HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jack Johnson Available Per TSN

Old
09-14-2006, 12:50 PM
frozenrubber

vCash: 500
Jack Johnson Available Per TSN

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177467&hubname=

Not only does it give the rumor that Jack Johnson is available more credability, they start throwing around Marc Staal's name.

Obviously a lot has happened since draft day, would everyone make a deal for Johnson for Staal straight up or who needs to ante in this trade?

frozenrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 12:55 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=177467&hubname=

Not only does it give the rumor that Jack Johnson is available more credability, they start throwing around Marc Staal's name.

Obviously a lot has happened since draft day, would everyone make a deal for Johnson for Staal straight up or who needs to ante in this trade?
Not sure how Staal solves their problem. If Kaberle is out for the season, why would they deal a prospect defenseman for a prospect defenseman? The only way that makes sense is if the Rangers are adding in an NHL-ready defenseman in any potential deal. Would you trade Rozsival and Staal for Johnson? Not sure I would.

09-14-2006, 12:56 PM
Geogaddi

I myself am Very happy with Staal's Progression since we have drafted him. They are both in an equal value right now, where not either really towers over the other in Potential. Jack Johnson is no Joke either, and i like the fact that he's staying in college for atleast another year, very smart on his part.

Just really dont see a Prospect for Prospect trade right now. If Carolina is going to deal JJ, then its for a Premier D-man. I see carolina looking for a person that is ready right now. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Geogaddi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:02 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
I myself am Very happy with Staal's Progression since we have drafted him. They are both in an equal value right now, where not either really towers over the other in Potential. Jack Johnson is no Joke either, and i like the fact that he's staying in college for atleast another year, very smart on his part.

Just really dont see a Prospect for Prospect trade right now. If Carolina is going to deal JJ, then its for a Premier D-man. I see carolina looking for a person that is ready right now. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.
hmm yea maybe we can deal them Rozsival. Id rather have Staal than Johnson. I wonder how much more to Rozsival we have to add to get Andrew Ladd.

Rozsival, Immonen and Betts for Andrew Ladd and Kevyn Adams???

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:06 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post
hmm yea maybe we can deal them Rozsival. Id rather have Staal than Johnson. I wonder how much more to Rozsival we have to add to get Andrew Ladd.

I think you forgot Pock and Hossa...

Son of Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:07 PM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
i bet theyd rather have immonen and betts than pock and hossa. maybe we can move them for cooke or something.

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:08 PM
Capitain Midnight
Trust me, I'm a doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner View Post
she forgot to include the rights to....errrrrrrr....a signed Rachunek.

Capitain Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:12 PM
Edge

When all is said and done I see Johnson going to Pitts.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:12 PM
UAGoalieGuy

if there was a way to go after J. Johnson without giving up Staal or Sanguenetti I'd jump all over it..I don't think the Rangers have anything to offer for a Dman the calibre of JJ...wishful thinking though...

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Edge

The only way a team gets Johnson is if they give up a bluechip prospect on the same level or give up a star player.

I don't see the Rangers doing that.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:23 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post

I still see Johnson as having more lustre as a prospect than Staal, he's a much more dynamic player. That's not to say Staal's a chump or won't be a very good NHL defenseman, but all things considered equal, most GM's (IMO) would probably go with Johnson over Staal. That being said, I would think Carolina would do that kind a deal in a second, especially if the Rangers throw in a mid-range prospect.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:29 PM
Larry Melnyk

Given the Rangers need for a top D-man for many years to come, there aren't many prospects I would trade Staal for, but Jack Johnson is one of them...Liked him better at draft time and he has progressed well (as has Staal) and have no problem with his stand on college..

Larry Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:29 PM
frozenrubber

The crux of the rumor is Jack Johnson will not sign this year. Staal has and will report to the NHL.

I have no doubt Staal has made the strides last year to be a top 6 this year (not top 4 however). In Staal they get a prospect w/ great upside (that may be equal to Johnsons - not in physicality, but overall talent) that can play this year.

Old
09-14-2006, 01:32 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

At the 2005 draft,Carolina's scouting staff had a heated debate on whether to take Jack Johnson or Marc Staal.Some scouts wanted Johnson and some wanted Staal

TSN is just speculating about Marc Staal going to Carolina after all of the rumors of Jordan Staal going to Carolina to join big brother Eric

What is Johnson doing in college?He has a chance to play in the NHL and he is playing college hockey

That stupid CBA clause about college seniors becoming free agents after August 15 comes into play with Johnson.What prevents Johnson from staying at Michigan for all four years and then becomes a free agent?Nothing

Pass

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:32 PM
Ola

Jack Johnsson over Marc Staal?

Gooing from the little I've seen of Johnsson, compared to what Staal have shown I am defenitly not sold on making that trade. I also love Marc's attitude and poise on the ice. Sure Johnson's attributes are great, but after seeing Marc Staal in preseason last season I am not sure if I would trade him for anyone, except a Crosby or Ovechkin. Staal might, and I mean MIGHT, not have the outstanding attributes, that would allow him to compete for a Norris Trophy. But the way he handles every situations that are put infront of him is so darn impressive. And he still moved like a teenager in last seasons camp. When this kid is done growing I am sold on him becomming a rock solid hockeyplayer in the NHL.

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:34 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Perry Pearn compared Marc Staal to Wade Redden.Pearn coached Redden in Ottawa

Old
09-14-2006, 01:36 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

they will get a better offer elsewhere...

Rather hold onto our Staal to land the older Staal down the road. If they really want to play together let it be on Broadway

09-14-2006, 01:37 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

If Carolina wants a defenseman,maybe they will put in a call for Aaron Ward

Old
09-14-2006, 01:39 PM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
Staal has done nothing but live up to his hype so far. He battled in camp last year, and he will again this year. No reason to go make a bold trade just to make one. Everytime a name is throw out there a lot of people want the rangers to go back to 1999 and start making crazy moves, its just silly. Running this organization conservatively since 2004 is the best thing thats happened since Mike Richter was born

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:39 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall18NYR View Post

Er, not to be picky, but the rumor (and thread) is about Johnson being available - and he's not even in this proposal!

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:45 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Er, not to be picky, but the rumor (and thread) is about Johnson being available - and he's not even in this proposal!
Don't let the facts get in the way

Old
09-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Nich

Rosi and Hossa for Johnson and a 2nd round choice!!!

Nich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:52 PM
free0717

how about OZO for JJ. And the Rangers will throw in a Bag of Pucks

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:55 PM
shoothepuck

Staal is available now, and let's see how he does in camp. No reason to trade him and then wait on Johnson.

shoothepuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2006, 01:57 PM
frozenrubber

Marc Staal aside, the Rangers are in a very interesting situation. With a top 6 basically set for this season, they could trade a "Staal" like player for Johnson and having no problem waiting another year for JJ. That leaves them with no problem in sacrificing this season while trading a player of Staal's talent/potential. There aren't a lot of teams that can do this without negatively affecting their 06-07 roster.

As it now stands, it appears that Marc Staal has 1A defensemen written all over him. However, Jack Johnson is a protypical, franchise #1 defensemen. I'm not sure it's worth the risk, but it is a very tempting and interesting option.