HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Northeast Champions!! Bring on the Sens!!

Old
04-29-2013, 07:43 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Honestly, for the love of god, give me a break with this.

"Price cost us the series in game 3."

Reread that a zillion times and tell me if it ever starts making sense.
Agnostic is correct. WeThreeKings is right. KrissE is right.

Everyone discussing Price vs Thomas in the Bruins series is right. Not COMPLETELY right but right none-the-less.

Price was less than stellar in some instances. Gionta should have scored a goal regardless of which shot it was. Kriss E is right because he is a good rational poster here.

The whole point is that you can break down individual plays and make the argument for what you believe.......and be somewhat correct.

The only point that really matters is that we had the momentum, gave it back to the Bruins and lost in a close Game 7. Cannot single out one player for winning or losing that series.

Looking forward to playing Ottawa!!!!! Go Habs Go.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:45 PM
H2ODP

vCash: 830
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Every fanbase has annoying fans.

But I will say this. I have a few friends on facebook who are Ottawa fans. They talk **** all the time, and I think it bothers them that I don't give it back. Truth is, Ottawa has always been pretty irrelevant to me. All my hate/focus has always gone to the following 3 in order: 1..Boston 2..Toronto..3..Philadelphia. I just never really bothered with the Sens, and I think it bothers them that I don't give them the same attention. Truth is, I couldn't care less.

I'm sure that could always change with this series, but I don't know. Personally, when it comes to rivalries and hatred/emotion, the main word that has always described the Sens for me is "irrelevant."

Now, I'm sure that will sit well with Sens fans on here who happen to read that. Oh well, it's how I feel.
That's actually the exact way how I feel about Montreal as a Sens fan. Except I consider Toronto/Pittsburgh/Buffalo as our 3 main rivals based on history. Hopefully this series adds a 4th team to that list because there's nothing wrong with a new rivalry, it's good for close local teams like us. I expect a tough series that could go either way and I was never a fan of picking the Habs (or anyone else) as an opponent because I think it's bad karma to do that, I'm very much a let the chips fall the way they do kind of guy.

Here's to a good series! Good luck guys!

H2ODP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Beaker
In My Lab Goggles

How can we hate the Senators? They're the Ned Flanders of the NHL. The nice neighbor who lends us their arena when we play them.

Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:56 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Agnostic is correct. WeThreeKings is right. KrissE is right.

Everyone discussing Price vs Thomas in the Bruins series is right. Not COMPLETELY right but right none-the-less.

Price was less than stellar in some instances. Gionta should have scored a goal regardless of which shot it was. Kriss E is right because he is a good rational poster here.

The whole point is that you can break down individual plays and make the argument for what you believe.......and be somewhat correct.

The only point that really matters is that we had the momentum, gave it back to the Bruins and lost in a close Game 7. Cannot single out one player for winning or losing that series.

Looking forward to playing Ottawa!!!!! Go Habs Go.
Thanks for the lifeline.

To my original thought path, taking that series as an example, Thomas was under siege in overtime game 7, he stopped several pucks, some deflected. One deflected shot later and we lost. Without "blaming" Price, can we say that Thomas rose to that occasion. Undoubtedly.

Fast forward to 2013 is it not too much to expect that Price is now the guy who provides that performance when needed. He has the experience of someone beyond his years, he has the salary/respect, the confidence of the organization, nobody challenging his job. Can I now expect Excellence? I think it's reasonable to ask this now.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:58 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfan18 View Post
Every fanbase has annoying fans.

But I will say this. I have a few friends on facebook who are Ottawa fans. They talk **** all the time, and I think it bothers them that I don't give it back. Truth is, Ottawa has always been pretty irrelevant to me. All my hate/focus has always gone to the following 3 in order: 1..Boston 2..Toronto..3..Philadelphia. I just never really bothered with the Sens, and I think it bothers them that I don't give them the same attention. Truth is, I couldn't care less.

I'm sure that could always change with this series, but I don't know. Personally, when it comes to rivalries and hatred/emotion, the main word that has always described the Sens for me is "irrelevant."

Now, I'm sure that will sit well with Sens fans on here who happen to read that. Oh well, it's how I feel.
Truthfully, it's hard to be upset at this because it's true. There's not much history between either of our teams.

That being said, here's hoping this is the first of many playoff matchups.

04-29-2013, 08:11 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Truthfully, it's hard to be upset at this because it's true. There's not much history between either of our teams.

That being said, here's hoping this is the first of many playoff matchups.
I guess there was always a time for it.

FTR, I never considered the Sens irrelevant, in fact I was hoping they would beat NYR last year and their play really impressed me. They've been a solid team for a decade, often one of the best. In terms of the Habs, it's a playoff rivalry that was missing, not at all a regular season one. People forget how much we (perhaps as an automatic response) find Sens fans annoying and their ceremonies insipid. That said, I have very little animosity towards them...for now. Leafs and Bruins fans are a whole different story. Hate them! This series is one that I think both fan bases can enjoy based on hockey.

Zibanejad vs Galchenyuk - two great players at the WJC (Zibanejad the year before). Gallagher actually played the same year as Zibanejad (with Beaulieu) and I fell in love with him during that loss to Russia cuz he was instrumental in the almost-comeback. Winning goal was on Beaulieu's failure to play to the whistle - something I noticed in his last few games of the call up.

Price is being dunked in the pressure cooker, everyone talking about how Andersson is better. It's at times like this that a player can prove themselves.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:11 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Thanks for the lifeline.

To my original thought path, taking that series as an example, Thomas was under siege in overtime game 7, he stopped several pucks, some deflected. One deflected shot later and we lost. Without "blaming" Price, can we say that Thomas rose to that occasion. Undoubtedly.

Fast forward to 2013 is it not too much to expect that Price is now the guy who provides that performance when needed. He has the experience of someone beyond his years, he has the salary/respect, the confidence of the organization, nobody challenging his job. Can I now expect Excellence? I think it's reasonable to ask this now.
You are correct. Thomas was spectacular that season and he has a Cup to show for it.

Price has the tools to rise to the same excellence. His biggest competition in round one will not be the Senators. It will be himself and his belief in himself. A confident Carey Price is damned near unbeatable.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:12 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
You are correct. Thomas was spectacular that season and he has a Cup to show for it.

Price has the tools to rise to the same excellence. His biggest competition in round one will not be the Senators. It will be himself and his belief in himself. A confident Carey Price is damned near unbeatable.
Well said.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:16 PM
FeelsLike93

Pj Stock and Elliott Friedman predict Sens in 6, Glenn Healy says Habs in 5, Kevin Weekes says Habs in 6.

Glenn Healy talked about how Price hasn't lost to Ottawa this year and has a 1.50 gaa vs them. Goes on to say how Ottawa will have a hard time providing goal support for Anderson. Elliott Friedman talks about how that is irrelevant because that was without Karlsson.

The only opinion I care about of those 4 guys is Friedman, seems to be the most knowledgeable to me.

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:21 PM
le_sean

PJ Stock predicting the Habs losing??? No way...

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:29 PM
FeelsLike93

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
As soon as Healy was giving his reasoning on why Habs will win you could see Pj Stock biting his lip waiting to list off reasons why they wouldn't.. Easy PJ

FeelsLike93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:31 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelsLike93 View Post
Pj Stock and Elliott Friedman predict Sens in 6, Glenn Healy says Habs in 5, Kevin Weekes says Habs in 6.

Glenn Healy talked about how Price hasn't lost to Ottawa this year and has a 1.50 gaa vs them. Goes on to say how Ottawa will have a hard time providing goal support for Anderson. Elliott Friedman talks about how that is irrelevant because that was without Karlsson.

The only opinion I care about of those 4 guys is Friedman, seems to be the most knowledgeable to me.
For every goal that Karlsson helps the Sens to score, he will be responsible for a goal scored by the Habs with his giveaway.

JustAHabFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
The EGG Line

Quote:
Wait I never watch hockey on CBC, so I've only seen PJ Stock on RDS and I thought he was a Habs fan.. but whenever someone mentions him here they always say that PJ Stock is yet again bashing the Habs. So is he a Habs fan or not I'm confused?

The EGG Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:55 PM
PyrettaBlaze

Honestly... I have a bad feeling about this as well. Wouldn't be surprised if the Sens win it in 6.

04-29-2013, 08:58 PM
Price My Man Crush

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
Honestly... I have a bad feeling about this as well. Wouldn't be surprised if the Sens win it in 6.
I hate to be the favorites.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:00 PM
De Montreal
help

Quote:
I was more confident facing the Leafs as well. The Sens actually are a very talented team with Karlsson back into the lineup and they already lost in round 1 last year.

I'd say Habs in seven7

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Noob616

Quote:
Thanks for the lifeline.

Yes, Thomas did rise to the occasion. However, it's completely unreasonable to expect Price, let alone any goalie in the league, to equal how out of this world Thomas was in that series. The whole season for him was historic, one of the all time great performances. It's so recent that it doesn't get the credit, but Thomas was just so unbelievably good in that season and playoff. It was a special, generational season for him and we could have any goalie we want and not get that performance.

As for expecting excellence, I wholeheartedly agree. Price is being paid to be a franchise goalie and he hasn't been that this year. If he can play at a high level like we all know he can, we'll be fine. However, anyone expecting him (or anyone) to equal what Thomas did will be disappointed. That was a once in a generation season and it's hard to hold it against Price that he wasn't at that level in 2011.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:12 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelsLike93 View Post

Adding Karlsson is big for the Sens, no doubt about it, but I feel some people put way too much stock on it.
It's as if he's this offensive superstar up front. People talk about him as if he's Crosby.
He had a great season last year for the Sens, but the offensive leader of that team was Spezza, not Karlsson. Up front, they only had four guys with 10g+ (two of them only scored 10, one of 11, and another of 12). That's very low production and speaks to their rather weak scoring depth up front.
Things come PO time can change, but I just don't see how anybody can really pick Sens to win this really. The only acceptable excuse would be that someone believes Price can't perform and so we'll lose because of him. But to say we will lose while on top of our game because Ottawa with Karlsson is just too strong for us is quite the stretch..

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:19 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

If we gotta lose, I rather lose to Ottawa than Toronto. One of them was trying to say the habs-leaf rivalry isn't what it was because they won the series season, but not because of the fact that they've been terrible for the past 7 years.

With that sad, let's go habs!

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:25 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Adding Karlsson is big for the Sens, no doubt about it, but I feel some people put way too much stock on it.
It's as if he's this offensive superstar up front. People talk about him as if he's Crosby.
He had a great season last year for the Sens, but the offensive leader of that team was Spezza, not Karlsson. Up front, they only had four guys with 10g+ (two of them only scored 10, one of 11, and another of 12). That's very low production and speaks to their rather weak scoring depth up front.
Things come PO time can change, but I just don't see how anybody can really pick Sens to win this really. The only acceptable excuse would be that someone believes Price can't perform and so we'll lose because of him. But to say we will lose while on top of our game because Ottawa with Karlsson is just too strong for us is quite the stretch..
The Blogosphere has made Habs underdogs, we're the NYI but more hated. No respect.

The game gets played on the ice, people will see that. But this is the No Excuse season, if the world has a low expectation of the team it shouldn't mean we do.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:28 PM
SouthernHab
Not a Fanboy

Quote:
Sens in three.

We have no chance.

Bell Centre ice quality has been terrible.

Eric Furlatt and Chris Lee is reffing every game.

Jack Edwards and Don Cherry will do play by play and PJ Stock will be the color guy. "GET UP"!!!!!!

Me too. Might watch the more exciting series, Minnesota and Chicago.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by goallagher View Post
Wait I never watch hockey on CBC, so I've only seen PJ Stock on RDS and I thought he was a Habs fan.. but whenever someone mentions him here they always say that PJ Stock is yet again bashing the Habs. So is he a Habs fan or not I'm confused?
Hab fans whine about how the media is against them. 99% of the time it's unfounded. PJ Stock though definitely hates the Habs. He's a first class jerk to boot.

The good news is that he's dumb. So if he's saying we'll lose, he's probably wrong.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:33 PM
Lshap

Quote:
Thanks for the lifeline.

Yeah, it's totally reasonable to expect excellence of our goalie. Just as long as we're reasonable about our definition of excellence. Price ain't gonna stop everything, some pucks are going to go past him, just as they did Thomas, Quick, and everyone else. The kind of excellence I want is what I saw from Price the first half of this season. Shots were fired through traffic that he somehow tracked; players were set up for a perfect shot that he somehow positioned himself to block. Lots of shots we would've forgiven as 'no chance' didn't go in because Price had his pads, body and glove in the right place at the right moment. Price doesn't make many lunging, flailing desperate highlight reel saves because he's usually already there, exactly where the puck's going. That's excellence. If that guy from January through March shows up, we win almost any series.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Yeah, it's totally reasonable to expect excellence of our goalie. Just as long as we're reasonable about our definition of excellence. Price ain't gonna stop everything, some pucks are going to go past him, just as they did Thomas, Quick, and everyone else. The kind of excellence I want is what I saw from Price the first half of this season. Shots were fired through traffic that he somehow tracked; players were set up for a perfect shot that he somehow positioned himself to block. Lots of shots we would've forgiven as 'no chance' didn't go in because Price had his pads, body and glove in the right place at the right moment. Price doesn't make many lunging, flailing desperate highlight reel saves because he's usually already there, exactly where the puck's going. That's excellence. If that guy from January through March shows up, we win almost any series.
I'll be more than happy if he plays for us the way he did against Boston. He was freaking awesome. When you get goaltending like that you expect to win. And if you lose, it's certainly not on the goalie.

Lafleurs Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:37 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
To see PJ faint hit his head against the desk and wind up with a concussion would be almost as sweet as winning the Stanley cup

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote