HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Mrb1p

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I don't think Bailey fell in the rankings.

But if you follow the OHL, you'll know that last year or before this year, guys like Kujawinski, Harper, Pederson, Maletta, Silk, Garlent, Dempsey, Perklin, Bateman, Terkey, Varga, Vlajkov, ... were all prospects to various degrees. Kujawinski and Harper were considered first rounders but are not anymore, not anywhere close. Guys like Maletta, Dempsey, Perklin and Bateman were all OHL first rounders who have "fallen" big time in their two years in the O.
What about Gauthier, Mantha, Fucale, Duclair and Erne all being potential top 10 picks ? They've fallen too. There's fallers and risers everywhere.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:57 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Fair enough, I agree on Bailey, I like his upside alot. Would be thrilled if we took him in the 2nd round, not so much in the 1st.

For Morrissey, I could see Calgary, Colombus, Vancouver, San Jose and Detroit taking him.

I really don't think Calgary and Colombus would draft three forwards also.

But other than that, I agree with most of your choices !
It's very difficult to do, especially in a year with two teams having multiple selections. After a certain point, BPA is all over the map and trying to emulate the drafting strategies/organizational method for a bunch of teams is difficult. I think every's mock tends to fall apart after the top 10 or so.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:30 PM
phillytennis

My picks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansman View Post
I watched that gold medal game and wow ,lots of talent to behold.
I was impressed with Santini and Compher.I would like to see Compher in our system.
Laurent Dauphin was really good and I sure liked Chris Bigras game.
25th....Gauthier or Erne or Zykov or Domi
34th and 36th...Laurent Dauphin or Samuel Morin or Emile Poirier or Robert Hagg or Morgan Klimchuk or Ryan Hartman or Petan
55th...Santini or Diaby or Heatherington

Old
04-29-2013, 02:44 PM
ccgg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Being from the West Coast I haven't heard much about him,could you expand your thoughts.....thanks
I probably saw 90% of his games this season and the first thing I noticed is the work ethic. Every shift he is on the ice, he plays like it could be his last one. He is a true warrior with a great mental/leadership. He scored 3 goals in the last game of the playoff this season. All the team was dead, but the three goals (maybe 2/3) came in the third period to make it 3-3. He was flying on the ice. He was the true leader. In the overtime, he touched the crossbar twice.

He plays the game at a very high pace. He is very fast and he likes to dangle the puck when he skates at full speed. He is sometimes spectacular. He is very smart, very good IQ. That helps him to be very good defensively. He is also very good with puck managment.

He is physical. He will drop the gloves. He is a good fighter. He could probably fight guys like Mike Brown, Brandon Prust in the NHL. He must get heavier because he often tries open-ice hits but it fails because he isn't strong enough. He is skinny but he doesn't fall on ice like Benoit Pouliot. He goes in the front of the net on the power play, he blocks shots.

I am a fan. I would gladly take him in the third round. If his offence doesn't translate in the NHL, he can still be an effective bottom liner.

Old
04-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Mats86

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccgg View Post
I probably saw 90% of his games this season and the first thing I noticed is the work ethic. Every shift he is on the ice, he plays like it could be his last one. He is a true warrior with a great mental/leadership. He scored 3 goals in the last game of the playoff this season. All the team was dead, but the three goals (maybe 2/3) came in the third period to make it 3-3. He was flying on the ice. He was the true leader. In the overtime, he touched the crossbar twice.

He plays the game at a very high pace. He is very fast and he likes to dangle the puck when he skates at full speed. He is sometimes spectacular. He is very smart, very good IQ. That helps him to be very good defensively. He is also very good with puck managment.

He is physical. He will drop the gloves. He is a good fighter. He could probably fight guys like Mike Brown, Brandon Prust in the NHL. He must get heavier because he often tries open-ice hits but it fails because he isn't strong enough. He is skinny but he doesn't fall on ice like Benoit Pouliot. He goes in the front of the net on the power play, he blocks shots.

I am a fan. I would gladly take him in the third round. If his offence doesn't translate in the NHL, he can still be an effective bottom liner.
Who are you talking about?

Old
04-29-2013, 03:01 PM
CH4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
Who are you talking about?
Laplante

I'm a fan too of him in the 3rd.

I'd like to see Duclair drop and we grab him ala hudon last year.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:26 PM
gillyguzzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CH4 View Post
Laplante

I'm a fan too of him in the 3rd.

I'd like to see Duclair drop and we grab him ala hudon last year.
I bet Duclair is still available in the 4th. I'm not even sure that I'd take him there although some still have him rated late in the first.

Old
04-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 309
I remember MB saying we would have more scouts in the Q this year...

Is it true? And who were the scouts ?

Old
04-29-2013, 03:50 PM
ClasslessGuy

Any opinion on Tristan Jarry? Would he be available for our last pick in the second? or low 3rd round?

Old
04-29-2013, 04:12 PM
HiggsBozon
i.e. GFORCE

I've loved Dauphin forever now and I always could see his potential whenever I saw him play, but this tournament put together with the top prospects game AND his season in general... He's a really, really dynamic player with LOADS of skills and really a lot of explosiveness.

I think picking him with one of our 2 first second rounders would be all fine by me.

The more I hear/look at/read about it, the more I would really like something like this:

1. Rychel
2. Morin
2. Dauphin or Petan
2. Comrie
3. Subban
3. Bailey

We would have quite a good, complete, multidimentional prospect pool after this draft.

Last edited by HiggsBozon: 04-29-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 04:31 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyguzzler View Post
I bet Duclair is still available in the 4th. I'm not even sure that I'd take him there although some still have him rated late in the first.
I honestly do not think there are 120-150 better prospects in this draft better than Duclair. Whether or not you like his attitude (I definitely don't) or believe he is over-hyped, the guy still has 1st line potential. He is incredibly quick, has a great shot and is an excellent offensive player. If he can grow up a little and develop some of his natural abilities, he projects as a top-6 sniper. Obviously it'd be a risk but you don't pass on this guys upside when you're picking in the 3rd round. Subban also had a "bad attitude", as did Karlsson, E.Kane, P.Kane, Perron etc. The list is very long. Of course, it's just as long going the other way for those that didn't make it. If he's there at our late 2nd our earlier 3rd, he's as good a pick as any IMO.

Old
04-29-2013, 04:58 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Team_Spirit View Post
I remember MB saying we would have more scouts in the Q this year...

Is it true? And who were the scouts ?
Donald Audette was the fulltime QMJHL scout they added.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClasslessGuy View Post
Any opinion on Tristan Jarry? Would he be available for our last pick in the second? or low 3rd round?
He should be available then. He barely played this year behind Brossoit. The Oil Kings are a defensive machine, so it's hard to truly evaluate Jarry's potential from where I stand.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:05 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
If "having it all" includes significant questions about his durability, character, smarts and fitness, then yes..by all means pick him early in the second. ;-) Not a Timmins/Bergy type player I don't think.
Well Timmins did select Nathan Beaulieu...

Old
04-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Zephyr666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
He has a point here altough i agree that character/attitude seems to be a big factor for the picks.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:42 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
Beaulieu was supposed to go top 5... He was drafted 17th. At some point you can be dumb, but not that dumb.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:45 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Beaulieu was supposed to go top 5... He was drafted 17th. At some point you can be dumb, but not that dumb.
I don't recall Beaulieu ever being considered as a top 5 selection. Top 10, certainly. If I recall correctly, most rankings/mocks had him going anywhere from 8-12.

04-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

vCash: 570
Quote:
Beaulieu wasn't going to go top 5 in any alternate universe. The earliest he was going to go was 9th to the Bruins before Ottawa and Winnipeg decided to make troll picks.

Old
04-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Mrb1p

Pretty sure he was ranked top 5 in many mocks, draft rankings and in other minds ! We've seen much weirder things.

My point still stands.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:01 PM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

Quote:
Pretty sure he was ranked top 5 in many mocks, draft rankings and in other minds ! We've seen much weirder things.

My point still stands.
TSN: 11th - http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=44970

THN: 18th

Hockey Prospect: 8th

RLR: 18th

McKeen's: 13th

I'll have to check ISS, but I can almost guarantee they didn't have him top 5.

Not taking anything away from Nathan, but he certainly was not viewed as a top 5 pick going into the draft. Not sure where you got that from. He certainly wasn't supposed to drop to 17 though.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:04 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

How come some of you guys are having us pick Rychel. I got nothing to go on except what you guys have said but a lot of stuff I heard on here was really down on Rychel.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:11 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
TSN: 11th - http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=44970

THN: 18th

Hockey Prospect: 8th

RLR: 18th

McKeen's: 13th

I'll have to check ISS, but I can almost guarantee they didn't have him top 5.

Not taking anything away from Nathan, but he certainly was not viewed as a top 5 pick going into the draft. Not sure where you got that from. He certainly wasn't supposed to drop to 17 though.
No need to get through all the paperwork I didn't mean in as a serious statement. He went 17th overall and he was projected about 10 spot lower, thats what matters. Anyway, I don't see how in some world he couldn't have gone before The 5-16th pick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
How come some of you guys are having us pick Rychel. I got nothing to go on except what you guys have said but a lot of stuff I heard on here was really down on Rychel.
Rychel is not a bad prospect at all... Actually I like him alot. He's comparable to Mantha in scoring but he's much more physical and versatile. He wouldn't be my first pick probably in the first round, but he could be close to it.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:12 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
I think it rotates each week... someone has a good game they move up to the 1st round ....lol

Old
04-29-2013, 06:12 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Nice size.. scored 40+ goals in back to back seasons in the OHL. He's got some tenacity and grit to his game. Not afraid to drop the Mitts. We need a few of these players on the team.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:19 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Nice size.. scored 40+ goals in back to back seasons in the OHL. He's got some tenacity and grit to his game. Not afraid to drop the Mitts. We need a few of these players on the team.
I heard he had consistancy issues. Also he had a ****** year until Khokhlachev came back.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I heard he had consistancy issues. Also he had a ****** year until Khokhlachev came back.
Based on what ?

I don't think he'll ever be a 40 goal scorer at the pro level, but he could pretty much be a 20-30 grinder type of player.

Closed Thread