HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For the 2013 campaign, I was most disappointed ________

Old
04-29-2013, 10:49 AM
kirby11

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Two, but yes, it's a scary thought.
Yep, forgot enzo potted 20 once

kirby11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Jame
Dream '16

After searching for an identity for years... the Rochester Core finally found it... they are underachievers

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:17 AM
hizzoner

Tyler Myers

Specialty teams-especially the power play

Team defence---our inability to get out of our own end on a consistent basis and the constant unforced turnovers in our end

Our entry into offensive end especially with the odd man---we make it easy to defend against us by forgoing the triangle, never setting up the screen, wingers go wide so rebounds unless they go to the corners mean we do not get the puck--and by the time we get it we have 3 guys below the goal line--ugh!

If our players are coachable then fire all the coaches. If they are not then fire the scouts and the GM

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 11:18 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
The winnger? That Pegula/Black continue to show faith in Regier's stewardship of a terrible on-ice product.

--------------------------------------------------------

Others for consideration:

That Regier didn't sack Ruff when he seemingly lost the team last year and then waiting until they were nearly dead before finally pulling the plug this year.

Regier's inability to replace Derek Roy or Paul Gaustad's role with a capable body.

Tyler Myers seemingly being out of condition again and hurt... again.

That the forwards had to be shown by two AHL-recalls how to come back deep enough in their own zone to A) defend and B) give the defensemen an outlet pass.

That the assistant coaches still have jobs after the abominable specialty teams display of the just completed season.

Not landing at the very top of the draft (3.6% chance lottery pending) despite how crap this team was.

Potentially worse next year.

Waiting through the lockout to be subjected to bland, boring, poor hockey.

Drew Stafford's shooting percentage.

Tyler Ennis as a checking center.

Robyn Regehr as a physical player.

Jordan Leopold as a player.

My job.
I agree completey with the bold above.

Jacob582 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:22 PM
joshjull

The pointless lockout.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Jim Bob
I Believe

I could go with Ville Leino not providing much of anything again.

I could go with the team missing the playoffs yet likely picking outside the top 5 again.

I could go with Regier and Ruff remaining with the team if the rebuild began at last year's deadline.

But, I'll go with Tyler Myers not being ready to go and having a terrible season.

Jim Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 02:55 AM
sand1138man

I think you have to go with Myers as reason 1 and 2.
1- Myers not contributing anything all year positive to the team
2- It's one thing to struggle with your game and not produce points during the year, but I have never seen a worse defensive collapse of a player who's job it is to play defense. He just never seemed to have a clue what he was even doing out there, and it seemed like half the goals that were scored on us could directly be contributed to Myers either screening the goalie, not covering the man in front, or not using his body to keep players from skating in on net, or getting caught deep in the zone, or sometimes just losing the puck or passing it directly to the forchecker......I honestly believe that if Myers would have gotten hurt the first week of the season for the whole year, and one of the young d-men played all year in his stead, we would have made the playoffs. Erhoff had to cover myers a$$ so much this year that it messed with his own game. It is just sad because he is just not a smart player. He can skate, he has the enormouse reach......but he does not know what to do.....the difference between him and Scott is that Scott does what he is PAID to do, no more and no less.....Myers actually gets paid to produce for us and actually is more of a help to the team we play against.

Also I don't mind that Darcy is still here....I think he should have been fired after the tragedy of 07', and no matter what he will be defined by that horrible mismanagement of star players........but.....after two game this year they started talking about how this sabres team (if they stick to the new tough attitude) could be really good....and a lot of us bought into that.

Anyone surprise that darcy is coming back shouldn't be.....he KNEW he would be here for YEARS to come when he traded for all these picks instead of trying to make a risky crazy move.....but how can you keep a guy managing your players when other gm's have said that he is not a good negotiating partner, and some gms don't even want to bother dealing with him.

sand1138man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:12 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
By who? With what? In what? By what? That...what? Fill it in. Could be a player, an outcome, a hope that fell short... Take it where you'd like.

What was the most disappointing thing - player, outcome, mood, temperament, what have you - to you after the '13 season commenced?
It's easier to list the few things that weren't disappointing than to prioritize those that were.

Only 3 positives happened IMO:

1. Vanek's torrid start.
2. Pysyk's emergence.
3. Brian Duff's debut on MSG.

Everything else associated with the team was a disappointment, even though I knew the team would be bad coming out of the lockout.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:27 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post
It's easier to list the few things that weren't disappointing than to prioritize those that were.

Only 3 positives happened IMO:

1. Vanek's torrid start.
2. Pysyk's emergence.
3. Brian Duff's debut on MSG.

Everything else associated with the team was a disappointment, even though I knew the team would be bad coming out of the lockout.
I'd add Flynn to your list, as well as Weber settling into a regular efficient role and Ehrhoff maintaining a competent rating in an abysmal overall unit.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 03:52 AM
Bob Jackson

Just the whole team basically and how they performed on a daily basis. Again.

Last season as I was watching Sabres I found myself thinking how on earth these guys can keep their jobs. It was horrible. I don't think I have never seen hockey that bad.

This season wasn't that awful but boy was it still bad. Again it was the same story. Players playing without any passion, lack of focus during the game, sloppy passing, weak defensive playing and careless marking.

Everyone can argue that all this (especially problems in the d-zone) was due Lindy Ruff and he's weak and worn out strategic thinking but it seemes to me the real problem was that players just didn't care. No-one cared if the team wins or loses (exept Ott). Again these guys went there to play but they hadn't any will or heart in the process.

It just looked that players gave a **** about the team and where it was heading. Until it was too late. Again.

Bob Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 06:47 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1138man View Post
I think you have to go with Myers as reason 1 and 2.

Anyone surprise that darcy is coming back shouldn't be.....he KNEW he would be here for YEARS to come when he traded for all these picks instead of trying to make a risky crazy move....but how can you keep a guy managing your players when other gm's have said that he is not a good negotiating partner, and some gms don't even want to bother dealing with him.
Is this true because B.gleason "reported" it and one GM (Burke) said he doesn't talk trade with DR?

Regier made the biggest trade at this year's deadline and last year's deadline. Not sure he is being hampered a lot in making trades.

With that said, either DR should have already been fired or TP needs to stop meddling in hockey player decisions.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:52 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I'd add Flynn to your list, as well as Weber settling into a regular efficient role and Ehrhoff maintaining a competent rating in an abysmal overall unit.
I agree.

And I'd add Enroth got back on track.

(The discussion went from waive him nobody will claim him
to:
Can he be our number 1a or 1b goalie next year?)

Old
04-30-2013, 06:58 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
I agree.

And I'd add Enroth got back on track.

(The discussion went from waive him nobody will claim him
to:
Can he be our number 1a or 1b goalie next year?)
I know these are fightin' words for Bucky but they're not meant to be. AT THE PRESENT MOMENT, I view Enroth as a barely acceptable NHL back up. Again, acceptable, but barely. Sorry I just do. I hope he improves. I hope he develops into a solid dependable backup. And then develops into a solid dependable starter in the NHL. But if the Sabres are going to rely on Enroth next season to play 35-40 games along with [enter mediocre or unproven name here], I think the goaltending position is in for a world of hurt. Again, I hope Enroth improves.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 06:50 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Personally the following

The decision to keep Regier. His failed, let him move on, he deserves a fresh chance as much as us.

Ennis. I've never thought much of him but even the little I expect I find him lacking.

Miller. Not his performance, as usual I don't have a problem with that, but his attitude has sucked of late. His an emotional guy but things are clearly getting to him and it seems to me that his had enough. I have no problem with the upfront, honest personality but it's crossed the line in to 'I'm just sick of all of you' for me now.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Personally the following

The decision to keep Regier. His failed, let him move on, he deserves a fresh chance as much as us.

Ennis. I've never thought much of him but even the little I expect I find him lacking.

Miller. Not his performance, as usual I don't have a problem with that, but his attitude has sucked of late. His an emotional guy but things are clearly getting to him and it seems to me that his had enough. I have no problem with the upfront, honest personality but it's crossed the line in to 'I'm just sick of all of you' for me now.
I agree with your point about Miller. His attitude has been bad for the team at least since Grier screened the goal in the Philly playoff series.

Old
05-01-2013, 07:24 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob582 View Post
I agree with your point about Miller. His attitude has been bad for the team at least since Grier screened the goal in the Philly playoff series.
Damn, Grier. I miss him. Great team first guy.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 03:37 PM
SabresFanInLA

I posted the following list on the 'Inquiry For Your Team' thread on the NHL board. It regarded players only:

Biggest disappointment: Almost every single player disappointed, from the top six to the role players. The nominations are:

-- Tyler Ennis showing he's too much of a defensive liability to stick at center.

-- Mikhail Grigorenko looking to be years away from dealing with the speed of the NHL game.

-- Vanek again proving he's too inconsistent to be your top guy. If you disagree, you don't watch enough Sabres hockey or you're wearing stat goggles. Vanek plays two weeks on, two weeks off. And it's not just lack of linemate talent or nagging injuries when he's off. It's him playing poorly and making lazy decisions.

-- Pominville forgetting how to play D when the season still could've gone either way.

-- Marcus Foligno not playing with any passion or violence most games.

-- Tyler Myers constantly spazing out with the puck and making even simple plays harder on himself. Relax, dude.

-- Everything about LVP Drew Stafford, who couldn't even muster a late season surge to inflate his flagging trade value.

-- Ville Leino needing off-season surgery which might mean we can't amnesty him.

-- Kaleta further regressing to an offensive zero. A few years ago, when he potted 10 in 50ish games, I hoped he might be a future Ott/Third Liner. Well, it's the future, and my hopes are dashed.

-- Future AHLer Nathan Gerbe's one productive year proving to be an anomaly. What a bummer, I know we were all rooting for the little scamp.

-- John Scott failing as an enforcer by not punishing anyone who matters when they go after our skill guys.

-- Jochen Hecht's stick is where offense went to die.

-- Brayden McNabb not making the team.

-- Hodgson not keeping it up.

-- TJ Brennan apparently unable to hit the NHL-sized net with his heralded point shot. Until we trade him at a three-round loss.

-- Luke Adam not coming close to pushing for a spot.

-- Cody McCormick and Matt Ellis not providing any spark whatsoever, forcing the team to bring up Kevin Porter, thereby stripping Rochester of their captain and top center and severely limiting the chances of a long playoff run experience for the young guys down there.

-- Andrej Sekera plateauing at best.

-- Christian Ehrhoff not being able to hit the net for half the season on our 29th ranked powerplay. How many one goal games did we lose this season where our PP went 0-fer?

Apologies for the list. But it was a really bad season.

SabresFanInLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 04:06 PM
Niagaradad

vCash: 50
Finishing out of the playoffs AND with a crappy draft pick AGAIN!

Niagaradad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:28 AM
brian_griffin
"Elite Poster" ???

Individual players, coaching, gm, and overall team performance have been mentioned. I'll add two more:

1. Having Center Ice for the first time, yet finding so many Sabre broadcasts in standard definition.

2. The possibility RJ has called his last game.

brian_griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:43 AM
Tapu Fino
The Juice

Anyone who cheered for this team to lose, even if losing was the best course of action for the long term health of the franchise.

Tapu Fino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 07:13 PM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian_griffin View Post
Individual players, coaching, gm, and overall team performance have been mentioned. I'll add two more:

1. Having Center Ice for the first time, yet finding so many Sabre broadcasts in standard definition.
Pretty sure this is 100% dependent on your provider, but yeah it would suck. (DTV charges a bit more for Center Ice, but they also let me have the MSG HD feed for every (non-national) game, so it's worth it)

sba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 08:01 PM
Eichel15
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to Eichel15
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkimLom View Post
Only REAL disappointment - Darcy is still GM of the Buffalo Sabres. Everything else is tied to him. Players, personnel, makeup of team...Everything on the Hockey side and he still has a job here.

I can understand why Terry and Ted kept Darcy, and I somewhat could get on board with their explanation. But to see a team and its players' skills and energy deteriorate so quickly in the 3 years Terry has owned the team should be big red flags. I can see if these were a handful of guys but it seemed to be MOST if not all the players. What worries me, is the energy the young guys showed(Pysyk, Flynn, Porter) could could go away like the energy shown from the past young kids(Myers, Foligno, Ennis) only Ennis, Foligno, and Myers have more skill.

Sure this falls on the players, but at the same time your GM needs to be able to know how the locker room is behaving so he can tweak his roster. But I don't think Darcy has any clue what is going on in there. I think his lack of quality moves to change things, shows this. This attitude and quality of play was not a a small sample of the season, it was this whole season and started showing through all the way from two years ago.

Nothing will change until we see changes from management and the men who make the roster decisions.

Of course this is my opinion
This. Clean and succinct.

Eichel15 is offline   Reply With Quote