HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Part 3 (Flyers own the 11th overall pick)

Closed Thread

Old
04-30-2013, 08:58 AM
FLYguy3911

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
How this idiot still has a job with TSN in a hockey role amazes me. Ristolainen as the 25th best player in the draft? Where does he come up with this crap? No wonder why the guy doesn't have a job in the NHL. Just a loss for words with the man's evaluation of talent.
How dare he goes against the consensus (he's ranked 20th not 25th). People said the same thing last year when he ranked Grigorenko 20th. It's a projection of their careers, not where he thinks they will go. He's seen these guys play a hell of a lot more than all of us have.

Old
04-30-2013, 08:59 AM
ilovetheflyers8

It seems that all the nhl team websites have this draft player ranking list http://flyers.nhl.com/club/draftpros...owse.htm?cat=1 .

Old
04-30-2013, 09:02 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
It seems that all the nhl team websites have this draft player ranking list http://flyers.nhl.com/club/draftpros...owse.htm?cat=1 .
Central Scouting's final list.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:03 AM
Jack de la Hoya

I really hope someone falls in love with Shinkaruk. That's our best chance for Ristolainen to slip to 11.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:07 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

We should start a draft pool for who we think the Flyers will get. I'm putting my money on a center!

04-30-2013, 09:18 AM
Curufinwe

I hope it's a defenseman. Picking a center will just mean they trade one of the centers they already have and probably get fleeced.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:20 AM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
I'd prefer the odds be closer to even--or some sort of supplemental lottery to reward late-season pushes (I've suggested a separate lottery for the 2nd overall in which the chance of success is inverse to the record over the last 10 games or something).

But I don't hate it because Edmonton can get the 1st overall. If we were working under the old system, and somehow managed to win the lottery, how disappointing would it be to "only" move up to 7th?

I think I despise the new system because the purpose of the lottery is to help bad teams get better. The good aspect about this system is that you can only drop one place. But there are years when the worst team in the league is obvious - Columbus last year, the Flyers in 2007, et al.

In a year when a player like Crosby is available, how wrong would it be for the 14th worse team to acquire him over the worst team in the league?

I understand the system is in place to help keep teams from tanking, but to the best of my knowledge, that was only done the year of Mario Lemieux - so one time in history. They should have each GM vote for the worst team in the league, not including their own team, and then that team gets the first pick.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:32 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Not sure whether this belongs in this thread of the "overhaul" thread, but with rumors that Edmonton might be looking to trade down from 7 to take Curtis Lazar, would there be value in the Flyers moving their 3rd round pick to jump 4 spots?

11th + 72nd for 7th?

Edmonton doesn't have their own 3rd.

EDIT: Might be a bit light on value. I think 11th + our 2nd for 7th + EDM 3rd would be better--but, as stated above, EDM doesn't have a 3rd. Maybe there's no way to even it out.

Last edited by Jack de la Hoya: 04-30-2013 at 09:38 AM.
Old
04-30-2013, 09:36 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Not sure whether this belongs in this thread of the "overhaul" thread, but with rumors that Edmonton might be looking to trade down from 7 to take Curtis Lazar, would there be value in the Flyers moving their 3rd round pick to jump 4 spots?

11th + 72nd for 7th?

Edmonton doesn't have their own 3rd.

EDIT: Might be a bit light on value. I think 11th + our 2nd for 7th + EDM 3rd would be better--but, as stated above, EDM doesn't have a 3rd.
Yeah I'd absolutely do that!

Old
04-30-2013, 09:43 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Yeah I'd absolutely do that!
Which player are you after at 7 who definitely won't be there at 11?

Old
04-30-2013, 09:44 AM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
It's probably more of a guarantee for Nurse or Rist.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
The premise of the deal is that the top-six is: Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, and Lindholm (if Monahan is left, I don't think EDM trades out).

Trading up to #7 guarantees you the first pick from Nurse, Ristolainen, and Zadorov. One of those guys probably slips to 11 anyway, but if you think one of them is a clear cut above the other two, then it might be worth moving a mid-3rd.

Old
04-30-2013, 09:47 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
The premise of the deal is that the top-six is: Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan, and Lindholm (if Monahan is left, I don't think EDM trades out).

Trading up to #7 guarantees you the first pick from Nurse, Ristolainen, and Zadorov. One of those guys probably slips to 11 anyway, but if you think one of them is a clear cut above the other two, then it might be worth moving a mid-3rd.
I agree with this. To be honest, at least to me, the fact that they signed Kyle Flanagan, who looks to be a promising young player, kind of makes losing a 3rd (where I would think they'd take a forward like Flanagan anyway) easier to swallow to address a team need.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:

Trading up to #7 guarantees you the first pick from Nurse, Ristolainen, and Zadorov. One of those guys probably slips to 11 anyway
Which is why I think they just should stand pat. Even if all of those guys are gone at 11, Ryan Pulock will be there.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:04 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Certainly possible, but I don't see Calgary taking Nichushkin--particularly not if Monahan is on the board. I'm not sure Feater can afford to wait two years for something to show from the draft (not after picking a long-term project in Jankowski last year).
Yeah that makes sense. If that's the case, I think you can put Monahan as Calgary's pick and Nichushkin's to NJD and give Shinkaruk to Buffalo. Or Buffalo could take Risto if Monahan isn't there, which would change Dallas's pick, which may then change Philly's pick. Either way I think the Flyers end up with one of Risto, Zadorov, or Pulock, which I would be fine with.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:08 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Which is why I think they just should stand pat. Even if all of those guys are gone at 11, Ryan Pulock will be there.
I would rather take a forward at the 11 spot than draft Pulock there. I would look to trade down to draft Pulock and pick up another draft pick in the process.

You may take a gamble with him not being there. Mirco Mueller or Josh Morrissey could possibly be there in 12-20 range also. So there will still be other options.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 04-30-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old
04-30-2013, 10:15 AM
Curufinwe

This mock draft from today has some interesting picks on the defensive side, notably Carolina taking Ristolianen at 5th and Edmonton taking Zadorov 7th. Philly takes Nurse at 11th, Winnipeg take Mueller at 13, and the Islanders take Pulock at 15th.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...he-first-round

Old
04-30-2013, 10:19 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
If they think Pulock is on part with the rest, then they should stay put--but I'd be a bit surprised if that's the case. Other than his shot (which, granted, we could use), I'm not sure he's a great fit--smallish for his position, just an average skater for his size, not overly physical, good but not great hockey IQ, etc.

While I don't think it will happen, there's definitely a chance that the top four defenseman are all off the board by the time the Flyers pick:

Quote:
1. COL - Jones
2. FLA - Mackinnon
3. TBL - Drouin
4. NSH - Barkov
5. CAR - Monahan
6. CGY - Lindholm
7. EDM - Nichushkin
8. BUF - Ristolainen
9. NJD - Nurse
10. DAL - Zadorov
Play around with the individual selections if you want, but Shinkaruk basically has to go top 10 to guarantee that one of them drops.

Quote:
This mock draft from today has some interesting picks on the defensive side, notably Carolina taking Ristolianen at 5th and Edmonton taking Zadorov 7th. Philly takes Nurse at 11th, Winnipeg take Mueller at 13, and the Islanders take Pulock at 15th.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...he-first-round
That mock is pretty awful, to be honest.

2. There's no way FLA takes Drouin over Mackinnon
5. With Faulk, McBain, and Murphy in the system, I'm not sure I see CAR reaching for a defenseman with a developed two-way game over a potential shut-down / intimidating guy like Nurse (let alone the other forwards they are more likely to take).
6. I can't see CGY taking Nichushkin. Feaster is on too short of a leash. He's too much of a question mark for a team that needs an impact (and marketable) player.
7-9. I guess these make sense, if you accept the premise of 1-6. I could definitely imagine a team reaching for Zadorov over Nurse.
10. I'd imagine that DAL would want a player with a bit more offensive upside--Shinkaruk would seem a better selection than Domi here, but whatever.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:23 AM
Jack de la Hoya

delete

Old
04-30-2013, 10:28 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYguy3911 View Post
How dare he goes against the consensus (he's ranked 20th not 25th). People said the same thing last year when he ranked Grigorenko 20th. It's a projection of their careers, not where he thinks they will go. He's seen these guys play a hell of a lot more than all of us have.
I actually like his lists. I like how it gives a different perspective than just rating players in the present time. I believe he had Ryan Murray rated outside the top 10 also. I kind of remember an uproar about that too.

I'm not really a fan of Button as a regular hockey analyst but I do enjoy his insights on prospects/drafts.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:29 AM
McNasty

If Nurse and Risto are there I would be fine with Pulock, we could certainly use on of those pure offensive D men, and having that rocket of a shot on the PP would be nice for a change.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Curufinwe

So according to this the Flyers have all their picks this year, except for the fourth rounder that's going to LA for Gagne.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com...ure/Flyers.htm

Old
04-30-2013, 10:45 AM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
That mock is pretty awful, to be honest.

2. There's no way FLA takes Drouin over Mackinnon
5. With Faulk, McBain, and Murphy in the system, I'm not sure I see CAR reaching for a defenseman with a developed two-way game over a potential shut-down / intimidating guy like Nurse (let alone the other forwards they are more likely to take).
6. I can't see CGY taking Nichushkin. Feaster is on too short of a leash. He's too much of a question mark for a team that needs an impact (and marketable) player.
7-9. I guess these make sense, if you accept the premise of 1-6. I could definitely imagine a team reaching for Zadorov over Nurse.
10. I'd imagine that DAL would want a player with a bit more offensive upside--Shinkaruk would seem a better selection than Domi here, but whatever.
Mock Drafts in general are usually pretty bad. Teams draft boards look a lot different than the ones on the scouting services. Outside of the first few picks it usually looks nothing like what actually happens. Especially with Hockey because most these kids aren't being drafted for the upcoming year but for a couple years down the road. All it takes is for one GM to get cute and mess up the consensus.

We still have the combine and the interviewing processes too. So some may rise or fall because that.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:46 AM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

I admit I'm partially influenced by a growing fascination with Swedish defensemen, but what is the thinking on Robert Hagg? I don't see the Flyers taking him at #11, but if Risto, Nurse, and Zadorov are gone would it make sense to consider trading down? Based on the little I've seen of him (highlights from the WJC) I'd be tempted to take him over Pulock. He seems to be a real good skater with good offensive instincts and poise.

Not sure how good he is defensively but it seems he would fill the Flyers' PMD need fairly nicely.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:03 AM
Jack de la Hoya

Stars fans seem to believe that the organization might be warming toward Shinkaruk. Could be completely off-base, of course, but if one of DAL or NJD takes Shinkaruk, it would seemingly guarantee one of the top-four defenseman sliding to 11.

Closed Thread