HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rumours and Speculation Thread #4

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 05:56 PM
LegionOfDoom91

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totally Radivojevic View Post
I'll take the unknown in this case. We know what we have with Bryz, and he's not the answer. What's the worst case scenario with Raanta, he puts up around a .900 save percentage?
Raanta's still young. I would rather have him spend some time in the minors first so he could adjust to the the NA rink surface. I wouldn't want to throw him into the NHL and possibly ruin his confidence because he wasn't ready for it.

I think this is all a moot point though, like it or not Bryz will more than likely be back next as one of the two goalies.

Old
04-29-2013, 06:25 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Or Eriksson, the perpetual dream of all Flyers fans. Well, aside from DFF
Haha, I hit quote before I read the end of this post and was going to jump at an opportunity to re-hash that argument!

In all fairness, I never said I was opposed to signing Eriksson, only that I don't understand people's desire to sign him beginning the day they gave up his rights. Basically my argument was that people on HFBoards who have seen YouTube Videos along with his stat line, then read a tweet from EuroFlyers about him don't have much of an argument against the Flyers, the other organizations that passed on him his second go-through of the draft, then all the other organizations that didn't offer him a contract.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:02 PM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha, I hit quote before I read the end of this post and was going to jump at an opportunity to re-hash that argument!

In all fairness, I never said I was opposed to signing Eriksson, only that I don't understand people's desire to sign him beginning the day they gave up his rights. Basically my argument was that people on HFBoards who have seen YouTube Videos along with his stat line, then read a tweet from EuroFlyers about him don't have much of an argument against the Flyers, the other organizations that passed on him his second go-through of the draft, then all the other organizations that didn't offer him a contract.
Well technically though, then MOST shouldnt say anything about any prospects, or anyone for that matter that we couldnt see.

Would make for a boring forums though

Old
04-29-2013, 08:05 PM
FLYERSFAN18

I now expect Bobby Ryan to be a Flyer next season. I just hope it doesn't cost us Couturier or our first in this draft

Old
04-29-2013, 08:08 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
The reality began to kick in when Vokoun signed for dirt (1.5) and still posted .917 SV%.

Bryz posted .909 -- which is deceiving because he pulled that stat up late in the year. Then rocked a .898 this year.

There are plenty of metrics showing the Flyer's defense is decent. They play well and then have sudden, catastrophic collapses. Same defense Mason played in front of-- and teams play a little worse for backups when you crunch the numbers-- and he pushes out a .936 (granted it is a small sample size and he was definitely in the zone).
it didn't hurt that the team also played some of their best hockey the last two weeks of the season.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:16 PM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYERSFAN18 View Post
I now expect Bobby Ryan to be a Flyer next season. I just hope it doesn't cost us Couturier or our first in this draft
Because they want to weaken the defense and add almost $4m to the cap in a year when it's going down just to get Ryan in two years early? Ryan doesn't solve any of the Flyer's main problems.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:25 PM
duffy9748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Laughton + 11th + Coburn + Cousins

or

Couturier + 11th

or

Offersheet for $8.75m/year
I like Couturier as much as anyone but he doesn't hold the same value as Laughton+Coburn+Cousins.

Old
04-29-2013, 08:39 PM
PALE PWNR

Couturier + #11 + Meszaros + 2014,2015,2016 1sts

Old
04-29-2013, 08:45 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by PALE PWNR View Post
Couturier + #11 + Meszaros + 2014,2015,2016 1sts
You might as well take Meszaros out of there. He has negative trade value right now. There's also really no incentive for a budget team like St. Louis to take an often injured player like Meszaros. His caphit is $4.2M next year but his actual salary is $5.5M.

I would say there's a good we're stuck with Meszaros until next summer when his contract ends up.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
it didn't hurt that the team also played some of their best hockey the last two weeks of the season.
Chicken and egg. Those same collapses happened. Difference: Mason stood on his head.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:59 PM
BernieParent

I'd like to point out that I saw the Bryzgalov situation from day 1:

Quote:
I don't like this contract for Bryzgalov, even with the apparent solution to their longstanding goaltender black hole. Too many years, too big a cap space and I'm sure it's going to come back to bite us. Bob is still raw, but I can definitely see him putting it all together sooner rather than later. Imagine for a moment dealing Bob away, as looks likely, and Bryzgalov giving this club the definition of mediocre goaltending, right around the .900 Mendoza line.

If we look a bit further ahead, the CBA is running out and I can see the owners and players play hold-your-breath for a big chunk of the season, maybe up to 34 games lost. In a mini-season, every win counts for so much more, and if the team doesn't gel right away, it could go downhill really fast. In a situation like that, with such a compacted schedule, running Bryzgalov and (I hate myself for even putting this out as a joke) Leighton (as if!) out so often could push the goaltending right back into a crisis situation.

The only way out would be if the new CBA contained something like an amnesty buyout or something.

Nightmare scenario: Bryzgalov starts out somewhat hot in a strike / lockout - shortened season while the rest of the team spins in circles. He regresses to blech and the team doesn't do much to pick up the slack. Of course, there will be the inevitable grocery list of injuries. They miss the playoffs, but can't even get the tank right and win a bunch at the end of the season to come in at around -- I don't know -- 11th. The biggest highlight of the season would be hosting a team from a city that suffers a big tragedy (like a terrorist attack) and gives a donation to the victims.

One thing is for certain: Beef and DFF won't agree on any of the above.
I think I nailed it pretty well.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post

Are you a god?

04-29-2013, 10:20 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Because they want to weaken the defense and add almost $4m to the cap in a year when it's going down just to get Ryan in two years early? Ryan doesn't solve any of the Flyer's main problems.
That's exactly why I expect it

Old
04-29-2013, 10:22 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

Are you a god?
We are not at liberty to say.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:23 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:

Quote:

Are you a god?
This is fantastic. Well done and I second Beef's question.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:29 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
This is fantastic. Well done and I second Beef's question.
You guys encourage my ridiculousness way too much. It's like feeding sugar packets to the kindergarten kid so he will keep running in circles and yelling swear words.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:33 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
You guys encourage my ridiculousness way too much. It's like feeding sugar packets to the kindergarten kid so he will keep running in circles and yelling swear words.
I don't have a problem with it. It keeps it entertaining around here.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:47 PM
BernieParent

But seriously people, I'm wondering what potential buyout candidates could be of interest to the Flyers. Brewer? Heatley? Z Michalek? Luongo?? Even Volchenkov as a recycling project and a cheaper cap hit.

I don't have any feelings one way or another. I read up on the Lightning board how unimpressed with Brewer they are, so he ostensibly could be had for next to nothing. Just another in a host of options is all I'm saying.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:17 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Quote:
But seriously people, I'm wondering what potential buyout candidates could be of interest to the Flyers. Brewer? Heatley? Z Michalek? Luongo?? Even Volchenkov as a recycling project and a cheaper cap hit.

I don't have any feelings one way or another. I read up on the Lightning board how unimpressed with Brewer they are, so he ostensibly could be had for next to nothing. Just another in a host of options is all I'm saying.
Brewer is just another example of what we have too much of already, guys that are decent 2nd pairing defensemen that are big, not great skaters, and not great at moving the puck. He's not going to help much IMO.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:51 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I'd take Heatley on a short term deal at a reasonable rate.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:45 AM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
exactly. Bobby Ryan doesn't help this team as it stands right now. Especially what you have to give up to land the guy. Which is a massive overpayment. If you are overpaying in a deal I would rather it be for a defender that can help this team.
Besides isnt Ryan a lock to be a Flyer in the summer of 2015?
As far as the goaltending goes, there really is no easy solution to keep this familiar theme going. Bryzgalov has not played well in the 2 years he has been here. I dont care what he makes. He was brought here to be the number 1 guy and has not got the job done.
That being said I dont trust Mason at all yet. No doubt he played well, but this was basically with very little pressure on him. Next season the pressure will likely be amped up a bit with expectations of returning to the playoffs and everything that comes with it. I dont like Bryz but I am against buying him out without a plan in place to get another goaltender. short or long term.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:16 AM
BillDineen

Quote:

Old
04-30-2013, 06:14 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well technically though, then MOST shouldnt say anything about any prospects, or anyone for that matter that we couldnt see.

Would make for a boring forums though
Haha. Yeah but in this situation it is different. Talking about who should be drafted or traded for before a guy has been drafted or traded or signed is one thing. Even talking about someone signed or traded for while they are playing in the NHL makes sense. Talking about signing a guy that was drafted, not signed, not drafted, then not signed again is different.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

Old
04-30-2013, 07:57 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Chicken and egg. Those same collapses happened. Difference: Mason stood on his head.
Mason has something to prove so I wasn't surprised they did well with him in net. Let's see how he does next year when he's settled in and not running on adrenaline/excitement like he was at the end of the season.

Closed Thread