HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

General Predators Talk Part III

View Poll Results: Will we see any games for the 12-13 season?
Yes 12 32.43%
Nope 8 21.62%
Partial season 17 45.95%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-28-2013, 08:30 PM
drwpreds

vCash: 500
Anyone see the kid with a Predators jersey at the Braves/Tigers game in Detroit (on ESPN Sunday night baseball)??

Was riding a carousal, representing the Preds!

Pretty cool

Last edited by drwpreds: 04-28-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 11:01 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Was reading up on the 2009 draft, and I know it's early, but Ellis is looking like an iffy pick. A few guys taken after him:

Kulikov
Leddy
Rundblad
Kreider
Marcus Johansen

(2nd rounders)
Ryan O'Reilly
Jakob Silfverberg
Dmitri Orlov

Kulikov, Leddy, and Rundblad all would have been better D picks IMO

Old
04-30-2013, 06:28 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Howard on the radio this am said that Trotz was really dogging Smith and SK. Anyone know exactly what was said?

Old
04-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Howard on the radio this am said that Trotz was really dogging Smith and SK. Anyone know exactly what was said?
http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...stitsyn-smith/

Old
04-30-2013, 06:49 AM
glenngineer

I think that's funny. Fisher didn't get called out when he wasn't producing early. What about Legwand and Erat? They were as much of the problem as SK and Smith. Where was Weber the first 10 games of the season? No offense but if you're going to call guys out, call them all out, not just certain guys. Maybe if Smith wasn't playing on the third line with hack talent he might've been a threat more. Maybe if Trotz had broken up Fisher/SK/Erat they would've gotten going. Oh wait, Smith/SK/Clune were doing all right there for a while production wise and what happened, they got broken up. It was the only line going for a while yet they got broken up. Smart coaching move. Yet here he is after the season complaining about it? Why not call the entire team out when they weren't producing? Let's single out guys instead after the fact. That's bush league IMO. It's a chicken ***** approach and then we wonder why these young guys continually struggle in our system.

Maybe the GM and staff were wrong in their assumption that these guys are top 6 talents and should be producing as such. Maybe they need to learn to assess their talent better. Maybe they need to put these guys in a position to succeed. Maybe instead of changing systems like Trotz did he should've stuck with what these guys already knew and had success with last year but no one is calling out the coach for his poor approach to the season. If I were the players I'd be all over him in the media if he's going to do what he did. Good move their Trotzie.

I don't care about the injury bug, this team stunk before they all started happening. But hey, it was a short season because of the lockout so he'll get another pass. Then we'll suck next year but he'll get another pass because we're in a bit of a youth movement. Then some other excuse will be made later on down the road as to why we can never get over the hump. How long before this ends is my question because we're not going to get past this point with Trotz at the helm. Plenty of good young coaches out there ready for their shot. Time to make the move.

Old
04-30-2013, 06:54 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Maybe he called them all out in the lockerroom and Fisher, Legwand and Weber responded, Smith and SK never did.

I will agree Fisher, Legwand, Erat and Weber all started the season awful, but they did turn it around. Smith and SK started bad, and SK finished worse than he started.

Can't really call out Erat when he's no longer on the team.

Old
04-30-2013, 07:50 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Maybe he called them all out in the lockerroom and Fisher, Legwand and Weber responded, Smith and SK never did.

I will agree Fisher, Legwand, Erat and Weber all started the season awful, but they did turn it around. Smith and SK started bad, and SK finished worse than he started.

Can't really call out Erat when he's no longer on the team.
this. Weber and Fisher both got their act together. the slow start was due to the lockout, but after 20 games they should have all been in mid-season form

SK acted like he didnt give a crap all season.. he played just like someone who knew his contract wasnt up for renewal until the next year, which was a first for him since he joined the team. I suspect if we dont trade him SK has a much better season next year.

As far as Smith, I just dont know if the problem is lack of talent, lack of effort, or something between the ears...

Last edited by PredsV82: 04-30-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old
04-30-2013, 08:02 AM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post
this. Weber and Fisher both got their act together. the slow start was due to the lockout, but after 20 games they should have all been in mid-season form

SK acted like he didnt give a crap all season.. he played just like someone who knew his contract wasnt up for renewal until the next year, which was a fist for him since he joined the team. I suspect if we dont trade him SK has a much better season next year.

As far as Smith, I just dont know if the problem is lack of talent, lack of effort, or something between the ears...
I think that's the case, unfortunately ... his #'s since the missed open net goal are just absolutely abysmal

34 points in his last 99 games

Old
04-30-2013, 08:33 AM
WartracePred

Why not call the entire team out when they weren't producing? Let's single out guys instead after the fact. That's bush league IMO. It's a chicken ***** approach and then we wonder why these young guys continually struggle in our [/QUOTE]

3 and 4 goals respectively for the entire season for projected top 6 players should be criticized. Especially with the PP time they both had. Hell, didn't Clune have 3 goals??? SK led his team in scoring in the KHL. He has skill. He didn't want to come back this season. He was pissed about his brother getting benched during the playoffs last year. He skated to the bench on a powerplay breakaway. He has some issues to say the least.

In hindsight, Smith probably should have spent a season with the Ads.

Other players struggled at times during the season. But not the entire season. They were healthy with quality ice time and did very little.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:01 AM
deanwormer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WartracePred View Post
3 and 4 goals respectively for the entire season for projected top 6 players should be criticized. Especially with the PP time they both had. Hell, didn't Clune have 3 goals???
SK - 3g,12a Smith 4,8 Clune 4,5.
Basically, our scrap-heap pickup who spent 113mins in the PB and averaged less than 9.5mins/game and saw 0 PP time was as productive as 2 expected top 6 guys. Anyone else top 6 managed to get to at least .5/ppg. These 2 were the clowns, not RC.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:26 AM
Jarnberg

I'm assuming we are counting on them for next year's roster. Coming out and dogging the players in the press doesn't really help trade value; and yes, just because they had a bad season doesn't mean they all of a sudden have no value.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:32 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsV82 View Post

SK acted like he didnt give a crap all season.. he played just like someone who knew his contract wasnt up for renewal until the next year, which was a first for him since he joined the team. I suspect if we dont trade him SK has a much better season next year.

Yet other teams players seemed to show up. Sorry. Not buying that as an excuse. It's funny how only our guys are given a break because of the lockout but other teams players were ready to play when the puck dropped. Every team was on the same playing field. Less than a week to prepare for the season yet other teams were prepared to play and we weren't. Getting it together is great but when you have a small window of time, you can't afford to come out slow.

Old
04-30-2013, 10:56 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtrickhayOrnqvistpay View Post
Yet other teams players seemed to show up. Sorry. Not buying that as an excuse. It's funny how only our guys are given a break because of the lockout but other teams players were ready to play when the puck dropped. Every team was on the same playing field. Less than a week to prepare for the season yet other teams were prepared to play and we weren't. Getting it together is great but when you have a small window of time, you can't afford to come out slow.
Most of our guys didn't play anywhere. Rinne did and got hurt and Kostitsyn played the entire season in Russia. Other than that our guys sat at home. Vancouver had the same problem and look at their slow start, just as bad as us, we just got racked with injuries at the end of the year and that compounded matters.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:29 AM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Most of our guys didn't play anywhere. Rinne did and got hurt and Kostitsyn played the entire season in Russia. Other than that our guys sat at home. Vancouver had the same problem and look at their slow start, just as bad as us, we just got racked with injuries at the end of the year and that compounded matters.
So it's basically excuses. The slow start is because of the lockout and guys not playing anywhere. The back half of the season is because of injuries. Got it.

I have this funny feeling people are going to blame the entire season on the injury bug that destroyed this team but in reality, we were faltering long before then and it annoys me to see the media, the players and the staff continue to use that as their platform as to why the season went off course. How about some of them stand up and say, hey, we weren't ready to play. We didn't bring it. Instead, the injury excuse is going to be used and us as fans are going to run with it. Sorry, not buying it. How about they own up and say, we sucked, we were inconsistent, we just didn't have it together. That would take accountability.

You also say our guys sat at home. Lots of guys did. Do you mean to tell me the Hawks had all their guys playing somewhere else and they were ready to go because of it? You know, guys sitting at home and not being prepared is on them. They know what it takes to prepare for a season. They've gone through training camps. Maybe they should've been working a little harder in their informal workouts? Maybe be ready to play?

Old
04-30-2013, 11:46 AM
token grinder

we can sit and make excuses as to we we sucked out of the gates, but truth be told we didn't suck out of the gates. 10-12 games into the season we were as high as 4th in the league. We had 20 points in 15 games and 23 in 20, both paces good enough to get in the playoffs. We went out west and didn't get the job done. blame injuries, poor coaching, poor performance, whatever. But it is wrong to blame the lockout as we started out pretty darn well.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:55 AM
Top 6 Spaling

Agreed. Way too many excuses around here. It didn't happen this year. That's the way it goes. Come back strong next year.

Old
04-30-2013, 11:57 AM
Webersmashpuck

vCash: 1088
Quote:
So it's basically excuses. The slow start is because of the lockout and guys not playing anywhere. The back half of the season is because of injuries. Got it.

I have this funny feeling people are going to blame the entire season on the injury bug that destroyed this team but in reality, we were faltering long before then and it annoys me to see the media, the players and the staff continue to use that as their platform as to why the season went off course. How about some of them stand up and say, hey, we weren't ready to play. We didn't bring it. Instead, the injury excuse is going to be used and us as fans are going to run with it. Sorry, not buying it. How about they own up and say, we sucked, we were inconsistent, we just didn't have it together. That would take accountability.

You also say our guys sat at home. Lots of guys did. Do you mean to tell me the Hawks had all their guys playing somewhere else and they were ready to go because of it? You know, guys sitting at home and not being prepared is on them. They know what it takes to prepare for a season. They've gone through training camps. Maybe they should've been working a little harder in their informal workouts? Maybe be ready to play?
Yes we really faltered long before this season, like last year when we devastated the Red Wings in the playoffs.

And yes we had a slow start to the year, but we actually were in playoff position. And yes the Blackhawks did have players playing elsewhere. Injuries caused us to drop out, then with the Erat thing it seemed like the team decided to mail the season in and try next year.

It amazes me that a down year losing all the top forwards to injury after perhaps our most successful season has our team in the bottom feeding category. There were three things that I think screwed us.
1. Injuries
2. Loss of Suter and not signing a reliable 2nd pair defenseman. Josi did ok but Hannan was terrible.
3. Not having anyone to bail out the team due to mistakes. Rinne was human and with all our depth up due to injuries we were scraping the bottom of the barrel. Joonas Rask might never play in the NHL again and got his first point last game.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:01 PM
SavageSteve

While the injury bug played a significant role, it was obviously apparent that this team lacked enough offensive talent to free-lance like the Duck or 'Hawks did for the early part of the season and had the stink of a non-playoff team early in March when they should have ironed out bad habits and started scoring. Trotz is an 82 game coach whose system requires coaching, consistency, and buy-in to succeed and minimize the mistakes. Once the 48 game season hit, there was little time to work on ironing out all of the bad habits/tendencies that training camp and the October throw-away games generally do. Based on all of that, this season was an aberration, so I'm fine with him still being the coach after the crap-o-la season we've just endured and would only call for his head if next season is in the toilet in late-March hopefully Babcock is available.

I anticipate that SK and Smith will both be back and hopefully will have chips on their shoulders to prove the old man wrong via work ethic and re-enter the 'inner-circle of trust' or embark on KHL careers.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:20 PM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
whether you buy it or not as an excuse the fact is that Fisher and Weber got their **** together and started producing, SK and Smith never did. They had horrid years and the deserved to be called on it.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:48 PM
glenngineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webersmashpuck View Post
Yes we really faltered long before this season, like last year when we devastated the Red Wings in the playoffs.

And yes we had a slow start to the year, but we actually were in playoff position. And yes the Blackhawks did have players playing elsewhere. Injuries caused us to drop out, then with the Erat thing it seemed like the team decided to mail the season in and try next year.

It amazes me that a down year losing all the top forwards to injury after perhaps our most successful season has our team in the bottom feeding category. There were three things that I think screwed us.
1. Injuries
2. Loss of Suter and not signing a reliable 2nd pair defenseman. Josi did ok but Hannan was terrible.
3. Not having anyone to bail out the team due to mistakes. Rinne was human and with all our depth up due to injuries we were scraping the bottom of the barrel. Joonas Rask might never play in the NHL again and got his first point last game.
What does last season have to do with anything being discussed? The discussion is about this year.

I agree totally with number 2 above.

Injuries did hurt but still doesn't explain the lethargic start and what I perceived as lack of effort on most nights. This team thrives on a hard forecheck and effort and I just didn't see the all out effort on most nights.

Rinne was human.

I think we missed Tootoo more than we let on. While not an offensive force, he had the ability to change the momentum of a game with a thunderous hit or timely fight. I also think the toughness he brought to the ice was missing. While Clune became a favorite of mine, he is not really a good fighter at all and doesn't have the same impact Tootoo did as a momentum changer on the ice.

It wasn't until the last 3 games or so where guys were standing up for one another on the ice too. Not sure what that was about but we seemed to be 20 individuals as opposed to a team.

Luckily the injury bug is behind us, Poile knows what needs to happen and we've got the number 4 overall pick in the draft. Excited about next season.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:54 PM
token grinder

someone explain to me how we started off slow...

was it because of the OT losses?

As a team, we accumulated plenty of points. Individuals started out slow,but as a team, we were ok.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:59 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Agreed token.

We were 4th place after the first month.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:00 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
someone explain to me how we started off slow...

was it because of the OT losses?

As a team, we accumulated plenty of points. Individuals started out slow,but as a team, we were ok.
Statistically, yes...but we were getting outshot by nearly 20 shots every game, and had a good chunk of time where it was rare to even GET 20 shots.

We were getting dominated night in and night out, and essentially Rinne was hanging on for dear life. The point totals may not have reflected that accurately, but even 100 percent healthy, this team was getting it handed to them.

Old
04-30-2013, 01:57 PM
Persona5

vCash: 700
I knew when the season was shortened that our team could have issues. The loss of an all-star d-man that Weber was used to playing along side his entire career didn't help matters either. If Poile would have known Suter was bolting I think this past offseason would have gone a lot differently than it did but that is in the past now so oh well. (I'll always boo Suter though)

Our team started out very slow and to me it was mostly about figuring out where our peices would fit now. Weber had his worst start of a season in his career but if you check his point production he was right on par with his ppg standard even with that horrible start. Rinne was battling a lingering injury all year. We had some fowards not produce to the level we thought they shoudl or would. We had a ton of injuries.

With all that said there were a few bright spots as well this year. Wilson started to come into his own. Josi and Weber seemed to really work well together after a rough start. We traded an underperforming ageing forward for a top prospect. We tanked well enough to get a very good draft pick this year.

Of all the years for these things to happen this was the best one. Imagine having to go through an 82 game season like this one. I trust in Trotz and Poile to turn things around next season and have high hopes for this teams future.

Old
04-30-2013, 02:08 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Taking Bourque's numbers from this year and expanding them to an 82 games season, he was on pace for 26.5 goals. I doubt he ever reaches 30, or even 25, but let's not discount this guy as a nice piece going forward.

Closed Thread