HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pittsburgh Penguins Adopt a Band Wagon Fan

Old
04-29-2013, 06:28 AM
BreakfastatMarios

vCash: 500
Pittsburgh Penguins Adopt a Band Wagon Fan

I know there are a lot of new Pens fans on board, folks who are rooting for IGGY/Morrow/Murray etc and other young fans who just like the Penguins who are just starting out.

Let's make a thread where we can pair up some of our bandwagon fans with a Pens Vet for these playoffs.

All new bandwagons get an official Penguins for Joining.

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:50 AM
IcedCapp
You're wrong. :(

Based on some light reading in the "Stanley Cup Playoffs" forum, I think this thread will remain pretty empty...

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:13 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
I don't know.. Calgary and maybe Dallas fans could jump on board. Their captains are playing great hockey.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:21 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Being the villainous team is fun.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 07:58 AM
IcedCapp

Quote:
Originally Posted by dying alive View Post
being the villainous team is fun.
small words, woman!!

Old
04-29-2013, 08:41 AM
regard

Are we sure theres any room left on this bandwagon?

regard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:45 AM
Ogelthorpe
Who do you play for?

I'm pretty sure most of the Flames fans are going to be on board for the bandwagon this year....not sure about anyone else though.

I would be glad to be a sponsor of a bandwagon fan from Calgary.

Ogelthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Jaded-Fan

I thought that here in Pittsburgh we are all Bandwagon fans.

Not me though. I have been here since hockey was invented as a game in 2005.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 08:59 AM
BreakfastatMarios

Bandwagon Fan here since 1987, odd I started really getting into the Penguins the Year Crosby was born.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:52 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Mod Powers

Sid-casm?

If you've been a fan since 1987 I'm pretty sure that disqualifies you for bandwagon status unless you only watch in years when they do really well. That's over 25 years.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 10:56 AM
IcedCapp

oops

Old
04-29-2013, 12:01 PM
Riptide

My friend is a massive Iggy fan (going back to his days in junior). And while he wants to see Iggy win a cup... he refuses to cheer for the Pens.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 12:44 PM
BreakfastatMarios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Sid-casm?

If you've been a fan since 1987 I'm pretty sure that disqualifies you for bandwagon status unless you only watch in years when they do really well. That's over 25 years.
Yeah but I was original Mario Bandwagon fan. And yest have been watching over 25 years now and still love the team as much as I have since I first saw it.

I'm being a little Sidcastic lol just cause nobody outside of Pittsburgh accepts the fact that Pittsburgh does have some great hardcore fan.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:11 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

I have often wondered also at which point people stop being considered bandwagoners and start being just fans. I mean, Sid & Geno were drafted 8 & 9 years ago respectively. That's a pretty long bandwagoning.

Obviously this is just a pointless exercise because Pens fans will always be considered bandwagoners by people who have absolutely nothing worthwhile to add to a conversation, it's just something that I find curious.

Old
04-29-2013, 01:33 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I have often wondered also at which point people stop being considered bandwagoners and start being just fans. I mean, Sid & Geno were drafted 8 & 9 years ago respectively. That's a pretty long bandwagoning.

Obviously this is just a pointless exercise because Pens fans will always be considered bandwagoners by people who have absolutely nothing worthwhile to add to a conversation, it's just something that I find curious.
Yeah I don't know. I was always a huge Mario fan (Mario over Wayne )... but never really followed or watched hockey until 13 years ago - so while I followed what was happening in Pittsburgh... things were pretty bleak. Then was a Crosby fan before he was drafted. I remember watching the memorial cup in Prince George at a bar and pissing off some other patrons cheering for Rimouski. But it wasn't until he was drafted that I really started following and watching the Pens again.

Is that a bandwagon fan? I don't know. In some ways it feels like it... but in all honesty I don't care. As far as I'm concerned I'm a Pens fan (Leafs (2nd fav team) are a distant 2nd).

Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

I don't understand the "bandwagoner" criteria, I guess. Becoming a fan of a team that's good? In that case, is everyone who has become a Wings fan in the post-Dead Things era a bandwagoner? People either don't remember or choose to forget how abysmal the Wings were and how they weren't exactly packing the fans into the stands. The Sabres fans are a lot fewer & far between here than they used to be and there are a lot more Kings fans, just as two examples. Every fan base bandwagons to some extent. Every single one.

I started watching the Pens in about 1986, I think. I may be a year off in either direction but I was a little kid so I don't remember for sure. It was post-Mario but several years pre-Cups. Even with this many years invested and so many ups and downs I don't understand why people get on such a high horse about bandwagoners. Who really gives a ****?

Old
04-29-2013, 02:15 PM
Hikaru Kitsune
Voltic Spiral

If someone doesn't jump ship to another team in the bad years, it's hard to call them bandwagon, IMO.

I'd technically be considered bandwagon by HF standards (picking up in 1991), but I've stuck with the team. There were years where it was harder to watch due to there being periods where the Harrisburg market wasn't carrying their games, but they've been available to watch here more or less consistently since 2003 (with a brief period where Comcast Harrisburg took FSN-P away in 2004).

Hikaru Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:21 PM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
I don't understand the "bandwagoner" criteria, I guess. Becoming a fan of a team that's good? In that case, is everyone who has become a Wings fan in the post-Dead Things era a bandwagoner? People either don't remember or choose to forget how abysmal the Wings were and how they weren't exactly packing the fans into the stands. The Sabres fans are a lot fewer & far between here than they used to be and there are a lot more Kings fans, just as two examples. Every fan base bandwagons to some extent. Every single one.

I started watching the Pens in about 1986, I think. I may be a year off in either direction but I was a little kid so I don't remember for sure. It was post-Mario but several years pre-Cups. Even with this many years invested and so many ups and downs I don't understand why people get on such a high horse about bandwagoners. Who really gives a ****?
I figured it was a playoff bandwagon thing. If that's the case, count me in.
If not, screw you guys I'm rooting for the Islanders.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:31 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Engine View Post
I figured it was a playoff bandwagon thing. If that's the case, count me in.
If not, screw you guys I'm rooting for the Islanders.
I am sure it was not aimed at you. We all have been called bandwagon fans who came on board with the Crosby draft, so he was making a general comment.

Feel welcome here. You would be welcome whether you joined in the fun of what we hope is a long playoff run, or even if your are an Isle fan who just wants to respectfully talk hockey.

But nothing was aimed at you in his comments.

Jaded-Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:34 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
And we are one of the few boards that welcomes fans of every team in discussion. From being a mod, I know a lot of boards keep things pretty tight.

Definitely hang out and enjoy the stay. The bandwagon thing goes way back to Lemieux and then again w/ Sid.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:56 PM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
So who gets paired up with who?

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:08 AM
Hikaru Kitsune
Voltic Spiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
So who gets paired up with who?
I figured we just make them drink from a cup, then chant "We Accept Them, One of Us, Gooble Gobble Gooble Gobble".

Hikaru Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:12 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Embrace The Hate!!!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikaru Kitsune View Post
I figured we just make them drink from a cup, then chant "We Accept Them, One of Us, Gooble Gobble Gooble Gobble".
Well done.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:28 AM
Allen Degenerate
Embrace the Hate

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan View Post
I am sure it was not aimed at you. We all have been called bandwagon fans who came on board with the Crosby draft, so he was making a general comment.

Feel welcome here. You would be welcome whether you joined in the fun of what we hope is a long playoff run, or even if your are an Isle fan who just wants to respectfully talk hockey.

But nothing was aimed at you in his comments.
Oh, I'm definitely bandwagoning. I'm a huge fan of Crosby, and since the Avs missed the playoffs, I've found myself rooting for the Pens pretty hard.

Allen Degenerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 12:34 AM
Crozbar

I became a fan in 1990-1991 ... So you know it's been a long bandwagon, but a band wagon nonetheless. Just jumping on a hot team, what more can you expect of a 6 year old ...

Crozbar is offline   Reply With Quote