HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Did the Ducks Win the Gardiner/Lupul Trade?

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 11:38 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
You and this post combine to make the ultimate joke.

A good laugh before bed is always nice. Lupul, All-star last season, was on pace to beat OV for Richard trophy this season, along with Gardiner (sophmore slump) who put up 30 pts in his rookie season for an aging vet who is nowhere near being a #1 defender.
As much as I love Lupul, you have to admit this claim is rather ridiculous. I mean, Frattin had what, 7 goals in his first 10 games? That would put him on pace for 33-34 goals over a season. Try not to use "On pace" to back up an argument .

P.S: Especially when you can use the legitimate point of last year.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:38 PM
muckbin15
parros16

vCash: 50
win-win for sure, too bad you guys didnt take schultz instead of gardiner though

Old
04-29-2013, 11:39 PM
HappyGilmourr

Lupul has been a PPG forward in his tenure with Toronto. He's played in 110 games out of a possible 158. He's missed some time due to some fluke injuries but he's been a force in the lineup and he's been in the line up at a 70 percent rate... not 25 percent like one poster stated. Gardiner suffered from a sophomore slump but is still a projected top offensive d-man

Old
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

vCash: 1775
This thread is so out of the blue and random (Phaneuf talk? Sharks fans hate?) that it almost seems like a planned flaming.

Did Beauchemin pull some kids out of a fire tonight or something?

There are a lot of pessimists in Toronto, but I dont think anyone has ever complained about that trade. Like, ever.

Old
GenericFan2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datsyuk Dangles View Post
Watch Beauchemin play before making that statement
Because he never played for the Leafs, right? He's been a 2nd pairing, solid DFD in sheltered minutes for most of his career. He plays good on a hot team in a 48 game stint and he's all of a sudden a #1 defenseman? Well, so is Mark Fraser then! Thanks Anaheim!

Old
Polo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeLeaf1331 View Post
What a joke of a thread.

Also yeah while were at it, lets just write off everything Gardiner did last season and label him as a bust..
As i said. Amazing 75 games vs 12 rocky games = a joke? I dont get how anyone can convince themselves this is logical thinking.

Old
Garbs
HFBoards Sponsor

lmfao

Subbanned

No. Burke and the Leafs killed this trade then and now. NHL d-man rookie of the year and a young PPG winger for a 30+ player. Beauchemin's a great d-man of course. But just look at the overall value - it's very decisively one way.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:40 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
What a joke of a thread. Yeah who needs an allstar ppg winger, who got injured from a DION PHANEUF slapshot, and a shoulder to the head. Both would have injured any player.

Also yeah while were at it, lets just write off everything Gardiner did last season and label him as a bust..
Common lets be honest a dion phaneuf slapshot wouldn't even hurt a new born baby, it's just because Lupul is injury prone that he got hurt

Kidding but a injury is a injury

Old
Allen Degenerate
Rookie User

vCash: 50
Quote:
What a joke of a thread. Yeah who needs an allstar ppg winger, who got injured from a DION PHANEUF slapshot, and a shoulder to the head. Both would have injured any player.

Leafs fans should know all about players who have great rookie years and then fall off the face of the earth. Raycroft wasn't quite as good after that first year, was he? And Phaneuf?

Old
Aceonfire
Las Vegas Aces

You can't really say Anaheim won this trade. If anything it was terrible asset management.

Losing a player just to give up assets to have them back isn't ideal even if it pans out for the team.

I dislike the leafs but they made the playoffs without Beauchemin or Gardiner so you can't really say they lost when they seem to be doing just fine.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:41 PM
West Coast Bias*

Send a message via ICQ to West Coast Bias* Send a message via AIM to West Coast Bias* Send a message via Yahoo to West Coast Bias*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
Notsureifserious.

My argument is Gardiner plays an amazing 75 game season and has a rocky 12 game season...and somehow Gardiner is a joke.

Really? This seems realistic to you?

Please feel free to respond to this post Id love to hear how anyone on this board can even argue that.
I am offended that you don't think my opinion is "serious". Are the only serious opinions ones that align with yours?

You keep switching the excuse for Gardiner. First it's a sophomore slump, and now it's small sample size? Perhaps the sample size would be larger if he was anywhere near good enough to play every day.

Old
GenericFan2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselLooksLikeRadar View Post
As much as I love Lupul, you have to admit this claim is rather ridiculous. I mean, Frattin had what, 7 goals in his first 10 games? That would put him on pace for 33-34 goals over a season. Try not to use "On pace" to back up an argument .

P.S: Especially when you can use the legitimate point of last year.
Of course it is, but it goes to show how dominant he is when healthy. The injuries he has suffered have been downright unlucky (Ex. broken forearm via slap shot), he's not as injury prone as many say.

Old
ColoradoAvs
Ryan O'Money

But...but... Gardiner is the next Orr D:
But seriously I think this trade was one of a very few that actually really helped both teams. No winner

Old
Nyquist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post
Because he never played for the Leafs, right? He's been a 2nd pairing, solid DFD in sheltered minutes for most of his career. He plays good on a hot team in a 48 game stint and he's all of a sudden a #1 defenseman? Well, so is Mark Fraser then! Thanks Anaheim!
Watch him play this year is what I meant, because you clearly haven't.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:44 PM
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFreak4 View Post
great actually. contributing more than Lupul, y'know actually playing in games...
Charity offseason games don't count

Old
04-29-2013, 11:45 PM
KesselLooksLikeRadar*
The People's Champ

It may seem from my input on this thread that I believe that Toronto is the clear winner of this trade; but it is hazy. A win-win deal is a pretty good way to describe this, and I am glad that the Ducks got something good in this trade as well. Some people in here though are making some ridiculous claims; but, if they can back them up, I am all for a friendly discussion of opinions

Old
FlamesFreak4
Sven'sational!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
Charity offseason games don't count
So that cuts Lupul's GP in half?

Old
Schenn
In Rod We Trust

vCash: 816
With all due respect to Beauchemin (who I am still a fan of, and liked him in Toronto) as well as the Ducks organization I could never say the Ducks won the trade. It seems closer as this point right now, but everyone seems to forget Gardiner had a concussion during his sophomore season. He is still a young kid who more likely than not will turn things around after having a very promising rookie season. Couple that with the fact that Lupul is arguably better than Kessel IMO (when healthy) and I just don't think it compares.

TBH this thread baffles me with all the random Leaf hate. Beauchemin is a great player, but I still think the Leafs will come out on top in the long run with this one.

04-29-2013, 11:46 PM
Polo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Bias View Post
I am offended that you don't think my opinion is "serious". Are the only serious opinions ones that align with yours?

You keep switching the excuse for Gardiner. First it's a sophomore slump, and now it's small sample size? Perhaps the sample size would be larger if he was anywhere near good enough to play every day.
so what exactly is your response here?

please be clear because you are beating around the bush.

Are you saying you can judge Gardiner off of 12 games instead of a great 75 game season. And you think he is a bust because he is 21 and needs a bit of tuning in the minors?

Why would I need to make an excuse? Im not the one judging a player off of 12 games vs 75.

What other players have had rough patches and were sent to the minors to refine their game and came back up? I can name about 2000. For some reason you think 12 rocky games is a bust. So yeah..I think your opinion is horrific...but not because you disagree with me

Old
Leafidelity
Registered Leafs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFreak4 View Post
So that cuts Lupul's GP in half?
Lupuls next game is Wednesday. When is Stajans?

Old
FifthLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Coast Bias View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Engine View Post
Leafs fans should know all about players who have great rookie years and then fall off the face of the earth. Raycroft wasn't quite as good after that first year, was he? And Phaneuf?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Common lets be honest a dion phaneuf slapshot wouldn't even hurt a new born baby, it's just because Lupul is injury prone that he got hurt

Kidding but a injury is a injury
Mods close this thread up. Just unnecessary flaming going on, leaf bashing, the usual. Bringing up Dions slapshot?! Clean it up.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:47 PM
Quares27

Gardiner was on the all-rookie team last season but apparently is now a bust after playing a dozen games in his sophomore season (when rookies usually slump) coming off a concussion 2 months ago. And he hasn't even been bad this season either. Carlyle just hasn't dressed him often because he prefers physical defensive d-men, just like how he has sat players like Macarthur and Frattin for players like Orr, Hamilton and McLaren to add grit.

Lupul has played at over a PPG pace for 82 games. Beauchemin has played at a 1st pairing d-man level for under 50 games. I don't see how the Ducks all of a sudden won the trade because Beauchemin had a great half season. Beauchemin is also 3 years older than Lupul and 10 years older than Gardiner. Maybe if in 5 years from now Gardiner is a career AHLer (unlikely) and Lupul turns into a 50 point player (unlikely) while Beauchemin keeps up this 1st pairing type play into his late 30s (unlikely) then we can say the Ducks won the trade.

Old
hlaverty06

Enough about Matt Stajan, were discussing beauch, Lupul and Gardiner

Old
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
It was a win win.

Closed Thread