HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Notices

Blues v. Kings Comprehensive Preview/Prediction

Old
04-29-2013, 07:59 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multimoodia View Post
Depends.
As long as they can ensure Muzzin stays in his own zone and keeps coughing up the puck at the worst possible moments, then no respecting the point shot is likely not their largest concern.
The same can be said for the Blues defensemen. I think the Blues have a shot at somewhat neutralizing the Kings' forecheck because they will move the puck a little quicker than last season.

The team with the defense that consistently makes the best 1st pass may win this series.

Regarding having two #1 defensemen, let's see what Bouwmeester does in the playoffs before we go calling him a #1. Neither Petro or Bouwmeester is in Doughty's classs, and Voynov is underrated. Muzzin is a rookie and could get the yips, who knows how rookie defensemen will react when the heat gets turned up in the playoffs.

A lot of keys to this series. One of them being that the Blues have to prevent the Kings from owning the space in front of both nets.

As far as the article goes, I was just pointing out that Voynov and Muzzin's shots are every bit as good as Bouwmeester's and Petro's, and they too have been known to sneak down low for back door plays. It's not like outside of Doughty the Kings don't have defensemen capable of creating offense.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:52 PM
Celtic Note
Chi Town Bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
The same can be said for the Blues defensemen. I think the Blues have a shot at somewhat neutralizing the Kings' forecheck because they will move the puck a little quicker than last season.

The team with the defense that consistently makes the best 1st pass may win this series.

Regarding having two #1 defensemen, let's see what Bouwmeester does in the playoffs before we go calling him a #1. Neither Petro or Bouwmeester is in Doughty's classs, and Voynov is underrated. Muzzin is a rookie and could get the yips, who knows how rookie defensemen will react when the heat gets turned up in the playoffs.

A lot of keys to this series. One of them being that the Blues have to prevent the Kings from owning the space in front of both nets.

As far as the article goes, I was just pointing out that Voynov and Muzzin's shots are every bit as good as Bouwmeester's and Petro's, and they too have been known to sneak down low for back door plays. It's not like outside of Doughty the Kings don't have defensemen capable of creating offense.
There seem to be a lot of things in this post that speak to a King bias.

Celtic Note is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Multimoodia
Sicker Than Usual

vCash: 600
Quote:
The same can be said for the Blues defensemen.
Unless Cole is playing, no that really cannot be said for the Blues defensemen.
I watch the Kings when I have a chance and there has been a very good reason for many Kings fans panic when Muzzin has the puck in his own zone and is under pressure.
It's because he tends to make decisions which run the gamut from puzzling to extraordinarily poor.
From the red line to the opponents zone he has the right moves, but he is kind of an adventure within his own blue line.

Multimoodia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:30 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAero View Post
I'd second this. It is imperative that Hitch's puck-control approach be able to find a way to work in order to cut down on SOGs and to create scoring opportunities that the Kings' strong forechecking took away last year. I think the addition of Bouwmeester and Leopold helps to deal with this problem. It is the key to the entire series in my book.

Sidenote: Is it a given that Doughty is the best d-man on the ice in this series?? The author of the analysis seems to think so. My homer streak may be showing and maybe I just haven't watched Doughty enough to make a fair assessment but I'd say Pietrangelo edges him out. Opinions?

From your keyboard to God's inbox.
Sorry, but Doughty has the ability to be the best defenseman in the NHL. Pietra may at some point, but currently hasn't show the ability to be that #1 dman in the league. Doughty has. Im the author btw, just for reference.

BBSuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:30 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Note View Post
There seem to be a lot of things in this post that speak to a King bias.
Well there were a lot of things in the article that were slanted the Blues' way.

Just a comment. I think it short changed the offense that the Kings can generate from the back end.

Look, I think it's going to be a great series. A lot for you guys psychologically depends on Game 1.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:32 PM
BBSuns

Quote:

Agree with everything you have pointed out here. It was all considered in the making of this article. Jbouw is Doughty caliber; he just hasn't had the platform to show-off his abilities (other than when he was named World Championships best defenseman of course).

Old
04-29-2013, 09:35 PM
BBSuns

Quote:
Well there were a lot of things in the article that were slanted the Blues' way.

Just a comment. I think it short changed the offense that the Kings can generate from the back end.

Look, I think it's going to be a great series. A lot for you guys psychologically depends on Game 1.
Honestly, I didn't short change them. The 3rd pairing was the deciding factor as I stated. When Barret Jackman, who i outlined as one of the biggest steals in the league, is your 3rd pairing dman, you have massive depth. IK Doughty is out of this world..but Jbouw is a close second and from then on its advantage blues. Without Bouwmeester, I would have given the advantage to the Kings hands down.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:41 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
Can I start setting mines? I feel...Invaded.

Edit: BTW, who's on watch? If I catch another person copping Zs in the bush...

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:55 PM
rocketxav9

who will have the best playoffs for the blues (points) ? perron, oshie, backes, steen, mcdonald, berglund ? i wanna pick one blues in my playoffs pool but dont know which one...

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:02 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBSuns View Post
Honestly, I didn't short change them. The 3rd pairing was the deciding factor as I stated. When Barret Jackman, who i outlined as one of the biggest steals in the league, is your 3rd pairing dman, you have massive depth. IK Doughty is out of this world..but Jbouw is a close second and from then on its advantage blues. Without Bouwmeester, I would have given the advantage to the Kings hands down.
Again, you really didn't even mention Voynov or Muzzin, and they both can provide offense.

I don't see Bouwmeester as even being close to Doughty as of yet. Doughty is far more physical and rushes the puck much better, but Bouwmeester is going to get the opportunity to finally show his stuff in the playoffs, so we will see.

Good article, but you did ignore Voynov and Muzzin, two guys that aren't too shabby when it comes to scoring points.

All that being said, I will feel a lot better about the Kings' chances if Greene is available and the Kings don't have to play Muzzin and Ellerby together. I doubt Martinez will play in this series as he hasn't played in almost a month.

It's all good, you guys have a good series. I have a real good friend that is a Blues fan and he was incredibly gracious for the entire run last year. If you guys can win this 1st round series I'll wish you nothing but the best. I know what it's like to wait for 45 years. When it happens for your team, you won't be disappointed.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Yoko Ono
Golf In May

Kings should sweep, the Blues just don't have the heart to compete in the playoffs. I think Oshie coming back hurts the team they took off after he got injured, while he is running around putting himself out of position to make hits the Kings will be making the Blues pay.

Yoko Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:50 PM
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Ono View Post
Kings should sweep, the Blues just don't have the heart to compete in the playoffs. I think Oshie coming back hurts the team they took off after he got injured, while he is running around putting himself out of position to make hits the Kings will be making the Blues pay.
Its good to have you on board.

2 Minute Minor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:46 AM
BlueDream

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:19 AM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
Boy I missed your great posts.

Bluesman91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:30 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Oshie a defensive liability and Doughty is the next Jesus (is he Karlssons brother then?!?)

****ing right!

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 01:32 AM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Boy I missed your great posts.
Yeah he is great, isn't he?

frostyflo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:27 AM
TK 421
Donut Squad

vCash: 758
Quote:
Could you do a write up on the whole team? That would be awesome.

TK 421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:49 AM
BlueAero

Quote:
Sorry, but Doughty has the ability to be the best defenseman in the NHL. Pietra may at some point, but currently hasn't show the ability to be that #1 dman in the league. Doughty has. Im the author btw, just for reference.
OK cool. I just haven't seen enough of him to make that qualification. If you say he is, I'll take your word for it. I'll make my own judgements during the series and see how he stacks up.

BlueAero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 08:32 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
I'm sorry, did you miss all of last season where played like the best defenseman in the NHL? Petro has clearly out performed Doughty 2/3 years in the league. He was pretty off for the first 2/3s of the year, but right before the deadline he begun picking things up again. It's not like Doughty set the world on fire this year either. With the way they played this season, there's no clear better player. If Doughty plays like last years playoffs and Petro struggles again, then he's the better player. Otherwise it's a wash.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 09:57 AM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketxav9 View Post
who will have the best playoffs for the blues (points) ? perron, oshie, backes, steen, mcdonald, berglund ? i wanna pick one blues in my playoffs pool but dont know which one...
if you're picking from that set, without knowing most of your fantasy categories, i'd go backes or oshie

Old
04-30-2013, 10:01 AM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAero View Post
OK cool. I just haven't seen enough of him to make that qualification. If you say he is, I'll take your word for it. I'll make my own judgements during the series and see how he stacks up.
thats fair; i got an up close look last year in the cup finals>im a die-hard devils fan at heart. and to the guy saying Pietra dominated Doughty in 2/3 years...offense they are on the same level of talent. pietra may even have better hands, might be a little faster skater, but doughty is a guy you can build a team around. this Kings team was struggling hard when Doughty couldn't find his game. BTW, Doughty is almost a PPG player in the playoffs..thats almost unheard of from a dman

Old
04-30-2013, 10:01 AM
rocketxav9

thanks i took captain Backes !

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:08 AM
BBSuns

Quote:
Again, you really didn't even mention Voynov or Muzzin, and they both can provide offense.

I don't see Bouwmeester as even being close to Doughty as of yet. Doughty is far more physical and rushes the puck much better, but Bouwmeester is going to get the opportunity to finally show his stuff in the playoffs, so we will see.

Good article, but you did ignore Voynov and Muzzin, two guys that aren't too shabby when it comes to scoring points.

All that being said, I will feel a lot better about the Kings' chances if Greene is available and the Kings don't have to play Muzzin and Ellerby together. I doubt Martinez will play in this series as he hasn't played in almost a month.

It's all good, you guys have a good series. I have a real good friend that is a Blues fan and he was incredibly gracious for the entire run last year. If you guys can win this 1st round series I'll wish you nothing but the best. I know what it's like to wait for 45 years. When it happens for your team, you won't be disappointed.
I may not have specified them but they certainly didn't go ignored; couldn't possibly comment on every single player lol. people would get bored. but I know what you are saying and nothing you have said has been incorrect. in the general sense, the Blues have more depth and overall, better PMD. Voynov is getting better and better now that hes been getting opportunities. Muzzin i havent seen enough of since it was a shortened season so my jury on him was out for this series. but just based on some research I could already tell Muzzin wouldnt be in the Blues top 4. ill certainly have my eye on him though.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:08 AM
Thallis
We suck again!

Send a message via MSN to Thallis
Quote:
thats fair; i got an up close look last year in the cup finals>im a die-hard devils fan at heart. and to the guy saying Pietra dominated Doughty in 2/3 years...offense they are on the same level of talent. pietra may even have better hands, might be a little faster skater, but doughty is a guy you can build a team around. this Kings team was struggling hard when Doughty couldn't find his game. BTW, Doughty is almost a PPG player in the playoffs..thats almost unheard of from a dman
And the majority of that came from one unreal run. I'm not trying to detract from Doughty's play in the playoffs last year, but he hasn't been nearly consistent enough in the regular season to justify saying you build a team around him and not Pietro. Pietro's greatest asset last year was that he played the best defense in the NHL while putting up a PPG for half the season. A great deal of the Blues' second place finish can be attributed to just how spectacular he was last season, and it even showed in how the team simply crumbled when he went down. Make no mistake, these St. Louis Blues are built around Alex Pietrangelo, and coming on to these boards and saying he's not a #1 defenseman yet is an absurd statement.

Thallis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 10:11 AM
BBSuns

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketxav9 View Post
thanks i took captain Backes !
if there is a hits category you made the right call...regardless you may have made the right call LOL. surprised stewart wasn't a choice and Schwartz may lead the top line in points if he stays on there the whole series..