HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > HFNHL Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
HFNHL Talk HFNHL is a full-simulation fantasy league that uses the FHL simulator to determine the outcome of games over a full 82-game season.

UDFA Signing Freeze

Old
04-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
UDFA Signing Freeze

Gentleman,

I've heard through the grapevine that there have been a lot of offers lately for UDFA's.

Just a reminder that there is a signing freeze in effect for such players until the offseason, as of the HFNHL trade deadline.

With a slew of new GM's, I suppose this was something that should have been posted following the deadline. It's been one of those rules we've had for a while that I suppose we assume most people know about. It's to prevent the signing of College and European free agents, who get NHL deals at the conclusion of their seasons.

Also, just something else to think about. As of next season, there will be a signing restriction placed on CHL overagers during the HFNHL regular season. Previously (including this season) we have allowed this. After some discussion, we've decided to include them in the same vein as College free agents and make them only available during the HFNHL offseason.

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 05:59 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Does this apply to offers that were submitted before the deadline on which a decision hasn't yet been made?

Vikes88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 06:51 PM
MatthewFlames

Send a message via AIM to MatthewFlames Send a message via MSN to MatthewFlames Send a message via Yahoo to MatthewFlames Send a message via Skype™ to MatthewFlames
If offers were in at the deadline that's fine

MatthewFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:09 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewFlames View Post
If offers were in at the deadline that's fine
Thanks. I'll wait to hear from those.

As a note, though, I should note that there are some serious issues with how this is being implemented. When I first joined this league, I was warned that the rule book was out of date, and should not be totally relied upon. Now, there is an acknowledgement that new GMs should have been told about a rule, but weren't. Indeed, under "Free Agents and Contracts" in the rule book, this one appears nowhere. In fact, it says:

"Teams can re-sign a potential free agent anytime during the season."

Even if I had relied on the unreliable information, I had zero inkling that my planning had to take this never-before-broadcasted rule into consideration.

Assuming is flat out not good enough in a context where the rule book isn't an up-to-date piece of information. because now it has created an unfair playing field where my re-signing and financial strategy would have absolutely been different. I expected better.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:40 PM
Brock
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes88 View Post

As a note, though, I should note that there are some serious issues with how this is being implemented. When I first joined this league, I was warned that the rule book was out of date, and should not be totally relied upon. Now, there is an acknowledgement that new GMs should have been told about a rule, but weren't. Indeed, under "Free Agents and Contracts" in the rule book, this one appears nowhere. In fact, it says:

Even if I had relied on the unreliable information, I had zero inkling that my planning had to take this never-before-broadcasted rule into consideration.

Assuming is flat out not good enough in a context where the rule book isn't an up-to-date piece of information. because now it has created an unfair playing field where my re-signing and financial strategy would have absolutely been different. I expected better.
Mike,

You can re-sign players at any time, as the rulebook states (and the rule you quoted).

I think you might be confused...

This posting refers to HFNHL free agents (as in players whose rights are not owned by an HFNHL team yet). UDFA stands for Un-drafted free agent. For example, Carl Soderberg was a player I'm sure people would have been galloping after if not for this rule. We save these types of free agents for the summer (when they often go to a lottery system).

Brock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:21 AM
SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes88 View Post

That refers to the re-signing of your own players. Brock's post is in regards to undrafted free agents (i.e. college and juniors owned by NHL teams, but not owned by HFNHL teams).

SPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:09 PM
Vikes88
@CrushSoda

Understood completely now. Please accept my apologies for my misguided outburst.