HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

C Aleksander Barkov - Tampere Tappara, FEL (2013, 2nd overall, Florida) III

Closed Thread

Old
04-16-2013, 02:04 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 4250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas0Aequitas View Post
Same here but sadly unless we have a big turnaround next year (including change in coaching and management) I think ROR might still want out.

As an Avs fan, I'd be happy with any player in the top 5 (Jones, MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm) but would prefer to have Jones. Doesn't look like that will happen unless we win the lottery.
Hard to say. I could definitely see Florida wanting a FW. The big question mark is what would Calgary potentially want.

Old
04-16-2013, 03:47 PM
thomast

vCash: 500
Listened Button's new podcast he stated something about free agency cutoff date in cba at june 30th and Barkov+mackinnon are born at september. So teams which drafts them gets extra year based on free agency rule before they qualify for free agency. Extra year before they will be UFA. So 8 years instead of 7 years before they hit free agency.

At 22 minute mark if people didn't understand.

http://www.tsn.ca/window/podcastcent...id=17190&id=65

Don't know if that will be big bonus.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Listened Button's new podcast he stated something about free agency cutoff date in cba at june 30th and Barkov+mackinnon are born at september. So teams which drafts them gets extra year based on free agency rule before they qualify for free agency. Extra year before they will be UFA. So 8 years instead of 7 years before they hit free agency.

At 22 minute mark if people didn't understand.

http://www.tsn.ca/window/podcastcent...id=17190&id=65

Don't know if that will be big bonus.
Interesting. Depends on what happens with the next CBA too though. Each side can opt out seven years from now.

Definitely an added bonus, but I don't think you take one player over the other based on this.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:51 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Interesting. Depends on what happens with the next CBA too though. Each side can opt out seven years from now.

Definitely an added bonus, but I don't think you take one player over the other based on this.
If everything is equal or very close it might make teams choosing the other between the 2.

Old
04-23-2013, 05:43 PM
LastWordArmy
HFB Partner

http://lastwordonsports.com/aleksander-barkov-2013-nhl-draft-player-profile-4/

Aleksander Barkov: 2013 NHL Draft Player Profile #4

Old
04-24-2013, 12:07 AM
AintLifeGrand

Isnt Barkov an upgraded Granlund? Remember in Granlund's draft year, a common knock against him was skating as well..

Old
04-24-2013, 12:14 AM
Gaps

Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
Isnt Barkov an upgraded Granlund? Remember in Granlund's draft year, a common knock against him was skating as well..
Nope, it's actually a terrible comparison and I'm saying this as someone who has an extended viewing of both. The only things they have in common are that they're Finnish, play center (although Granlund is a center/winger and Barkov is a pure center) and that they could both do some work on their skating. Barkov plays a totally different style than Granlund. Granlund's style has been controlling the pace of the game (namely slowing it down), Barkov doesn't do that on a constant basis but only every now and then. The other big difference is their 2-way game. Granlund had to learn it and still has a lot to learn, while Barkov is a natural at it. Then there's obviously the fact that one of them is bigger than Mikko Koivu and the other one is a midget.

Last edited by Gaps: 04-24-2013 at 12:20 AM.
Old
04-29-2013, 08:21 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Welcome to Nashville, Sasha!

Old
04-29-2013, 08:35 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I've heard the name Joe Thornton thrown around as a comparable...anything there?

It looks like he'll be a Pred, and I, for one,am thrilled.

Old
04-29-2013, 09:38 PM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I've heard the name Joe Thornton thrown around as a comparable...anything there?

It looks like he'll be a Pred, and I, for one,am thrilled.
As someone who's watched plenty of both, I'd throw Joe's name out. Sasha's a Joe Thornton/Anze Kopitar type.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Welcome to Nashville, Sasha!
It definitely seems meant to be...just like Galchenyuk and the Habs last year.

Nashville has drafted a lot of Finns, usually 1 per year on average recently, it's just a perfect fit.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:25 AM
thomast

It looks now that Barkov will move from nashville of finland to nashville and his team Tappara plays similar "sled dog" hockey as Preds. Ideal place to Barkov and the best thing is that he doesen't have to change much from his game.

Old
04-30-2013, 04:59 AM
toewsintangibles

Quote:
It looks now that Barkov will move from nashville of finland to nashville and his team Tappara plays similar "sled dog" hockey as Preds. Ideal place to Barkov and the best thing is that he doesen't have to change much from his game.
But Tappara doesn't really play like that

Barkov to Nashville would be one of the worst case scenarios. Terrible team philosophy will limit his scoring and that franchise is going nowhere fast

Old
04-30-2013, 05:29 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post

Barkov to Nashville would be one of the worst case scenarios. Terrible team philosophy will limit his scoring and that franchise is going nowhere fast
Tappara doesen't play straight foward hockey? The main thing is working as a team. Tight team defense with not induvidualism in their team. I call it "sled dog" hockey(yhteistyö-jääkiekko) where the game is well structured. Tappara plays in finland and because of bigger rink they don't play exactly like that but similar philosophy in both teams. Why you think that team has terrible team philosophy? Preds has been very good in the past years except for this year. Preds haven't just been able to draft any high-end offensive talents other than Radulov who chose to play in europe. Barkov is the guy who blossoms in the enviroment where the team actually have some structure and way to play. Look at team Finland at WJC, that team didn't have any structure Barkov at times looked lost. I think that Barkov is great fit for Preds and vice versa. I think that Barkov is Trotz kind of player. He could move as #1 C quicker than in other teams. You seem to think that Barkov can't play offensive game in nashville? Or Barkov doesen't get high-end linemates to play with?

I've been watching almost all Tappara games from last couple of years. It's hard to compare NA team to european team for sure but Tappara has same mentality as Preds i'm certain of that.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:59 AM
agent082

I hope Nashville takes him. I think it would be the best place for him.

I also hope he plays one more year in FEL and is a best player in league like Selanne and Saku Koivu were before they went to NHL.

Last edited by agent082: 04-30-2013 at 08:04 AM.
Old
04-30-2013, 08:47 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post

terrible team philosophy that has made it one of the most consistent, successful teams of the last 10 years?

terrible team philsophy that is built around a top three goaltender and a top 2 defenseman?

Terrible team philosophy that is suddenly looking like it's going to have an offensive core to add to the elite defensive core, with Forsberg, Wilson, and whomever we draft this year...in addition to Aberg, Beck, etc...that are already in the system?

What a terrible franchise. They should just do everyone a favor and draft Curtis "Mike Fisher" Lazar, because that's all they should have in their line up.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:12 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by agent082 View Post
I hope Nashville takes him. I think it would be the best place for him.

I also hope he plays one more year in FEL and is a best player in league like Selanne and Saku Koivu were before they went to NHL.
But does Barkov have much to learn in FEL anymore? He played about 20 minutes per night in every situation. Was one of the top players in the league. Barkov have developed better in tougher competition he played U20 league as 15 year old. He wasn't top players in that U20 league still he was good for make jump to FEL and this jump worried me because i thought that it might kill his developement because he can't get as much icetime and offensive domination(preferred U20 league instead of FEL for him) but he played solid overall game and had 16points in 32 games in FEL as a 16 year old. After that his production and every area of his game boosted out having 48 points in 52 games. The developement path was right for him.

I could see him getting same developement path for the preds aswell. We are talking physically mature player who is mentally as mature. I don't expect big impact offensively on his rookie year but solid all-around game. after that when he has gotten used to NA hockey he could make big impact in every aspect in the game.

I don't think that any of the developement paths are bad for Barkov but he is certainly close being NHL-ready and might be already at the october when the season start. Looking at the past developement paths i think that Barkov does make the jump and it is best for his developement. He is already played 2 seasons against men and has alot of experience despite being just 17. I think that team which drafts him play him for 5 games and then make the final decisions.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:35 AM
Oan

Am I the only one who sees his next season clearly? He attends the NHL-teams camp in fall, and if team deems him good enough, then plays the 9 games with them. After that, he either sticks in NHL for rest of the season or heads back to FEL. Very simple and obvious path imo.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:50 AM
Huffman

Nashville had a bad season this year but you guys should remember that they were 8th in goals scored last season, right behind Detroit and Chicago and just ahead of Washington. This IS a good team that underperformed and was plagued by injuries in this shortened season.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:55 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oan View Post
Am I the only one who sees his next season clearly? He attends the NHL-teams camp in fall, and if team deems him good enough, then plays the 9 games with them. After that, he either sticks in NHL for rest of the season or heads back to FEL. Very simple and obvious path imo.
I think it's 5 games today till a year get burned off ELC. Not sure...

Old
04-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Quote:
I think it's 5 games today till a year get burned off ELC. Not sure...
9 games in a normal non-lockout season.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:59 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

If he's drafted by Nashville, I think he'll get a shot, but ultimately I don't see him starting there right away.

Forsberg is a year older and is now a little bit more "proven" and comfortable with the coaching staff, and Poile has said they plan to be active in free agency this summer, so it will depend on how much he "wows" in a limited look.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:15 AM
agent082

Quote:
But does Barkov have much to learn in FEL anymore?
Why Selanne and Koivu spend a year after 53 and 58 points season? Selanne played 4 seasons against men and Koivu 3. Barkov can learn to be the best guy in the league. I think it would be good for him to dominate FEL and be 1st line center in next year WCH.

Don't get me wrong. I think there is a good chance he is pretty good in NHL next year but I feel it's good for his career to be superstar one year before going to NHL.

Last edited by agent082: 04-30-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Old
04-30-2013, 10:37 AM
Oan

Quote:
Why Selanne and Koivu spend a year after 53 and 58 points season? Selanne played 4 seasons against men and Koivu 3.

... I feel it's good for his career to be superstar one year before going to NHL.
FEL had much better level of talent and competition back when Selänne and S. Koivu were playing there.

Also, I have completely different opinion on him being a "superstar" in FEL, what good is that going to do? Nothing good can be really gained from that, being superstar in FEL only has cons, all it does is just add up the pressure for him to succeed right away in NHL, and maybe even make the player feel cocky. If he goes there next fall there really isn't that much pressure, since there will not have been much time to hype him up (too much).

Old
04-30-2013, 10:42 AM
thomast

Quote:
Why Selanne and Koivu spend a year after 53 and 58 points season? Selanne played 4 seasons against men and Koivu 3. Barkov can learn to be the best guy in the league. I think it would be good for him to dominate FEL and be 1st line center in next year WCH.

Don't get me wrong. I think there is a good chance he is pretty good in NHL next year but I feel it's good for his career to be superstar one year before going to NHL.
Different players has different developement in different enviroment. Selänne played in junior league for long time and Saku started his FEL career at 17 or 18 year old. They both dominated the junior league before they stepped into next level and it paid out. It's clear that Barkov has developed better in tougher competition. He wasn't top players in U20 league like selänne or Koivu were but was able to step up into FEL as 16 year old. That worried me that it would kill his developement because he plays in FEL as 16 year old. Why not play u20 league and dominate it and be superstar in that league before stepping up. I was worried if he ever had a chance to be superstar player in FEL aswell. But he proved me wrong. He gained superstar status in FEL and it was clear that it was right decision to play FEL as 16 year old. It paid off in every way.

I feel same about his developement for the NHL. Barkov is kind of player that he developes better in tougher competition. His past developement have proved it. I don't believe that he is kind of player who makes many rookie mistakes and hurts his team in sake of his developement. I think he's ready for the smaller role in the NHL. #3 C in nashville with maybe PP time but more about shutting down opposite players and playing solid PK but wouldn't be suprised if he takes over the 2nd C role in the second half of the season.

Closed Thread