HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 6.0

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 06:23 PM
WeThreeKings

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
I heard he had consistancy issues. Also he had a ****** year until Khokhlachev came back.
Most young players do.. and so what if he plays better with talent with him? We're not drafting him on the basis of him being a dynamic elite offensive player.. We need a scorer with grit on the wing, he fits the bill.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:23 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Based on what ?

I don't think he'll ever be a 40 goal scorer at the pro level, but he could pretty much be a 20-30 grinder type of player.
Based on the fact that his production went up when he came back. Which does make sense as he is a goal scorer and he played most of the year without any help on offense.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:26 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Nice size.. scored 40+ goals in back to back seasons in the OHL. He's got some tenacity and grit to his game. Not afraid to drop the Mitts. We need a few of these players on the team.
I was reading thehockeywriters website and they did a profile on Rychel and it says he patterns his game after Dustin Brown. Only neg I have read on him is foot speed.

I think he is the type of player we need to draft this year.... a scorer with some grit with size

Old
04-29-2013, 06:28 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Based on the fact that his production went up when he came back. Which does make sense as he is a goal scorer and he played most of the year without any help on offense.
Which shouldnt be a knock on him either. Why say he had a **** year ?

Old
04-29-2013, 06:30 PM
Draft

If we can trade our 1st + NSH 2nd to move up and get Mantha, would any of you do it?

It's a big yes for me. He's got pretty much everything you could look for as a Habs fan, these factors being size, ability and heritage. Seems like the ideal pick. Does he warrant the hype? Is he worth losing one of our high 2nds?

1st-Mantha/Wennberg/Gauthier (15th)
2nd-Morin/Dauphin/Carrier/DLR (33rd)
2nd-Poirier/Mccaron/Diaby (55th)
3rd-Duclair/Subban/Baptiste (71st)

If we were to trade up, I would be happy with any of those picks happening. Basing it mostly off of CSS rankings.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:34 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Most young players do.. and so what if he plays better with talent with him? We're not drafting him on the basis of him being a dynamic elite offensive player.. We need a scorer with grit on the wing, he fits the bill.
I don't even know why I said that, I probably should phrase it better : I meant with Galchenyuk (a much better player than Khokhlachev) he'll be able to keep scoring, but that he won't be driving the offense.

But, I really tought he had major consistency issues, I think I read that somewhere. I guess with Vail, Timmins can know for sure.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:35 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Which shouldnt be a knock on him either. Why say he had a **** year ?
Production wise, he was no where near his last year's total.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:38 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft View Post
If we can trade our 1st + NSH 2nd to move up and get Mantha, would any of you do it?

It's a big yes for me. He's got pretty much everything you could look for as a Habs fan, these factors being size, ability and heritage. Seems like the ideal pick. Does he warrant the hype? Is he worth losing one of our high 2nds?

If we were to trade up, I would be happy with any of those picks happening. Basing it mostly off of CSS rankings.

No I wouldn't... I think players from 15-40 are pretty equal so why waste a pick?

Old
04-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:

No, god no. If we get up to 15th I want Lazar, Zykov, Wennberg, Pulock, Ristolainen, Domi... Mantha is worth a shot at our pick, same with Gotye.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:41 PM
Draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
No I wouldn't... I think players from 15-40 are pretty equal so why waste a pick?
For me it's more players ranked 20-40. IMO, guys like Wennberg and Mantha are at a different level than Carrier, Dauphin, and even Domi.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
For me it's more players ranked 20-40. IMO, guys like Wennberg and Mantha are at a different level than Carrier, Dauphin, and even Domi.
How many games have you watched Mantha ?

Are you the kind of guy that likes the Michael Ryder type ?

Old
04-29-2013, 06:44 PM
That

Rychel is one of those players that you never know what you're going to get. Sometimes you get a forward who works hard in the offensive zone and others a forward who is just a beast down low and dominates games along the boards. One thing that's always for certain is that he doesn't backcheck. I don't think he has any idea how to play in his own zone, just zero effort there.

As for his fighting ability, he's a fairly willing pugilist, but he's not fighting anything more than occasional fighters and doesn't exactly do fantastic against them.

I honestly felt he played just as good, if not better, in the first half of the season without Khokhlachev than he did in the second half with Khokhlachev.

Quote:
Production wise, he was no where near his last year's total.
Rychel scored one less goal and had 14 more points this season than the previous...

Old
04-29-2013, 06:44 PM
Christo182

Quote:
Mantha may still be available for us to pick him with our first. No need to trade up for him if he's the guy you want.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:45 PM
Draft

Quote:
How many games have you watched Mantha ?

Are you the kind of guy that likes the Michael Ryder type ?
I've watched four of his games and I don't think Michael Ryder is the best comparable His frame is such that there is a tonne of room to grow. He shows flashes of physical play and gets by defensively, I don't think I've ever seen Ryder try to make a defensive play. I see him as more of a Pacioretty-type player.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:50 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
I've watched four of his games and I don't think Michael Ryder is the best comparable His frame is such that there is a tonne of room to grow. He shows flashes of physical play and gets by defensively, I don't think I've ever seen Ryder try to make a defensive play. I see him as more of a Pacioretty-type player.
He's far from the good patches in playing style. Maybe you've watched four of his great game.... Every time I watched him he was nearly invisible and then I looked up the stats and he had a goal... I don't like that kind of player. (Patches was like that this year but thats not who he is. Mantha will probably be there at our pick he's really not the type of player you move up for.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:52 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Probably. I know most probably won't, but people really want lower end, blue collar guys it seems.

I'm always up for getting a natural goal scorer, because 40- and 50-goal scorers rarely find a scoring touch out of thin air. Some guys just have a nose for the net and he seems like a perfectly good guy to take a swing of the bat on.

The main apprehension I have is that he seemed to be fairly opportunistic as a scorer this year, so I hope our scouts have a good idea of what he's legitimately capable of doing in the league.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
Probably. I know most probably won't, but people really want lower end, blue collar guys it seems.

I'm always up for getting a natural goal scorer, because 40- and 50-goal scorers rarely find a scoring touch out of thin air. Some guys just have a nose for the net and he seems like a perfectly good guy to take a swing of the bat on.

The main apprehension I have is that he seemed to be fairly opportunistic as a scorer this year, so I hope our scouts have a good idea of what he's legitimately capable of doing in the league.
The NHL these days is all about versatility. Which is why most say DD has no place on this team, which is why Ryder is not paid 5 millions, which is why Kaberle is not playing. Mantha could be a great addition at our pick, not at 15.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:58 PM
Draft

Quote:
He's far from the good patches in playing style. Maybe you've watched four of his great game.... Every time I watched him he was nearly invisible and then I looked up the stats and he had a goal... I don't like that kind of player. (Patches was like that this year but thats not who he is. Mantha will probably be there at our pick he's really not the type of player you move up for.
That's absolutely fair, I can see where you'd get that from. In the games I watched he surely wasn't invisible though, perhaps I was just looking for him. The fact that he does involve himself in some physical play and uses his body effectively at this stage bodes well for his future development. Often what it takes is extra mass and coaching to mould a player into a true power forward. Staying with comparisons to our team, Eller was seen as a softer play maker during his development. If you look at where he is now, he's surely tapped into his physical side. I just think there's big potential there.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:01 PM
le_sean

I think Rychel is the exact kind of winger that Galchenyuk can use. But it would also be awesome to have Morin in the system.

Lots of great choices and I think a good player will drop.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:02 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
The NHL these days is all about versatility. Which is why most say DD has no place on this team, which is why Ryder is not paid 5 millions, which is why Kaberle is not playing. Mantha could be a great addition at our pick, not at 15.
I'm sorry, but DD has no place on this team? Ryder isn't paid 5M$? Kaberle not playing?

You realize this has absolutely no relevance whatsoever?

If the guy scores goals, he has a place on any team. And a guy with his size has a lot of untapped potential. Honestly, not a good pick at 15...

What are you expecting at that pick, Ovechkin?

Old
04-29-2013, 07:06 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Would really like Morin, but I don't think I take him with the first rounder.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:06 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
That's absolutely fair, I can see where you'd get that from. In the games I watched he surely wasn't invisible though, perhaps I was just looking for him. The fact that he does involve himself in some physical play and uses his body effectively at this stage bodes well for his future development. Often what it takes is extra mass and coaching to mould a player into a true power forward. Staying with comparisons to our team, Eller was seen as a softer play maker during his development. If you look at where he is now, he's surely tapped into his physical side. I just think there's big potential there.
For sure there is potential, never said there was none. He's just not my type of pick at 15. There's much better players. The two Q guys have been hyped to a certain point where I don't really know why... Picking him 15th would means you pick him ahead of guys like Mackinnon, Jones, Drouin, Barkov, Nichuskin, Nurse, Monahan, Lindholm, Shinkaruk Pulock, Ristolainen, Zadorov, Zykov, Erne, Domi, Morrissey, Wennberg, Hagg, Lazar and Mueller. Seems like pretty good company, no ?

Old
04-29-2013, 07:09 PM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Em Ancien View Post
I'm sorry, but DD has no place on this team? Ryder isn't paid 5M$? Kaberle not playing?

You realize this has absolutely no relevance whatsoever?

If the guy scores goals, he has a place on any team. And a guy with his size has a lot of untapped potential. Honestly, not a good pick at 15...

What are you expecting at that pick, Ovechkin?
Maybe you're just in love with Mantha... I ranked 18 players above him that are pretty much no contest in my other post, then theres about another 10 I'd say are better or equal... He's a good prospect, I just don't think he's good for 15th. (Moving up that is.)

Old
04-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Maybe you're just in love with Mantha... I ranked 18 players above him that are pretty much no contest in my other post, then theres about another 10 I'd say are better or equal... He's a good prospect, I just don't think he's good for 15th. (Moving up that is.)
I don't even love Mantha specifically. I just rate natural scoring talent higher because it's a much rare commodity, especially when it comes to prime scoring talent.

People tend to project a lot of things without taking talent level into account in the first place. I don't project, I just look at skill set, performance and potential for growth.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:12 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Would really like Morin, but I don't think I take him with the first rounder.
I'm weary too, but it seems like a team would have to if they really like him. All NHL teams covet guys that size with skating mobility.

Closed Thread