HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poile comments on Weber and the Offseason

Old
04-29-2013, 12:38 AM
NoNecksCurse

vCash: 500
way to go shea!

NoNecksCurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Wow, that is great to hear

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:47 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire11 View Post
And Hornqvist, Wilson, Fisher and Bourque were all injured for extended stretches... Not to mention Rinne was dealing with a shoulder injury from the KHL and obviously whatever was going on in Erat's head.

So no, I don't think they are that far off. It was just a disaster of a season, but with a healthy roster + Forsberg + Mac/Drouin/Barkov + UFA #4 D-man... this is right back to a team that consistently finishes 4th-8th.
sorry I didn't mean to disturb your dreaming

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:35 PM
roseyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Since the first lock out, we've had a top 10 offense 3 or 4 times, so the offense hasn't always been a problem.

As far as not addressing the lockerroom issue, how do you know that? Maybe it was Tootoo, Suter, Radulov, AK or Erat. How do we even know there was a lockerroom issue, it's all speculation with no real basis. Maybe it was just slow start and injuries. Maybe Marty Erat's problem wasn't something personal, maybe he felt the Predators wingers were going to cut into his time from here out and he wanted to try his luck in a different system.

I think this staff and front office has earned an off season to right this ship. We have no reason not to take Poile at his word.
if you accept mediocrity then you like the product and you really don't want a Stanley Cup. I can accept that. If you put the Preds compared to Columbus and Toronto then it's a positive if put them against the major teams who are major players then it hasn't. We had injuries last year and we made the playoffs. There some teams now in the playoffs that the injuries are just like Rinne's unknown and won't be know until their seasons are over. Did you know that the Preds were in a youth movement before Erat said it. Pierre Lebrun was interviewed when Erat was traded and he said he followed the team during last year playoff and he noticed and said that the lockeroom divided over the Radulov incident. Do you think that your opinion Erat would have been scratched or sit or have his time cut if he was still here. Did you believe that Nick Spaling is a top 6 forward Poile said he was. He also said that Cal O'Reilly was too I heard that interview with Weber when a year before when Weber first got paid his first big payday. All this speculation that the Preds are going to spend on top flight scorer you really believe that.

roseyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 09:53 PM
triggrman

vCash: 557
Yeah, that's what I said, exactly you got me...

I've said they've earned the right to have an off year, and dispelled the myth that we've always struggled offensively. If you were a true Predators fan, you would know better (see what I did there).

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:14 PM
ThirdManIn
Global Moderator
Aspiring Sinecure

If I remember correctly Poile said he "thinks" Spaling has what it takes to eventually become a top six forward, not that he is one. Fans just ran with it as if he had demanded Trotz pencil Spaling in on the top six after overreacting to a simple statement made at the Skate of the Union (again, if I remember correctly). It's a fun joke and all, but acting like his exact words were "Nick Spaling is a top six forward in the NHL" is silly, especially considering he has never been used in that role outside of maybe filling in for injuries.

ThirdManIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:20 PM
drwpreds

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseyc View Post
if you accept mediocrity then you like the product and you really don't want a Stanley Cup. I can accept that. If you put the Preds compared to Columbus and Toronto then it's a positive if put them against the major teams who are major players then it hasn't. We had injuries last year and we made the playoffs. There some teams now in the playoffs that the injuries are just like Rinne's unknown and won't be know until their seasons are over. Did you know that the Preds were in a youth movement before Erat said it. Pierre Lebrun was interviewed when Erat was traded and he said he followed the team during last year playoff and he noticed and said that the lockeroom divided over the Radulov incident. Do you think that your opinion Erat would have been scratched or sit or have his time cut if he was still here. Did you believe that Nick Spaling is a top 6 forward Poile said he was. He also said that Cal O'Reilly was too I heard that interview with Weber when a year before when Weber first got paid his first big payday. All this speculation that the Preds are going to spend on top flight scorer you really believe that.
Do you really think the injuries this year can be compared in any way to last season?? It is not even close- just look at the lineup we were throwing out there the last month of the season.....

And I think you need to look up the definition of mediocre- do some research and look at the Predators on ice performance the past 8 years before this year- Preds have consistently been one of the best teams in the league- not even close to being mediocre.

drwpreds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:38 AM
glenngineer
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwpreds View Post
Do you really think the injuries this year can be compared in any way to last season?? It is not even close- just look at the lineup we were throwing out there the last month of the season.....

And I think you need to look up the definition of mediocre- do some research and look at the Predators on ice performance the past 8 years before this year- Preds have consistently been one of the best teams in the league- not even close to being mediocre.
All depends on your definition of mediocre I guess. What is success? What does one of the best teams in the league mean? Have we been a front runner for the Cup all those years? Nope. Have we sucked like other teams? Nope. I'd say we're a pretty middle of the road team. A team that can surprise anyone on any given night. I'd say we were good enough to steal a series or two along the way. Having made the playoffs 7 out of 8 years previous to this one was nice but at the end of the day, we have nothing to show for it. No division title. Two first round wins. That's it.

I don't think it's as glum as some around here say but I don't think it's all peachy as others say either. We've been good at best but people saying we're mediocre isn't too far off either.

Not sure what needs to change to get us over the hump but something needs to give at some point.

glenngineer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:44 AM
triggrman

We've been good but not great. Year in and year out we've been top 3rd of the conference. We need a few more pieces to take the next step.

Old
05-21-2013, 02:00 AM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

A lot of good young players knocking at the door? Do you expect a lot of rookies next year?

ChuckyToGally is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 07:35 AM
triggrman

I think we could see Beck, Forsberg and Ekholm at times, maybe even the 4th overall.

I think the reference is more to guys like Bourque, Smith and Wilson.

Old
05-21-2013, 11:55 AM
misfit
5-14-6-1

vCash: 50
Any talk of Nashville trading Weber would've been either paranoid Preds fans fearing the worst, or hopefull fans of the other 29 teams who want to see one of the league's most dominant defensemen on their team.

There's no way anybody with half a brain in their head would come to the conclusion that Weber is/was ever on the market. Especially with how much they've already paid him.

05-21-2013, 02:37 PM
kypredsfan
Smashville Subban

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Any talk of Nashville trading Weber would've been either paranoid Preds fans fearing the worst, or hopefull fans of the other 29 teams who want to see one of the league's most dominant defensemen on their team.

There's no way anybody with half a brain in their head would come to the conclusion that Weber is/was ever on the market. Especially with how much they've already paid him.
Don't worry, it was none of us. However, a constant dream of others.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 02:59 PM
Soundgarden

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post

Ha. That reminds me that on the Cancks board they said that Weber's contract is our "death knell" and they wouldn't be surprised to see us move in three years.

Completely serious.

Soundgarden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2013, 04:15 PM
Jubal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
Ha. That reminds me that on the Cancks board they said that Weber's contract is our "death knell" and they wouldn't be surprised to see us move in three years.

Completely serious.
A lot of people say this, and they're all equally laughable.

You can't help but make fun of the people who actually say that.

Jubal is offline   Reply With Quote