HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Jim Nill Being Named GM of Dallas Stars Monday (Conf Post #95)

Old
04-29-2013, 02:50 PM
WesNichols14

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
Not sure if it was mentioned but Ryan Martin is expected to take Nill's spot, via CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...-jim-nill.html
Quote:
Draft-day steals
Nill, who in recent years had handed more draft responsibility to McDonnell, helped uncover several late-round steals like Pavel Datsyuk (171st overall in 1998), Henrik Zetterberg (210th in ’99), Johan Franzen (97th in 2004) and Jonathan Ericsson (291st in ’02).
I like this because the last few drafts have been great for us. much better than the ones from 04-08.
also all of those Steals were more Hakan Andersson than Nill. were still going to miss him but none the less its nice to know our drafting isn't going to go to crap. and it never hurts to have another friend in a GM's chair come trade deadline.

WesNichols14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:13 PM
Winger98
powers combined

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to Winger98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
A huge loss to the organization, almost as big of a hit as Bowman leaving. Interesting times ahead for the Wings.
It'll be a loss, but I get the impression the Wings have been building for this occurance for a few years. The talk of Nill's wife dealing with cancer has been talked about quite a bit, but I wonder if part of the reason Nill hasn't left is that he didn't feel the Wings were in a position to handle it. It's not like the guy hasn't had opportunities presented to him.

edit: such as the link above mentioned McDonnell's job growing. I don't have anything solid to base any of this on, just a feeling I get watching the org.

04-29-2013, 03:39 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Curious if he is taking anybody, this did jump out at me. Guess it was already pointed out, but I didn't know that, so it would seem McDonnell has had some force in the last couple drafts, which while early are still getting pretty decent praise.

Quote:
Nill, who in recent years had handed more draft responsibility to McDonnell
So hopefully we hold onto Joe McDonnell, Hakan Andersson and Ryan Martin. Martin and Andersson would seem locks to stick around, but I wonder if McDonnell is targeted by Nill to be his second in command down in Dallas.

Last edited by The Zetterberg Era: 04-29-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: already pointed out
The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:58 PM
HTT3*

Wonder how draft is going to work, Jim Nill already knows who DRWs like and likely want to pick. Does this mean he's going to take the late round gems DRWs plan on taking because they get better picks?

I hope Nill trades Jamie Benn to us for Eaves and Samulesson.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:08 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Watch Dallas draft all the players Detroit were looking to draft

Who's Ryan Martin? A Holland-clone?

mindfly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:11 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Who's Ryan Martin? A Holland-clone?
Nill worked for Holland for so long that I'm guessing he'll be shown to be a Holland-clone too.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:29 PM
Yemack

ha Nill kinda exposed what's the core element of our roster quality

being smart

well hopefully our organization can recover from this loss quickly

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:55 PM
ProPAIN
Be realgud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
Not sure if it was mentioned but Ryan Martin is expected to take Nill's spot, via CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/...-jim-nill.html
Look 6 posts up

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:02 PM
yave1964
22 and counting

Congratulations and best of luck to Mr. Nill who has done an amazing job with the Wings organization.
Here is hoping someone can wake Holland up and wipe the oatmeal off of his chin and keep him awake long enough for the draft. Hope Nill is gracious enough to leave his cheat sheets.

yave1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:33 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 535
Nill is on NHL Live right now talking about the Wings, how he feels about Dallas, and so on.

Says he's blessed that Jimmy D believed in him, thanks Kenny, talked about Bowman and Babcock and a lot of "unbelievable players."

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
I don't have any trust for Ryan Martin's abilities as picking players or building Grand Rapids team roster, or developing talent. He is an business guy, lawyer, cap expert, not a hockey guy at all. Does he have any experience about scouting or picking talent? Picking player potential (+development) is really THE THING to build contenders. Does Martin have that skill? Does somebody else like Joe McDonnell or Håkan Andersson do those pickings for Martin? If not, I really don't like this move. I hope it's just temporary.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=43962

Quote:
Ryan Martin
Assistant General Manager of
Hockey Administration

Martin enters his third season as assistant general manager, hockey administration and his eighth overall as a member of the front office team. Martin is primarily responsible for collective bargaining agreement (CBA) administration and compliance, salary cap management, player contract research and analysis, and salary arbitration preparation. He is also involved extensively in all facets of player contract negotiations, strategic planning and player evaluations at both the professional and amateur levels.

Prior to joining the Red Wings in 2005, Martin practiced law from 1998-99 in Denver, Colorado with the firm of Messner & Reeves, LLC, specializing in corporate, commercial transactional, and taxation law. From 1999-2003, he worked in Denver as an attorney and NHLPA-certified player agent with Kurt Overhardt, PC and KO Sports, Inc., representing professional hockey players in all facets of their careers. From 2003-05, Martin served as the in-house corporate counsel for a group of closely held businesses in Massachusetts and also worked as a part-time scout for the Omaha Lancers (USHL).

A native of Connecticut, Martin graduated from Trinity College in 1992 with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Economics and Legal Studies. He went on to earn a law degree from the University of Denver, College of Law in 1997 and an LL.M. in taxation from the University of Denver, College of Law in 1998.

Ryan and his wife, Candace, reside in suburban Detroit with their daughter, Ava, and son, Cam.

Last edited by Henkka: 04-29-2013 at 07:24 PM.
Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:05 PM
ProPAIN
Be realgud!

Quote:
He is also involved extensively in all facets of player contract negotiations, strategic planning and player evaluations at both the professional and amateur levels.
Kind of the job description, no? With support of the GM, scouting team and other members of the organization, I don't think it's a terrible move.

Look, Nill is gone, can't do anything about it. And Martin isn't confirmed is he. And people forget, if they replaced Holland with Nill, they would still have to find a replacement for Nill's old job.

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:30 PM
HTT3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
I don't have any trust for Ryan Martin's abilities as picking players or building Grand Rapids team roster, or developing talent. He is an business guy, lawyer, cap expert, not a hockey guy at all. Does he have any experience about scouting or picking talent? Picking player potential (+development) is really THE THING to build contenders. Does Martin have that skill? Does somebody else like Joe McDonnell or Håkan Andersson do those pickings for Martin? If not, I really don't like this move. I hope it's just temporary.

http://redwings.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=43962
I don't know the guy, never talked to him. The people who do know him, the people who talk to him every day, the people who get paid the big bucks to run the organization seem to like him. They likely know him more than any of us here and know what he is capable of.

HTT3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:40 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

If there's a place I trust the Wings organization unconditionally, it's in front office personnel choices. I think everything will be fine. Those guys got to pick Nill's brain for years.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:41 PM
P U L L H A R D
Picca Slice

vCash: 420
I will be interested to see if there is a noticeable change in the drafting now that Nill is gone.

04-29-2013, 08:47 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post
Wonder how draft is going to work, Jim Nill already knows who DRWs like and likely want to pick. Does this mean he's going to take the late round gems DRWs plan on taking because they get better picks?

I wonder if Nill will play the role of Yzerman and help Holland out at times (like the Quincey trade, where Colorado didn't want to trade with Detroit and Yzerman did Holland a favor). We might have the network of former Detroit GMs.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:44 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I wonder if Nill will play the role of Yzerman and help Holland out at times (like the Quincey trade, where Colorado didn't want to trade with Detroit and Yzerman did Holland a favor). We might have the network of former Detroit GMs.
Holland did overpay for Quincey so it wasn't that much of a favor.

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:28 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
Holland did overpay for Quincey so it wasn't that much of a favor.
Right, but Holland wanted Quincey and Colorado wouldn't trade with him. Yzerman was the one who made it happen.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:47 PM
Number1RedWingsFan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTT3 View Post

There is no way in the world that Eaves and Samulesson will get us Jamie Benn, Yeah like the Stars are going to give us there talanted Winger for garbage like that get real will never happen.

Number1RedWingsFan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:52 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
There is no way in the world that Eaves and Samulesson will get us Jamie Benn, Yeah like the Stars are going to give us there talanted Winger for garbage like that get real will never happen.
what if we threw in the rights to Cleary?

ricky0034 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:06 AM
TheNextDaigle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
what if we threw in the rights to Cleary?

TheNextDaigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 04:35 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Right, but Holland wanted Quincey and Colorado wouldn't trade with him. Yzerman was the one who made it happen.
Bc Yzerman got the best player of the deal and could see in the future that Tampa and Det would be div. rivals and how bad Quincey would be and how everyone robbed Detroit on that deal.

InjuredChoker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:00 AM
RaySheppard

So they deny the Leafs a chance to speak with Nill and a few years later tell the Stars to go ahead. If Mike Illitch isn't running the team anymore, which one of his kids is?

RaySheppard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:06 AM
TCNorthstars

vCash: 599
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number1RedWingsFan52 View Post
He was being facetious.

TCNorthstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 07:43 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaySheppard View Post
So they deny the Leafs a chance to speak with Nill and a few years later tell the Stars to go ahead. If Mike Illitch isn't running the team anymore, which one of his kids is?
Chris Ilitch, I do believe.