HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Who should we draft?

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 07:07 AM
Gaps

vCash: 500
I don't know the details of the shoulder injury, but the latest I've read is that the surgery was done a few weeks ago, it was successful and he's expected to make a full recovery. The doctors couldn't tell how long it will take exactly. The worst case would be 6 months, but Barkov thinks it won't take that long.

He was operated very soon after sustaining the injury and there's absolutely no way they're taking any risks with this kid. Prospects like him don't come around very often here. He's very valuable to Tappara and they're going to be in a lot of trouble if he leaves for the NHL after the summer and they need to find someone to replace him. I don't know if it makes you guys feel any better, but he's getting the best possible treatment and we do have some excellent orthopedic surgeons here.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:23 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Appearently Poile said this morning that he really like Nich and had "lots of converstaions with his agent". "His dream is the NHL". "Hard to pass up if he is available"

NO NO NO NO NO ABORT

Old
04-30-2013, 07:36 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
Appearently Poile said this morning that he really like Nich and had "lots of converstaions with his agent". "His dream is the NHL". "Hard to pass up if he is available"

NO NO NO NO NO ABORT
The only thing I have against Nich is that pesky little KHL contract which is enough reason to avoid him all together.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:38 AM
hockey diva

His dream may be to play in the NHL but I doubt it is for the Nashville Predators. Additionally he still has 2 years left on his KHL contract. If Poile goes with him, he should be fired on the spot!

Old
04-30-2013, 07:38 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
The only thing I have against Nich is that pesky little KHL contract which is enough reason to avoid him all together.
If we had pick #7 or 8, awesome.

When Barkov will still be there, no thanks.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:47 AM
thomast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaps View Post
I don't know the details of the shoulder injury, but the latest I've read is that the surgery was done a few weeks ago, it was successful and he's expected to make a full recovery. The doctors couldn't tell how long it will take exactly. The worst case would be 6 months, but Barkov thinks it won't take that long.

He was operated very soon after sustaining the injury and there's absolutely no way they're taking any risks with this kid. Prospects like him don't come around very often here. He's very valuable to Tappara and they're going to be in a lot of trouble if he leaves for the NHL after the summer and they need to find someone to replace him. I don't know if it makes you guys feel any better, but he's getting the best possible treatment and we do have some excellent orthopedic surgeons here.
Tappara team doctor Michel Tanus who tells about the injury and recovery time. No need for speculation.

http://yle.fi/urheilu/aleksander_bar...alussa/6561677

Last edited by thomast: 04-30-2013 at 08:01 AM.
Old
04-30-2013, 08:10 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

This is the full dialogue, re: Nicushkin

Poile was asked if the Radulov situation would scare him off Nicushkin if available, and he said, "Every player is different. That's a very special player, and if he was available it might be hard to pass him up. We've spoken to his agent a couple of times, he says his dream is to play in the NHL and he wants to come over...obviously as it gets closer to the draft and the combine, we'll have conversations with agents and players to get a better read"

Went on to say that they consider 6 players in this draft to be "special," and they're excited to be getting one of them.

I'm as nervous as others about the "factor" with Nicushkin, but at the same time...you guys want someone that scores at will. Nicushkin is considered Russia's best pure goal scorer since Ovechkin(even ahead of Yakupov). He's 6'4, skates like the wind, and has a laser shot.

Sure, Barkov is the safer player...he could end up to be like Ryan Getzlaf...or...he could also easily end up like Olli Jokinen.

There are pros and cons to both.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:20 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I'd stay away from Nich for the reasoning that he still has 2 years left on his KHL contract. No thanks.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:23 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
You have to remember there is a game within a game that these GM will be playing until they make their pick. Poile may be saying this about Nicushkin in hopes that someone above him will take interest and take him leaving us with Mack or Drouin.

Also Nicushkin does have a 2 year contract and the word is he is attempting to get out of it so he can play in the NHL next season. If he can't get that worked out he has a clause in the contract that would allow him to come play in the NHL the next season and skip the last year of his KHL contract.

I would take a lot of what Poile says up until the draft with a grain of salt. There will be a lot of posturing going on until then by all the GM's.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:26 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I'd stay away from Nich for the reasoning that he still has 2 years left on his KHL contract. No thanks.
Even if it takes Barkov two years to be ready for the NHL, anyway? Or Lindholm?

There are two sure fire NHL players in this draft...Mackinnon and Jones. A couple of other "maybes."

I know it would be great to get a shiny new toy for the fall, but you have to take the best overall player, not the one that can play the soonest.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:35 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post
You have to remember there is a game within a game that these GM will be playing until they make their pick. Poile may be saying this about Nicushkin in hopes that someone above him will take interest and take him leaving us with Mack or Drouin.

Also Nicushkin does have a 2 year contract and the word is he is attempting to get out of it so he can play in the NHL next season. If he can't get that worked out he has a clause in the contract that would allow him to come play in the NHL the next season and skip the last year of his KHL contract.

I would take a lot of what Poile says up until the draft with a grain of salt. There will be a lot of posturing going on until then by all the GM's.
True. Like when that Avs said they hadn't decided on Jones

Old
04-30-2013, 08:45 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
Even if it takes Barkov two years to be ready for the NHL, anyway? Or Lindholm?

There are two sure fire NHL players in this draft...Mackinnon and Jones. A couple of other "maybes."

I know it would be great to get a shiny new toy for the fall, but you have to take the best overall player, not the one that can play the soonest.
I thought Barkov was the general consensus #4 pick anyways though.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:51 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomast View Post
Tappara team doctor Michel Tanus who tells about the injury and recovery time. No need for speculation.

http://yle.fi/urheilu/aleksander_bar...alussa/6561677
I was about half way through the article when I discovered I don't read Finnish very well.....
Google translate worked fine on this one though. So start of summer doesn't sound bad at all.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:54 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I thought Barkov was the general consensus #4 pick anyways though.
On most lists, but some lists have Nicushkin at number 2. The ones putting him down 8-10 are factoring in the KHL scare. If his name was Vince Nicholson and he was from Swift Current, Sasketchewan, his name would be thrown about for first overall.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:00 AM
RaiderDoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona5 View Post

I was just going to post this.

All it takes is one GM to fall in love with Nikulshin and then move up to get him because he's afraid we'll take him, and then maybe Drouin/Mack fall to us.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:41 AM
maplepred

Really though. If nichushkin does come over to North America in the next year, he could end up being the steal of the draft outside of top three. Although I think same could be said about barkov. It will be a tough call, but poile was right about one thing, not every player is the same (ie: radulov)

Old
04-30-2013, 09:48 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Wow...we have two months (from today) to speculate. Sweet

Old
04-30-2013, 09:54 AM
FVM
60 degrees north

vCash: 1301
Regarding Barkov, he doesn't speak much English at all, which could make it difficult for him to make the jump next season. If you guys end up taking him Rinne could be huge in being the translator in the beginning and making him comfortable in North America. So he's a fit in that sense too. I'd really like to see Barkov in Nashville, I think he could flourish in that culture of two way play and hard work.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:11 AM
PredsV82
Snot Doc

vCash: 0
every time someone starts talking about Barkov "2 way game" I just shudder because thats code for "this guy is Legwand 2.0"

we need someone who is going to score at least 25 goals and have at least 45-50 assists year in and year out... if thats barkov, then cool beans... but if not, then Id almost rather take a chance on the Russian if Mac or Drouin arent available

Old
04-30-2013, 10:17 AM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercalius View Post
Some good analysis regarding Barkov:

http://flyersfaithful.com/2013/04/26...-eric-lindros/

Videos:

Highlight Montage: Check out the 1:40 mark and the pin-point pass. Love his natural knack for rebounds also.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZvj7bZJAA0

Perfect Reverse-Datsyuk SO goal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iSl3esllJI
I was going to post this exact thing. Barkov has deceptive skating but doesn't play a game that shows it often. There are a few scouts who say his skating is deceptively fast and better than many think.

Even if this wasnt case, he plays a game perfectly suited to the NHL. He's been conspired to anze kopitar in his game (including skating but minus his defensive prowess). Big centers like him can thrive without fantastic skating. Plus a smaller ice surface is actually a bigger advatbage for him. Allows him to use his longer stride to make up most differences in speed between him and faster players.

I can't wait to see what he could do with a talented winter too. A guy like forsberg on his wing could be huge for him. He's so smart and he's going to make players around him better as a result. But Putin him with a player with strong offensive instincts could make him that my more offensively effective.

Plus at 17, it's highly likely he's still growing. That alone could be a big reason for his skating bein a (small) issue. Once he stops growing, an improvement in skatin should be seen. He won have to deal with a little bit longer o a stride or little bit more weight to deal with (for growing).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preddownsouth View Post
I disagree. If Buffalo is blowing it up and starting a rebuild they are going to want good young prospects and draft picks back. Vanek had what amounted to a good half-season. I dig the guy but he hasn't played a full season in years and is more of a 60-70 point guy rather than a 80-90 pt guy. He's a notch above Erat but not much higher. And most ppl think we got a good deal by just getting Forsberg for Erat.
Historically Darcy regier has very high player values. And according to Elliot's Friedman he often asks for a lot for his players. Vanek won't go cheap.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:17 AM
Stranger

Maybe these worries are unfounded, but the only thing that scares me with Barkov is yeah he had those stats as a 17 year old, but look at a guy like Granlund who put up great stats in SM-liiga but has struggled this year.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:24 AM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurGocIsAnAwesomeGoc View Post
This is the full dialogue, re: Nicushkin

Poile was asked if the Radulov situation would scare him off Nicushkin if available, and he said, "Every player is different. That's a very special player, and if he was available it might be hard to pass him up. We've spoken to his agent a couple of times, he says his dream is to play in the NHL and he wants to come over...obviously as it gets closer to the draft and the combine, we'll have conversations with agents and players to get a better read"

Went on to say that they consider 6 players in this draft to be "special," and they're excited to be getting one of them.

I'm as nervous as others about the "factor" with Nicushkin, but at the same time...you guys want someone that scores at will. Nicushkin is considered Russia's best pure goal scorer since Ovechkin(even ahead of Yakupov). He's 6'4, skates like the wind, and has a laser shot.

Sure, Barkov is the safer player...he could end up to be like Ryan Getzlaf...or...he could also easily end up like Olli Jokinen.

There are pros and cons to both.
Safer doesn't necessarily mean lower upside. Barkov has one thin over jokinen and that's work ethic. Jokinen always had issues with that (not massive ones albeit but it was an issue nonetheless). Barkov has that crazy drive and wrk ethic to abe constantly improving. Watching him from last year to this ear he worked on two things, after recognizing tem and admiring they were weaknesses. Skating and defensive play. His skating took huge steps and as he's now considered one of the best defensive players In the fel.

Not to mention jokinen is actually a pretty underrated player who hit 90 points twice, 70 another one, and thirty goals four times.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:29 AM
theIceWookie
formerly FinnishKule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Maybe these worries are unfounded, but the only thing that scares me with Barkov is yeah he had those stats as a 17 year old, but look at a guy like Granlund who put up great stats in SM-liiga but has struggled this year.
Because a rookie has never struggled before right? Not to mention that Granlund is smaller and likely going to take more time to adapt to the game because of it.

It's not really a good comparison between the two players. Not to mention Granlund was older than barkov when he put up similar numbers. There really isn't a comparable player to barkov
In recent or even longer FEL history.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:53 AM
Persona5

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
every time someone starts talking about Barkov "2 way game" I just shudder because thats code for "this guy is Legwand 2.0"

we need someone who is going to score at least 25 goals and have at least 45-50 assists year in and year out... if thats barkov, then cool beans... but if not, then Id almost rather take a chance on the Russian if Mac or Drouin arent available
Just because a player plays defense doesn't always mean they can't produce offensively. He has tons of upside in both areas and many project him to be a number 1 center in the NHL.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:54 AM
maplepred

Barkov is going to be special. I also think nichushkin is as well, so if its between the two, we take barkov based on him not being in khl

Closed Thread