HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-29-2013, 09:22 PM
maplepred

vCash: 500
Hey guys. If you read back to the first page of this thread. The first several replies all seemed to think barkov would/should be the guy and we would be lucky to get him.

Isn't that ironic?!

Old
04-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Mercalius

Not going to pretend I wouldn't have preferred MacKinnon, but I'm beyond thrilled with the pick. I don't believe in drafting solely for need, but when need aligns with BPA, it's a match made in Heaven. So he has some skating-speed issues? Big deal. If he didn't, he may not be there at 4.

Let's just hope Poile doesn't do something unexpected and sticks to most consensus draft boards.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
I don't know why, but I have a feeling Smith gets moved. Poile is going to be looking for a veteran to replace Erat, so move Smith, Ellis, 2013 3rd and 2014 2nd for Vanek.
There's little in that package that will make Buffalo eager to send us their best player.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:17 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Watch him pick Nurse

Old
04-29-2013, 10:19 PM
Mercalius

Some good analysis regarding Barkov:

http://flyersfaithful.com/2013/04/26...-eric-lindros/

Quote:
Some scouts challenge Barkov’s skating ability and speed. But that is a result of his tremendous positioning skills. His smarts allow him to decipher the play and creatively weave throughout the ice eyeing the puck movement. By doing this he appears to be gliding and not skating hard, which is a gross underestimation of his abilities. Barkov has very good skating skills and can turn on the jets if he needs to burn a defender from the outside.

No Finnish-born player has ever been selected number one overall in the NHL Draft. If Barkov were born two weeks later, he would have been available for the 2014 NHL Draft, and would’ve been the consensus number one pick. Because of the elite CHL talent entering this draft, the European skater’s stock is dropping to no fault of his own. Barkov has the array of abilities and sky-high ceiling to be a top pick.
Videos:

Highlight Montage: Check out the 1:40 mark and the pin-point pass. Love his natural knack for rebounds also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZvj7bZJAA0

Perfect Reverse-Datsyuk SO goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iSl3esllJI

Old
04-29-2013, 10:24 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercalius View Post

Videos:

Highlight Montage: Check out the 1:40 mark and the pin-point pass. Love his natural knack for rebounds also.

1:10 of that video

Old
04-29-2013, 10:36 PM
Preddownsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke View Post
There's little in that package that will make Buffalo eager to send us their best player.
I disagree. If Buffalo is blowing it up and starting a rebuild they are going to want good young prospects and draft picks back. Vanek had what amounted to a good half-season. I dig the guy but he hasn't played a full season in years and is more of a 60-70 point guy rather than a 80-90 pt guy. He's a notch above Erat but not much higher. And most ppl think we got a good deal by just getting Forsberg for Erat.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:38 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

I know nothing of Hockey prospects...

Old
04-29-2013, 10:41 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
I know nothing of Hockey prospects...
Basically...

Colorado takes a guy projected to be Weber-ish
Florida takes a guy projected to be Tavares-ish
Tampa takes a guy projected to be Kane-ish
We take a guy projected to be Thornton-ish

Old
04-29-2013, 10:55 PM
Iron Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
I disagree. If Buffalo is blowing it up and starting a rebuild they are going to want good young prospects and draft picks back. Vanek had what amounted to a good half-season. I dig the guy but he hasn't played a full season in years and is more of a 60-70 point guy rather than a 80-90 pt guy. He's a notch above Erat but not much higher. And most ppl think we got a good deal by just getting Forsberg for Erat.
Games:

Not exactly injury prone. I don't disagree that he's mostly a 60-70 point guy, which is a very, very good first line player in the league. However, he's coming off an above PPG season where he was basically the only offense on an awful team, he's going to be overpaid for by some team.

Last edited by Iron Duke: 04-29-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 11:03 PM
ChesterCopperpot1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Basically...

Colorado takes a guy projected to be Weber-ish
Florida takes a guy projected to be Tavares-ish
Tampa takes a guy projected to be Kane-ish
We take a guy projected to be Thornton-ish
Is the Russian kid scaring people off because of the KHL?

Old
04-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandyfan84 View Post
Is the Russian kid scaring people off because of the KHL?
Yep, he's signed there for two more years. Even if he does come over eventually, it won't be for awhile.

No idea how valid long-term concerns are, but he's supposed to be as talented as Mackinnon and Drouin.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:33 PM
Soundgarden

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Yep, he's signed there for two more years. Even if he does come over eventually, it won't be for awhile.

No idea how valid long-term concerns are, but he's supposed to be as talented as Mackinnon and Drouin.
He's been described as Malkin-esque.

Old
04-29-2013, 11:36 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
Yes, he injured his shoulder in game 4 of the SM-Liiga quarterfinals. He's said he'd be fit by the time the NHL training camps begin. Most likely won't be able to do much at the Combine.
well then he will fit right in with all the other shoulder injured Preds...

is this going to require surgery?

suddenly Im leery...

Old
04-29-2013, 11:38 PM
predfan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercalius View Post
Some good analysis regarding Barkov:

http://flyersfaithful.com/2013/04/26...-eric-lindros/

Videos:

Perfect Reverse-Datsyuk SO goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iSl3esllJI
He has way better hands than I realized. I would be ecstatic with this kid. We are guaranteed one of Barkov,Mackinnon or Drouin. Love it

Old
04-30-2013, 12:06 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

suddenly Im leery...
yepp.. suppose to be out a few months.. highly doubt he does anything at the combine..

Old
04-30-2013, 12:16 AM
Mercalius

Quote:

suddenly Im leery...
Quote:
Recovery Time

The recovery time from the surgery depends on many factors like the individuals age, health conditions, previous medical history, and extent of the injury. A minimum of 2 months time will be necessary to resume normal activities and perform a full range of motions, and for some people this can even go up to 3-5 months. The kind of rehabilitation program that is undertaken and the nature of dislocated shoulder exercises that are performed also play an integral part in this process. The recovery time can only be considered complete when the entire range of motions can be carried out by the injured shoulder, and the old strength has returned to it. Resuming strenuous activities before the recovery is complete, can result in a major and painful relapse of the condition.

I'm a big Titans fan, and Locker had a similar (yet worse) shoulder injury with a full separation that allowed him to play, albeit not well, until he was able to address it with surgery this offseason. He had the surgery at season's end, and is expected to fully recover by the the time training camp hits. He had the surgery in February and the doctors have already given him the clear to participate in OTA's in May so long as there's little/minimal contact. Barkov's dislocation isn't as serious, though if he dislocates it more in the future may eventually require surgery. Still, it's a pretty common procedure that should only sideline an athlete 4-6 months even if that were to happen. I'm no doctor, but I wouldn't worry too much over it.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:16 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNecksCurse View Post
yepp.. suppose to be out a few months.. highly doubt he does anything at the combine..
hmmmm.... how likely is mr conservative/safe pick poile to draft a guy with an injury like this?

edit.. didnt see the post above... so is he or is he not having surgery this summer? and is the injury just a separation?

Old
04-30-2013, 12:33 AM
thomast

Quote:
hmmmm.... how likely is mr conservative/safe pick poile to draft a guy with an injury like this?

edit.. didnt see the post above... so is he or is he not having surgery this summer? and is the injury just a separation?
http://yle.fi/urheilu/aleksander_bar...alussa/6561677

He has already been in surgery. His doctor stated in that interview that Barkov will need rest of the spring to recover from the injury. He also stated that Barkov can most likely start practising at the beginning of the summer. Doctor also says that it's not serious injury just typical dislocated shoulder.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:35 AM
NoNecksCurse

Quote:

yes to having surgery. im no doctor but his shoulder is dislocated.. not sure if anything substantial is torn too.. doctors say its nothing too worry about.. heard that one before.. more recently, glasstaud... ugh

Old
04-30-2013, 12:39 AM
Mercalius

For what it's worth, his injury is an extremely well known issue and he's still projected as the #4 pick in 95% of the mocks and draft analysis I've read. Until there's serious reason to worry over it, I wouldn't.

The knocks on him still focus on his skating speed and that he may not have as much upside as Nichushkin even with the injury right in front of all of the pundits. It's a safe bet it's nothing.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:19 AM
thomast

Here's some clips off all shifts on a FEL game. It's not highlight reel but every single shift in a game. Player isolation cam? He's the one with golden helmet #16. Remember that he is just 17 playing against men in one of the best leagues in the world.

period 1:

Period 2:

period 3:

Old
04-30-2013, 03:57 AM
edd1e

Dislocated shoulder ain't that bad. I bet the surgery was just to make sure its properly put back in place. Nothing's broken in there and that's what i'm happy about.

I've been scouting Barkov for a year and half and the thing about him that i notice is his ability to predict the game and movement of the puck so well. He can play 20-23min games because of that. He also knows where most of the goals come and thats in the crease/front of the goal.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:17 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by edd1e View Post
Dislocated shoulder ain't that bad. I bet the surgery was just to make sure its properly put back in place. Nothing's broken in there and that's what i'm happy about.

I've been scouting Barkov for a year and half and the thing about him that i notice is his ability to predict the game and movement of the puck so well. He can play 20-23min games because of that. He also knows where most of the goals come and thats in the crease/front of the goal.
Other thing is that his team in Finland Tappara plays very similar game as preds i call it as "sled dog" hockey. Pretty straight foward hockey with everyone knowing their duties and roles but the main thing is working together. Tampere is the nashville of finland and Tappara is the predators of FEL. Perfect fit. Tappara had a defenceman who had huge slapshot(Teemu Aalto)he and Barkov had pretty nice chemistry. The thing is that Barkov passes so well so it's easy to blast effective one timer. It's exciting to see how it works with Weber. They could have pretty nice chemistry in the future.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:59 AM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundgarden View Post
He's been described as Malkin-esque.
Well, he's certainly no Malkin. Malkin has elite hockey IQ, Nichushkin's is below average.

Closed Thread