be all over RFA players this offseason. Teams are going to be strapped for cash with the change in salary cap, so we can take advantage of guys who have been bought out via compliance buy out and players on their RFA. I don't want to trade this years pick because of how strong the draft is, but I'm fine moving future picks (RFA compensation) for sure.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:03 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
It'd be interesting how bad they want him if we win the lottery.

I'd do our 1st (Jones) + Gagner for Erik Johnson + their 1st (Nathan MacKinnon?).
I'd do that.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Bergeron47

Guess the Avs are getting Jones for free

Closed Thread